We're back!

After a disaster in our datacenter took down our server, we are now running Pinside on a brand new server. However, things may not work as expected as we are still polishing the playfield and adjusting some switches! We might be switching to maintenance mode a few times. Please see this forum topic for more info.

(Topic ID: 102693)

Breakshot club, members only...?

By DefaultGen

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 638 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by DCRand
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 638 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
#551 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I can get a pic tonight if you still need one.
Chris

Thanks. Not nessecary now.

1 week later
#552 1 year ago

Added the Color DMD. Can someone post a video of theirs? I like it a lot, but the player display seems off. Everything else about it is awesome!

Jittery video, the phone was leaning on the glass, sorry about that.

Chris

#553 1 year ago

Added the Color DMD. Can someone post a video of theirs? I like it a lot, but the player display seems off. Everything else about it is awesome!
Jittery video, the phone was leaning on the glass, sorry about that.

Chris

Chris, you have to update your CPU rom. I colored the game with V1.2 or 1.3 I think. You have an older rom version there. That'll take care of the uncolored frames.

#554 1 year ago

I don't know if Capcom put in a far upper GI light in on Breakshot. The rightside has it, which brought to my attention the left side didn't. The hole for the socket
and dimple are there but no obvious sign one ever existed. Maybe my game was a one off, i don't know. Hence, I decided to daisy chain from the nearest GI socket and add a additional socket (just above the locknut) to balance the upper left GI lighting with the right side. Was easy to do and looks even now. Sorry for not including a before shot to show the difference!

Be interesting to hear from other Breakshot owners, if they have or don't have that upper left side illuminated.

BS1.JPG.pdfBS2.JPG.pdf
#555 1 year ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Chris, you have to update your CPU rom. I colored the game with V1.2 or 1.3 I think. You have an older rom version there. That'll take care of the uncolored frames.

Oh, okay. I have 1.5 in there now. So I'd need to revert back to get the full color then?

I have to say, you did a fantastic job. This is one of my favorite color conversions I've done on my games. They are all good, but this one seems to stand out to me.

Chris

#556 1 year ago

Oh, okay. I have 1.5 in there now. So I'd need to revert back to get the full color then?

I didn't know there was a ver. 1.5 - where did you get it? I didn't really notice any difference so far, except the audio says "Hey try it again" in 1.3 and "Hey pay attention to the game" in your version during the ball save.

#557 1 year ago

I have to say, you did a fantastic job. This is one of my favorite color conversions I've done on my games. They are all good, but this one seems to stand out to me.
Chris

The same thing happened to me. You have the beta rom. It's older and you're not seeing all of the modes either. Upgrade to 1.3 and you'll see all of the animations in color.

#558 1 year ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

I don't know if Capcom put in a far upper GI light in on Breakshot. The rightside has it, which brought to my attention the left side didn't. The hole for the socket
and dimple are there but no obvious sign one ever existed. Maybe my game was a one off, i don't know. Hence, I decided to daisy chain from the nearest GI socket and add a additional socket (just above the locknut) to balance the upper left GI lighting with the right side. Was easy to do and looks even now. Sorry for not including a before shot to show the difference!
Be interesting to hear from other Breakshot owners, if they have or don't have that upper left side illuminated.[quoted image][quoted image]

I did the exact same thing. The holes and dimples were there along with capped off GI wires. I just added some sockets and it looks great. I'm wondering if using regular incandescent was overdriving some circuit and they just took out a few bulbs in production.

#559 1 year ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I didn't know there was a ver. 1.5 - where did you get it? I didn't really notice any difference so far, except the audio says "Hey try it again" in 1.3 and "Hey pay attention to the game" in your version during the ball save.

I honestly don't remember where it came from. I remember people talking about I but I forget who offered it to me.

I need to start writing those things down. LOL
If I go back to 1.3 you can have it if you want.

Chris

#560 1 year ago

I vote for it to go to nerbflong so he can update the color ROM.

#561 1 year ago

Thanks I appreciate it, but now I'm wondering if you really have 1.5 or the beta rom 1.05. If you have a ROM reader, you could just post the bin file, then everyone would have access to it. Or if you don't, I'm sure someone close to you has one. I have one, but let's make sure it is indeed an upgraded version, and not the beta, which wouldn't be worth the trouble.

#562 1 year ago

On my rom chips U1L and U1H the chips were labeled b1.05 but i could have sworn that the screen showed 1.5. Look at your chips to confirm the version.

#563 1 year ago

Chris

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I vote for it to go to nerbflong so he can update the color ROM.

Thanks for the compliments! I appreciate that. I think Breakshot looks good because you know (basically) what colors to expect. So that helps. Either way I think it turned out good and its one of my favorites. But yes, 1.2 or 1.3 will give you full color.

As for the rom, if it is indeed 1.5 I would love a copy (Have a rom burner/reader) and would most likely fix the coloring for that as well. But as yaksplat said, I think its 1.05

#564 1 year ago

One dead giveaway is that there's no smoking moose in the match sequence in the beta.

#565 1 year ago

I made some new translite for Breakshot as well as a speaker overlay. Ive sold my breakshot twice but will never let this, my last one go. Something about this game that just works for me. Anyway I wanted something more just pool themed and also wanted to add a version with some girls that somewhat match the game as the factory translite , playfield and cabinet art are kind of a mess with 3 different versions of the girls. After I installed them on my game I was surprised at how nicely the speaker ovelay complimented the cabinet.

BKSHOT GIRLS PST (resized).jpgBREAKSHOT PRINT V1 w speaker panel PST (resized).jpgbksht photo 1 (resized).jpgbksht photo 2 (resized).jpg
#566 1 year ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I did the exact same thing. The holes and dimples were there along with capped off GI wires. I just added some sockets and it looks great. I'm wondering if using regular incandescent was overdriving some circuit and they just took out a few bulbs in production.

Overdriving the circuit maybe the answer. Glad I put in non ghosting Comet LEDs to not overload. Looks more like the norm with the missing sockets! Thanks for the response!

#567 1 year ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Thanks I appreciate it, but now I'm wondering if you really have 1.5 or the beta rom 1.05. If you have a ROM reader, you could just post the bin file, then everyone would have access to it. Or if you don't, I'm sure someone close to you has one. I have one, but let's make sure it is indeed an upgraded version, and not the beta, which wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Quoted from yaksplat:

On my rom chips U1L and U1H the chips were labeled b1.05 but i could have sworn that the screen showed 1.5. Look at your chips to confirm the version.

Quoted from nerbflong:

Thanks for the compliments! I appreciate that. I think Breakshot looks good because you know (basically) what colors to expect. So that helps. Either way I think it turned out good and its one of my favorites. But yes, 1.2 or 1.3 will give you full color.
As for the rom, if it is indeed 1.5 I would love a copy (Have a rom burner/reader) and would most likely fix the coloring for that as well. But as yaksplat said, I think its 1.05

Quoted from yaksplat:

One dead giveaway is that there's no smoking moose in the match sequence in the beta.

I will check the chips, but the startup screen shows b1.5 (See pic below)
Breakshot startup (resized).png

Breakshot startup (resized).pngAlso, I don't have a moose in the match sequence at all. Unless you mean after that when it says "Game End" In which case he's not smoking.

Chris

#568 1 year ago

I found this on a search. You definitely have the beta version, and you really don't want that version.

"Note: The 1.05 beta rom varies a bit in terms of gameplay compared to the rules listed with the table here and also has some different animations and a different choose your shot method. Note that even though it calls itself 1.5 beta it's actually beta 1.05 and therefore older than the production rom (i.e. there was also a beta 1.03 and that one was older than beta 1.05). It has been said that the beta versions are incomplete an unstable so use it at your own peril. I'm not sure what differences the redemption game has offhand."

After you do upgrade to v1.3, post another video of the game play if you would. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of gameplay videos out there with the ColorDMD.

#569 1 year ago

Cutthroat Countdown was added after that beta as well. Contact @astill for some updated roms. He got them to me very quickly when i needed an upgrade to my machine.

#571 1 year ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Cutthroat Countdown was added after that beta as well. Contact @astill for some updated roms. He got them to me very quickly when i needed an upgrade to my machine.

Yes, he reached out to me as well. Order will be placed immediately!

Chris

1 week later
#572 1 year ago

When is someone gonna sell me a Breakshot dang it??? This game is on my shortlist.
I really want to get a modern game with habitrails and fancy ramps but I LOVED Breakshot when I played it. I deeply enjoy the old school single level games. Can’t beat that late 70’s, early 80’s feel.

#573 1 year ago

Got my roms from Astill and installed them today. It's like a whole new game!!!! Loving it!

Chris

#574 1 year ago

Got my roms from Astill and installed them today. It's like a whole new game!!!! Loving it!

Thanks for posting. ColorDMD looks great. I did see a few uncolored frames during frenzy - ColorDMD guys would probably fix that for you if you let them know about it. I like your Stan Fukuoka autographed translite, too!

#575 1 year ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Thanks for posting. ColorDMD looks great. I did see a few uncolored frames during frenzy - ColorDMD guys would probably fix that for you if you let them know about it. I like your Stan Fukuoka autographed translite, too!

I saw em too. Frenzy has that super random background with the balls flying and I can' catch every possible combination so every now and again you'll see a yellow frame.

#576 1 year ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

I saw em too. Frenzy has that super random background with the balls flying and I can' catch every possible combination so every now and again you'll see a yellow frame.

I didn’t notice when I was playing and to be honest I don't know how you guys get them as good as you do. I am fine with it. It’s far better with the 1.3 ROMs than it was before and the color looks spectacular to me. I thank you for your work!

Chris

#577 1 year ago

Thanks Silver unicorn. I love color dmd myself.

1 month later
#578 10 months ago

On startup my Breakshot says v1.2. Wondering if I should be updating to v1.3 or later. I don't have a color dmd.

#579 10 months ago
Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

On startup my Breakshot says v1.2. Wondering if I should be updating to v1.3 or later. I don't have a color dmd.

I installed v1.3 just because I needed it for the color dmd. No difference in code that I have noticed from v1.2.

#580 10 months ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

I installed v1.3 just because I needed it for the color dmd. No difference in code that I have noticed from v1.2.

Thanks. I won't bother then unless I get a color dmd.

#581 10 months ago
Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

Thanks. I won't bother then unless I get a color dmd.

Oh, you should get a color DMD. It is awesome in Breakshot.

Chris

#582 10 months ago

Oh, you should get a color DMD. It is awesome in Breakshot.
Chris

Cheers Chris. Just watched your video. It does look very good. I'll have a look around for one. A color dmd over a EM style playfield is pretty different!

2 weeks later
#583 10 months ago

Gentlemen,
I recently picked up a really nice Breakshot, but there is one issue that I cannot seem to remedy. Whenever any switch from Row 1 is activated, they all activate. This occurs both in gameplay and test. The transistors and diodes all test good, but I did notice that someone hacked the wiring to the center pkt. opto (switch 65) which is included in that first switch row. It may or may not be my issue, but I would like to address it before moving on with diagnosing. The brown and red wires coming off of that opto are cut and go nowhere. The orange and black wires are wire-nutted into the harness. Orange is tied to red/purple and black is tied to white/brown. I cannot tell what the wiring should be from the maunal. Can anyone give me a clear pic of the four wires leaving the opto and connecting to the harness?
Thanks for your time,
-Kyros

Breakshot Opto (resized).jpgBreakshot Switch Matix (resized).jpg
#584 10 months ago

you've got it right there:

pasted_image (resized).png
#585 10 months ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

you've got it right there:[quoted image]

Right, but those wires are for the switch signal itself. I am curious about the power that should be going to the opto. I assume that is what the cut red and brown wires are for but I cannot find their "mates" in the harness. Also, what is the factory connector that should be there? Thanks again for the help.
-Kyros

#586 10 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

When is someone gonna sell me a Breakshot dang it??? This game is on my shortlist.
I really want to get a modern game with habitrails and fancy ramps but I LOVED Breakshot when I played it. I deeply enjoy the old school single level games. Can’t beat that late 70’s, early 80’s feel.

Success!! Joined the club on Tuesday but had to pick up a 7-day stretch at work to pay for it!
Just finally got to play the crap out of it today!!
Looks great in the new lineup and it’s just a gem.
This game is absolutely a keeper.
I’m probably gonna grab the Cliffy’s for this.
Any other recommendations for maintenance and such? I’ve never owned a modern game, let alone a capcom before.

I’ve been searching for pictures of the cash box and I’ve yet to find any. Did Capcom’s even come with one?

DE94304E-2E5A-4E1B-84A9-B04C371059F3.jpeg83415DE2-2AB9-491D-A113-596691CA57A0.jpeg0DB73950-1077-4ACB-8656-EC6D59E4F41D.jpeg0319D018-E561-4360-88E1-A97E655E7C81.jpeg
#587 10 months ago

Success!! Joined the club on Tuesday but had to pick up a 7-day stretch at work to pay for it!
Just finally got to play the crap out of it today!!
Looks great in the new lineup and it’s just a gem.
This game is absolutely a keeper.
I’m probably gonna grab the Cliffy’s for this.
Any other recommendations for maintenance and such? I’ve never owned a modern game, let alone a capcom before.
I’ve been searching for pictures of the cash box and I’ve yet to find any. Did Capcom’s even come with one?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats. ColorDMD looks great in this game! http://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-breakshot-pinball-machine/

#588 9 months ago

I figured out why my flippers are buzzing so badly, one louder than the other. The coil stops are absolutely bashed apart on this thing. The flippers have a TON of power, very satisfying to flip.
In fact my sister went and played my Night Moves 80b and said “these flippers suck!”
Really Capcom just spoils us, they’ve more snap than others like Bally and Gottlieb.

Anyway, I see Marco has coil stops but I’ve heard varying opinions. Are they good, can I possibly just repress my existing stops? Is there one place that has better Capcom coil stops than others?

#589 9 months ago

I completely rebuilt mine with those stops from marco. The links were destroyed, but i could still not fix some minor buzzing no matter what i did.

I ended up order plenty of parts from australia. Took a week or two, not too bad.

#590 9 months ago

Breakshot did come with a coin box (see attached picture). I also attached a picture of the coin door decal. Capcom designed some great pins!

Steve (in Las Vegas)

Breakshot Coin Box (resized).jpgBreakshot Decal (resized).jpg
#591 9 months ago
Quoted from Kyrosfear:

Right, but those wires are for the switch signal itself. I am curious about the power that should be going to the opto. I assume that is what the cut red and brown wires are for but I cannot find their "mates" in the harness. Also, what is the factory connector that should be there? Thanks again for the help.
-Kyros

This is what you refer too.?

20200618_090319 (resized).jpg
#592 9 months ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Breakshot did come with a coin box (see attached picture). I also attached a picture of the coin door decal. Capcom designed some great pins!
Steve (in Las Vegas)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you! I’m trying to find one that will fit, looks very similar to a Williams coinbox.

Quoted from yaksplat:

I completely rebuilt mine with those stops from marco. The links were destroyed, but i could still not fix some minor buzzing no matter what i did.
I ended up order plenty of parts from australia. Took a week or two, not too bad.

Minor buzzing isnt bad, this is very loud, like an old EM. The kind that sounds like a coil is melting. But it’s not getting hot, so it seems the stops must be shot, they’re loose.
That’s what I wanted to know, I’ll have to order the Australian ones.

1 week later
#593 9 months ago

Minor buzzing isnt bad, this is very loud, like an old EM. The kind that sounds like a coil is melting.

Normal for Capcom mechanics, there's feedback from the coils going into the audio. Happens with the upper gate coils also, not just holding the flippers. There's a post that talks about some changes you can make to cut down on the buzzing at the cost of some flipper power.

1 week later
#594 9 months ago

Has anybody replaced capacitors c1-c4?
I found them, but only "snap on," type . Is this the one we need?

#595 9 months ago
Quoted from Caviel:

Normal for Capcom mechanics, there's feedback from the coils going into the audio. Happens with the upper gate coils also, not just holding the flippers. There's a post that talks about some changes you can make to cut down on the buzzing at the cost of some flipper power.

Some of it is speaker buzz, but the coil stops are actually totally loose. The brass piece has about 1/4” movement it can rattle around with. One side is better than the other but that make the buzzing extremely loud.
Definitely need to replace them.
Can I press my own new bushing or not possible?

1 week later
#596 9 months ago

I recently joined the Breakshot Club via online auction with a project purchase that is proving to be a challenge. Unfortunately my machine arrived missing the entire CPU board (A0015405) along with the driver/power/switch board which I actually did find and had shipped in from Australia. Aside from the missing boards, the game is in good shape and I'd really like to resurrect it from the dead. Oh, if I only had a brain!

Does anyone out there have any ideas on getting this pin to play again?

Thanks!

20200622_162300 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#597 7 months ago
Quoted from JohnnyRingo:

I recently joined the Breakshot Club via online auction with a project purchase that is proving to be a challenge. Unfortunately my machine arrived missing the entire CPU board (A0015405) along with the driver/power/switch board which I actually did find and had shipped in from Australia. Aside from the missing boards, the game is in good shape and I'd really like to resurrect it from the dead. Oh, if I only had a brain!
Does anyone out there have any ideas on getting this pin to play again?
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Did you get anywhere with the Breakshot project? I'm in the Denver area and have a working Breakshot should you ever need a template to go off of when attempting to get the game working.

3 weeks later
#598 6 months ago

Greeting Breakshot friends!

I was working on my game last night and noticed some hacks I had previously overlooked. I’d like to correct these and put the game back to original.

Can anyone tell me what part number I’m looking for here?
B87CA2E3-516F-427A-B9C8-5033C7046B72.jpeg
This is the back bracket for the drop targets, that you unscrew to replace them. Right now it’s a strip of rubber that was cut to fit.

Also someone for whatever reason cut the wire going to the outhole switch and then ran a new wire right next to the original orange one, while leaving the original in place. Doesn’t make any sense. 68FA292F-EEC8-46BE-ACCB-DDF7372B0DF2.jpeg94D05700-1235-41C2-8D0D-C57EAF98A652.jpeg
Any clues for why they might have done that?

I’m going to reverse it, probably shouldn’t have any issues since they go to the same spot, right?

Also I found out the speaker buzz mod has already been done, so the loud buzzing it definitely from my destroyed coil stops.

#599 6 months ago

I want to buy a CQ example if anyone is selling theirs. Willing to overpay significantly.

3 weeks later
#600 6 months ago

Hi Friends! Joined the club a couple of weeks ago and have been absolutely loving my Breakshot!

So this might sound like an ambitious goal, but I’m tossing around the idea of doing a software rewrite in MPF and installing a PROC to not only solve the issue of these failing unobtainable boards, but expand the rule set a bit. Any thoughts, ideas or lack of foresight on achieving this feat? Would love to hear your ideas!

There are 638 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside