(Topic ID: 271820)

Brand new Stern whitestar missing battery diode.

By Loganpinball

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9E04A3CB-BC5F-4CFA-8885-5606EC3AD198 (resized).jpeg
    337D712A-6A51-4B6B-8816-CCD826E63BD2 (resized).jpeg
    072E2C94-AD68-4338-BEE1-E5FC9F42F12D (resized).jpeg
    7AA7C908-35DA-4707-9E01-632AD99E5B06 (resized).jpeg
    57DFF622-9AF7-49F7-B2F9-E9441C418F64 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

I was forced to buy a new whitestar board as my board was unrepairable, which sucks and I bought a brand new one. The game would not retain any settings. I started diagnosing the keep alive memory circuit and to my suprise there was no diode from the battery source connecting to the chipset. Never saw this before. I put in a diode and fixed the issue. It has voltage now and retains settings. Figured I would share this for anyone that has a memory issue.

57DFF622-9AF7-49F7-B2F9-E9441C418F64 (resized).jpeg57DFF622-9AF7-49F7-B2F9-E9441C418F64 (resized).jpeg7AA7C908-35DA-4707-9E01-632AD99E5B06 (resized).jpeg7AA7C908-35DA-4707-9E01-632AD99E5B06 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Diode installed and it works fine. Confused as it did not have one installed in circuit?

072E2C94-AD68-4338-BEE1-E5FC9F42F12D (resized).jpeg072E2C94-AD68-4338-BEE1-E5FC9F42F12D (resized).jpeg
    #3 3 years ago

The first thing I would do is get rid of that battery holder and batteries. The diode wouldn't have been necessary then.
    Install an NVRAM in the RAM socket and never look back.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

The first thing I would do is get rid of that battery holder and batteries. The diode wouldn't have been necessary then.
    Install an NVRAM in the RAM socket and never look back.
    --

Ditto. I've seen many whitestar boards ruined by leaking batteries, and as you've probably discovered, this board isn't quite as easy to find as in other game systems, nor for a reasonable price

#5 3 years ago

the missing diode is a sign to install NVRAM. Guessing the original board was killed by the batteries.

#6 3 years ago

Another vote for NVRAM as it is like a 30 second install replacing that old RAM at U212 and removing the batteries. Removing the battery holder to ensure no batteries ever get installed back into the game....priceless!!

#7 3 years ago

Nope original board was destroyed by a 70 plus year old man fiddling with his machine. I even sent it out to Eldorado games, he has been able to fix boards above my level. And this is the first one he said everything is fried and I have been with him since the nineties. I posted this for anyone that might not be tech savy enough that might buy a new Stern whitestar board that has same issue. I get the ram chip option. But I move the batteries off the boards or do button battery.

#8 3 years ago
    337D712A-6A51-4B6B-8816-CCD826E63BD2 (resized).jpeg337D712A-6A51-4B6B-8816-CCD826E63BD2 (resized).jpeg
    #9 3 years ago

Done.

9E04A3CB-BC5F-4CFA-8885-5606EC3AD198 (resized).jpeg9E04A3CB-BC5F-4CFA-8885-5606EC3AD198 (resized).jpeg
    #10 3 years ago

With respect...any batteries in the backbox can and will damage the boards.
    If they are mounted above the board, they can "drip" onto the boards.
    I've also seen leaky batteries create a "fog" in the backbox and corrode every board in the backbox. It's weird...but I've seen it at least a few times.
    Just an FYI...not saying anything more.
    --

#11 3 years ago

My TSPP has battery damage 10+ inches from the battery holder. The remote is better than on board, but its not far enough away.

#12 3 years ago

If you insists on using AA batteries at least use lithium. But the next owner may not be as knowledgeable about battery issues. Getting rid of them makes it more likely the machine survives long term.

#13 3 years ago

Jay,
    Thanks for posting.
    Chris,
    Your contributions are always appreciated!
    Rich

#14 3 years ago

Thanks Rich. I have never lost a board to batteries on any machine that I owned. I change them every year. However, because of this missing diode I got to exchange emails with a game designer that I am a fan of. And he was nice enough to answer questions I had with game developement. I would have never bothered him otherwise so it worked out. I really posted this so if someone bought a new stern board with memory issues maybe this would help them see the problem right away. Diode is right below battery pack in picture. Some collectors are not tech savy, but the post has pictures and would be easy to understand.

#15 3 years ago

I use remote battery holders all the time for Williams games with soldered in RAM chips. Never had an issue and my games run 24/7 on location.

#16 3 years ago

I think most of the other pinball techs that posted here are questioning why any effort would be put forth to make it work on batteries in the first place since NVRAM is a drop in replacement in this board and can be done by anyone, even a collector with no skills and no soldering equipment.

#17 3 years ago

I can answer that. I do not have any nvram chips in my house. I do however have diodes. And I wanted to play the game that day with saved settings. Less than a buck to fix. And less than five minutes to install diode and remote battery pack. Enabling me to play the game with saved settings and scores over ordering a chip and waiting a few days to install it then play the game. No other reason. Its really simple. Not being weird or rude, just saying it was a post to help anyone in the future with a new whitestar board that does a search might have same issue. I was only trying to post a helpfull topic for someone. Not a debate on nvram over batteries which this turned into.

#18 3 years ago

I've never purchased a replacement Whitestar board and just out of curiosity, did the replacement board you purchased come with any of the socketed IC chips or did you have to provide these yourself?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brand-new-stern-whitestar-missing-battery-diode?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.