Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you feel about this new MPU89 board?”

• I love it, I plan to get one 3 votes
      20%
    • Looks fine, I would consider it if I need one 9 votes
      60%
    • Yikes, not another MPU board 3 votes
      20%

(15 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1594 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 2 years ago

Huh, never realized how simple the schematic really was on the WPC-89 boards. Once you empty the real estate by moving to SMT, it starts to look downright elegant in comparison to the originals. Nice clean layout, well done! Does it still include a real-time-clock? Not sure what WPC-89 games had clock based features.

To answer the other questions that came up.....

As a hobby, we have to get used to surface mount components, thru-hole stuff is being discontinued left and right by every major supplier. We're hitting the point that duplicating old designs with thru-hole parts is simply not viable any longer. As a hobby we must adapt as there's no other option. I can't remember the last time at work that we brought in a new design for a customer that had a thru-hole IC other than opto isolators. NOBODY is designing new thru-hole product in any quantity. Too big, cost too much, costlier to manufacture, and harder to design boards with thru-hole IC's. Once you get used to it, even repair work is often easier and quicker with SMT parts than thru-hole. Just takes some practice.

Seriously, the semiconductor market right now is absolutely bonkers. We're getting notifications on a daily basis of huge lead times, parts being discontinued, last time buy notices, you name it. Atmega processors are a two year lead time right now and still extending. PIC's aren't far behind. Hell, I just got a 4 month lead time for molex crimps.

The power supply idea is well proven via existing daughter-board kits. This design integrates it into the CPU board as opposed to having it as a separate module. There's no concern at all. Good solution to drastically reducing reset issues.

Sound boards for many designs are impossible to make exact duplicates to the originals. The original DAC chips are long obsolete and not available in any reliable quantity, and audio amp chips are also disappearing in rapid succession. One customer at work is on their third major redesign because of audio amps being discontinued.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ilikewires:

but if there is anything that I have learned on Pinside, if you hint at a project, folks want a price and delivery.

Or worse, they take your design and run with it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brand-new-mpu89-board-in-production-has-dc-dc-converter?tu=HHaase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.