Topic Stats

• 7,074 posts
  • 582 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by PinballWizard666
  • Topic is favorited by 226 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,164 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

448746-i (resized).jpg
20191201_152342 (resized).jpg
60CB2AC9-FB91-4FF5-BF21-2F0FDEA4EF08 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
3FCBDE80-5B20-4A0E-83E1-7E2F656F7D3D (resized).jpeg
07EB1F94-8220-49F1-827C-7D4F7055A033 (resized).png
45b57485-6e3c-43a4-a4a3-99d7e1b9310b.jpg
IMG_1184 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0426 (resized).JPEG
6A1B4B38-F3E8-4A39-A314-3CC6AB7CA6B2 (resized).jpeg
BB8D3338-DC72-453A-88D0-B443CEA784A8 (resized).jpeg
FB7F8BCC-4D6E-429B-8902-8E0640006127 (resized).jpeg
C3CC27C2-5CC4-4CA2-8E5F-A22E8855EBB5 (resized).jpeg
88F4B865-9ABC-4878-A4AB-1AF4A23A2738 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

31 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7074 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 142.
#2601 4 years ago

Ok, so after some tweaking I am finally playing this lovely pinball and would like to share my thoughts.

I am from Italy and this is the second pinball I own (first in a long time). I have never played pinball a lot, only occasionally. But recently developed an interest in it.

Initially the pin was not correctly leveled - an awful experience, also considering Dracula is already very hard itself. After leveling, the experience improved a lot. My record is just above 1 billion (3 balls, default settings, short lightning flippers), but I have to say that the game is very often very frustrating - sometimes an entire game last less than a minute, with all 3 balls draining almost immediately and the score like 15 millions.

I noticed that when I play with great attention and effort, the performance immediately improves a lot. But if I play casually, hoping for some luck, this pin punishes you immediately - brutally and fast. Even starting lots of games in a row without the proper calm attitude always ends in endless ridiculously low scores.

So, in the end, I think this pin is really demanding and requires great attention and skills. Still, I think the outlanes very often punish you too much. When playing very focused this issue decreases significantly, but still I would prefer more narrow outlanes. Being a newbie owner, I have a question: is there a way to reduce the outlanes in some way? Is there any specific gadget for this purpose? Do you think is worthed for a non-super pro player to use regular flippers instead of lighting ones?

#2603 4 years ago

Get rid of the lightning flippers enjoy your pin thats what its all about when you become a pro throw your other flippers on

#2604 4 years ago

can you recommend good standard flippers and link to guides on how to replace them?

#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

can you recommend good standard flippers and link to guides on how to replace them?

You should definitely start by just moving your outlanes closed. There are three holes they can go in and you just need a screwdriver and crescent wrench to move them.

#2606 4 years ago

thanks, but what do you mean? are you suggesting to reduce the outlanes size to make the game easier?

or do you mean I need to move the outlanes before and in order to replace the flippers?

#2607 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

thanks, but what do you mean? are you suggesting to reduce the outlanes size to make the game easier?
or do you mean I need to move the outlanes before and in order to replace the flippers?

I'm saying to move the outlanes in to make the game easier. Then if you want you can also swap the flippers.

#2608 4 years ago

I see, thanks. Agreed!

But I can't understand really how to reduce the oulanes size! do I need to move the triangular shaped blue thing where the slingshots reside?

#2609 4 years ago

There's a red plastic post with a rubber on it at the top of the outlane, to the outside of the slingshots. You can unscrew that post and screw it in to another hole. If you look under the playfield, you'll see it's actually a slot with a metal plate that the post is screwed into.

#2610 4 years ago

You have to remove the castle and the village to access that post to move it. It's a much bigger pain on this game than most.

#2611 4 years ago

Indeed.. Also moved the posts to reduce the outlane size, game became much more fun for a novice like me
Still using the lightning flippers and the game remains brutal/frustrating/addictive

#2612 4 years ago

Thanksall for the help. I am a newbie at modding pinballs, so please be patient with me. I really cant understand what to do. Here a pic of the left outlane. Where shall I start from?image.jpg

#2613 4 years ago

Here a pic with the post unscrewed. Basically the post is screwed in a fixed hole drilled on the playfield (you can see it in the pic). So, the hole cannot be moved. Do I need to drill a new one bit above of the first one?

If this is the case, I cannot understand what aobiren5 means: For what I understood, there is nothing under the playfield related to this post...

Also don't understand what neurokinetik means: for removing this post its not needed to remove the castle and the village...

image.jpg

#2614 4 years ago

You're adjusting the wrong post I believe. It's under the left side of the purple plastic in your pic. Hard to see from this angle. You need to raise the playfield, find the bottom of the post where it screws into a smal rectangular piece of steel with 3 pre drilled and tapped holes for setting the post at different positions. (Widening or closing the outlane gap).

#2615 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Here a pic with the post unscrewed. Basically the post is screwed in a fixed hole drilled on the playfield (you can see it in the pic). So, the hole cannot be moved. Do I need to drill a new one bit above of the first one?
If this is the case, I cannot understand what aobiren5 means: For what I understood, there is nothing under the playfield related to this post...
Also don't understand what neurokinetik means: for removing this post its not needed to remove the castle and the village...
image.jpg

That post stays where it's at. No moving that one. The one you move is a red star post just above and to the left. It has a rubber on it that extends to another star post to the right of it.

#2616 4 years ago

In my previous post I said you have to lift the playfield. This is false. I said that so you could just see the plate with the holes and maybe have a better understanding of what you are trying to adjust from the top. Unscrew the red post and screw it into the whole furthest down on the underneath plate.

#2617 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

In my previous post I said you have to lift the playfield. This is false.

You still might have to raise the PF.

I've seen on several machines where someone also installed a nylon lock-nut on top of (actually, in its' assembled form, the nut is under) the threaded plate to insure the screwed-down post doesn't work its' way loose.

#2618 4 years ago

The posts that adjust are the ones right above the extra ball/special inserts. Yes, you also have to remove the plastics to get to them (and anything that is in the way of those plastics - hence why I say that making this adjustment is more difficult on this game).

Before you disassemble everything, however, closely study how the spring is oriented on the left mist gate, as getting it wrong will make the gate loose and allow balls to sneak in there.

#2619 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Just go to pinballife.com order a set of ballys willams flippers and your good to go the flippers are self explanatory on how to replace

#2620 4 years ago

Working on my 3rd BSD, will post some pics when done. Stripped top and bottom of PF, sanded inside of Cab and just finished painting these.
IMG_0219.JPGIMG_0221.JPG

#2621 4 years ago

Aussom work Ssrig i did the same thing as you but i put red in the dragons eyes

#2622 4 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Aussom work Ssrig i did the same thing as you but i put red in the dragons eyes

Thanks. Great idea! I will be adding some red

#2623 4 years ago

Us Draculas gotta stick togeather post a pic when your done

#2624 4 years ago

thanks a lot guys! Looking at the red star posts from the top, I initially thought they were parts of the entire structures, and not thought about them at all. After your explanations, it was not that difficult really to move those posts.

Played few games after the tweaking, and it already looks like the ball duration increased quite a lot. Before when the ball was coming closer to the outlanes it was dropping really way way too often. I would not describe that type of experience as "hard", but simply as frustrating/unfair. True you have to play the ball in a way it won't go closer to the outlanes. Still, I checked many videos online and I am pretty sure good games and top scores are always achieved with "narrow" outlanes (not that narrow, still!).

Now the game is way much more enjoyable. But still a tough BSD!

I'll play with the new outlanes for a while, then I'll decide if replacing lightning flippers with regular ones or not.

Thanks all again.

edited after some more plays: woooow! finally having tons of fun!! now the pin plays amazing, what a great game! ball time improved enormously, and the overall experience is fantastic and not frustrating at all. few days ago I was starting to get really pissed off with this pin, but now it plays as it should. thanks really for all the advices.
at the moment thinking that lighting flippers are fine with "narrow" outlanes: the game still tough, but fair enough.

#2625 4 years ago

Did you notice where your outlanes were before you moved them? Middle or top?

Definitely makes a huge difference. Congrats on figuring it out and enjoy!

#2626 4 years ago

in the middle. but the game was very unfair. from middle to bottom just some millimeters, but really the gameplay changed a lot, and it's so much better now.

#2627 4 years ago

another smaller issue i noticed in my BSD: the plunger is not very powerful. when i start the game, the ball just barely hit the target for the skill shot. proceeding into the game, after some ball launch, the plunger loose some more energy and often the ball does not reach the target for the skill shot.

how to give some more power to the plunger?

#2628 4 years ago

Clean the shooter and replace the coil sleeve

#2629 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yes to this, also check to be sure you have the proper coil installed.

#2630 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Also make sure the plunger tip is hitting the ball dead center. If it's not hitting the ball centered you will lose lots of energy transfer. Kind of like playing a game of pool when you just kiss the cue ball with your cue. The ball still moves but not very much or with much inertia.

#2631 4 years ago

newbie here: how to clean the shooter? do I have to disassemble it? how? and how to replace the coil sleeve?

#2632 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

newbie here: how to clean the shooter? do I have to disassemble it? how? and how to replace the coil sleeve?

Yes, disassemble the coil mechanism and clean everything with alcohol and a lint free cloth (preferably something like cheesecloth or mill wipes that is disposable). TAKE PICTURES before/as you disassemble it so you know how it goes back together. Makes sure everything is nice and tight when reassembling.

Coil sleeve, purchase a new one and you'll see easily how to replace after disassembling and taking pictures. Just slides into the coil.

#2633 4 years ago

thanks for your suggestions.

I have another minor issue. When the machine is on, but not being played and silent, I hear an annoying low buzzing/hun noise from the cabinet, made presumably by the speakers. I like sometimes to leave the pin on and enjoy the lightining, but this background sound is annoying (although not loud at all). How to avoid it?

#2634 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

thanks for your suggestions.
I have another minor issue. When the machine is on, but not being played and silent, I hear an annoying low buzzing/hun noise from the cabinet, made presumably by the speakers. I like sometimes to leave the pin on and enjoy the lightining, but this background sound is annoying (although not loud at all). How to avoid it?

Try redirecting the wiring in the backbox a little. Sometimes moving a couple of inches makes a difference

#2635 4 years ago

thanks I'll try.

another one: I know that balls released from holes are supposed to land on a specific flipper if the pin is set correctly.
when the ball gets out of the rats hole, on which flipper is supposed to land? on my pin it is dropped towards the right flipper, although the launch is often a bit weak and the ball lands more on the right on the top of the rubber of triangle containing the slingshot, and then from there it jumps to the left towards the opposite slingshot on the right.
On rare occasions, from the rats hole the ball is launched towards the left flipper.

What is the "default" behaviour? And how to "fine tune" the hole mechanism?

#2636 4 years ago

about the noise, it definitely comes from the backbox. i tried moving a bit the wires but no luck. and opening the backbox the sound is very noticeable and annoying.
by the way, is it safe to move the wires when the pin is on? i mean, just moving them a bit (not plugging/unplugging of course).

#2637 4 years ago

ok, I found out how to reach the speakers in the backbox.. the buzzing noise is obviosuly coming from there, espcially from the left (bigger) speaker. tried to move the cables again, just minor changes but the noise comes always back. i had similar problems with stereo systems, many cables creating hum. moving cables always helped, but i had to move way less cables! in the backbox there are literally thousands of cables.. tried to move them all slightly, no luck. any other suggestion?

#2638 4 years ago

I've had some luck reducing hum by making sure all screws into the boards are tight.

#2639 4 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Had my best game on drac last night! It was awesome.

#2640 4 years ago

Found some rats today image.jpgimage.jpg

#2641 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

thanks I'll try.
another one: I know that balls released from holes are supposed to land on a specific flipper if the pin is set correctly.
when the ball gets out of the rats hole, on which flipper is supposed to land? on my pin it is dropped towards the right flipper, although the launch is often a bit weak and the ball lands more on the right on the top of the rubber of triangle containing the slingshot, and then from there it jumps to the left towards the opposite slingshot on the right.
On rare occasions, from the rats hole the ball is launched towards the left flipper.
What is the "default" behaviour? And how to "fine tune" the hole mechanism?

It should go to the right flipper. Like your shooter coil, disassemble the rat hole coil and clean it. Replace the sleeve if necessary. When reinstalling, make sure the mechanism bracket is screwed down tightly to the playfield. There's a little bit of wiggle room in that mechanism for adjusting the angle it comes out at.

You can also bend the rounded "hood" above the playfield to effect how the ball comes out. Very tiny bends if you go that route.

#2642 4 years ago

It should go to the right flipper. Like your shooter coil, disassemble the rat hole coil and clean it. Replace the sleeve if necessary. When reinstalling, make sure the mechanism bracket is screwed down tightly to the playfield. There's a little bit of wiggle room in that mechanism for adjusting the angle it comes out at.
You can also bend the rounded "hood" above the playfield to effect how the ball comes out. Very tiny bends if you go that route.

He sld just do a complete shop job on it at this point lol

#2643 4 years ago

Guess who is back in the club starting this Saturday.......! Saying goodbye to my B/W Corvette for this one!

IMG950312.jpgIMG950581.jpgIMG951655.jpgIMG952278.jpgIMG952652.jpgIMG955028.jpgIMG954369.jpgIMG956453.jpgIMG_7264.jpgIMG959500.jpgIMG958021.jpgIMG957855.jpgIMG950685.jpgIMG952953.jpg

#2644 4 years ago

Great trade off and nice looking bsd

#2645 4 years ago

It took some thorough discussion, some cash on the side, and me bringing Corvette to the new owner, but we were finally able to work something out.

I genuinely think the BSD and Corvette are in nearly identical shape at this point. Really great fellow Pinsider; we clicked right away and just "got it" when discussing pinball.

It comes home tomorrow !!! I'll have more details when I get online after "the drive" !

#2646 4 years ago

looks like a keeper NPO, are you going to hang onto this one?

#2647 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

looks like a keeper NPO, are you going to hang onto this one?

Thanks!

BSD will now be only the second pin I have bought 2x - JM being the other one.

This particular BSD looks to be in very solid shape. Will I hang out it forever? Maybe - I genuinely don't know at this point. I made a deal with the current owner that if I ever do decide to let it go, he has first dibs on it and that he could buy it back.

Our deal was very much a gentlemen's discussion, and I feel 100% confident about it. The way he described this BSD, there really is nothing for me to do except play it. No ColorDMD here yet, so, I guess I'll do the normal upgrading of the speakers and call it a day. Wow, weird to say o_o ....

#2648 4 years ago

During the initial test I often receive the magnet unload error. But then the mist multiball works perfectly. And it's enough to run the magnet test and the error disappear. Why is that? And why some error indication are deleted by running the relative test?

#2649 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

During the initial test I often receive the magnet unload error. But then the mist multiball works perfectly. And it's enough to run the magnet test and the error disappear. Why is that? And why some error indication are deleted by running the relative test?

The error clears because the test was successful. Maybe a long opto issue? Someone else may know more about that one.

#2650 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Quoted from aobrien5:

The error clears because the test was successful. Maybe a long opto issue? Someone else may know more about that one.

Make sure the optos are clean (windex or alcohol) and perfectly aligned. Also take a look if one of the gates is never interfering with the opto-beam.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
$ 109.99
There are 7074 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 142.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside