16785128709647274982899981544173 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
F12D29B5-D0FB-4B0F-B075-35BD68BAA67E (resized).jpeg
FA84E152-0828-4E82-AC34-53DB19E67CA8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8582 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8581 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8576 (resized).jpeg
There are 823 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
#701 1 year ago

A-15847 will work. I replaced a few in mine and there's no issue.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15847

1 month later
#702 1 year ago

Having an issue with my Breakshot on location. Very occasionally during a game it will freeze up and show this screen. I haven’t actually seen it do this personally but seems to happen at various times during game play. Apparently it doesn’t reboot it just stays like this. Any idea what this might be? I can’t seem to find reference to it anywhere.

For background the board had been gone over by Coin Op Couldron at some point in the not too distant past and has the hot glued capacitor fix. I did reflow solder on the caps and BRs when I got reports that this was happening but it didn’t seem to help.

5BD832F6-7A78-4026-907C-EACCCB7C268B (resized).jpeg5BD832F6-7A78-4026-907C-EACCCB7C268B (resized).jpeg
#703 1 year ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Having an issue with my Breakshot on location. Very occasionally during a game it will freeze up and show this screen. I haven’t actually seen it do this personally but seems to happen at various times during game play. Apparently it doesn’t reboot it just stays like this. Any idea what this might be? I can’t seem to find reference to it anywhere.
For background the board had been gone over by Coin Op Couldron at some point in the not too distant past and has the hot glued capacitor fix. I did reflow solder on the caps and BRs when I got reports that this was happening but it didn’t seem to help.

CF4E106C-1849-47DC-A160-83819F4964CA (resized).jpegCF4E106C-1849-47DC-A160-83819F4964CA (resized).jpeg
#704 1 year ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Having an issue with my Breakshot on location.

Does it still play,except the DMD is gonzo? If so, I would suspect the little DMD driver board. If it doesn't play at all, I would look at board connectors in the backbox. I had some intermittent connectivity issues that would play havoc. You might possibly find the offender by wiggling/jiggling connectors/wires after a it's been on for a while.

#705 1 year ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Does it still play,except the DMD is gonzo? If so, I would suspect the little DMD driver board. If it doesn't play at all, I would look at board connectors in the backbox. I had some intermittent connectivity issues that would play havoc. You might possibly find the offender by wiggling/jiggling connectors/wires after a it's been on for a while.

Will try this thank you! Any idea which connectors we’re giving you trouble? Power to MPU I’m guessing?

2 weeks later
#706 1 year ago

If someone has easy access to their game, could I get a picture of the connectors into the driver board? Want to verify connections.

Thanks in advance!

Also, what's a good way to test a display board without risking components? Doesn't appear to be shorted from the power connector.

1 month later
#707 1 year ago

Finally joined the Breakshot club! After seeing it on John's Arcade years ago I was extremely intrigued by it, but thought it would be a unicorn to find and I'd probably never own it. I bought a machine that was apparently made for the UK market, then went to Portugal, was imported to Germany by the previous owner (in 2019) and then had to be shipped on a palette from the very south of Germany to Berlin. This game has seen the world! I'm sure I overpaid by a few hundred, but I finally wanted to play it (that's right -- had never played it and bought it after seeing photos).

So now it sits beside my (also new) Indianapolis 500 and I must say they go really well together. It's a very nice change of pace when you play these two games on the same day.

IMG_8574 (resized).jpegIMG_8574 (resized).jpeg

IMG_8576 (resized).jpegIMG_8576 (resized).jpeg

I must say that Breakshot keeps surprising me the more I play it. My girlfriend and I played it for two weeks with the old beta ROMs and I had to read through this thread and watch some videos to find out why my game was "different". I also had to player a second order on sound ROM U29 from a second source after the first one I got was bad, but ultimately I got all the ROMs together and they really transform the game. The rules are deeper and there's more action! I'm very happy with how it plays now and it's just as much fun as my Indy 500. I've never been a big EM or 60s/70s pinball fan (although I appreciate the art), but this game hits the sweet spot between "fast and modern" and that classic look which really makes it special. I'm almost having more fun with it than I anticipated!

Through the last couple weeks I fixed up a few issues, so if anyone wants some reference:

The right orbit gate only opened very rarely and making the left Super-Cue was basically impossible. I suspected the mechanism but it turned out to be the coil itself that fired very intermittently because the diode lead wasn't properly soldered on! The coil passed the solenoid test where it only fires momentarily, but it never held the gate open until I fixed the diode.

IMG_8569 (resized).jpegIMG_8569 (resized).jpeg

The ball would often come to a stop on the sunk middle drop target when the lowest target was still up. It was impossible to nudge it out too, so I always had to wait for the ball search to kick up the drop targets and lift the ball against the glass, which was *very* nasty sounding. (By the way, this game is extremely prone to airballing and kicking the glass, isn't it?) I fixed it by raising the sunk targets a tad so they are *just* above flush with the playfield.

I saw that the targets needed stickers, but the only source in Germany makes a cheap knock-off of the original stickers, so my targets now look a bit weird. It's still better than no stickers but I'm curious how long they will hold up.

IMG_8577 (resized).jpegIMG_8577 (resized).jpeg

I replaced the slingshot rubbers with cheap silicone rubbers as an intermediate fix. I will eventually tear down the playfield and replace all rubbers with normal white ones -- black seems to be too modern looking and colored rubbers look a bit out of place on this playfield, in my opinion.
Do your slingshots kick the ball at very unpredictable speeds? Mine seem to be either nudging the ball away or firing it across the playfield at full speed, depending on its angle. Is that normal?
Someone bent the kicker arm on the right sling (but not the left); not sure why.

IMG_8581 (resized).jpegIMG_8581 (resized).jpeg

Another question: how steep is the game supposed to be set up? Mine is rather timid when the ball rolls down the playfield, but it can still build speed from being kicked around. The solenoids all seem to be extremely powerful and propel the ball very far. Maybe I should set it steeper?

Quoted from pb456:

If someone has easy access to their game, could I get a picture of the connectors into the driver board? Want to verify connections.

Here you go:

IMG_8582 (resized).jpegIMG_8582 (resized).jpeg

#708 1 year ago
Quoted from MadMax1998:

Finally joined the Breakshot club! After seeing it on John's Arcade years ago I was extremely intrigued by it, but thought it would be a unicorn to find and I'd probably never own it. I bought a machine that was apparently made for the UK market, then went to Portugal, was imported to Germany by the previous owner (in 2019) and then had to be shipped on a palette from the very south of Germany to Berlin. This game has seen the world! I'm sure I overpaid by a few hundred, but I finally wanted to play it (that's right -- had never played it and bought it after seeing photos).
So now it sits beside my (also new) Indianapolis 500 and I must say they go really well together. It's a very nice change of pace when you play these two games on the same day.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I must say that Breakshot keeps surprising me the more I play it. My girlfriend and I played it for two weeks with the old beta ROMs and I had to read through this thread and watch some videos to find out why my game was "different". I also had to player a second order on sound ROM U29 from a second source after the first one I got was bad, but ultimately I got all the ROMs together and they really transform the game. The rules are deeper and there's more action! I'm very happy with how it plays now and it's just as much fun as my Indy 500. I've never been a big EM or 60s/70s pinball fan (although I appreciate the art), but this game hits the sweet spot between "fast and modern" and that classic look which really makes it special. I'm almost having more fun with it than I anticipated!
Through the last couple weeks I fixed up a few issues, so if anyone wants some reference:
The right orbit gate only opened very rarely and making the left Super-Cue was basically impossible. I suspected the mechanism but it turned out to be the coil itself that fired very intermittently because the diode lead wasn't properly soldered on! The coil passed the solenoid test where it only fires momentarily, but it never held the gate open until I fixed the diode.
[quoted image]
The ball would often come to a stop on the sunk middle drop target when the lowest target was still up. It was impossible to nudge it out too, so I always had to wait for the ball search to kick up the drop targets and lift the ball against the glass, which was *very* nasty sounding. (By the way, this game is extremely prone to airballing and kicking the glass, isn't it?) I fixed it by raising the sunk targets a tad so they are *just* above flush with the playfield.
I saw that the targets needed stickers, but the only source in Germany makes a cheap knock-off of the original stickers, so my targets now look a bit weird. It's still better than no stickers but I'm curious how long they will hold up.
[quoted image]
I replaced the slingshot rubbers with cheap silicone rubbers as an intermediate fix. I will eventually tear down the playfield and replace all rubbers with normal white ones -- black seems to be too modern looking and colored rubbers look a bit out of place on this playfield, in my opinion.
Do your slingshots kick the ball at very unpredictable speeds? Mine seem to be either nudging the ball away or firing it across the playfield at full speed, depending on its angle. Is that normal?
Someone bent the kicker arm on the right sling (but not the left); not sure why.
[quoted image]
Another question: how steep is the game supposed to be set up? Mine is rather timid when the ball rolls down the playfield, but it can still build speed from being kicked around. The solenoids all seem to be extremely powerful and propel the ball very far. Maybe I should set it steeper?

Here you go:
[quoted image]

I’m shocked it still had the Beta ROMs and nobody ever updated them after 26 years, lol. Hold on to those! I wonder if the beta ROM code is preserved online. Always good to note what changed.

#709 1 year ago

Mine had beta roms too. There was no countdown mode.

#710 1 year ago

Yea, Breakshot was pretty prone to airballs hitting the glass when I had it. I kept mine around 6.5 degrees since it felt like it was supposed to be a bit floaty/EMish.

#711 1 year ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Mine had beta roms too. There was no countdown mode.

That’s the best part! That sucks! I can’t imagine owning this with no wizard mode

#712 1 year ago

I got me some breakshot table action! This game is just simple fun! Love the cool lock mech and the repeatable bank shot.

Game had 1.0 code so I've upgraded to 1.3 and installed a color DMD. Only issue I have now is the upper right flipper has stopped working since ROM changed. Even went back to 1.0 to see if it was something in the 1.3 ROM like a bad burn or something. Any idea where to start? I have same voltage on that coil as the other two. Drivers all look good on the board as in no burnt marks on board or anything. Button switches ohm out ok. I also reseated the connectors. Looks like it's sol 11 with green/orange wire. During solenoid test its failing and flashes "off?"

I do have the manual and could follow along if someone could explain how this works?

Much appreciate any help I can get.

1 week later
#714 1 year ago

So guys, I've read the rulesheet on IPDB and it doesn't have any information on the Cutthroat Champions highscore list. I just played a Cutthroat Countdown where I scored 4 balls only, but hit the Super Jackpot at the end, which is worth 2 million per ball so should be 8 million total. At the end, I had a score of 23 million which ended up Grand Champion on the normal highscore list, but then also had to enter my name for the Cutthroat Champions list, where I landed with 12 million.
So am I assuming correctly that the Cutthroat Champion highscore is the sumtotal of all points you made from lit balls and the super jackpot? I'm wondering why there is even an extra list for these highscores since the CC score gets added to the normal score. It's not like e.g. BOP where there's an extra list for "Billionaires" to prevent normal highscores from skyrocketing via one mode.

I have had my Breakshot for a few weeks now and it is super fun to play tactically. There are best and worst times to make certain shots; for example you can take your chance of an extra ball away if you Call Your Shot at the end of 8-Ball and score that.
In theory, the highest grossing way to play Cutthroad Countdown is to get multiball set up before starting CC, and then releasing the locked balls to triple each successful target hit during CC. So I've been laying out my "game plan" and trying to proceed through the sequence of 8-Ball, 9-Ball and Rotation as efficiently as possible. It's super thrilling when the shots land where they should and everything comes together, only to then fumble the last two balls and get SO CLOSE to a perfect CC! Keeps me coming back and wanting to improve. I don't think any other pinball game has been like this for me.

1 week later
#715 1 year ago
Quoted from MadMax1998:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Here you go:
[quoted image]

Thanks very much!

1 week later
#716 1 year ago

Found a set of Cliffys protectors in my parts bin. I no longer have a Breakshot machine. Can anyone use these?

The large one for the ball lock area has damage (see pics).

Free if you can use them in your game.

Chris

F12D29B5-D0FB-4B0F-B075-35BD68BAA67E (resized).jpegF12D29B5-D0FB-4B0F-B075-35BD68BAA67E (resized).jpegFA84E152-0828-4E82-AC34-53DB19E67CA8 (resized).jpegFA84E152-0828-4E82-AC34-53DB19E67CA8 (resized).jpeg
#717 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Found a set of Cliffys protectors in my parts bin. I no longer have a Breakshot machine. Can anyone use these?
The large one for the ball lock area has damage (see pics).
Free if you can use them in your game.
Chris[quoted image][quoted image]

Protectors are spoken for, thanks.

Chris

2 weeks later
#718 1 year ago

Does anyone know of an alternative option for replacing the flipper plunger and linkage? Thinking maybe the DE/SEGA/Stern ones would be close. But want to be sure.

#719 1 year ago
Quoted from Turkishdisko:

Does anyone know of an alternative option for replacing the flipper plunger and linkage? Thinking maybe the DE/SEGA/Stern ones would be close. But want to be sure.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-club-members-only/page/15#post-6994850

1 month later
#720 1 year ago

Anybody know where I can buy a new slingshot kicker arm for Breakshot? Mine just broke!

1 week later
#721 1 year ago

I can't think of another game that makes you shoot all over the playfield as much as Breakshot. "Go for the six!. "Now the seven!" Trying to hit the balls up the loops to the lanes during Cutthroat Countdown with a multiball going is hectic fun.

2 weeks later
#722 1 year ago

Happy to be in the club now! Never owned a Capcom before and I have a couple of questions:

1. The two drop target banks: Sometimes the bank will reset after completion, sometimes it won't reset until the standup target behind the bank is hit. Is this normal? If there's a rule, I don't know what it is. In switch test, all the targets on both banks register, but a couple of them chatter a bit when dropped, as if it's not a good connection. I know that mechanical switches bounce but this seems excessive.

2. My game was missing the backglass lock bracket, lock, and screws. I got the bracket from Marco. Anyone know where I can get the screws, or the specs for them? I tried a lock bracket screw from my Getaway. It may be the right thread but I can't tell because it's not long enough.

Thanks in advance.

#723 1 year ago

In da club, myself. Looking for some assistance with a couple issues if anyone is familiar with the Capcom system. I started a thread last night.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-won-t-boot-consistently-and-no-sound

#724 1 year ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

2. My game was missing the backglass lock bracket, lock, and screws. I got the bracket from Marco. Anyone know where I can get the screws, or the specs for them? I tried a lock bracket screw from my Getaway. It may be the right thread but I can't tell because it's not long enough.

Those screws are 1" security torx #8-32 size.

#725 1 year ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

The two drop target banks: Sometimes the bank will reset after completion, sometimes it won't reset until the standup target behind the bank is hit. Is this normal?

I believe the standup is required when it is lit for current ball collect, otherwise the bank resets upon completion. Not 100% sure though.

#726 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Those screws are 1" security torx #8-32 size.

Thanks!

#727 1 year ago

Quick question. Could someone advise if the backglass is glass or plexi? Mine is plexi and I'm not sure if it is original. Also, I seem to be missing the knocker assembly. I believe I have a Williams and possibly a Bally knocker assembly in the used parts stash, though.

#728 1 year ago

Quick question. Could someone advise if the backglass is glass or plexi? Mine is plexi and I'm not sure if it is original. Also, I seem to be missing the knocker assembly. I believe I have a Williams and possibly a Bally knocker assembly in the used parts stash, though.

The one I had was a plastic translite behind glass.

Chris

#729 1 year ago

The one I had was a plastic translite behind glass.
Chris

Thanks for the confirmation.

#730 1 year ago

Hey All.
Anyone got a Breakshot for sale, looking for another Capcom!

In UK so seller would need to be willing to pack up to ship.

Thanks

1 week later
#731 1 year ago

Can the buy in feature be turned off? Haven't found a way in the menus.

#732 1 year ago

Can the buy in feature be turned off? Haven't found a way in the menus.

Yes, it’s never been on for mine.

#733 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yes, it’s never been on for mine.

I *think* it depends on the code. When I had mine it had the buy in (with no way to seemingly remove it). Then I changed the ROMS and the option to turn it off was in the menu. Bot I no longer have the game and don't remember what versions they were. i'll see if I can search back and find the info.

Chris

#734 1 year ago

I *think* it depends on the code. When I had mine it had the buy in (with no way to seemingly remove it). Then I changed the ROMS and the option to turn it off was in the menu. Bot I no longer have the game and don't remember what versions they were. i'll see if I can search back and find the info.
Chris

Ah. Well, I'm on 1.3 which should be the most up to date. Isochronic_Frost , what version might you be running?

#735 1 year ago

Ah. Well, I'm on 1.3 which should be the most up to date. Isochronic_Frost , what version might you be running?

That is the latest I believe. I went back and looked. Originally I had a beta code (b.1.5). I upgraded to 1.3 and it added cutthroat countdown, and corrected the color DMD issues I had been having as well.

Chris

#736 1 year ago

I am also running 1.3, haven’t had a moment to check the menu

#737 1 year ago

I am also running 1.3, haven’t had a moment to check the menu

That's promising news. No rush. Whenever you have time. Thanks in advance.

#738 1 year ago

That's promising news. No rush. Whenever you have time. Thanks in advance.

Option 5 under “Coinage”

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#739 1 year ago

Option 5 under “Coinage”[quoted image]

Yay, my hero. Thanks much.

#740 1 year ago

Does anyone know of a equivalent replacement for Capcom flipper coil #1100?
RTTB, Marco, etc are all out of stock. Best replacement options?

#741 1 year ago
Quoted from coniferpinball:

Does anyone know of a equivalent replacement for Capcom flipper coil #1100?
RTTB, Marco, etc are all out of stock. Best replacement options?

Looks like I have a pile of 1100s.
Pm me

16785128709647274982899981544173 (resized).jpg16785128709647274982899981544173 (resized).jpg
#742 1 year ago

Delete this post

#743 1 year ago

Would anyone be worried or scared about using plate glass to replace the polycarb on my backglass? I know some older backglasses were plate glass from the factory, so figured it may not be a big deal. I can get a piece cut for $16 at Lowes and that's way better than the tempered price.

#744 1 year ago

Would anyone be worried or scared about using plate glass to replace the polycarb on my backglass? I know some older backglasses were plate glass from the factory, so figured it may not be a big deal. I can get a piece cut for $16 at Lowes and that's way better than the tempered price.

Honestly, I wouldn't. If you have to use glass definately go with Tempered. I knwo you don't plan on it braking but if it ever did, you'll be happy you have tempered, and not need a zillion stitches.

Chris

#745 1 year ago

Honestly, I wouldn't. If you have to use glass definately go with Tempered. I knwo you don't plan on it braking but if it ever did, you'll be happy you have tempered, and not need a zillion stitches.
Chris

Yeah, I know. Trying to be frugal. Better safe than sorry.

#746 1 year ago

Yeah, I know. Trying to be frugal. Better safe than sorry.

I understand being frugal, but there are some places I choose to not skimp. Just my opinion that this should be one of them

Chris

#747 1 year ago

I understand being frugal, but there are some places I choose to not skimp. Just my opinion that this should be one of them
Chris

Just needed someone to metaphorically slap the back of my head.

2 weeks later
#748 1 year ago

Back in the Breakshot club. Can anyone tell me what the most updated ROM sets are for Breakshot?
Currently running Beta 1.5

#749 1 year ago
Quoted from coniferpinball:

Back in the Breakshot club. Can anyone tell me what the most updated ROM sets are for Breakshot?
Currently running Beta 1.5

1.3 is current.

#750 1 year ago

Appreciate the reply. What are most people pairing with it in terms of the sound rom?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 209.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 823 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-club-members-only/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.