Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gearheaddropping
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20140824_171129.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hello,

I just installed a brand new replacement AS-2518-18 rectifier board into my Bally Eight Ball. The previous board semi-worked but everything was pretty worn.

Anyhow, I have double checked the solder joints and placements and upon startup of the game, the F1 fuse immediately blows. Again, this was not occurring with the old board, so something is up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Hello,
I just installed a brand new replacement AS-2518-18 rectifier board into my Bally Eight Ball. The previous board semi-worked but everything was pretty worn.
Anyhow, I have double checked the solder joints and placements and upon startup of the game, the F1 fuse immediately blows. Again, this was not occurring with the old board, so something is up.
Any ideas?
Thanks

F1 is for the controlled feature lamps. Replace the fuse, then remove the output connectors J1 and J3 from the new board and power up, I expect the fuse will probably not blow. This would likely indicate a PF wiring problem, such as a shorting lamp socket.

#3 5 years ago

A LOT of times the little spring in a lamp socket will break off and short the socket.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A LOT of times the little spring in a lamp socket will break off and short the socket.

On the GI, that pops the fuse, but with feature lamps, you just kill the scr (sometimes violently). I have done that more than once.

I would lean more towards a bridge rectifier installed wrong, bridge shorted, or xformer wire hooked up wrong.

Test the bridge rectifier with your dmm. That is painless ez first step.

#5 5 years ago

Out of curiosity, what brand? My neighbor and i both replaced them (mine was on a nitro ground shaker) and had issues. Turned out to be a bad varistor on the board from the manufacturer. They sent us new varistors. A quick solder job and they were up and running.

#6 5 years ago

Its the one from the following auction: ebay.com link » New Power Supply Rectifier Board For Bally As 2518 18 Stern Ta 100

The old board was not doing this when I did the swap so nothing changed on the playfield.

The seller is working with me. He seems very responsive. I will let you know what it is. I am going to double-check all of my wiring tonight per his request. Also testing the bridge.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

#7 5 years ago

Bad Varistors? Bizarre. Gotta ask - what was wrong with them?

Regarding the original poster's problem - first thing I would check is to make sure none of the wires to the "E" points were swapped. And no solder bridge/stray wire strands on bottom.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Bad Varistors? Bizarre. Gotta ask - what was wrong with them?
Regarding the original poster's problem - first thing I would check is to make sure none of the wires to the "E" points were swapped. And no solder bridge/stray wire strands on bottom.

There has been a few posts about bad varistors from a repro board seller. The posts i have read, make it sound like it is just a dead short across the leads. Instant blowing of the solenoid fuse, no visual defect or wrong marking on the varistor.

#9 5 years ago

Correct. I think it was actually the wrong varistor to begin with but not sure. My buddy did his machine first and was chasing the problem for days. When i did mine and had the same failure it made the board suspect. Sure enough, contacting the manufacturer verified the issue. Quick fix once you know the problem.

20140824_171129.jpg
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

I think it was actually the wrong varistor to begin with but not sure

Yeah, a 35V part on a 49V circuit is probably not the best component choice, lol.

#11 5 years ago

That's an Epcos MOV rated at 45VDC or 35VRMS with a 10% tolerance. Yep, that can be a problem and would definitely fall into the 'oops' category.
Not really a "bad varistor" problem but more of a "wrong varistor" problem.

#12 5 years ago

I want to report back on this. One of my connectors was wired wrong and one pin off.

This was an oversight on my part.

Don, the guy that sells these boards on eBay, was extremely patient and helpful with me. I would recommend him.

Everything is now working as expected.

Tom

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 22.50
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside