(Topic ID: 217847)

Breakshot restarting

By Diospinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I am a bit cheesed off right now. I wanted to play a few games of breakshot today. But, it kept restarting me. Now, I have had a few issues with it restarting or freezing occasionally while playing it. But, generally if it would do it, it would only do it once during a gaming session. And my gaming sessions are about 30-90 minutes.
Today, it just kept freezing and/or restarting. I could play it for 15-20 minutes and then it could restart twice in a span of three minutes. Once I had it to where it would turn on, but it would not boot or post or whatever its called for pinball.
I do know the main board with the capacitors has the glue fix so that they don't break... Not sure if this is an issue with them. Don't really know whats going on. Would really appreciate any help or suggestions as I love this machine.
And lastly if it is something above my level to fix as I am a newb... Can someone please recommend trustworthy and competent pinball technician who might be able to fix it. I hired a guy when I first got the machine and it was really mostly a waste of 200 dollars. As he only fixed a few things, and not very well, and some of the fixes broke 5 minutes after he left. He was in and out in around 30 minutes and I just felt he didn't really give a crap.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I want to say this is a common issue, but your issue might well be something else entirely.
With that said, when I had the game, it would reset, and it was in fact the power switch in the bottom of the cabinet was crappy. I’ve heard of this same issue with other break shots too. Don’t want to get your hopes up to the simple fix, but it drove me mad until I wiggles that switch and found it to be the cause.
Good luck.

I don't think that is... Only because it freezes at times, and also restarts and then freezes during the boot process. I think if it was just a bad power switch it would restart, but the game wouldn't be freezing...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try and look into it.

Oh and for my location. I'm in Joliet Illinois. So if anyone knows any pinball repair people that good. Let me know.
Thanks.

#4 5 years ago

Okay... Really strange happenings afoot... So I tried to again today. After about 5 minutes it restarts on me. But, then I'm able to play it just fine for about 45-50 minutes. I'm sucking it up today and so I decided to just quit playing and relax.
Then about 45 minutes later, I decided to go for a second round.
Once again it restarts in about the first 5-10 minutes. But, then once again I'm able to play just fine for probably a little over an hour. Had some good games, some garbage games... Came close to cutthroat countdown... But, always just a hair away...
It just stinks as I didn't want to nudge it too much as I don't know whats causing it to restart.

I really would like to hear suggestions. Just strange that its working today fine... Could heat have something to do... My room doesn't have AC yet, as I still need to put in my wall unit. I'm doing it next week. So the temp is about 85 in the room... Could it just been too hot to run properly?
Breakshot is my baby, and I really don't ever want to part with it, and I'd like to get it full 100%
So I'd really like to pinpoint what the heck is going on.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

Is the game getting power from an extension cord from another outlet?

It is plugged straight into the wall. No extension cord. There is nothing else or was nothing else plugged into that outlet but this machine. I keep most of my stuff unplugged during the day to keep my bill down.
I did have a fan on in the next room, but that was a different outlet... No, I don't know if they share a breaker. But, I had the same fan on yesterday and it worked fine, besides the two restarts 5-10 minutes into my turning it on both times.

About the battery corrosion. I had the translight off recently to look at the boards, just to see if I could see anything wrong. Didn't notice any battery corrosion or anything bad there.
As for the connectors, I haven't taken them off to look at. I guess I will do that... Stupid question. If I reset those connectors will my high scores go away?

And then whats teh BR? If you could tell me what that is... I might be able to check it after a gaming session to see if I need to apply new heat sink.

Thanks for the response.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The boards seem to be some what fragile and I just remember reading about rebuilding the board with the two large caps. As they are usually the culprit
I’ll try to find that post.
Some info
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Capcom_Repair
Some repair info
http://www.pinrepair.com/capcom/
Ahhh found it, the diy capacitor fix
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-breakshot-capacitor-fix

Yeah... My capacitors are glued together for the fix. Not saying its not them... But, they had the capacitor fix before I bought the machine. I do have one or two spare ones. Which is nice. I Think I got a lot of good things to look out for and check out. Thanks guys!!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 209.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-restarting?tu=Diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.