IMG_3996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240328_211148666_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240328_211151343_HDR (resized).jpg
closeup-ic-polarity (resized).jpg
PXL_20240328_000548967 (resized).jpg
17115827208782280267193227941655 (resized).jpg
20240314_090413 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

35 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #15 Coin reject image Posted by tomdotcom (11 years ago)

Post #16 Strategy Posted by tomdotcom (11 years ago)

Post #37 Easter Eggs Posted by pinster68 (11 years ago)

Post #78 Easter Egg - SUN (High Score) Posted by DeathHimself (11 years ago)

Post #124 Moon - Green Lit Insert - Diverter is Active Posted by Rum-Z (11 years ago)

Post #145 Castle Lock Ramp Adjustment Posted by Doot77 (11 years ago)

Post #158 PAPA video tutorial Posted by DeathHimself (11 years ago)

Post #266 Prototype Slingshot Plastics - Hex installed (Photos) Posted by GRB1959 (11 years ago)

Post #306 Left side Castle plastic - For Sale Posted by GRB1959 (11 years ago)

Post #378 BSD backbox LED chart Posted by MrBellMan (10 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8963 2 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

It looks like my board has no battery holders? Yet my scores and settings are saved. What am I missing here?
[quoted image]

Two things.

1. Your board has a RAMTRON FM1608. This is FRAM (NVRAM).
  2. Your board is a TwoBits board. Be careful when using external SEMS screws at the bottom that the solder mask is NOT removed exposing the copper trace underneath. If this happens you will short the +5V rail to GND.

two_bits.jpgtwo_bits.jpg

3 weeks later
#9047 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

The problem with my BSD I described above all appeared suddenly after a minor repair to a board. I couldn’t figure out why several things would suddenly go wrong. I went back to the board and found the cause. I love when the solution is easy.

It is important that people reading this post in the future looking for potential solutions to problems do not get misinformed.

If the implication in your image is that you inserted the connectors for J133, J134 and J135 incorrectly then that is NOT the cause for your problem. These three headers are electrically identical (you can use any of them for any connector).

wpc89_J133-J135.jpgwpc89_J133-J135.jpg

If your problem disappeared then you must have done something else without realizing it because swapping those connectors will not make a difference.

#9051 2 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

Hold on a second. It is entirely possible that moving the connector toto another header fixed the problem. Over the decades, these pins get less bouncy and the headers get hotter due to increased resistance across the pin and header. As the header gets hotter, it causes more heat and more resistace. It is possible that the connection had so much resistance, the voltage dropped enough to cause the problem/. Also, one of the pins on the original header may have had a cracked solder joint.

I can't say for sure if this particular board has these problems but I like to play the odds game (I play it for almost everything in life because the universe - specifically physics - is just an odds game). I have seen a LOT of WPC-89 power boards and I have NEVER seen any problems with the lamp rows. This circuit just does not generate heat. Odds are low that this is the cause of the problem. It's often the general illumination (GI = J115/J120/J121) that generates a lot of heat resulting in burned headers and/or connectors and/or cracked solder joints. I'm not saying that this is not what happened here. I have no evidence to refute it. Just odds and experience.

Quoted from Pinkitten:

I am tempted to switch them back as a test to see if the problems return, but it’s working 100% and I don’t want to tempt fate. Either way, it’s been error-free for a couple days since reseating the connectors and switching J134 and J135 back. I can’t explain it, but I’ll take it.

That's a true scientific experiment. Results that can be reproduced. The problem with headers and connectors is that if you try to do this you don't always get a true scientific result. This is because the connection is not 100% identical when you insert the connector onto the header. This is why when people complain about WPC resets attempting to re-seat J101 and/or J114 and/or J210 will result in the resets going away. Same deal with ribbon cables. Often people complain their DMD is "scrambled" and re-seating the ribbon cable fixes it.

If you want to know you should describe what the original problem was so that an analysis can be made.

3 months later
#9266 1 year ago
Quoted from LeeChaolan:

Could my machine be down a ball or does it sound like opto alignment/board issues?

Great advice from @Thor-NL.

I went to service a BSD the other week. The owner didn't know what Mist Multiball was and had never seen it despite owning the machine for quite some time. Switch 82 did not change state when the optical beam was interrupted. Went straight to the 24-opto board. The electrolytic capacitors had leaked and spewed their guts all over the board. Can be repaired but not cost effective to repair. So I built him one of my reproduction boards (new board) and everything is working for him.

It can be the opto pair or the 24-opto board. Inspect the 24-opto board. Electrolytic capacitor leaks are VERY common on this board. Almost every original 24-opto in a BSD I have seen has one or both electrolytic capacitors that have leaked. If you are unsure post pictures of the board.

#9269 1 year ago
Quoted from LeeChaolan:

So the plot thickens. I pulled up the playfield to get pics of the board and there was an old opto board in the bottom of the cabinet in a bag. Its totally warped and no doubt bad and was replaced. I attached a picture of it for reference. The one installed is what looks like a brand new one from home pin.com. It looks to be in pretty good shape as least as far as a novice can tell.

That's what the original 24-opto board should look like. Electrolytic capacitor guts spewed on the board and components.

You can assume the Homepin board is good but if you have questions about it you should read the documentation that came with it. Failing that you should contact the manufacturer (Homepin) or the merchant that it was purchased from for support. That board is not the original circuit used by Williams and has a potentiometer for adjustment of something.

If you want to assume the board is good then verify the opto pair. If you have spares of the transmitter and receiver boards you can verify they are good by using them in an ordinary opto pair and running the switch tests. Then you can swap those now proven good transmitter and receivers to the long opto pair (switch 82) and that should work. You can also just take out a known good and swap that into switch 82 for a quick differential diagnosis. Brand new opto pairs are likely to be good (you assume this) but you should really prove they are good. Otherwise you still have two variables (opto pair or board) and you haven't differentiated between the two.

It should be either:

• the opto pair
  • the 24-opto board

Of course, it could be something else but those are the two most likely things with the highest odds of return to look at.

#9271 1 year ago
Quoted from LeeChaolan:

I ran a switch test with everything back in to see and The Ball on Magnet T3 82 Opto is flashing between open and closed rapidly. If I put my hand in font of the beam it stops.

That sounds like a board problem. Might be an adjustment on the board (that potentiometer). Mess with that at your own risk as I don't know the electronics on that board. It could also be that the opto pair is failing and the electronics manifest the failure in this manner.

To be sure going forward you must differentiate between the opto pair (both transmitter and receiver must be working) and the board. The switch test doesn't definitively differentiate between them.

Without definitive differentiation between the opto pair and the board you have reached the limit of my ability to help you on this.

1 month later
#9455 1 year ago

If the hold winding is not energized (does not work) then if you hold the cabinet flipper button in the flipper will "chatter". The power winding will energize and the EOS switch will close. The software will either de-energize the power winding after a set amount of time or when the EOS switch closes. Without the hold winding the flipper bat will return to rest (the spring) and this will cause the EOS switch to open. The software sees the cabinet flipper button is still pressed but the EOS switch is open and will then re-energize the power winding. This results in "chatter" or a "chimp flipping" effect.

The software will NOT continually energize the power winding. This will cause the fuse to blow. It will NOT pulse the solenoid like the Deger or Stern system. I have not looked at the actual software (code) so I cannot say for certain that it responds to the EOS switch state. I suspect the software would de-energize the power winding when the EOS switch closes. The heat is coming from the power winding not the hold winding. If you want to be sure measure the resistance of the windings. For FL-15411 the power winding should be in the 4 Ohm range and the hold winding probably in the 100-150 Ohm range.

1 year later
#11003 84 days ago
Quoted from Cariba:

I am trying to understand the various lights on/in the coffin

00_bsd_lamp_matrix.jpg00_bsd_lamp_matrix.jpg01_bsd_solenoid_flasher.jpg01_bsd_solenoid_flasher.jpg

#11005 84 days ago

The manual almost always has the answer.

bsd_lamp_locations.jpgbsd_lamp_locations.jpg

They're just lamps. There are dedicated lamps for lock counts.

#11010 83 days ago
Quoted from Cariba:

there are still the two flashers, on on each side, that that manual page is not referring.

Sure. There are other pages in the manual. Every machine owner should actually read their manual. I know, real men don't read manuals. I would guess that > 80% of the questions asked on this forum (not just this thread) can be answered by reading the manual.

bsd_solenoid_flasher.jpgbsd_solenoid_flasher.jpg

Quoted from Cariba:

Yes lamps 21 and 22 are for ball lock - but those are other ones we were not originally discussing.

Quoted from DeathHimself:

Shit I have no clue now, I though they light for each coffin ball that is locked lol.

I highlighted the lock lamps to address the quoted text above.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bram-stokers-dracula-clubmembers-only?tu=DumbAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.