New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 224430)

Brand New Hobbit Video issues! Assistance needed

By brooklynknight

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hi All,

I just opened and set up my NIB hobbit black arrow and it booted up 100% and we played a game when i noticed only the GI lights were on and none of the leds where working.

I then decided to reboot and after turning it back on the thing would not boot JJP support assisted to the point where we found if we unplug the large monitor it boots and plays. The minute i turn the monitor on the pin shuts itself down. I played with the monitor off and though it plays the sound sucks and is non existant.

JJP is going to ship me a new monitor next week however i figured it could not hurt to reach out and see if i can further troubleshoot based on any of your suggestions

Again when the monitor is disconnected or turned off the game works. When you feed the monitor power the machine shuts down.

And thoughts?

#2 2 years ago

Sooooo i was playing it (with the monitor disconected) and both times after like 10 to 15 minutes the pin shuts itself down! I took a look and i don't see a single fuse blown??

I called back support however i believe due to the holidays they are not back till tuesday

Any thoughts are appreciated!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Call your distributor

I did and they are the ones that told me to call JJP directly....
Unfortunately it looks like both places are closed and until tuesday. Its funny as I decided to plug the monitor back in and when it booted I quickly physically turned the monitor off and it booted and we played 1 and a half game so about 35 min into playing it shut down Not sure however looks like I am sitting on this brick until next week

Also I love your show and it is your review of the hobbit that locked me into wanting to play one soo bad. After I got my hands on one I shortly purchased the one I have today. Now if I could just get it to work.....

#5 2 years ago

Did you check ALL connections in the backbox/cabinet/playfield? Especially the ones going into the computer in the cabinet. Reseat EVERYTHING, including power from the outlet. Sounds like something(s) very important came loose.

#6 2 years ago

Reseat ALL of the connections on the back of the computer one at a time by unplugging them and then plugging them back in. It also may not be a bad idea to open the computer case and reseat the memory chips as well.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Did you check ALL connections in the backbox/cabinet/playfield? Especially the ones going into the computer in the cabinet. Reseat EVERYTHING, including power from the outlet. Sounds like something(s) very important came loose.

Going to do that now!

#8 2 years ago

Maybe try plugging it into a different outlet on a different circuit? Maybe the power is wonky at the outlet?

#9 2 years ago

I unplugged as much as I could and re-seeded it. I left the monitor off and let the pin boot up. Once it was booted I turned the monitor on and for on instance we saw the monitor screen then the pin died Such a sinking feeling....

#10 2 years ago

wow - I really feel for the OP. Decided to not save 1000s so he could buy brand new and this is the reward he gets. Sorry to hear but I assure you it will be taken care of by JJP as soon as they are open.

btw - if I was your distributor I would literally be over there trying to fix it myself b/c you did them a favor to buy it from them at that price.

#11 2 years ago

It would take me a lot longer than 17 minutes to unplug and reseat everything. It would take me an hour to do it right and meticulously.

#12 2 years ago

I only did the back of the PC I did not realize I should reseed every connector. I will take the time to do that later tonight when the family is sleeping

I also hooked up a power and line conditioner to the wall and it still shut down on boot...
I hope its a connector.

#13 2 years ago

I assume it would not hurt anything to swap the ram to the other slot.... may try that too as well as reseeding all connectors...

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

I assume it would not hurt anything to swap the ram to the other slot.... may try that too as well as reseeding all connectors...

Don't put seeds in your connectors, they will just keep them from seating properly.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

wow - I really feel for the OP. Decided to not save 1000s so he could buy brand new and this is the reward he gets. Sorry to hear but I assure you it will be taken care of by JJP as soon as they are open.
btw - if I was your distributor I would literally be over there trying to fix it myself b/c you did them a favor to buy it from them at that price.

Thanks as it was a real bummer. I reached out to them (the distributor) and they let me know they would send a technician if needed

I am going to get back to troubleshooting tomorrow.

#16 2 years ago

Ok just got up and about to troubleshoot however I just asked my building manager what type of outlet I have and he said they are all 110. I believe this pin is set to 120. WOuld that have an effect and if the answer is yes what could I do to correct it as I am in a large apartment building and have no access to changing current power options.

Just a thought....

#17 2 years ago

its probably the 12v led strip in the back box it runs off the same power the pc and monitor does

unplug the backbox led strip connector back left corner of the cabinet and unplug the power to the lcd screen as well

check the vga or hdmi monitor cables as well, I know if both monitors don't boot the sound can play up, no idea why but it does weird things if both monitors don't boot

#18 2 years ago

Ok just got up and about to troubleshoot however I just asked my building manager what type of outlet I have and he said they are all 110. I believe this pin is set to 120. WOuld that have an effect and if the answer is yes what could I do to correct it as I am in a large apartment building and have no access to changing current power options.
Just a thought....

no that's not it

#19 2 years ago

Thanks as it was a real bummer. I reached out to them (the distributor) and they let me know they would send a technician if needed
I am going to get back to troubleshooting tomorrow.

I would take that offer. You deserve it.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

its probably the 12v led strip in the back box it runs off the same power the pc and monitor does
unplug the backbox led strip connector back left corner of the cabinet and unplug the power to the lcd screen as well
check the vga or hdmi monitor cables as well, I know if both monitors don't boot the sound can play up, no idea why but it does weird things if both monitors don't boot

I just tried to boot by unhooking the mini monitor and led strip and kep the large monitor plugged in. When i turned it on the large monitors red light turned on and then there was a pop and it just down like it has been doing.

I am now slowly unplugging and plugging each connector. We will se what happens after that..

#21 2 years ago

In my experience a “pop” is never good when dealing with electronics... hopefully you did t let the magic smoke out of some components

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Navy_AT1:

In my experience a “pop” is never good when dealing with electronics... hopefully you did t let the magic smoke out of some components

the pop I am explaining (at least what JP told me) is normal however its normally 2 pops I believe you hear on boot. I could be wrong however that's what I thought I heard.

#23 2 years ago

Ok so I just spend a good amount of time unplugging and plugging everything back in and we did make a little progress. Normally when I unhook the large monitor it will play however in 14 to 20 min the game shuts down. This time when I unhooked the large monitor I was able to play for about an hour and it never shut down on me!!

THis leaves me still with no monitor and as for the sound its very muffled except during multiball and some modes where the sound boosts up. Most of the time it sounds muffled and static.

When i plugged in the monitor BAM it shuts down after a sec or two of trying to boot up.
Not sure what to try next;( may have to just wait till I get JJP to ship out a new monitor next week!

i would like to thank all those that have given me things to try as each one gives me massive hope that it will work

#24 2 years ago

Alright then....

I turned it on for another go without the monitor on and unfortunately the pin shut itself down 12 min into the game. Just when I thought I was making some ground.

#25 2 years ago

Almost sounds like the processor is overheating on the computer. Is the fan and heatsink secure? I had the mount break on a PC once and the heatsink was no longer being held against the processor.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Almost sounds like the processor is overheating on the computer. Is the fan and heatsink secure? I had the mount break on a PC once and the heatsink was no longer being held against the processor.

Good thought I will double check that now.

#27 2 years ago

All looks great from the fan to to CPU. It appears to be on very secure.
I again unplugged and plugged back in everything behind the monitor and in the Machine. I turned the monitor off on boot to try and play again and after about 15min it shut down I am giving up tonight.

I will be on the phone with my distributor Tuesday morning as well as calling JJP to see if when I can expect to see a new monitor as I believe they are shipping it out Tuesday!

THanks again for the assistance.

#28 2 years ago

A question to all you Hobbit owners, I noticed that when you trace the monitor cable (in a silver sheath for me) it splits off into two plugs. One of them in plugged in with the one that shares the LED light and then there is another female pin connector that trails off it. Is there a male pin connector that this should be plugged into?? COuld this be the culprit?? the only thing is I do not see a open male pin connector anywhere.....

Thoughts?

#29 2 years ago

As I mentioned unplug the light strip to the backbox 12v led strip

#30 2 years ago

Ok will disconnect both the monitor and the 12v LED strip in the back box and see if it plays without turning off. WIll let you know shortly.

#31 2 years ago

Ok, I believe we are getting somewhere as when I physically unplugged both the monitor and the LED strip me and the family played about an hour and 15 min on it and it never shut itself down! THe only problem that did not go away was that the sound itself was a bit messed up. You could barely hear it and then on multiball it would come back in full force??!!

So if disconnecting both the LED strip and monitor allows me to keep the game running does this give us any ideas on what is the issue. COuld it just be a bad driver board?

Any thoughts..
I normally hat wishing a tuesday come quick, however I cant wait to get this game 100% operational and I am hoping that JJP and\or my distributor can assist in making that happen asap

#32 2 years ago

I just turned it on to play again and I was again able to successfully play for 35 to 40 min without it booting down!
All that's left is understanding why it cant seem to handle those to power sources and if we are able to correct it will the sound fix itself.

As an optimist I will say that the goo that came out of this is that this forced me to really understand the underworkings of this particular pin

#33 2 years ago

Ok so this is real interesting, I was told that I should only unplug the LED strip in the backbox and not the monitor. WHen I did this it actually fricken booted to the game with the large screen intact. I was then able to go in and make a few changes in the options including the time and then after about 15min it powered down on me!!!

Soooooo close!!!
damn I thought it was a homerun. Hmmmm well back to the drawing board

#34 2 years ago

I just cant figure out why it allowed me to boot off the large screen after only unplugging the LED strip for it to then cut power 15 min into it. None of the fuses blew, I wonder if it may have something to do with the two switches that determine if the door is open of not. WHen I received it the bottom switch had one connector that was not on. When I first booted it up it thought the door was open. I ended up sliding the contact back onto the metal leaf. THere are two options I could have put it on, should I move it to the other metal leaf?

I feel as though I am sooooo close yet so far away from a fix

#35 2 years ago

Just when you think you made progress. I had disconnected both the monitor and the led strip and I just went to play a game after my third game the pin shut down in the middle of a game. Talk about feeling like I brought a lemon

I sooo wanted it to work this weekend however that is not going to happen. I am tired and defeated

#36 2 years ago

Take a deep breath, obviously something went very wrong during shipping. JJP will take care of it and you're so close you may get a housecall. Ether way, they will take care of you.

#37 2 years ago

Just when you think you made progress. I had disconnected both the monitor and the led strip and I just went to play a game after my third game the pin shut down in the middle of a game. Talk about feeling like I brought a lemon
I sooo wanted it to work this weekend however that is not going to happen. I am tired and defeated

It’s absolutely frustrating I can’t imagine, but this is not the norm. You will be taken care of man, I’ve been wondering about ya all weekend. You will have a working Hobbit soon. Keep us updated

#38 2 years ago

Thanks again for everyone's assistance and yes thought i did get frustrated i do realize JJP have superb customer service and will assist in getting my pin up and running

I was just hoping i was going to nail it before labor day ended

I will keep you all posted on any and all progress made this week.

#39 2 years ago

Seems like a 12v power supply problem

#40 2 years ago

Also try unplugging shaker motor?

#41 2 years ago

Will try that now!

#42 2 years ago

That did not work!

#43 2 years ago

Looking forward to calling JJP today to see if we can get this bad boy working again!

#44 2 years ago

What was the outcome? I'm on pins and needles!

#45 2 years ago

Seriously, don't leave us hanging!

#46 2 years ago

so many posts then nothing

#47 2 years ago

Why do people always abandon threads and not close them if they are fixed?

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Why do people always abandon threads and not close them if they are fixed?

I would cut him some slack, it's his only pin and he's likely busy playing his new Hobbit machine

#49 2 years ago

My apologies as i had just moved from suburbia back to NYC and was just getting settled and the kids situated into there respected schools! My intent is to never abandon or leave anyone hanging as i know the feeling myself...

Ok so here is where we stand. JJP sent a new monitor and led strip last night. I installed the new monitor and it booted with video after 15 min the pin shut down i am now back to speaking to frank (great guy) at JJP to discuss next steps.

I promise i will do a better job ant keeping you all up to date on what happens!

#50 2 years ago

Forgot to mention that i left the LED strip unplugged when i first installed the monitor. The pin shut down before i could replace the LED strip and plug it back in...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside