(Topic ID: 79725)

Brand New Pin Owner - Where's the Manual?

By wongojack

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Ok, I don't mean the actual manual for my table. I can find that. I've just purchased my first pinball table (Revenge from Mars). I'm wondering if there is some general beginners guide to pinball ownership that I could read. I've found various kits and other things for this table, and from reading this site (and others), it seems that the most common thing that requires maintenance are the rubbers and plastics as well as "waxing" the playfield. Seems straightforward, but I'm wondering if there is any kind of simple info about doing these maintenance activities - how to apply the wax, best way to put on rubbers - best way to clean the table.

I've been telling people that I feel like I just bought my first car, it is 14 years old, works fine, but I don't know what to do next. Also, I don't know anyone else who owns a car in this analogy.

I'm a long time tinkerer and have taken on lots of electronics projects mostly related to classic gaming. I can follow instructions without breaking anything, so I think this table has found a good owner. I just need to do some due diligence research and get going making it pretty.

I'm also really comfortable with computers so the computer updates and things like replacing the fan are the "easy" part (as soon as I figure out how to open the case). Regarding the fans, the CPU fan is kinda noisy. I've heard worse. The case fan that you can see from the back never spins, I guess that could be heat activated but I'm not sure.

#4 10 years ago

Welcome and enjoy

There is a wealth of knowledge around here - I also like to read and you may want to check out

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/

#5 10 years ago

Congratulations and welcome.

I broke my pinball virginity 2 weeks ago!

I'm definitely not the best person to talk to regarding all things pinball, but I promise you, everyone here is AWESOME!!! I've never seen so many people willing to take their time to help, teach, give tips and ideas to you. Their just awesome.

Anyway, as a nervous newbie myself, I took apart almost my whole South Park playfield to clean it and change all the rubber on it. I have a very bad memory, but by taking apart a section, fully cleaning it rubbering it and then assembling it back together again, it went off without a single problem. In fact, it was relaxing and fun. And what a great feeling it is when you start playing on a machine you just made look like new again.

The first thing I would suggest you do immediately is replace your batteries. That was the first thing I did. And Thank God too because the batteries in there were Duracell's that expired in March of 2006. I was very fortunate to not have an acid leakage, which can cause havoc on your board.

So, that's my best advice. Last advice is...Watch out for these guys! There are so many talent people on this site who actually build and make all kinds of stuff from toys to lighting kits and everything in between. I've already spent almost $1000 on add on's for my 2 machines. It gets addicting for sure.

Take care, best of luck and I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Derek.

#6 10 years ago

I said the same thing when my first baby arrived and we bought him home. Bit like parenting - trial and error and learn from others - here and in person - is the best thing.
At least I only now have 5 kids, but have 12 machines, so that's a good balance.

Wait - I can here TZ crying - wants daddy to play with him.........

#7 10 years ago

We all began somewhere! Congrats on RFM. I have one, but the computer 'guts' and screen are different than yours probably (been upgraded with a product called Nucore and flatscreen). Any questions, just post them.

Obvious one, is there anything wrong with the pin that you can tell? Flippers strong? Scoop (hole) have any wear around it? There are some things we can steer you too specifically for your game if you have issues.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Wait - I can here TZ crying - wants daddy to play with him.........

LMAO!!!!

#9 10 years ago

I bought this manual when I bought my first pin a few months ago. It is an excellent overall resource. However, it is a bit light on how to diagnose electrical problems.

#10 10 years ago

Holy Cow you guys are fast! Its great to see such an active community here.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Obvious one, is there anything wrong with the pin that you can tell? Flippers strong? Scoop (hole) have any wear around it? There are some things we can steer you too specifically for your game if you have issues.

The hole does have wear around it and there is no "hole protector." It seems like that is something one can find. The ramp cover has a small tear in it. There are some lights out. The guy who sold it tried to explain that there were 2 sensors that didn't work, but I can't seem to figure out where. I'm not an expert at the game, but it seems to do what it is supposed to do.

@pinfidel regarding batteries . . . This game has a full computer in it which probably does have a CMOS coin battery in it, but I'm not sure there is the standard pin battery on the board. I'm still figuring my way around the machine right now and this post has given me a lot to read about.

Edit: Probably something that I should do first is familiarize myself with the game and some of the common terms. So if you reference "scoop hole" and "battery" I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I found the users manual (I think on ipdb) what is the best thing to read to make sure I know all the parts and stuff for a RFM?

#11 10 years ago

Congratulations OP! Welcome to the madness, it will only get worse

Quoted from dendoc:

At least I only now have 5 kids, but have 12 machines, so that's a good balance.

LOL. I will try to keep this 5/12 ratio in mind for the future

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from wongojack:

The hole does have wear around it and there is no "hole protector."

You have to get Cliffy protectors. Cliff is AMAZING! He designs hole protectors that blend seamlessly into the machine. All made out of stainless steel. This guy is ridiculously talented. Look him up to see what I mean.

Quoted from wongojack:

"scoop hole" and "battery"

Yes, those are common terms and everyone will know what you are talking about.

The older games all had double A battery packs in them. They were usually forgotten about and thus leaked their acid all down the board corroding everything in its path. You definitely don't want that to happen.

A HUGE help to me was also going onto YouTube and searching for stuff and then seeing the videos that great people post on there. THen you have a nice visual to see and follow. So you definitely want to do that. You'll find TONS of stuff on there about your machine.

#13 10 years ago

Jack, I just went to YT and looked up your machine. Check out the video from TNT Amusements. Todd (The owner on the video) said to make sure you change the battery in there and you should also replace the cooling fan because it gets all filled with dirt and crud. Great info there and there's a lot of videos to watch. You'll learn a lot just from that.

#14 10 years ago

I would PM you this info, but you don't have the link under your avatar. I wonder why?

Anyway, It was highly recommended to me to clean the PF with Novus cleaner. It's the best. Did an amazing job cleaning my dirty PF and the plastics. It comes in 3 types. Novus 1 (basically a nice glass cleaner.) Novus 2 (the one you'll use 95% of the time. Perfect for cleaning everything on the PF including all the plastics.) and Novus 3 (which is for deeper scratches.). I bought the 8oz 3 pack for like $15 bucks shipped and it has served me well.

I also bought micro fiber cleaning cloths. 2 dozen of them. And you'll go through a lot of them cleaning your PF up. I loved how they worked and are soft and lint free. Others also suggested using soft T-shirts for wiping as well. I would have tried those first, but I had already bought the Micro fiber cloths.

For waxing, 100% carnuba wax. I bought a can of mother's and it worked great. The Novus 2 will clean and add some nice slickness to the PF already. The wax just adds to it. On my SP, I think it was a little over kill, as the game plays pretty fast already. But on a slower type game, it would definitely help out. Plus it's nice to give your PF a little extra protection fro the balls.

Ok my friend. Take care and good luck with everything. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help you with and enjoy your machine!

#15 10 years ago

I have owned both Pin 2k machines for quite some time. Do yourself a favor and change both fans. Look for swelled caps in the PC supply and Main board. If the PS has swelled caps, change the PS or the caps. If your mother board has swelled caps, contact Rob Anthony from Lock when lit. If you work on it first he may reject your job. Other than that, enjoy and beware. RFM got me hooked hard, not my first machine but it, caused THE SICKNESS!

#16 10 years ago

I think I've had enough time to assess my priorities here. Lots of cracking on the rubbers, so those need to get replaced, and I'd like to do some cleaning. I've got 6 or 7 "switches" that aren't working. I want to replace those 2nd, and I've got about 19 lights out. That's a 3rd priority.

Any advice getting these parts?
What's the flipper EOS? That is one of the switches that the diagnostic says is bad.
Diag also says drop target is disabled, where is the drop target on this machine?

Upgrades fall in somewhere after I get those top priorities done, but I am very comfortable with computers and the advantage of being able to use any ole computer with the pinbox software sounds exactly like something I would go for. I don't think that I'll jump on the monitor upgrade right away as the monitor seems like its above average from what I've read.

#17 10 years ago

Hey Jack,

You can find everything you need at some of the big pin part stores. Pinballlife.com. Cointaker.com. Marcosspecialties.com. They should have everything you need. You can get a nice new rubber kit that will include every rubber for the machine. The switches they should have. And the easiest fix is definitely the bulbs. You could replace every bulb with it's respective incandescent, or I bet the game would really pop with a whole new LED kit. You buy a kit that has every bulb for the game in LED form. All you do is take the old bulb out and put the new LED in. They are so bright and beautiful and really make a machine POP!

When it comes to LED's, I have gotten all mine from a SUPER nice guy here on Pinside. His name is Chris. He has a little company he started called Rock customs. His Pinside Handle is Rock914. If you're interested, hit him up. He'll definitely steer you in the right direction and save you money doing it. Even if you don't want to buy from him, you should still talk to him and get his advice. He'll talk to you about different types of LED and ghosting etc. Just like most everyone else here on Pinside, he loves helping people out and sharing his knowledge.

Anyway, hope that helps and good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

7,500 (OBO)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brand-new-pin-owner-wheres-the-manual and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.