• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180705_170828 (resized).jpg
20180705_170820 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So I had a pinball repair tech over to my house to work on two of my machines.
He got my hardbody working nicely... That sounds a bit weird and gross, but its true. Its nice and toned now.
But, it appears my breakshots MPU board went all kinds of crazy.
So I either need to find someone who can repair those, or a replacement board, as sadly the tech doesn't have the experience to fix the board. Which is understandable. As its a rarer type of board compared to most pins.
Any help would be appreciated. I really, really would like to get my Breakshot up and running again, as that is the gem of my collection. Just a really nice and clever machine. And I am crestfalled, its not working. And even though its a money pit. I still love her.

#2 5 years ago

Check pinside for the Capcom capacitor fix.
If your tech can solider and follow instructions he can definitely do that repair.

This fix is just a start to solve issues. But it's the most common one with Capcom pins.

Good luck.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-breakshot-capacitor-fix#post-4375658

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Check pinside for the Capcom capacitor fix.
If your tech can solider and follow instructions he can definitely do that repair.
This fix is just a start to solve issues. But it's the most common one with Capcom pins.
Good luck.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-breakshot-capacitor-fix#post-4375658

Its not the capacitor.
Its the main mpu board. Which is the small board that is attached on the same panel as the dmd.
He tested it with all the voltages and checked for broken wires. And he doesn't want to mess with it, because the chip in question is an embedded chip.
I just want my breakshot to work. I'll email him and get the specifics.
I'm just really, really bummed. As breakshot has turned into a total money hog.
Still not the end of the world. But, I really, really want it fixed. It's one of my all time favorite games. Not just of the games I own, but all the ones I played.
There has to be someone out there who fixes these things.

#4 5 years ago

Give rob a shout

http://lockwhenlit.com/

There are a few more like Clive and others but it is kind of a rare board.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Give rob a shout
http://lockwhenlit.com/
There are a few more like Clive and others but it is kind of a rare board.

Guess it wasn't rare... Until they decided to remake BBB... GRRRR... Chips are chips man... If I have to make my own board. I might just have to do that!!!
I'm only half joking. But, I bet all the components are at mouser to buy. But, thanks... I'll shoot them an email when I get more information.
The more detailed I get the better. Just really, super bummed right now. Its like breaking up with your gf and then she's still hanging out at your place.

#6 5 years ago

Okay. So I got more details. This is what the repair tech said happens:
"The game comes up but the center post keeps going up and down eventually fails the test like the game doesn't see the switch that says if the post is up or down. The switch itself is working. When opening the coin door the diagnostic screen does not come up. Again the switch is OK. To be sure I jumpered across J9 pins 9 and 10 on the CPU board and still no self test. Fuses are good. DC voltages are good. I reseated cables including the large ribbon cable and no change. It appears that the switch matrix is dead. I can see the voltages changing when grounding J9 pin 9. The first suspect IC in my mind would be U11 but the problem could be farther into the board."
I've attached pictures of the board. So again... Open to suggestions and if anyone knows anyone who does work on these let me know. I will be contacting the person in St. Louis, but I figure the more contacts the better odds of finding someone.

20180705_170820 (resized).jpg20180705_170820 (resized).jpg20180705_170828 (resized).jpg20180705_170828 (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

There are certain chips that go EOL and you can’t find them :/ like ram chips for space invaders arcade cab.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

When opening the coin door the diagnostic screen does not come up.

I can't seem to find the service bulletin for the Breakshot DMD power board, but this is for the Pinball Magic DMD power board. I know I had seen this same bulletin for Breakshot, but I believe it was the exact change that needs to be made. Could you post a picture of the power supply next to the MPU?

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 95-017a
DATE: DECEMBER 26, 1995
TO: ALL DISTRIBUTORS GAME: PINBALL MAGIC
SUBJECT: HALF OF DOT DISPLAY GOES BLANK IN DIAGNOSTICS ONLY
AFFECTED GAMES: PM SERIAL NUMBER PB0001029 TO PB0001130

IF HALF OF THE DISPLAY GOES BLANK DURING DIAGNOSTICS MAKE THE FOLLOWING COMPONENT CHANGES ON THE DISPLAY POWER SUPPLY PCB (A0015502). THIS CONDITION IS IN DIAGNOSTIC MODE ONLY, AND DOES NOT EFFECT ATTRACT OR GAME MODES.

NOTE: ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE THE COMPONENTS UNLESS THERE IS A PROBLEM, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THESE CHANGES ARE MADE BEFORE A PROBLEM OCCURS.

1.CHANGE DIODES D4, D5 AND D6 FROM 1N4936 TO MUR160 (MOTOROLA). THESE ARE FAST RECTIFYING DIODES, AND WILL REDUCE THE POTENTIAL FOR THERMAL PROBLEMS WITH THE DRIVER.
2.REMOVE CAPACITOR C6 (6800pF 100V).
3.CHANGE RESISTOR R6 FROM 47KW 1/2 WATT TO 15KW 1 WATT.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Guess it wasn't rare... Until they decided to remake BBB... GRRRR... Chips are chips man... If I have to make my own board. I might just have to do that!!!
I'm only half joking. But, I bet all the components are at mouser to buy. But, thanks... I'll shoot them an email when I get more information.
The more detailed I get the better. Just really, super bummed right now. Its like breaking up with your gf and then she's still hanging out at your place.

Remakes use emulators to run the software, not the original boards. MMR is a good example of this despite the fact that except for the audio/video board you can pretty much get anything you need. Part of what capped original BBB remake was that there were only so many boardsets. Capcom used some parts which you cannot buy and haven't been able to in ages. As for it being a rare board, not really. Any of the major pinball techs will fix it, many for a flat rate. Now, you can have something like my pinball magic sample which has a different audio board than all other capcoms. Better, it has a number of jumper wires which might even be from the factory. If it fails, I am all kinds of hosed as I am not sure if the likes of Clive or Rob will want to dicker with it.

#10 5 years ago

If your DMD still shows in game play when you open the coin door, maybe you have a wire disconnected from the white coin door switch, which what tells the MPU to go into diagnostic mode. The service bulletin only helps if the DMD when blank or partially blank when you opened the coin door.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If your DMD still shows in game play when you open the coin door, maybe you have a wire disconnected from the white coin door switch, which what tells the MPU to go into diagnostic mode. The service bulletin only helps if the DMD when blank or partially blank when you opened the coin door.

He did a thing that jumped or bypassed and directly jacked into the board itself to trigger or tell the board that the coin door was open, and it still did nothing.
There are other problems too as the start button won't register. Game is just going all to hell on me.
Any more suggestions on people who might be able to fix it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-mpu-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.