Topic Stats

• 7,648 posts
  • 639 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 248 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,379 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BSD_Ball_Lock_Adjustment.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_20210107_002734_208 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210106_182602834 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210106_182724469_HDR (resized).jpg
FFD5B56A-A187-415B-B540-7FD2CB946E74 (resized).jpeg
BE146EB2-F7E4-4A0A-B2B5-AA2B07A79DED (resized).jpeg
6440BEBE-D25E-49B9-B61D-2CE11F918DE9 (resized).jpeg
EEA1F432-7A69-4734-9DAE-429D82F32983 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0696 (resized).jpg
IMG_0699 (resized).jpg
0DC2E859-1004-4061-A83A-F9DF1DFEC2F4 (resized).jpeg
58925E33-9028-4479-91C2-5E59E167868F (resized).jpeg
20201215_195024 (resized).jpg
131266945_2714231558907223_3422527650674813681_n (resized).jpg
BSD (resized).jpg
IMG_1579.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

32 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7648 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 153.
#2351 5 years ago

Oh so you just want to know the polarity of your coil? Why didn't you just say so The banded side of the diode/lug it attaches to is positive. If there is no diode it doesn't matter you can hook the pos/neg up to either terminal.

#2353 5 years ago

I need a new DMD to replace the original on my machine. Who's bought the Vishay from Marco and installed it? Does the display still look properly red? I think I remember reading at some point that the new displays are brighter. Thanks!

#2354 5 years ago

I would think any NOS DMD would look solid in the game as it red screen by nature lowers the resolution (planned I am sure) - Vishay Dale, Cherry, and Babcock are all good. Some folks prefer one brand over the other but there is no consensus - I have googled it. My humble opinion is the Vishay or Cherry for one simple reason - the Babcock buzzes like a cricket stuck in electrical outlet and it drives me crazy, but some cant hear it (inferior beings is my theory)

Some say the Babcock is brighter (and it oughta be with that sound) but I don't see it... DMD's come up on ebay sometimes too

#2355 5 years ago

Thanks, sleepygtr, just the sort of feedback I was hoping to receive. Pinsiders FTW once again!

Marco only stocks the Vishay, and I figured they would have compared the makes before deciding on a single one to stock. SC is just south of me, so their packages show up intact and fast, thus I've done a lot of business with them and was leaning toward ordering from them unless I was warned off the Vishay.

My original display buzzes pretty badly as well--had chalked it up to its age. During video mode the attract mode text (with long-gone credit dot!) is plainly visible. I was worried a too-bright display would cut through the filter a bit and it wouldn't look as red as it should.

Thanks again for this feedback, sleepygtr! This thread is chock full of good info; hope yours is as helpful to others down the line as it was to me. I had a fantasy of compiling all the good tech info from this thread in a single document, but as we're now approaching 50 pages it's a bit daunting to consider.

#2356 5 years ago

Woohoo! Acquired a BSD playfield (SP / Sun Process version). Some minor (usual) damage around rats hole and tiny dented track at the 'landing zone', though it's in better shape compared to my current one which is showing some minor planking overall and cracked paint at the landing zone (LS / Lenc Smith version).
Going to read all about polishing and waxing and step into the adventure of a playfield swap soon

#2357 5 years ago

Is there an easy way to tell which playfield type one has in their BSD? I know in mine i can see a serial number on playfield from an angle in between the slings ontop. Thanks

#2358 5 years ago

Under the apron. Either LS or SP.

#2359 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Is there an easy way to tell which playfield type one has in their BSD? I know in mine i can see a serial number on playfield from an angle in between the slings ontop. Thanks

Remove the left apron card, and look down at the playfield.

#2360 5 years ago

Mine has a LS playfield but it's gorgeous! Not a bit O' planking anywhere.

#2361 5 years ago
Quoted from PsychoPsonic:

Marco only stocks the Vishay.

Thirty bucks cheaper at Pinball Life.

#2362 5 years ago

thanks for the quick replies, ill check when I get home. Is there a certain percentage that are LS or SP?

#2363 5 years ago

I used to have a bias of the LS playfields. I don't anymore after I've seen my share without issues.

Planking can happen to just about any pf.

#2364 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I used to have a bias of the LS playfields. I don't anymore after I've seen my share without issues.
Planking can happen to just about any pf.

You are correct. My SP playfield has a little bit of planking around the Dracula inserts. VERY minor so it doesnt bother me and I will never sell it.

#2365 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Its been mentioned somewhere here before but a cool thing about the serial number between the slings is if you hold a black light on the numbers they will glow! Looks awesome with the lights down!

#2366 5 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Just joined the club, she is FILTHY but plays good. Once I get it cleaned up ill be digging into the thread for some ideas!

image.jpg 198 KB

Congrats Nate! I would take a filthy BSD over a minty CCC or all the others I gave the boot. Put that next to Flash gordon and see which is more brutal.

#2367 5 years ago
Quoted from SSrig:

Congrats Nate! I would take a filthy BSD over a minty CCC or all the others I gave the boot. Put that next to Flash gordon and see which is more brutal.

Thanks Don! FG is still in pieces but it will win hands down as most brutal, also the most fun!

I miss the Shadow a bit but BSD wins in the "just one more game" category!

#2368 5 years ago

Opinions please....traditional red or color DMD? Having one restored and just wanted to see what people liked better/would recommend. I like the red as is but the color looks really cool from what I have seen.

#2369 5 years ago

Nobody has colorized Dracula yet. So you'd still be stuck with a single color display, though it would not have to be red.

#2370 5 years ago
Quoted from mikerob34:

Opinions please....traditional red or color DMD? Having one restored and just wanted to see what people liked better/would recommend. I like the red as is but the color looks really cool from what I have seen.

I dont think there will be a color dmd made for BSD as the speaker panel has a red filter. You would need to replace the speaker panel along with the DMD.

#2371 5 years ago

Hmmm...may have to dig....saw one a few days back. If not....simple decision I guess...

#2372 5 years ago

I bought my BSD with regular flippers, I am going to buy lightning repro's. I have read varying reports of durability issues with certain types/colors. Anyone with suggestions on whom to buy from?

Thanks

#2373 5 years ago

I bought a yellow set from Marco back in October, and they have held up for 400+ games so far. They seemed to be built as well as original Williams.

#2374 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I bought my BSD with regular flippers, I am going to buy lightning repro's. I have read varying reports of durability issues with certain types/colors. Anyone with suggestions on whom to buy from?
Thanks

I bought some lightning flippers from Marco. They are equal in length to standard flippers...

That sucks.

#2375 5 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

I bought some lightning flippers from Marco. They are equal in length to standard flippers...
That sucks.

I just got these from Marco and they are correct

IMG_20150228_194623274.jpg
#2376 5 years ago

Hey guys, my HV coil line just went down again. I posted about this before here, but thought I had fixed it. I have a Rottendog CPU, my driver board was just rebuilt, all transistors are fine, fuses fine, coils all have power and proper resistance. I just played fifty games and all was as well as can be until I get my mist opto board and then all of a sudden, the entire line went down again. I thought it was the ball launch coil as that is what appeared to cause it last time, but I disconnected that and still no go.

Here is my thread. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bram-stokers-dracula-high-voltage-coils-out-not-fuse

#2377 5 years ago

Alright ye vampire hunters, I'm back in the best club on pinside. I LOVE BSD and only got rid of the old one for a better game. It is my favorite game ever.

I Have a beautiful game now and here comes the question.

On my left inlane I have a touch of flipper chatter, where the rubber is slightly higher than the lane. I have measured both sides with a caliper and both are exactly the same. I have taken the lane off and on and it will not stay where it needs to. There just isn't much play in the holes to move the lane at all. Wondered if any of you have had this issue and what your fix was. I've never not been able to move the hardware to fix this so I'm curious as to what solutions you all have..

#2378 5 years ago

I don't think my skillshot is working properly but if someone can answer these questions, that would be helpful:

1) Should the top left drop target be down prior to plunging the ball or does hitting that drop target actually give the skill shot award?

2) Is there a setting to change the skillshot that i might of overlooked?

thanks

#2379 5 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

On my left inlane I have a touch of flipper chatter, where the rubber is slightly higher than the lane. I have measured both sides with a caliper and both are exactly the same. I have taken the lane off and on and it will not stay where it needs to. There just isn't much play in the holes to move the lane at all. Wondered if any of you have had this issue and what your fix was. I've never not been able to move the hardware to fix this so I'm curious as to what solutions you all have..

Pictures?

Quoted from ZenTron:

I don't think my skillshot is working properly but if someone can answer these questions, that would be helpful:
1) Should the top left drop target be down prior to plunging the ball or does hitting that drop target actually give the skill shot award?
2) Is there a setting to change the skillshot that i might of overlooked?
thanks

Drop should be up, hitting it should award the skills hot.
No settings I know of.

#2380 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I just got these from Marco and they are correct

IMG_20150228_194623274.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

In the pic, the lightning flippers appear to be the same length as standard flippers, they are supposed to be 1/8" shorter then standard flippers..

#2381 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

No settings I know of.

Indeed.. Only in case you enabled 'Video Mode' with the previous ball, the drop target remains down at ball launch.
When the drop target is not activated, any other switch will activate the skill shot award (for example the roll over lanes above the pop bumpers).

@ZenTron: are you sure the drop target is functioning properly? Mine was stuck at some moment and was not raised.

#2382 5 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

In the pic, the lightning flippers appear to be the same length as standard flippers, they are supposed to be 1/8" shorter then standard flippers..

The yellow ones are the original lightning flippers. The repros are identical

#2383 5 years ago

thanks for the quick replies!

I'll dig into it this evening when I get home, but the drop target is up and it drops but no skill shot is registered. The skill shot gets registered when ball goes over a rollover switch above pops.

Anything suggestions on wear I should look etc.. is appreciated. I assume it could be a loose wire possibly..

#2384 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Pictures?

No settings I know of.

Lane is lower than the flipper by a hair. May try and move the flipper bushing now.

#2385 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

thanks for the quick replies!
I'll dig into it this evening when I get home, but the drop target is up and it drops but no skill shot is registered. The skill shot gets registered when ball goes over a rollover switch above pops.
Anything suggestions on wear I should look etc.. is appreciated. I assume it could be a loose wire possibly..

Is the target being reset immediately after it's hit? That sounds like the target switch isn't closing. The target should always immediately reset unless you have VIDEO spelled out. Once you shoot behind the target for video mode, it again resets.

#2386 5 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find target decals? Pinball decals has them for $30, was wondering if anywhere else has a set.

Thanks

#2387 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

The yellow ones are the original lightning flippers. The repros are identical

The white flippers shown in the pic are not original to BSD. BSD shipped with yellow lightning flippers that are 1/8" shorter then the yellow lightning flippers shown in the pic/available from Marco. My FT has original lightning flippers that I compared to the set I got from Marco, and the set from Marco was 1/8" longer

#2388 5 years ago

There are multiple color choices. These are the ones I purchased:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9734-5

#2389 5 years ago

Nevermind, I see now. Wonder why the yellow lightning flippers I got are longer then the yellow lightning flippers on my FT???

#2390 5 years ago

If they're off send them some pictures and I'm sure they'll make it right

#2391 5 years ago

So my shooter launches the ball up the ramp and it jumps into the little clear plastic cover at the top of the launch ramp about half the time. That kills the momentum and it either dribbles into the lanes or never makes the lanes. Suggestions?

#2392 5 years ago

Check to make sure the tip of ball launcher is hitting ball dead center.

#2393 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

So my shooter launches the ball up the ramp and it jumps into the little clear plastic cover at the top of the launch ramp about half the time. That kills the momentum and it either dribbles into the lanes or never makes the lanes. Suggestions?

Do you have the small clear square plastic that sits atop the shooter lane to prevent airballs?

#2394 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Does anyone know where I can find target decals? Pinball decals has them for $30, was wondering if anywhere else has a set.
Thanks

Hope you can find some. I couldn't.

#2395 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Check to make sure the tip of ball launcher is hitting ball dead center.

Hard to tell, but I think so!

Quoted from aobrien5:

Do you have the small clear square plastic that sits atop the shooter lane to prevent airballs?

I do, and that's part of the problem! The ball is jumping at the top of the ramp and clipping the back edge of the plastic, which slows it down

#2396 5 years ago

I don't think so, take a pic

#2397 5 years ago

A pic of the ball in the shooter lane?

#2398 5 years ago

Pic of the plastic and take one of just tip if you can it may be worn

#2399 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Hard to tell, but I think so!

I do, and that's part of the problem! The ball is jumping at the top of the ramp and clipping the back edge of the plastic, which slows it down

Whoops. Missed that. How does your ramp flap look? Is it dented?

Is the plastic installed backwards? (mine was when I got it.) The overhang should be in front.

#2400 5 years ago

Huh, mines installed with overhang in back. I don't have any ball launch issues though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 109.99
There are 7648 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 153.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside