Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you feel about this new MPU89 board?”

• I love it, I plan to get one 3 votes
      20%
    • Looks fine, I would consider it if I need one 9 votes
      60%
    • Yikes, not another MPU board 3 votes
      20%

(15 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1594 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eyeamred2u.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ilikewires:

Thanks for the positive comments..
    The boxed connectors were nice for prototype testing alone, so I am sure folks will like that.
    The DC/DC converter is designed for 2A, and the board draws much less than that. I would estimate about 10W or so, so it is a light draw on the 12V.
    You are right about U20, but there were limited options there. But I do give you a 90 day warranty, so if you have bad switch wiring and pop the board, at least it is my issue to replace it.
    My biggest fear is the customer struggling to remove and replug their ASIC chip from old to new board.
    Do you all think that it is worth getting a license to provide the EPROM with the board?
    Right you are on the parts availability.. it is mayhem out there. I shifted an automotive design for a client to a different part, and a week later we could not get that part either. They found 30 pieces at a broker, and when they arrived, they put them in the safe with the gold that they use in their manufacturing.
    The rest of the first 100 production run of the MPU89 will ship to me at the end of this week.
    Sound boards.. sigh. I do have some early designs on some nice sound board stuff.. but if there is anything that I have learned on Pinside, if you hint at a project, folks want a price and delivery. But yes, there is some early work on some sound board work.

I think this is a step in the right direction. SMD components are a challenge to repair, but when older part styles become obsolete, we have to adapt. You have implemented a good solution with the DC/DC converter. I did not like working on SMD boards at first, still don't but just have to. My 2 cents is all I am saying.

Ken

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eyeamred2u.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brand-new-mpu89-board-in-production-has-dc-dc-converter?tu=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.