(Topic ID: 110935)

Brass Apron? Good idea? Yes or No?

By kaneda

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Brass Apron”

• Yes 10 votes
      48%
    • No 9 votes
      43%
    • Not sure. 2 votes
      10%

(21 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-183.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Did a search but haven't really seen anyone brass their apron. Saw a nice chrome apron for Tron. But just wondering if you guys thinking making the apron Brass for LOTR would look good or bad. Too much bling? I do think it's possible to overdue it and sometimes black helps make the other colors pop. Thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

it will tarnish and go dull really fast, need constant cleaning to keep shiny.

#4 9 years ago

I did my ij a year or two ago. Never had issues and friend that has it now has never said it tranished

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

I did my ij a year or two ago. Never had issues and friend that has it now has never said it tranished

Can you share a photo? Curious to see what it looks like.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from BloodyCactus:

it will tarnish and go dull really fast, need constant cleaning to keep shiny.

Why would it tarnish.? If it was clean, and placed under glass in an air conditioned house, and rarely touched, it wouldn't tarnish. I think it would look great on a lotr le with the gold package. I personally did a brass plated apron cover with CNC cutout of "lord of the rings" in it ....and I also did a custom brass speaker panel as well for my lotr. I gotta say ..it looks pretty dope..

#7 9 years ago

brass oxidises in air.

Quoted from modfather:Why would it tarnish.? If it was clean, and placed under glass in an air conditioned house, and rarely touched, it wouldn't tarnish.

because brass oxidises when exposed to air. no touching required.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

My IM hardware is fully brassed. I play it all the time and it's right as rain.

#9 9 years ago

Wouldn't a layer of clear coat resolve any oxidization concerns?

#10 9 years ago

Can you guys with brass aprons share photos?

#11 9 years ago

I have real brass side rails and lockdown bar on my IJ. Yikes. Heavy and look like shit if not constantly polished. I'm going to mike chestnut brass colored/ clearcoated instead. Not worth the hassle.

#12 9 years ago

I had gotten real brass side rails, I got them cleaned and clear coated and they look great on my TAFG, going on about 8 yrs. now. Just have all brass cleared and it seems to work, at least for me it has. All the brass on my TAFG has been cleared coated. I have not had a apron done yet.

#13 9 years ago

No Apron pics yet? Ok, share anything brass!

#14 9 years ago

I have some I'm doing now that have the window inserts with Saurons eye in brass. I think is awesome in LOTR... Here's some pics in raw. Brass will be done soon.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-183.jpgimage-183.jpg
    #15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zdoor:

I have some I'm doing now that have the window inserts with Saurons eye in brass. I think is awesome in LOTR... Here's some pics in raw. Brass will be done soon.

image.jpg 182 KB

image-183.jpg 148 KB

Sweet. Please share when it's all brass'd out.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

I had gotten real brass side rails, I got them cleaned and clear coated and they look great on my TAFG, going on about 8 yrs. now. Just have all brass cleared and it seems to work, at least for me it has. All the brass on my TAFG has been cleared coated. I have not had a apron done yet.

Mine must have been cleared. Goodie! Because I didn't do it and they look great and have worn great.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brass-apron-good-idea-yes-or-no and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.