• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SW.jpg
DaftPunk.jpg

#1 9 years ago

So I posted in another thread I was looking for the shiny gold Judge Dredd eagle topper. I currently have Planetary Pinballs mustard colored replica one and it was suggested that I get it gold plated. After a little research gold plating would be too costly, but brass plating would also give it that shiny gold look.

So now i'm wondering if anyone can recommend a place that could brass plate the plastic topper?
I emailed Mike Chestnut but he can't do plastic pieces.
Thanks guy

#2 9 years ago

There is a Zaccaria thread on Pinside where the OP had chrome plating done on the plastic piece for the coin door. He mentioned the plater. I am guessing they can do brass as well.

#3 9 years ago

What you want to look for is someone that can do vacuum metalizing, which uses aluminum, but can then be colored with a top coat to give you a gold look. That's how pretty much all shiny plastic is done, and probably how the original topper was done.

#4 9 years ago

I may be "outing" myself as an even bigger nerd than I want, but I've chrome plated plastics before while making Daft Punk helmets for a friend and I. It's a big time commitment to make sure the parts are perfect before starting, but the results are pretty nice when it's all said and done.

DaftPunk.jpgDaftPunk.jpg
#5 9 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

I may be "outing" myself as an even bigger nerd than I want, but I've chrome plated plastics before while making Daft Punk helmets for a friend and I. It's a big time commitment to make sure the parts are perfect before starting, but the results are pretty nice when it's all said and done.

DaftPunk.jpg 85 KB

You're never allowed in my house again.

#6 9 years ago

I have had great results from a good primer and gold paint....just another thought, as their is some high end Gold Spray.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

DaftPunk.jpg 85 KB

Bad. Ass.

I'm not sure how much the replica topper is worth, but if it wasn't an arm and a leg, I'd seriously consider spray painting it with metallic spray paint....

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Bad. Ass.
I'm not sure how much the replica topper is worth, but if it wasn't an arm and a leg, I'd seriously consider spray painting it with metallic spray paint....

If you are really going for a gold plated look spray paint won't get you there. With a gold spray paint you may get a metallic flake look, but won't be able to achieve reflection. I started by chroming my helmets which is a process unto itself. Once you get the chrome on the final color is achieved with a tinted clear coat, in the case of the gold helmet I did I added some 24kt gold tint to my clear coat.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You're never allowed in my house again.

Aw jeez, I was hoping you would dress up with me for the Spooky Pinball cosplay contest at MGC this year. I was going to dig these out of storage for us to wear.

SW.jpgSW.jpg
#10 9 years ago

Ya those helms look awesome. And you're 100% right about the spray paint. I've practiced a little with some and though they look nice they don't give that reflective look. Though if this ends up being too hard to do or too costly I might just have to settle on spraying it. If Planetary Pinball would just get the reflective ones in again this would be a moot point lol.

#11 9 years ago

Has anyone asked Rick if he is going to do the gold plated ones again?

#12 9 years ago

Luckily, I know some world class scale modelers, so I know the options aren't limited to the shit you get at the hardware store...

http://alclad2.com/finishes/high-shine/

#13 9 years ago

Anything that can be sprayed with conductive paint can be plated.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Has anyone asked Rick if he is going to do the gold plated ones again?

I actually have. They said since they have the ugly mustard ones in stock they wont be getting the shiny ones back in.
My rebuttal is the reason why they are out of the shiny gold ones is because they look great and ugly mustard colored ones are well ugly lol

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Ya those helms look awesome. And you're 100% right about the spray paint. I've practiced a little with some and though they look nice they don't give that reflective look. Though if this ends up being too hard to do or too costly I might just have to settle on spraying it. If Planetary Pinball would just get the reflective ones in again this would be a moot point lol.

If you're interested at all in having me chrome the topper send me a PM and we can see what can be done.

#17 9 years ago

Not trying to steer the conversation, but I got a quote from them back in 2010 for $2,500 to get a few pieces done.

#18 9 years ago

I had my R2 head from my Star Wars game rechromed by them, $50. For the size of that topper I could see spending $400-$500 or more.

#19 9 years ago

Oh wow I just sent them an email. That's way out of my price range though. For that I can live without the reflective gold lol.

I do appreciate the link though.
I'm gonna send Merfeldma a PM but this is sounding like it'll be way to hard/expensive

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I had my R2 head from my Star Wars game rechromed by them, $50. For the size of that topper I could see spending $400-$500 or more.

I had the gun barrels from my CC chromed by them probably 2 years ago for $90. I had found one other place that did metallizing at the time and they wanted more than twice that.

#21 9 years ago

Just a quick update they quoted me $150 which in all honestly is not that bad.
If I got the mustard colored topper as a gift or for free, I probably would pull the trigger on this.
But all in all I'm in no rush for it. The game plays the same with or without it and I'm a pretty patient person overall. So I'm just gonna hold off for the time being.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Just a quick update they quoted me $150 which in all honestly is not that bad.
If I got the mustard colored topper as a gift or for free, I probably would pull the trigger on this.
But all in all I'm in no rush for it. The game plays the same with or without it and I'm a pretty patient person overall. So I'm just gonna hold off for the time being.

Not to bad of a price IMO too. But when all is combined it's just too much. But good to know anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens
Toppers
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus
(Alt) Translites
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brass-plating-plastic-can-and-where and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.