Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BS GI.jpg
BS Pop Bumper Wiring.jpg
DSCN1930.JPG

#1 4 years ago

I picked up a Breakshot yesterday.

Just noticed the pop bumper lights aren't wired up.

The previous owner had gone to the trouble of rebuilding the pop bumper assemblies with new parts, but the lamp sockets aren't wired up.

Are these controlled lamps, or do I just tie them into the GI?

At 1st glance, I didn't noticed any cut, unattached wires under the playfield.

#2 4 years ago

Do that.

LTG : )™

#3 4 years ago

There is no GI in BS. Every lamp is CPU controlled. Do the diagnostics tell you they are out and it so they should tell you the right connections

#4 4 years ago

The machines, as it stands, has all new pop bumper components. The lamp sockets, (555 style with the blade type "wiring"), is currently installed in the assemblies.

This is my 1st Capcom pin. It didn't come with a manual.

Once again, though, I don't see any cut wires under the playfield, or any other evidence that they had ever been wired up in the first place.

Typically, I thought most pop bumpers have some type of controlled lighting. Most pop bumpers that I've seen, each have there own set of wires leading to them, with the ground side "daisy-chained.

#5 4 years ago

Lloyd,

If this is what I need to do...consider it done.

I've rarely seem an instance where you were wrong.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Lloyd,
If this is what I need to do...consider it done.
I've rarely seem an instance where you were wrong.

I'm likely wrong and can't check right now. My BS pop bumper lights don't do a light show. So I thought they were GI.

Do what calvin12 suggests and see if they come up in feature lamp tests.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm likely wrong and can't check right now. My BS pop bumper lights don't do a light show. So I thought they were GI.

Do what calvin12 suggests and see if they come up in feature lamp tests.

Lloyd, there is no way these lamps will run in test mode...like I said before, the entire assemblies have previously been rebuilt. The "blade" wire leads are just there...sticking out in the air, not attached to anything at all. Once again, we're looking at someone else's "repair" that was obviously never finished.

#8 4 years ago

The lamps won't run, but they will be in the lamp test and you can see the wire colors there.

#9 4 years ago

The pop bumper lights are not controlled - continuously on. BTW, there are GI lamps on BS.

#10 4 years ago

I finally got at my BS.

sudsy7 is right, they aren't in lamp tests.

Mine has two black wires coming from each pop bumper. One from each pop bumper tags onto the green wire on the closest lamp to it under one of the yellow lane guides.

The other black wires disappears into the harness.

#11 4 years ago

Thanks for looking Lloyd.

You're the greatest....

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

The pop bumper lights are not controlled - continuously on. BTW, there are GI lamps on BS.

Thanks sudsy7

#13 4 years ago

Just because they are always in does not make then non controlled. From Clays capcom guide:LAMP MATRIX: There are NO "general illumination" lights in a capcom pinball. ALL lamps are CPU controlled. There are TWO sets of 64 lamps, an "A" and a "B" side (total of 128 CPU controlled lamps). This means the chances of burnt lamp connectors is nearly zero.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Just because they are always in does not make then non controlled.

If they were controlled, they would appear in the lamp test when you step through it one at a time.

#15 4 years ago

calvin12 - why would any manufacturer install controlled lamps (cost increase), and not use the function? But don't believe me... BS GI.jpg

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Clays capcom guide:LAMP MATRIX: There are NO "general illumination" lights in a capcom pinball.

I think what Clay's guide is trying to tell you is that there is no dimming control on the GI lamps on Capcom machines.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

There are TWO sets of 64 lamps, an "A" and a "B" side (total of 128 CPU controlled lamps).

Also, just to be completely accurate, on BS, there is only one lamp matrix (64 lamps) because it is a "Capcom Classic Series".

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I think what Clay's guide is trying to tell you is that there is no dimming control on the GI lamps on Capcom machines.

No, but capcom wound up pulling the second matrix from the classics. Had it mixed up with the "normal" games.

#19 4 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone could take the time to post some pictures of how their Breakshot pop bumper lamp wiring is connected.

I want to do this right the first go-'round.

#20 4 years ago

Don't know if a picture will help with the cluster of wiring, but I've included one. Here's a sketch that will probably be more helpful (view from the underside of the playfield). Ask if you have any questions.BS Pop Bumper Wiring.jpg

DSCN1930.JPG
#21 4 years ago

Thank you VERY much for the help sudsy7

That sketch REALLY clears it up for me.

Connecting the lamp sockets should be a walk in the park now.

Thanks again...

#22 4 years ago

No problem and good luck. BTW, BS pops seem to have a lot of power (very peppy!). The original lamp sockets on mine had the limp stranded wire leads with foam padding to center the lamp in the body. From vibration, mine were always moving around and getting off center (the foam padding didn't work well). So I replaced mine with solid wire leads. They say these aren't as vibration-resistant, but I have not had any problems (I'm using LEDs though - maybe that's why), and they stay where you put them.

P.S. - Don't use LEDs in any of the controlled lamps - mucho strobing effect.

#23 4 years ago

I plan on using LEDs in the pops as well.

As for the inserts, I installed some CT non-ghosting LEDs just in the pool ball inserts...the non-ghosting don't look too bad. Very little strobing going on.

I might have to buy some more non-ghosting LEDs for the rest of the inserts.

#24 4 years ago

Hmmm. I'll have to go back and look at what I put in - I know they were CT and I thought they were non-ghosting, but maybe not because they looked just terrible.

#25 4 years ago

I installed a few regular LEDs in a few of the inserts....yeah, the strobing was really bad.

#26 4 years ago

My controlled lamps seem to flicker somewhat even with incandescents to tell the truth! Lamp matrix on this machine must be driven at a slower frequency than other manufacturers, I guess? Try the lamp test that turns on all lamps at once - it's especially evident during that test - curious to see if it is on your machine as well. Anyway, I tried a few CT LEDs I had laying around and they apparently aren't non-ghosting. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I'll order a few of the non-ghosting type from CT and let you know how they work.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Lamp matrix on this machine must be driven at a slower frequency than other manufacturers, I guess?

Not the problem. Capcom specifically runs current through the entire lamp matrix when the bulbs are off. This kept the bulbs warm and was supposed to extend bulb life. The current isn't enough to light an incandescent but causes leds to flicker. We are just trying to use something the system was never intended for.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 399.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside