Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0657 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Just bought my first pin (Capcom Breakshot) a few days ago and I've been looking it over and troubleshooting some small problems. I've noticed that the machine I bought has an extra power supply inside of it that doesn't seem to be a part of the original configuration. I attached a picture. The voltage regulator was taken out and the 5 volts is coming from the power supply. Seems to work with no problems, but the power is not removed after the switch is flipped off which means the CPU and sound boards are running continuously unless the plug is pulled.

Anyone ever seen this setup, and know if there are problems associated with it? I was planning on placing the power that runs to the power supply inline with the power switch so that it turns off with it, but was curious if I should put the original voltage regulator back on the power board and remove the extra power supply altogether.

IMG_0657 (resized).jpgIMG_0657 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Anyone ever seen this setup, and know if there are problems associated with it?

Yeah, it happens when an operator doesn't have a failed regulator on-hand. It works, and gets the game back up and running, but it's not "correct". As you mentioned, the boards stay powered up even if you turn off main power for the game, since I'm assuming the power supply is plugged into the service outlet. But, in an arcade, that doesn't matter a whole lot, since the outlets are usually turned off instead of each individual game.

Quoted from davisjl1979:

but was curious if I should put the original voltage regulator back on the power board and remove the extra power supply altogether.

That's what I would do. But keep in mind, that might not be the only problem with the 5v circuit.

#3 6 years ago

The big capacitors are very heavy since they stick out off the board quite a bit and it puts a major strain on the feedthroughs on the power driver board. The traces run on the top side to the big capacitors, through to the other side of the board and then to their designations. So very likely if you fixed the feedthroughs or ran wires on the back of the board to eliminate the top side traces, you could remove that non-factory power supply.

This is a common problem with the original power driver board.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks ForceFlow for the response. I think I'll leave it for now, and put it inline with the power switch.

#5 6 years ago

Here is a thread I helped out with that talks/shows more about the damaged feedthroughs under the big capacitors. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-breakshot-dmd-voltage-trouble-shooting-also-lighting

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-powerboard-with-extra-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.