16785128709647274982899981544173 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
F12D29B5-D0FB-4B0F-B075-35BD68BAA67E (resized).jpeg
FA84E152-0828-4E82-AC34-53DB19E67CA8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8582 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8581 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8576 (resized).jpeg
There are 823 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.
#501 4 years ago

That's what mine was doing. Sounded like it was closing about 10 times and then a couple others would close. It was one switch on the row that was wired incorrectly. Unsolder the white/green wire from all of those switches but make sure the white/green still has continuity to the last switch. Test that one, then solder on the next, test both, etc... When it starts going crazy again, you found the badly wired switch.

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

That's what mine was doing. Sounded like it was closing about 10 times and then a couple others would close. It was one switch on the row that was wired incorrectly. Unsolder the white/green wire from all of those switches but make sure the white/green still has continuity to the last switch. Test that one, then solder on the next, test both, etc... When it starts going crazy again, you found the badly wired switch.

Thanks will try that, but may be a couple days.

#503 4 years ago

I'm off to vegas in 24. So I'll be away from my machine and i don't think that the pinball hall of fame will let me into theirs

#504 4 years ago

Just put new v1.3 roms in my breakshot. Wow! it's like a completely different game. If you're running b1.05 roms, make the switch. More callouts, animations, sounds, cut-throat countdown, buy in, match sequence...

And the color DMD has everything colorized in this version.

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Just put new v1.3 roms in my breakshot. Wow! it's like a completely different game. If you're running b1.05 roms, make the switch. More callouts, animations, sounds, cut-throat countdown, buy in, match sequence...
And the color DMD has everything colorized in this version.

Curious if you got your 1.3 roms from Marco? I just ordered some, as well as the color DMD. Can’t wait for the install!

#506 4 years ago

I bought my roms from @astill. Cheaper than marco and less for shipping as well.

I was just going through the menus and found that you can turn the scoring chimes off. Those got annoying quick.

#507 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm off to vegas in 24. So I'll be away from my machine and i don't think that the pinball hall of fame will let me into theirs

Have fun at the hall of fame. Been their a few times. It’s Ok, but wish it were as nice as Pacific Pinball Museum.

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I bought my roms from astill. Cheaper than marco and less for shipping as well.
I was just going through the menus and found that you can turn the scoring chimes off. Those got annoying quick.

Thanks for the info. Look forward to seeing some of the new menu features!

#509 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Thanks will try that, but may be a couple days.

Well ended up disconnecting every switch connecting through the white green wire circuit and no change. Also disconnected the right center pocket switch. The test display flashes the center pocket switch message rapidly with the right top lane message just displaying briefly once in a while. Could this be a board problem?

0023FE7D-5B64-4690-959E-DF17305DA5E6 (resized).jpeg0023FE7D-5B64-4690-959E-DF17305DA5E6 (resized).jpeg75437516-0AFC-4DC8-880E-45B22C77ACBA (resized).jpeg75437516-0AFC-4DC8-880E-45B22C77ACBA (resized).jpeg
#510 4 years ago

Update: worked on it Sunday, with help. No progress. Helper going to bring a switch tester next weekend. Personally beginning to think it’s possessed.

#511 4 years ago

Why do I see so many closed switches? Is that what it normally looks like?

#512 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Why do I see so many closed switches? Is that what it normally looks like?

Don’t know normal, so not sure. How was Vegas?

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Don’t know normal, so not sure. How was Vegas?

Here's normal on mine.
IMG_20191015_082527 (resized).jpgIMG_20191015_082527 (resized).jpg

Vegas was a blast. Hit the PHOF. It was fun, but I just expected a bit more from it. Some of the games were really beat. Prices were all over the place per game as were the ball counts. Not necessarily obvious either. $1 for 3 balls, .75 for 5...

#514 4 years ago

I just added BriteCaps EVO to my pop bumpers. I like that they're a lot more purple instead of the pink that they looked before.

IMG_20191015_120106 (resized).jpgIMG_20191015_120106 (resized).jpg

IMG_20191015_120851 (resized).jpgIMG_20191015_120851 (resized).jpg

The centers do a quick flash when hit too.

#515 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Here's normal on mine.
[quoted image]
Vegas was a blast. Hit the PHOF. It was fun, but I just expected a bit more from it. Some of the games were really beat. Prices were all over the place per game as were the ball counts. Not necessarily obvious either. $1 for 3 balls, .75 for 5...

Glad Vegas a blast. Agree that phof disappoints. Lots of potential, but.....

As for Breakshot. Checked closed switches against switch matrix in book. Definite pattern. Just not sure what it means. May be hard to see, but pencil dots show closed switches. And the don’t work on PF.

43A3DBBD-D1A4-48BA-99CF-E72158DDAEE4 (resized).jpeg43A3DBBD-D1A4-48BA-99CF-E72158DDAEE4 (resized).jpeg
#516 4 years ago

wow. You've got 4 messed up rows. That looks like a board issue. I haven't attempted to diagnose one of those yet.

#517 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

wow. You've got 4 messed up rows. That looks like a board issue. I haven't attempted to diagnose one of those yet.

Yep that’s what I’m afraid of, thankfully will have help more knowledgeable than me. He’s just busy.

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Glad Vegas a blast. Agree that phof disappoints. Lots of potential, but.....
As for Breakshot. Checked closed switches against switch matrix in book. Definite pattern. Just not sure what it means. May be hard to see, but pencil dots show closed switches. And the don’t work on PF.[quoted image]

Just to be clear, which switch numbers are the ones not working?

So what I would do first is reseat the switch matrix wiring at the MPU to see if that helps. Many Capcom games I find I have to repin these connectors.

2019-10-20 00_49_28-Internet Pinball Machine Database_ Capcom 'Breakshot' Images (resized).png2019-10-20 00_49_28-Internet Pinball Machine Database_ Capcom 'Breakshot' Images (resized).png088365452374b3173ad2c32176c5b0d15f82a750.jpeg (resized).jpg088365452374b3173ad2c32176c5b0d15f82a750.jpeg (resized).jpg

#519 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Top three rows and second from the bottom. The ones with the dots above the switch number.

#520 4 years ago

Thanks both of you, taking a small break from working on it, as my more knowledgeable help is really busy and I have some family and work issues pulling me away from pinball a bit. (damn real life) But hoping to get back to it in the next week or two. Will look into re-seating the wiring. Also, to clarify, the switches showing closed in the diagnostic screen, also do not work on the play field, which makes since as the system thinks they are closed. And all the tilt switches in the cabinet, don't tilt the game, but switches 21, 53, and 61 do slam tilt the game. So much fun.

#521 4 years ago

If reseating the cables do not help, likely the SMT parts in blue have pins that broken solder joints on the MPU.

2019-10-22 09_20_26-Breakshot club, members only..._ _ All clubs (...members only!) _ Pinside.com -  (resized).png2019-10-22 09_20_26-Breakshot club, members only..._ _ All clubs (...members only!) _ Pinside.com - (resized).png

#522 4 years ago

If reseating the cables do not help, likely the SMT parts in blue have pins that broken solder joints on the MPU.
[quoted image]

Thanks, I have a video of the switch diagnostic screen. Just don't know how to show it on Pinside. Let me know if you want me to send it another way, or if you know how to get it on here. Also, when the playfield is not plugged in, nothing shows up.

thanks again.

#523 4 years ago

Put the video on YouTube and link it on this Pinside thread.

#524 4 years ago

Put the video on YouTube and link it on this Pinside thread.

If the playfield connectors are not connected, all switches are open. Connected he's getting this:

http://gallery.antelopearcade.com/default.aspx?moid=3852

#525 4 years ago
Quoted from mikebetz42:

If the playfield connectors are not connected, all switches are open. Connected he's getting this:
http://gallery.antelopearcade.com/default.aspx?moid=3852

Thanks for the post Mike.

#526 4 years ago

I am unable to view it as I see 'Invalid Source' error.

#527 4 years ago

I am unable to view it as I see 'Invalid Source' error.

Odd, I clicked and took me right to the video. http://gallery.antelopearcade.com/default.aspx?moid=3852

copied it here in case that helps. Otherwise, do you want to pm your email address to me?

#528 4 years ago

Now I can view the video in Firefox browser. Seems that was an Internet Explorer issue for me.

Looks like you have switch 70 -CNTR PocKeT right stuck closed and at times switch 64-R.top lane and 30 Tilt Bob are registering. Can you post a picture of the wiring to these switches? Seems one may be wired wrong to the diode. Switch 70 could just be permanently closed for some reason.

#529 4 years ago

Now I can view the video in Firefox browser. Seems that was an Internet Explorer issue for me.
Looks like you have switch 70 -CNTR PocKeT right stuck closed and at times switch 64-R.top lane and 30 Tilt Bob are registering. Can you post a picture of the wiring to these switches? Seems one may be wired wrong to the diode. Switch 70 could just be permanently closed for some reason.

Thanks, may be a while before I get back to it. Family medical stuff. Will post progress when get back to it.

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Thanks, may be a while before I get back to it. Family medical stuff. Will post progress when get back to it.

Wish your family well, so you can get back some more joy in your life.

#531 4 years ago

Sign me up as a member of the club, bought our Breakshot via Ebay a few weeks ago based on the wife finding it in a search for a "less busy" table compared to our TZ. Cabinet and PF were all in great shape on arrival, a couple of cosmetic blemishes on the side rails and lock bar and one dead PF bulb. The only play issues were a broken drop target (A replacement was provided by the seller and not installed) and a DMD driver board with a blown cap outlined in another thread that, of course, wasn't an issue before shipping.

Driver board issue circumvented by installing a ColorDMD which looks amazing in the machine; like it's stock. Major props to the ColorDMD and colorizing team that worked on the displays. The table also needed a typical set of rubbers and a good clean+wax, and I swapped out the rest of the drop targets with decals since the originals were plain and very yellowed compared to the bright white replacement.

Couple of hopefully quick questions for everyone:

I've had a few instances with the capture area center saucer and the game not picking it up and raising the post. I end up having to wait for the stuck ball process and a rotation through the solenoids to kick the ball back into play. Just popped in 1.3 ROM updates last night in hopes it will fix the issue, but I haven't had a chance to play the table yet. Haven't found a change log anywhere, anyone know what changed? I had 1.2 in it before so fingers crossed.

Anyone else get a nasty air ball from the lower flippers off the upper drop target area into the glass? I dropped the flipper solenoid strength from 13 to 10 after installing the 1.3 ROMs in hopes that might cut down on the issue a bit.

Is the knocker solenoid incredibly loud by default? I'm greatly considering putting some sort of padding in there to dampen the impact/volume.

#532 4 years ago

The switches in the pockets can go bad. I had a bad one.

I do get airballs to the upper right. I'm going to make a protector for the plastics on mine.

I don't know that the knocker is louder than other machines, but it is loud.

#533 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

The switches in the pockets can go bad. I had a bad one.

Yea, this must be the case since I had it happen again last night in play test after installing the 1.3 ROMs. I remembered the issue incorrectly, the opto trigger raised the post, but the center saucer switch must need adjustment or replacement since the ball just sat in the saucer until the lost ball kickout.

#534 4 years ago

Double check the diodes as well. I had to change out most of the switches on my drop targets, There were almost all faulty. The internal contacts must be dirty as they connect sometimes, but not consistent enough.

#535 4 years ago

I made an airball deflector for the top drops if anybody would like the design. PM me.

4 weeks later
#536 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Double check the diodes as well. I had to change out most of the switches on my drop targets, There were almost all faulty. The internal contacts must be dirty as they connect sometimes, but not consistent enough.

Yep, finally got around to it the other night. Replaced the switch and diode, center pocket working like a champ now. Ran tests and the 8-ball side saucer looks like it needs to be swapped out also. It works, but chatters pretty bad. Good thing I ordered more than one switch

2 weeks later
#537 4 years ago

Picked up a Breakshot and I'm in the process of cleaning, etc. I'm wondering if other manufacturer pop bumper brackets will work in place of the Capcom bracket? Does anyone have experience with this? I have 1 broken bracket.

#538 4 years ago

The coil stop is sized differently. 0.845" on the capcom vs 0.70" on a bracket from a williams system 11. That's measuring from the center of the stop to the flat edge. you can visually see the difference here.
IMG_20191219_094715 (resized).jpgIMG_20191219_094715 (resized).jpg

The footprint is the same, but they sit differently. Look at the legs. Left is the williams.
IMG_20191219_095319 (resized).jpgIMG_20191219_095319 (resized).jpg

Here's my recommendation. Go through the entire machine and if you end up needing a part that you can't find anywhere, it's usually available from australia. You don't want to have to place multiple orders.

https://www.rtbb.com.au/product/capcom-pop-bumper-bracket-a-00373/
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/a-00373.html

It takes about 3 weeks to get parts from either of them to the US. Shipping was about $15. Just remember that there's about 40% exchange rate, so the prices are quite reasonable.

Or you can just find someone to weld the bracket for you, which would be cheaper.

#539 4 years ago

I'm going to have a friend weld it. I appreciate your noting the differences between the Williams and Capcom. Do you have any links to the Williams flipper swap for Capcom machines? Flippers need some love too.

#540 4 years ago

Mine were in decent shape. I just cleaned them up and they work great. Take a look at my breakshot restoration thread. I put a lot of info in there along the way.

2 weeks later
#541 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

For anyone looking for translite / backglass: just received answer from CPR. They are converting translites to backglasses to sell through Marco. They haven't converted and don't have digital file for Breakshot yet. In any case, I would prefer a translite (being cheap) so if anyone has a lead on one, please let me know.

I have a translite on the way. Once I receive it, I have a friend who's going to scan into a digital file.
When that's done, I'll message you and send a file. Most capable graphics shops will print a translite cheap if you've got a good file that needs little to no correction.

#542 4 years ago

Multiball doesn't seem to last long enough for me. Is there an option to have a ball save for the start of the 2 ball Ballarama / 3 ball Breakshot Frenzy?

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

Multiball doesn't seem to last long enough for me. Is there an option to have a ball save for the start of the 2 ball Ballarama / 3 ball Breakshot Frenzy?

Unfortunately no, there are only two ball saves: The first is for the main initial plunger launch (B2-09, default 8 seconds), and a second save (B2-10, default yes/on) for ejects from any saucer that lasts 4 seconds or until a switch is hit, whichever comes first.

#544 4 years ago

Thanks Caviel. Still, it's a great game. Happy flipping.

1 week later
#545 4 years ago

I loved Break Shot so I have it as a keeper, but it is kept at a friend's house; therefore, it does not get much of my attention. After playing it recently to assess it's condition; I'm considering right now how does one get more bounce out of the top three in-lanes? Can't say I've completely searched the archives for any prior ideas in this regard, so please indulge my question. The rubber rings are pretty (a lot) old, so it is no surprise that the ball doesn't seem to bounce much at all. I'm thinking back on other games with similar in-lanes, and nudging the game to get the ball into the needed lane is ever important. So in this regard, I'm not just forgetting what new rubber rings will do and am wondering if a tweak of some sort can help, like slightly oversized rings (are they even available)? Thanks in advance.

#546 4 years ago

I have titans on mine and it bounces all over

#547 4 years ago
Quoted from FathomPin:

I loved Break Shot so I have it as a keeper, but it is kept at a friend's house; therefore, it does not get much of my attention. After playing it recently to assess it's condition; I'm considering right now how does one get more bounce out of the top three in-lanes? Can't say I've completely searched the archives for any prior ideas in this regard, so please indulge my question. The rubber rings are pretty (a lot) old, so it is no surprise that the ball doesn't seem to bounce much at all. I'm thinking back on other games with similar in-lanes, and nudging the game to get the ball into the needed lane is ever important. So in this regard, I'm not just forgetting what new rubber rings will do and am wondering if a tweak of some sort can help, like slightly oversized rings (are they even available)? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need a rubber kit, my Breakshot bounces just fine with standard blacks. Regarding getting the upper lane you want, did you disable lane light rotation via the flipper buttons?

1 month later
#548 4 years ago

Hi, well been a lloooonnnnggg while since have had a chance to work on Breakshot. Family on going medical situation, and decided to finish Gottlieb Baseball em project while on Breakshot break.

Now back to it and re-read all the diagnosing posts from months ago.

Current status: The game will light up, but won’t start a game. re ran the diode tests. All diodes on the white yellow, green, blue, and purple wire paths show continuity instead of giving a diode reading. All other switch diodes ok.

First question: should I start a new help for this machine thread instead of taking up more space on this thread?

#549 4 years ago

Could somebody upload a picture of the j15/j16 connectors on the driver board. Not sure if I have them.in the correct ports.
Thanks

#550 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Could somebody upload a picture of the j15/j16 connectors on the driver board. Not sure if I have them.in the correct ports.
Thanks

I can get a pic tonight if you still need one.

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 823 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-club-members-only/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.