Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brooklynknight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi All,

I just opened and set up my NIB hobbit black arrow and it booted up 100% and we played a game when i noticed only the GI lights were on and none of the leds where working.

I then decided to reboot and after turning it back on the thing would not boot JJP support assisted to the point where we found if we unplug the large monitor it boots and plays. The minute i turn the monitor on the pin shuts itself down. I played with the monitor off and though it plays the sound sucks and is non existant.

JJP is going to ship me a new monitor next week however i figured it could not hurt to reach out and see if i can further troubleshoot based on any of your suggestions

Again when the monitor is disconnected or turned off the game works. When you feed the monitor power the machine shuts down.

And thoughts?

#2 5 years ago

Sooooo i was playing it (with the monitor disconected) and both times after like 10 to 15 minutes the pin shuts itself down! I took a look and i don't see a single fuse blown??

I called back support however i believe due to the holidays they are not back till tuesday

Any thoughts are appreciated!

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Call your distributor

I did and they are the ones that told me to call JJP directly....
Unfortunately it looks like both places are closed and until tuesday. Its funny as I decided to plug the monitor back in and when it booted I quickly physically turned the monitor off and it booted and we played 1 and a half game so about 35 min into playing it shut down Not sure however looks like I am sitting on this brick until next week

Also I love your show and it is your review of the hobbit that locked me into wanting to play one soo bad. After I got my hands on one I shortly purchased the one I have today. Now if I could just get it to work.....

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Did you check ALL connections in the backbox/cabinet/playfield? Especially the ones going into the computer in the cabinet. Reseat EVERYTHING, including power from the outlet. Sounds like something(s) very important came loose.

Going to do that now!

#9 5 years ago

I unplugged as much as I could and re-seeded it. I left the monitor off and let the pin boot up. Once it was booted I turned the monitor on and for on instance we saw the monitor screen then the pin died Such a sinking feeling....

#12 5 years ago

I only did the back of the PC I did not realize I should reseed every connector. I will take the time to do that later tonight when the family is sleeping

I also hooked up a power and line conditioner to the wall and it still shut down on boot...
I hope its a connector.

#13 5 years ago

I assume it would not hurt anything to swap the ram to the other slot.... may try that too as well as reseeding all connectors...

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

wow - I really feel for the OP. Decided to not save 1000s so he could buy brand new and this is the reward he gets. Sorry to hear but I assure you it will be taken care of by JJP as soon as they are open.
btw - if I was your distributor I would literally be over there trying to fix it myself b/c you did them a favor to buy it from them at that price.

Thanks as it was a real bummer. I reached out to them (the distributor) and they let me know they would send a technician if needed

I am going to get back to troubleshooting tomorrow.

#16 5 years ago

Ok just got up and about to troubleshoot however I just asked my building manager what type of outlet I have and he said they are all 110. I believe this pin is set to 120. WOuld that have an effect and if the answer is yes what could I do to correct it as I am in a large apartment building and have no access to changing current power options.

Just a thought....

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

its probably the 12v led strip in the back box it runs off the same power the pc and monitor does
unplug the backbox led strip connector back left corner of the cabinet and unplug the power to the lcd screen as well
check the vga or hdmi monitor cables as well, I know if both monitors don't boot the sound can play up, no idea why but it does weird things if both monitors don't boot

I just tried to boot by unhooking the mini monitor and led strip and kep the large monitor plugged in. When i turned it on the large monitors red light turned on and then there was a pop and it just down like it has been doing.

I am now slowly unplugging and plugging each connector. We will se what happens after that..

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Navy_AT1:

In my experience a “pop” is never good when dealing with electronics... hopefully you did t let the magic smoke out of some components

the pop I am explaining (at least what JP told me) is normal however its normally 2 pops I believe you hear on boot. I could be wrong however that's what I thought I heard.

#23 5 years ago

Ok so I just spend a good amount of time unplugging and plugging everything back in and we did make a little progress. Normally when I unhook the large monitor it will play however in 14 to 20 min the game shuts down. This time when I unhooked the large monitor I was able to play for about an hour and it never shut down on me!!

THis leaves me still with no monitor and as for the sound its very muffled except during multiball and some modes where the sound boosts up. Most of the time it sounds muffled and static.

When i plugged in the monitor BAM it shuts down after a sec or two of trying to boot up.
Not sure what to try next;( may have to just wait till I get JJP to ship out a new monitor next week!

i would like to thank all those that have given me things to try as each one gives me massive hope that it will work

#24 5 years ago

Alright then....

I turned it on for another go without the monitor on and unfortunately the pin shut itself down 12 min into the game. Just when I thought I was making some ground.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Almost sounds like the processor is overheating on the computer. Is the fan and heatsink secure? I had the mount break on a PC once and the heatsink was no longer being held against the processor.

Good thought I will double check that now.

#27 5 years ago

All looks great from the fan to to CPU. It appears to be on very secure.
I again unplugged and plugged back in everything behind the monitor and in the Machine. I turned the monitor off on boot to try and play again and after about 15min it shut down I am giving up tonight.

I will be on the phone with my distributor Tuesday morning as well as calling JJP to see if when I can expect to see a new monitor as I believe they are shipping it out Tuesday!

THanks again for the assistance.

#28 5 years ago

A question to all you Hobbit owners, I noticed that when you trace the monitor cable (in a silver sheath for me) it splits off into two plugs. One of them in plugged in with the one that shares the LED light and then there is another female pin connector that trails off it. Is there a male pin connector that this should be plugged into?? COuld this be the culprit?? the only thing is I do not see a open male pin connector anywhere.....

Thoughts?

#30 5 years ago

As I mentioned unplug the light strip to the backbox 12v led strip

Ok will disconnect both the monitor and the 12v LED strip in the back box and see if it plays without turning off. WIll let you know shortly.

#31 5 years ago

As I mentioned unplug the light strip to the backbox 12v led strip

Ok, I believe we are getting somewhere as when I physically unplugged both the monitor and the LED strip me and the family played about an hour and 15 min on it and it never shut itself down! THe only problem that did not go away was that the sound itself was a bit messed up. You could barely hear it and then on multiball it would come back in full force??!!

So if disconnecting both the LED strip and monitor allows me to keep the game running does this give us any ideas on what is the issue. COuld it just be a bad driver board?

Any thoughts..
I normally hat wishing a tuesday come quick, however I cant wait to get this game 100% operational and I am hoping that JJP and\or my distributor can assist in making that happen asap

#32 5 years ago

I just turned it on to play again and I was again able to successfully play for 35 to 40 min without it booting down!
All that's left is understanding why it cant seem to handle those to power sources and if we are able to correct it will the sound fix itself.

As an optimist I will say that the goo that came out of this is that this forced me to really understand the underworkings of this particular pin

#33 5 years ago

Ok so this is real interesting, I was told that I should only unplug the LED strip in the backbox and not the monitor. WHen I did this it actually fricken booted to the game with the large screen intact. I was then able to go in and make a few changes in the options including the time and then after about 15min it powered down on me!!!

Soooooo close!!!
damn I thought it was a homerun. Hmmmm well back to the drawing board

#34 5 years ago

I just cant figure out why it allowed me to boot off the large screen after only unplugging the LED strip for it to then cut power 15 min into it. None of the fuses blew, I wonder if it may have something to do with the two switches that determine if the door is open of not. WHen I received it the bottom switch had one connector that was not on. When I first booted it up it thought the door was open. I ended up sliding the contact back onto the metal leaf. THere are two options I could have put it on, should I move it to the other metal leaf?

I feel as though I am sooooo close yet so far away from a fix

#35 5 years ago

Just when you think you made progress. I had disconnected both the monitor and the led strip and I just went to play a game after my third game the pin shut down in the middle of a game. Talk about feeling like I brought a lemon

I sooo wanted it to work this weekend however that is not going to happen. I am tired and defeated

#38 5 years ago

Thanks again for everyone's assistance and yes thought i did get frustrated i do realize JJP have superb customer service and will assist in getting my pin up and running

I was just hoping i was going to nail it before labor day ended

I will keep you all posted on any and all progress made this week.

#41 5 years ago

Also try unplugging shaker motor?

Will try that now!

#42 5 years ago

Also try unplugging shaker motor?

That did not work!

#43 5 years ago

Looking forward to calling JJP today to see if we can get this bad boy working again!

#49 5 years ago

My apologies as i had just moved from suburbia back to NYC and was just getting settled and the kids situated into there respected schools! My intent is to never abandon or leave anyone hanging as i know the feeling myself...

Ok so here is where we stand. JJP sent a new monitor and led strip last night. I installed the new monitor and it booted with video after 15 min the pin shut down i am now back to speaking to frank (great guy) at JJP to discuss next steps.

I promise i will do a better job ant keeping you all up to date on what happens!

#50 5 years ago

Forgot to mention that i left the LED strip unplugged when i first installed the monitor. The pin shut down before i could replace the LED strip and plug it back in...

#51 5 years ago

I also wanted to mention that Frank at JJP sent me a line filter that he said would fix the hissing sound I was experiencing with sound. I unplugged the monitor power (as well as keeping the LED strip power disconnected) and quickly installed it. It booted up with all video going to the small monitor, however BAM the sound was fixed 100%. It was soooo nice to hear the crisp call outs and I also tested the using the headsets and those worked like a champ too!

If we can just get this thing to boot with video we will be solid I plan to call JJP at around 11am today and will let you all know how it works out.

#52 5 years ago

I just got off a solid troubleshooting call with JJP (Frank) and they are going to dispatch a technician, however it looks as thought that will not be until next week so I asked if wee could try some more things over the weekend.

One thought is for me to power it up with just the monitor on and reset the Motherboard by jumping pins 8 and 6 on JFP01 If that does not work try it again without the monitor connected.

As mentioned if I keep the LED and Monitor unplugged the game plays?!@#$
Frank at JJP is going to keep thinking about other possible things to try as well as solidify an exact day\time that a technician can be dispatched.

Honestly, to keep things positive the support I have been getting both here and especially at JJP has been fantastic and continues to give me the hope that this will be corrected I also have an appreciation that I am know very comfortable and familiar with the machine itself. It also forced me to learn and get out of my comfort zone. It's my belief that this is a rare one off and just look foward to getting it resolved so I can get to into the fire and actually understand what I am supposed to do

I get off of work at 5pm and plan to try the reset around 5:30pm!!! I will keep you all posted.

#53 5 years ago

Well I have some damn good news this Saturday morning..... I played my first few games of the Hobbit with the large monitor displaying video!!!!
So far so good as i have been playing for a few hours and it has not booted itself down. I have not plugged the back box LED strip power back in as I am too nervous to do that at this time

What I did is I unplugged the Pin and let it sit over night (too tired Friday to do anything) I then plugged the monitor in and booted up. It shut down as normal and decided to try and reset the Motherboard by jumping JPF1. Nothing happened so I decided to reboot the pin with both the LED strip and monitor power disconnected. As normal it booted up and once on I then again decided to reset the mother board. This time it reset but locked the pin up as the LED's stop flashing and they were locked into place and the mini screen was black. Once booted again I jumped the pins to reset the motherboard and this time it worked. The game stayed on however the software rebooted itself.

From here I decided to plug in the power to the monitor while the pin was on and after the motherboard reset. When I plugged it in I got no video however the pin did not shutdown as it had in the past. This got me thinking to do yet another motherboard reset with the monitor plugged in.

I again jumped the pins and the motherboard reset. This time the large screen displayed no signal! I shut down the pin and after turning it back on the video on the large screen was displaying in all its GLORY!! Honestly I think I felt myself holding back a very small tear until I realized it was sweat!!!!

All jokes aside the only thing left is getting the LED strip working and a few other things tweaked. I will let you know if anything changes however I believe this is resolved. I am going to play the crap out of it today!

Thanks again for all the assistance!

#54 5 years ago

Ok posted too soon it actually just shut down and I can now confirm that those are no longer streams of sweat coming from my eyes it is full blown tears;(
Back to the drawing board!!!

#55 5 years ago

I decided to follow the same thing I did with the jumping of the pins and its running again. Very unstable however at least I can get a couple of game in.... JJP is dispatching a tech next week

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Does the motherboard have a discrete video card or onboard video? If discrete, have you reseated the card?
Does the pin reset if you leave it running in attract mode or only when you're playing it?

Taking the old dog for a walk but will take a look when I get back in...
Thus far if it does shutdown it has been a combo of playing and one time it dropped just as we were about to hit the start button...

Here is the odd part, I played this morning after the hard motherboard reset and then turned it off. I came back to it 2 hours later and it booted just fine????

More to come!

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Thanks for the update. You know more about Jjp electronics than most of us now

Too funny, however this has gotten me more than comfortable and prepared for my next pin (Pirates or WOZ) cant decide!

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

Taking the old dog for a walk but will take a look when I get back in...
Thus far if it does shutdown it has been a combo of playing and one time it dropped just as we were about to hit the start button...
Here is the odd part, I played this morning after the hard motherboard reset and then turned it off. I came back to it 2 hours later and it booted just fine????
More to come!

Looks to be direct!
Here is the odd thing, I played my last game last night and turned the pin off I unplugged it from the wall and when I woke up I was able to boot into it!
It just does not make sense...

On a side note, when there is any low pitch sound that comes through the speakers (Smaug Speech) my left side rail sounds like it is vibrating. It does not appear to be loose. Any one have familiarity with that?

#61 5 years ago

Ok soooo sunday night after rocking it and almost getting to the end of into the fire, when turning it back on it died again! I went throught the process of getting the motherboard rebooted and I am good again for now.....

JJP has now sent me another new monitor, a Motherboard and a Power supply to replace. They also are sending a tech that will arrive around 10am this saturday. I will let you all know how it goes!!!!

What an adventure!

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Boy you are a patient person! Anyway, it sounds like it has to be a MB or power supply issue. Maybe a bad CPU and it's overheating and shutting down...Hard to say with out swapping out parts and trying...Which you will soon be doing. Good luck with this. Hope you get things going sooner rather then later.

Thanks my man! Honestly in my opinion I have learned that getting angry and throwing a tantrum just ends up affecting my life more than the people it's directed at However if this does not work I will be asking them to replace the entire machine That's my phase two approach.

I can not state how great their support team has been as they have taken all my calls and spent a good amount of time brainstorming with me on how to correct it. Frank specifically has be fantastic!!

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Your problems fortunately are not normal.
But somewhat well known in the computer world.
Definitely looks like a power related problem on the power supply or PC.
Or a power draw problem from the LED strip.
But I think it's the power supply.
I'm certain it will be fixed perfectly without replacing the entire game.

I agree with you, as my money is on the power supply too. I just figured its always good to have a phase 2... something I learned by watching a lot of movies

#68 5 years ago

So far so good, however only time will tell

We first replaced the monitor and the LED strip in the backbox and made sure it powered up. Once done we replaced the Power supply and again powered it up to make sure it worked. Finally we replaced the mother board and then fired it up and played a few. It has not booted down yet and I have played it for a few hours as well as turned it off and on a few times between sessions. If it lasts the next 48 hours without shutting down I will consider it resolved.

The challenge is we were not able to pin point it and just basically replaced all key components. I will check in with you all Tuesday morning to let you know if it was a true success.

Thank you all for the assistance!

#70 5 years ago

Yea so far so great! It has been a long journey!

#72 5 years ago

Ok so far so good as I came home and played a few solid games! This just may be it!!!!!!

#74 5 years ago

It is now Tuesday and again working like a champ.... could i go all the way and make it an entire 7 days of no issues

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm putting my $$$ on yes!

Well you would be 100 percent right!!!
Its been exactly a week and i have had zero issues. I consider it fixed!!!!

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Hell Yeah!!! Much respect for your patience. I envy that quality. So inquiring minds want to know, how are you liking the experience of The Hobbit?

I love this pin! I know it takes heat, however everytime we play (my sons and I) we find that there is plenty to do, especially in the shots you have to make to progress in modes. Just trying to get to the 2nd wizard mode has been a solid challenge! Forget about the 2nd wizard mode how about just trying to kill smaug or even better trying to to actually beat into the fire

I am sure it will wear off a bit but damn both watching and playing into the fire is a real treat and gets my heart racing. I also love when i actually hit the left or right hole to start the mode!! Not sure why but there are times its a nail biter to land that shot. When i do i catch myself cheering or screaming f' yea you mutha trucker!!!

All good stuff and a keeper for me for some time to come.

I just hope i enjoy starwars Premium as that arrives this week. My first hope is that there is nothing wrong with it out of the box

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Good choice, despite the initial barren appearance of the latest Star Wars title by Stern, the game is really fun to play. This game will be a vastly different play experience from the Hobbit as it plays extremely fast and will severely punish missed shots.

If you can believe it I got it today and I had the oddest issue
(I posted this under star wars club too)

At random times as I can not always get it to do it, as your playing (mode or no mode) all of the sudden the game will go into mission selection mode! It goes into the selection mode as the game is playing, meaning that the flippers are being used to select a mission as the ball is flying around the play field.

I hope this makes sense, as in summary at random times the game will go into a mission selection mode, however I did nothing to initiate it, it just goes into the mode mid game play and the flippers die and are used to select a mission while the ball is in play. When it drains it re-launches and it does it again, it then drains ball and relaunches a 2nd time and then it stops and allows me to play through.

The code is 1.03 and tomorrow I am going to 1.05. When I reboot it, this sometimes works but if I play long enough it happens.
any thoughts.

On a side not I love this F'ing game!!!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brooklynknight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brand-new-hobbit-video-issues-assistance-needed?tu=brooklynknight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.