Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mamemaster
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5E380A81-D104-4A77-ACEA-13142A0962C9 (resized).jpeg
    A825DF68-465B-4950-B8B4-1FD40C655D4B (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

Setting up my machine on a Friday night and can;t get it running. I am getting a "trough error." I have restarted the machine several times, and loaded the 5 balls both when powered up and when not. All of my switches are returning as green, I assume meaning operational. Any ideas while I wait for support on Monday? Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Does the trough work in test mode?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from trinity9:

Setting up my machine on a Friday night and can;t get it running. I am getting a "trough error." I have restarted the machine several times, and loaded the 5 balls both when powered up and when not. All of my switches are returning as green, I assume meaning operational. Any ideas while I wait for support on Monday? Thanks!

Check the connectors at the trough boards. Something probably came loose in shipping.

#4 5 years ago

Open the door and get into the switch settings. Make sure that the switches are registered . If not start Che king for a loose or disconnected plug .

#5 5 years ago

You guys are great, I really appreciate the speedy response. When you said check for disconnects, I did, even though they were showing "green". Things definitely came loose in shipping, but at the main board. When the game was closed up at the factory, the harness was so tight that the connectors were pulled off at the board. The first part of the harness pulled off the 1-6 trough switches (among other things.) This will definitely happen to someone else becausew the harness can catch so easily. I spent too much time looking only at the optos and connectors at the trough, and should have gone higher. I appreciate the direction.

The only thing I'm missing at this point is the ability to push "down" while in service mode. The down button won't register. I imagine I will have to have them send me a new button assembly. At this point it just means that we have to play the three ball mode instead of the five we are used to, so it's fine. So far the game seems to be amazing, but it's hard to get my wife off of Dialed In.

Again, much appreciated. I thought I had a new machine that I couldn't play all weekend and it was going to suck.

#6 5 years ago

Had this same exact issue with the trough error and you saved me a ton of time troubleshooting. Thanks!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from trinity9:

The only thing I'm missing at this point is the ability to push "down" while in service mode. The down button won't register. I imagine I will have to have them send me a new button assembly.

I presume the other service buttons work. In most menus, you can use "up" to wrap around.

Even so, I'd check for a loose connection somewhere. Look on the button assembly itself, then follow things up from there. It could be something as simple as a pin not fully seated in a connector shell.
    --Ted

#8 5 years ago

Had the same yet minor issue with my POTC. The harness for the 12v power supply cables to the backbox is very tight and in shipping unplugged J201, J202, and J203 which then gives you a trough error on start up. With instant reply support from JJP I simply plugged them in and added a much needed zip tie to the wire set for future and Pirates was Alive! What an Amazing game.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from trinity9:

The only thing I'm missing at this point is the ability to push "down" while in service mode. The down button won't register. I imagine I will have to have them send me a new button assembly.

Please check J602 pin 8 on the I/O board. Yellow wire/blue stripe. Be sure it is plugged in. If so then check continuity from the down button on that wire to the same color wire in J602. You might have a break along the way. Whether you can see it or not.

LTG : )

#10 5 years ago

WORKing on a ball trough error at the moment but found this assortment of screws in the cabinet bottom scattered about.

Any look familiar?

Here is my bolt as well.

Don’t see how many of you find this stuff acceptable.

5E380A81-D104-4A77-ACEA-13142A0962C9 (resized).jpeg5E380A81-D104-4A77-ACEA-13142A0962C9 (resized).jpegA825DF68-465B-4950-B8B4-1FD40C655D4B (resized).jpegA825DF68-465B-4950-B8B4-1FD40C655D4B (resized).jpeg
    #11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

WORKing on a ball trough error at the moment but found this assortment of screws in the cabinet bottom scattered about.

Any look familiar?

Thumb screw for coin mech.

Ball trough error. Please open up backbox and remove metal cover over boards. Go over I/O board - long narrow one - be sure all connectors are on tight. Especially J200, J201, J202.

LTG : )

#12 5 years ago

LTG, is the wire cutting portion of the production line being adjusted to give this set a little more length?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

LTG, is the wire cutting portion of the production line being adjusted to give this set a little more length?

I could be wrong but I think the harness length was correct they simply had to move the zip tie securing this harness so it was not supporting the Mass harness when folded up. I believe the corrected this already.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks LTG. I am looking forward to my CE and love hearing how JJP just keeps improving.

#15 5 years ago

I really like pirates a lot but it seems like almost every owner on here has had problems out of the box; very disappointing and discouraging when the game cost so much; this should not be happening; hopefully JJP steps up their quality control

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

I really like pirates a lot but it seems like almost every owner on here has had problems out of the box; very disappointing and discouraging when the game cost so much; this should not be happening; hopefully JJP steps up their quality control

It sounds like shipping is causing the problem with the cable. It would be difficult to solve such a problem until they have shipped games and discover the problem exists. Early adopters always have more to sort out than people that get games later.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

The handful of people on here are rightfully expressing their concerns. You are not hearing from the other 100(s) that are busy playing their games. Like with all initial runs of anything, tweaks will be made by the manufacturer for issues that have been found. Anyone getting an early run should understand this and for this reason I strongly encourage my customers to wait until a few batches have left the factory before receiving theirs. That said, I have delivered 8 machines now and only one of those is having an issue (which we are taking care of as I speak).

I wish every game came out of the box in perfect working order, but these are hand built machines and I have yet to find someone who is perfect at their job 100% of the time.

Be patient, things get better with every game that is built.

#18 5 years ago

Agreed. I just bought a model 3 and it isnt perfect either.

The difference is in how the company that produces a product responds.

1 year later
    #19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Had the same yet minor issue with my POTC. The harness for the 12v power supply cables to the backbox is very tight and in shipping unplugged J201, J202, and J203 which then gives you a trough error on start up. With instant reply support from JJP I simply plugged them in and added a much needed zip tie to the wire set for future and Pirates was Alive! What an Amazing game.

I know this is an old thread but I just got Guns and Roses. I had the exact same issue - and this thread had me up and running instantly. Just a heads up for anyone else getting a G&R.

Enjoy

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brand-new-jjp-pirates-unpacking-trough-error?hl=willsmuz8999 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.