16785128709647274982899981544173 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
F12D29B5-D0FB-4B0F-B075-35BD68BAA67E (resized).jpeg
FA84E152-0828-4E82-AC34-53DB19E67CA8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8582 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8581 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8576 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballManiac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 6 years ago

"And there you have it folks." Installed a LED ColorDMD into my friend's Breakshot a couple of months ago. It is currently set on yellow, but a lighter purple looks good too. 20170928_195627 (resized).jpg20170928_195627 (resized).jpg20170928_195630 (resized).jpg20170928_195630 (resized).jpg

#97 6 years ago

I installed a LED Sigma ColorDMD into a friend's game 2 months ago. 20170928_195630 (resized).jpg20170928_195630 (resized).jpg20170928_195627 (resized).jpg20170928_195627 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#152 6 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

Just joined the club. Really fun, unique game.

Very nice. Just needs a ColorDMD.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Wait, what? Is that an option for Breakshot?

Sigma is not officially supported yet, so there is occasional flickering. You can see back on post #95 that I installed a LED Sigma ColorDMD in a friend's game and set it on yellow. I had to make my own power cable adapter.

I also put a LCD Sigma in my Pinball Magic.

#156 6 years ago

Ah, ok. I was thinking they did a fully colorized version of Breakshot, which would be pretty awesome.
Some day I will get a Color DMD.......someday.
Chris

Oh no. Not yet. You will see the news posted in this club once it has been colorized. You will not miss it when it happens.

4 weeks later
#169 5 years ago

Is it even in attract mode? It doesn't appear to be from the non lit inserts I see in the picture. If it is not, then you need to check 5 volts on the driver board.

If there is no 5 volts, then you test the traces of the big capacitors on the driver board. The feedthroughs usually get damaged because of the weight of the capacitors, being the size and how far they stick out from the board.

You can run wires on the backside of the board or do the solder stitch to fix the feedthrough.

Here is one thread showing how GOV got around the bad feedthroughs. I know there is another repair thread I helped with the exact same issue and I cannot locate it right now.

I have in the past, used solder wick in the feedthroughs by soldering the traces on the top and bottom side of the board so you really could not notice the repair. Running a wire is an option, but easily noticeable if once you turn over the board.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-breakshot-dmd-voltage-trouble-shooting-also-lighting#post-1149637

1 week later
#180 5 years ago

If you have LEDs in the pop bumpers, it will not matter there is thinner gage wire since LEDs draw less current. I have yet to hear of anyone having any issues with thinner gage wire with regular bulbs in any Capcom pin.

#183 5 years ago

Can we see a picture of your sound board with the wiring connected?

#186 5 years ago

Reseat your ribbon cable between the MPU and the big driver board. I had to replace it on 2 Breakshots I worked on in the past.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ok, working again.

Did you touch something?

#191 5 years ago

Sounds like you need a new ribbon cable. Marco has them. I think the big black flat ferrite was being held by that, which looks like hot glue to me.

What is J9? I don't have a Breakshot here. I have a Pinball Magic and some boards are not the same.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Would that also affect my sound? Will get new ribbon cable asap.

I suspect also when your DMD is scrambled that the game was not in attract mode. Was it? If not, then the game was not booted up. No boot=no sound either.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

After continuous reseatings, the game is playing though. Just no sound.

I need to do some testing to see if the ribbon cable might be related to no sound as well. Likely be this time tomorrow before I can get back with an answer if no one else has any other leads.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

Dumb question....does Alltek make a power supply board that can go in this?

No and I do not think you need another power supply. Start with getting a new ribbon cable for sure.

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I CAN DO THIS!

Yes you can!!

#201 5 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RC00103-1

Looks like the main description is wrong on the webpage, but it is correct one stating 26 pin in the body of the ad. I'll email Marco about it.

Oops... I forgot that my Pinball Magic is out on loan. Might be a bit tough getting to my friends house to look into other possible sound issues. Was there something you touched earlier to make the sound come on?

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thanks Boat. Yes, it blinks. I ran the "reset sound board?" diagnostic and it said this:

How many times does the LED on the sound board blink, pause then repeats?

#212 5 years ago

Good find, Boat. I'll need to throw that in with my PM manual for future reference.

2 weeks later
#229 5 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

So I have 1.5 and have noticed the sound bite for extra ball is missing, might be a few others missing, maybe I should get 1.3? Or is the problem in a sound rom? Anybody have any idea?

The v.B.1.5 appears you are running the beta version. Marco shows v1.3 as the latest game ROM and v1.1 sound ROMs.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/950?S_CAT1=ELEC

There should be printed labels on your sound ROMs so you should be able to tell what you currently have installed.

1 month later
#245 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this?
I have 1.0.0 ROMs and the ferrite ring service bulletin is done.
I still sometimes get the odd "slam" on power up.
A quick power cycle and it's fine. And other times it boots right away.
Is this a old code issue. Or a problem somewhere else?
Suggestions?
Thanks, Eric.

That does not sound like a code issue.
Is your slam switch contacts too close on the coin door? I would spread the leaf switch out to be sure.
You can even go into the switch edge test and tap on the coin door to see if it registers and to see if any random switches register after a few minutes.

#247 5 years ago

I service 2 Breakshots for my friends, which their games have v1.0 and never have experienced this issue at power up.

Put the game in switch edge test and let it set for 30 minutes and come back to see if it registered any random intermittent switches. I had to do this on my Pinball Magic to track down an intermittent issue I had in the game. Turned out I had intermittent connectors at J6, J7, J9 at the CPU board on the .100" wired connectors. I was able to wiggle the wires there and cause the issue more often.

2 weeks later
#255 5 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Is there any trick to updating the roms or do you simply swap chips?

Just swap chips.

#271 5 years ago

Send the boards for repair if you do not feel you can fix any current issues. I repaired 2 breakshots 4 years ago and they are still running good to this day. I don't see any day in the next 10 years that someone would not be able to repair a board, if needed. Why keep worry of something that may not even happen? Get the game running and enjoy playing it.

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Because, he said they shorted cos of something coming undone on my pinball machine.
I try my best to keep them up and running. But, what if something pops off again without me knowing and blows it. I'm just worried. And I still know nothing about pinball repair. I'm trying to learn, but I suck at it.

I will say it will rare such a thing as something just popping off will be the cause of a problem. Just keep reading Pinside and Pinwiki and you will keep learning to take care of issues you did not think you ever would have realized you could ever had.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I'm going to get my friend to help me.

Hey, that is ok too. Some people need to see things in person to learn. Nothing wrong with that. We all learn in different ways and at different rates. Even just trying will be a benefit.

3 weeks later
#305 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

socket vs no socket

Easier to change U22 and U23 being they are in a socket.

#306 5 years ago

Maybe send one or both sound boards off to http://coinopcauldron.com/brepairs.html ?

#309 5 years ago

Sometimes prototype/sample boards have sockets installed to make it easy to change parts for in case they wanted to test out different vendor parts.

Do you know for sure if John Wart, Jr. does repair Capcom boards? He doesn't show on his website that he does and it doesn't seem like he is taking any other board repair at this time. http://thatpinballplace.com/repair/

#311 5 years ago

Do you have a lead on buying the correct sound board?

#313 5 years ago

Several people are running v1.1 game ROM so I'm not sure that is a problem.

#318 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

It was pointed out to me that U24 running v 1.0.3 Is NOT the same as 1.3. So hopefully that solves this conundrum. Doh.
Hopefully my idiocracy will help someone in the future.

Game code v1.0.3 will show on the DMD when it boots up. V1.3 is only the labeling on the game ROM itself. I'm not sure of the sound ROMs as I don't have access to a Breakshot today, but will tomorrow.

FYI. Game ROM and sound ROM don't always have the same version numbers. Marco shows latest sound ROMs to be v1.1. Currently, I am just unsure if the sound version is reported on the DMD as v1.1 or as v1.0.1.

#319 5 years ago

According to the manual, Breakshot should be using the A0021701 sound board. These untested board may or may not come with U24 installed. If you plan on ordering one, I would email the seller to find that out as the one in your current 2 boards likely is not the correct U24. http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/second-hand/boards/a0021701.html

#324 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Maniac, I already bought a tested, 2nd sound board from Boat. It works.

This board you bought has sound?

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

It had the blips and bongs, which my original board did not. Steve at Marco confirmed the U24v1.0.3 isn't gonna work with 1.1 sound roms. Now just trying to find U24v1.3 which apparently is unobtanium. Unless you burn yer own roms, which I don't. Might be the only option.

So it is still not a working board, just that it does more than the other at this time. Did Steve suggest this part number board should work in Breakshot?

3 months later
#371 5 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Im thinking of getting this game.. Only issue it has is the centre mech isn't working. (The steel round piece that goes up and down locks the balls etc) Is that an easy fix?
Thanks!

Inagree with LTG. Do not hesitate getting the game. At worse that feature may not work but at least the game is playable. Also Pinside is here to help.

One game I worked on only had a coil wire break off from a coul lug.

5 months later
#405 4 years ago

You're killing me Smalls!
Just added Pinball Magic. Now I think I must have this!!! Looks amazing!
Chris

Did you install one in Breakshot yet?

2 months later
#446 4 years ago

Press the start button to fire the coils in the solenoid test.

1 week later
#453 4 years ago
Quoted from Cinder143:

Hi all, I have a Capcom Pinball Magic and the display driver board has gone bad. I am told the Breakshot driver borad part # A0015505 is compatible. Would anyone here have one they want to sell? Thanks

If you install a ColorDMD, no DMD power board is needed. Just sayin....

1 week later
#456 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

So now my questions start...
Does anyone know where these can be sourced or what the part numbers are? Someone cranked down on the screws and there are all a mess.[quoted image]

So you find the number in the manual, an internet search should find who all carries them.

#458 4 years ago

Good. If you looked that many times, I don't expect to be in there. I don't recall anyone ever asking either. I just did a general internet search for yellow lane guide, so doesn't seem possible to get a Capcom part. You probably could find one closest looking through them all. Seems like it may had been off the shelf part.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=yellow+lane+guide

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=yellow+lane+guide

#460 4 years ago

Pinball Australia sells the most original Capcom parts.

#462 4 years ago

Shopping by category for Breakshot shows Marco has some plastics.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/950?S_CAT1=PFLD

Usually 2 1/2 weeks is the earliest you could get parts from Australia.

#463 4 years ago

Possible with the shipping part of it, the Australia plastics may or may not be cheaper than on the ones from here. http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/Breakshot_Page.html

1 month later
#469 4 years ago

Trim is the same type as WPC, just have to make sure it is for the right thickness glass.

1 week later
#495 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Thanks and checked diodes visually. Also interesting that the actual slam switch doesn’t cause a slam tilt. Only switches 21, 53, and 61. How’s that for random. May not be able to work on it tonight. But will try again soon.

It is not just the diode you have to worry about. You have to make sure the white and green wires are going to the correct pins of the switch. If one switch is wired wrong or the diode is pointing the wrong direction, that is when it can cross over to other partial random column or row of switches.

Look over the one switch carefully that is not working.

2 weeks later
#518 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Glad Vegas a blast. Agree that phof disappoints. Lots of potential, but.....
As for Breakshot. Checked closed switches against switch matrix in book. Definite pattern. Just not sure what it means. May be hard to see, but pencil dots show closed switches. And the don’t work on PF.[quoted image]

Just to be clear, which switch numbers are the ones not working?

So what I would do first is reseat the switch matrix wiring at the MPU to see if that helps. Many Capcom games I find I have to repin these connectors.

2019-10-20 00_49_28-Internet Pinball Machine Database_ Capcom 'Breakshot' Images (resized).png2019-10-20 00_49_28-Internet Pinball Machine Database_ Capcom 'Breakshot' Images (resized).png088365452374b3173ad2c32176c5b0d15f82a750.jpeg (resized).jpg088365452374b3173ad2c32176c5b0d15f82a750.jpeg (resized).jpg

#521 4 years ago

If reseating the cables do not help, likely the SMT parts in blue have pins that broken solder joints on the MPU.

2019-10-22 09_20_26-Breakshot club, members only..._ _ All clubs (...members only!) _ Pinside.com -  (resized).png2019-10-22 09_20_26-Breakshot club, members only..._ _ All clubs (...members only!) _ Pinside.com - (resized).png

#523 4 years ago

Put the video on YouTube and link it on this Pinside thread.

1 week later
#526 4 years ago

I am unable to view it as I see 'Invalid Source' error.

#528 4 years ago

Now I can view the video in Firefox browser. Seems that was an Internet Explorer issue for me.

Looks like you have switch 70 -CNTR PocKeT right stuck closed and at times switch 64-R.top lane and 30 Tilt Bob are registering. Can you post a picture of the wiring to these switches? Seems one may be wired wrong to the diode. Switch 70 could just be permanently closed for some reason.

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Thanks, may be a while before I get back to it. Family medical stuff. Will post progress when get back to it.

Wish your family well, so you can get back some more joy in your life.

4 months later
#560 4 years ago

If I go back to 1.3 you can have it if you want.

I vote for it to go to nerbflong so he can update the color ROM.

2 months later
#587 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Success!! Joined the club on Tuesday but had to pick up a 7-day stretch at work to pay for it!
Just finally got to play the crap out of it today!!
Looks great in the new lineup and it’s just a gem.
This game is absolutely a keeper.
I’m probably gonna grab the Cliffy’s for this.
Any other recommendations for maintenance and such? I’ve never owned a modern game, let alone a capcom before.
I’ve been searching for pictures of the cash box and I’ve yet to find any. Did Capcom’s even come with one?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats. ColorDMD looks great in this game! http://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-breakshot-pinball-machine/

5 months later
#619 3 years ago

Glad you found this. I thought they were all translites?
Chris

You are confused with him having "backglass" in his post. He means the original factory translite artwork, not the alternative art that is now floating around.

2 years later
#755 11 months ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Are there any 3rd party replacement boards for Breakshot, specifically the Power/Driver board? Mine keeps frying U19 and I have yet to figure it out.

Problem just putting another board it it, with the potential problem in your Playfield, it is likely to damage a replacement board too. I was already warning you about this on your repair thread. I had not yet looked at the schematic to see what potential you have going on.

Even sending out the board for repair will end up with the same result of the underlying issue is in the Playfield.

I highly suggest looking over every switch for one to be touching anything at all...coil, flasher, GI or insert lamp socket.

1 month later
#762 10 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I have an odd center post issue, in that sometimes the pop up is delayed when the ball passes the opto.
There are two coils for this mech; one to pop the post up and one to release the post from the up position. What appears to be happening is that when the post up coil is supposed to fire the post release coil fires instead, as if it thinks the post is already up. Everything works as it should in test.
Anyone have an idea where to look to fix this? Otherwise the game plays great!

What code is in your game?

#765 9 months ago

V1.3 is the latest version, so I think you should update it. Read me file on IPDB does not go into the details of the code changes.

It has been many years since I worked on a Breakshot with that issue, I don't recall if it was a hardware or software issue.

#767 9 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Updated to V1.3, no difference. If anything the post seems to pop up randomly at times.

That may have been what the game was doing that I worked on. Been too long. I don't have one close by for easy access.

I want to say there was a different issue in the game that was causing the post to act differently than what it should. An opto comes to mind. Can you put the game in switch edge test and let it sit for 30 minutes and see if anything pops up?

#769 9 months ago

They will work. Transmitter optos would be only what I would suspect. If there is an opto in front of that center mechanism, I would change it first. I would only resolder the receiver opto, which rarely fail. That is starting to jog my mind as to what I had found.

I was meaning just let the game sit in switch edge test and walk away. Usually if any transmitter optos are weak they tend to pop up randomly in the switch edge test. Though, at times may only show in game play.

1 month later
#779 8 months ago

No. Same size as any other standard body game. Perhaps your Playfield glass is too thin.

#781 8 months ago

I know a lot of Bally Williams games I have are like how you describe.

Having said that, I think the back black piece might be adjusted down a bit to hold it tighter? Think I did that adjustment in the past on a different game.

2 months later
#786 6 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

On a side note does anyone know why there are two receivers for this o

Fair guess, someone in the past replaced a transmitter with a receiver not knowing any better.

You can tell by the color of the wires which should have the transmitter opto.

#788 6 months ago

It shouldn't. Not original.

#791 6 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Another question - why do the connectors have five positions when the opto boards only need three?

Can you post a picture of this? Same with the other opto connectors in the game too?

I worked on my 2 friends Breakshots, but I only have a Pinball Magic to compare to.

#792 6 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Another question - has anyone ever replaced the post optos? if so what parts did they use? Are they interchangeable between other Capcom games?

Same transmitter and receiver optos from WPC games work in Capcom games, which you can get from Pinball Life.

I only change the optos themselves, never the whole boards.

2 weeks later
#798 5 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Aargh, the opto issue continues.
- all optos register except the post optos
- there are no switch issues when using the troubleshooting in the game
- I see no light from the transmitter LED when using my phone
- the receiver does not register when flashing a bright light at it
- voltage across the transmitter pins is 3 VDC
- voltage across the receiver pins is 15 VDC

So....what did you do so far to fix the problem?

#800 5 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

other working optos show 0 VDC at both the emitter and receiver

That is strange. Seems you should have 12v to working transmitter optos at least. Are you measuring across the transmitter opto itself? Maybe try using the ground braid wire in the bottom of the cabinet and then touch each side of the transmitter opto.

For the receiver optos, short across the 2 pins while it is in the switch test. At least this will tell you the wiring is good all the way to the CPU board.

#802 5 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

- when the optos are out of the game but still in test mode they "see" each other when you wave them in front of each other, but once installed in the game they do not

Sounds like a weak transmitter opto. If you can hold them apart the same distance as they are mounted in the game and still does not register, then it needs to be replaced.

Transmitter optos are on all the time when the game is on and will burn out over time. This is why I just replace all transmitter optos.

#805 5 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Not sure that's it. If the receiver is installed and I insert the transmitter, the optos will register as I'm sliding the transmitter into place (as the optos see each other during installation) but once the transmitter is installed, they no longer register.

Replace it to find out. It fixed one Breakshot I had worked on

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Caro, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 209.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballManiac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-club-members-only?tu=PinballManiac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.