87772C0F-C148-461F-BB15-7C1EB8518BD1 (resized).jpeg
B0FAFD8B-27F2-4264-A8B7-6B61581B5004 (resized).jpeg
E028B59D-6A9B-4981-B0BB-A2255070B044 (resized).jpeg
Power Driver Board-Loops (resized).jpg
Power Driver Board Schematic (resized).jpg
Upper (resized).jpg
Lower (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So I've scoured the internet high and low and need to reach out to the community for this one. I bought a Breakshot in need of repair and have been working on it off and on for some time. I've come up against a snag where I thought I was going to have to send the Power Driver Board in for repair but upon closer inspection, I noticed there seemed to be some recent work with new Molex connections. On a hunch, I downloaded the manual and started tracing wires. It appears the previous owner thought he should wire things differently (see attached pictures). In one case, he removed J25 all together.

What I'm asking is if someone has some good pictures of the locations I have arrows at (J25, J22, J19, J18, J16 and J14). The schematic is confusing with some of the loops (or not...not really sure). It seems that from everything I've looked at, some of these games have been wired differently. Does someone have a perfectly great working Breakshot that they could take some close up pics showing how to wire my Molex connectors properly?

Lower (resized).jpgLower (resized).jpg

Upper (resized).jpgUpper (resized).jpg

Power Driver Board Schematic (resized).jpgPower Driver Board Schematic (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

(THIS IS WRONG....IGNORE)

I've drawn in a few of the loops that I think I'm seeing in some close ups of other pics I've seen? Can anyone confirm I'm right?

...and what's going on with J20? Are there loops on that Jumper...were does the middle pin go??

Power Driver Board-Loops (resized).jpgPower Driver Board-Loops (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

I’m not at home but here are some pics from my machine. Can send more tonight

Also.. what is actually wrong with your machine?

E028B59D-6A9B-4981-B0BB-A2255070B044 (resized).jpegE028B59D-6A9B-4981-B0BB-A2255070B044 (resized).jpeg
B0FAFD8B-27F2-4264-A8B7-6B61581B5004 (resized).jpegB0FAFD8B-27F2-4264-A8B7-6B61581B5004 (resized).jpeg
87772C0F-C148-461F-BB15-7C1EB8518BD1 (resized).jpeg87772C0F-C148-461F-BB15-7C1EB8518BD1 (resized).jpeg

#5 5 years ago

Well, it was a machine that was very badly neglected but the only one I could find so I scooped it in hopes of bringing it back to life. So far for board work, I reflowed the big capacitors and it quit rebooting randomly. However, the left flipper was still weak and the bottom right flipper wouldn't work along with some GI lighting issues and center post not catching the ball. As said earlier, I noticed someone messed with the Molex connectors and didn't put the wires back correctly (first post).

From your pictures, I'm able to see J20 and now understand what they did there. BTW....that seems to be some poor quality control on Capcom's board design where they have to fix the board anomalies with external wiring work-arounds.

I've attached the picture with what looks to be the right way to wire this J20. Your J14 seems to have some different wiring from the schematic and the way I rewired mine?? I'm also confused as the what they were doing on J19 with the Red/White wire??

Power Driver Board Schematic-J20 (resized).jpgPower Driver Board Schematic-J20 (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago

Now that I can see some good pics from Boat, I can see that the loops are actually continuous wiring going through the connectors. The wiring schematic now makes sense! Looks like I should use the original connectors but I'll see if I can simulate with the Molex connectors they've used and the connectors I have....might have to break out the solder...LOL.

Here's a picture of what looks to be right. The arrows represent where the wire terminates. But it looks like some people have a VIO/ORG wire going to Pin8 on J14...or am I just seeing things?

Power Driver Board-Complete (resized).jpgPower Driver Board-Complete (resized).jpg

Power Driver Board-Complete 2 (resized).jpgPower Driver Board-Complete 2 (resized).jpg

#7 5 years ago

Now that I can see some good pics from Boat, I can see that the loops are actually continuous wiring going through the connectors. The wiring schematic now makes sense! Looks like I should use the original connectors but I'll see if I can simulate with the Molex connectors they've used and the connectors I have....might have to break out the solder...LOL.

Here's a picture of what looks to be right. The arrows represent where the wire terminates. But it looks like some people have a VIO/ORG wire going to Pin8 on J14...or am I just seeing things?

Power Driver Board-Complete 2 (resized).jpgPower Driver Board-Complete 2 (resized).jpg

#8 5 years ago

Are you some kind of mad scientist electrician? I've never seen so much analysis. hahaha.

I'm not sure if anyone else will help you with your questions as its hard to find knowledge in this space.

In my quest to fix my breakshot reset issues I ended up finding a replacement power board. I actually have another board coming in a few weeks. Not trying to peddle my wares but just letting you know if this gets back to a board issue I may be able to help you still.

Also I would say that there is an odd amount of variations and version of the driver board with different components all over the place. its not easy to troubleshoot.

#9 5 years ago

Oh...I've definitely been accused of analysis/paralysis. It's just that I hit a brick wall with the wiring and couldn't make any sense of their weird schematics. It never dawned on me that there used to be different Molex connectors that allowed for the looping of wires. You pictures were the missing piece I was in desperate need of. I seem to like machines that have a very small fan-base or support...hence my Full Throttle and Diamond Lady in addition to Breakshot.

I would have never analyzed it to this detail if things were working....at least mostly. But when things like a flipper seems to work in a ball search but no amount of continuity checks can ever track down why the working flipper button won't trigger it, you have to go deep. I was in the process of shipping the Power Driver Board off to have repaired when I stumbled across the shady wiring. I thought I should at least rule that out before I send it off and it starting to look like the board is fine...hopefully. I'm going to finish the wiring tonight and we'll go from there.

#10 5 years ago

Ok cool, good luck and let me know if I can help anymore. Also where were you sending your board, just curious?

#11 5 years ago

Clive from Coin-Op. Actually spoke to him on the phone for a bit...really nice guy. He's got about a 4 week back log right now.

http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/brepairs.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-pd-board-wiring-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.