Topic Stats

• 7,142 posts
  • 587 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Kas24
  • Topic is favorited by 225 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,202 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4444 (resized).jpg
IMG_1213 (resized).jpg
Drac (resized).jpg
IMG_1235 (resized).jpg
IMG_1234 (resized).jpg
IMG_1233 (resized).jpg
IMG_1217 (resized).jpg
20190813_172824 (resized).jpg
20190803_052132 (resized).jpg
20190804_130029 (resized).jpg
20190810_152719 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
20190802_194328 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
20190831_104258 (resized).jpg
20190811_180226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

31 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7142 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 143.
#2051 5 years ago

Nice cabinet reds on that game!

#2052 5 years ago

All right, got the Mystery Hole Cliffy installed!!!! Here are the photos from tonight. I have a video - nothing really exciting - just me talking about the process and just an "over-arching view" of my first minor shop job.

Unfortunately, my GoPro was facing too high, and all the other videos are basically worthless. Totally sucks - did a good 8+ videos as I went, and everything I did was out of view....

Next time guys.... better videos.

20141011_221147.jpg20141011_221927.jpg20141011_221914.jpg20141012_002403.jpg20141011_230809.jpg20141011_230822.jpg20141011_231544.jpg20141012_002403.jpg20141012_003252.jpg20141012_002403.jpg20141012_004448.jpg20141012_004459.jpg20141012_011342.jpg20141012_011356.jpg20141012_011408.jpg20141012_012110.jpg

All done!!

20141012_020238.jpg20141012_020222.jpg

20141011_225403.jpg 20141012_003303.jpg
#2053 5 years ago

All right, got the Mystery Hole Cliffy installed!!!! Here are the photos from tonight. I have a video - nothing really exciting - just me talking about the process and just an "over-arching view" of my first minor shop job.

Unfortunately, my GoPro was facing too high, and all the other videos are basically worthless. Totally sucks - did a good 8+ videos as I went, and everything I did was out of view....

20141011_221147.jpg20141011_221927.jpg20141011_225403.jpg20141011_230809.jpg20141011_230822.jpg20141011_231544.jpg20141012_002403.jpg20141012_003252.jpg20141012_003303.jpg20141012_004448.jpg20141012_004459.jpg20141012_011342.jpg20141012_011356.jpg20141012_011408.jpg20141012_012110.jpg

All done!

20141012_020238.jpg20141012_020222.jpg

#2054 5 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Was this the one at the show that was priced at $2k? It looked pretty nice! Played well, seemed to work 100% from what I could tell. Great deal!

No, this one was not actually at the show. I picked it up from Carl, a fellow pinsider, who happens to be right in York. I'd put condition as very good to excellent player quality, but with some TLC and sending out the playfield for some minor restoration and a good clearcoat, this could be a nice collector quality machine. He was upfront and honest about the condition of the game, so I'm satisfied with the deal.

I'm very grateful to Carl to honoring my "first in line" place, even though there was plenty of interest in the game. I'm also grateful for the help in getting it into the van, and that it was already out of the basement when I arrived (that did not look fun, at all).

Post edited by neurokinetik: derp. wrong picture

IMG_1386.jpg
#2055 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Ah, I can see how that would be one difficult thing about taking the GoPro videos. Looks like everything went well though!

Quoted from neurokinetik:

No, this one was not actually at the show. I picked it up from Carl, a fellow pinsider, who happens to be right in York. I'd put condition as very good to excellent player quality, but with some TLC and sending out the playfield for some minor restoration and a good clearcoat, this could be a nice collector quality machine. He was upfront and honest about the condition of the game, so I'm satisfied with the deal.
I'm very grateful to Carl to honoring my "first in line" place, even though there was plenty of interest in the game. I'm also grateful for the help in getting it into the van, and that it was already out of the basement when I arrived (that did not look fun, at all).

IMG_1386.jpg 247 KB

Nice! Welcome to the club, your going to love it!

#2056 5 years ago

The cliffy on the scoop should be flush with the playfield. When installing cliffy's you often have to bend them slightly to create the proper tension so they lay flat when tightened down. It's kind of trial and error but otherwise you'll affect the ball path and scratch up the pinball (which isn't directly a problem, but then it scratches other things like your playfield).

#2057 5 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

The cliffy on the scoop should be flush with the playfield. When installing cliffy's you often have to bend them slightly to create the proper tension so they lay flat when tightened down. It's kind of trial and error but otherwise you'll affect the ball path and scratch up the pinball (which isn't directly a problem, but then it scratches other things like your playfield).

Terry are you referring to the 7th picture down (rat hole)? There is a slight shadow but I thought that was the castle above. Good eye!

#2058 5 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Could I use some kind of an emblem adhesive to make the Cliffy sit flush? If not, I can do some more trial and error tomorrow.

#2059 5 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Terry are you referring to the 7th picture down (rat hole)?

Yes.

Quoted from NPO:

Could I use some kind of an emblem adhesive to make the Cliffy sit flush? If not, I can do some more trial and error tomorrow.

Not sure what emblem adhesive is, but I've never tried using a removable adhesive with the protector's. I would bounce it off cliffy before going that route.

#2060 5 years ago

I would also recommend not playing until you get that resolved so you don't damage the playfield or the cliffy itself.

#2061 5 years ago

Glad you are enjoying the machine! It was definitely not fun pulling from the basement... But a worthwhile price to pay to participate in the hobby. I saw two BSDs at the show, and I'd submit that neither was in as nice a condition as your new one! Unfortunately, this means I must check out of the BSD club, though one day I will likely return!

IMG_1386.jpg 247 KB

#2062 5 years ago

NewPin, you may need to file out one of the screw holes on the rat cliffy. I suspect it looks fine, but when you press the post in, it pops up. I had the same problem.

#2063 5 years ago

I ended up removing my cliffy on the mystery hole as I couldn't seem to get it to sit flush. My damage isn't that bad but I was hoping to protect it so it wouldn't get any worse but it was more frustrating than it was worth to get it to sit correctly so I removed it.

Dave

#2064 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

NewPin, you may need to file out one of the screw holes on the rat cliffy. I suspect it looks fine, but when you press the post in, it pops up. I had the same problem.

Thanks AO! I'll check it tomorrow while my wifey is at work ! I haven't played it since getting the game back together, so fret not my friends, BSD is safe .

#2065 5 years ago

There we go - all better - cliffy sits 100% flush with the PF now.

Just as terryb said: the cliffy needed to be bent to fit right.

4 small videos on it in a progressive state. I really need to learn to start merging videos D: ...

1. IDing the Problem

2. Fixed and Explanation

3. Quick Observation

4. Final thoughts and one last look with game fully assembled

#2066 5 years ago

Thanks for posting the videos. Very good explanation.

#2067 5 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Thanks for posting the videos. Very good explanation.

Thanks terryb, and thank you for suggesting to bend it a tiny bit to make it fit. That was exactly what I had to do!

#2068 5 years ago

Here's what I've done so far on my BSD:

- Added LED OCD
- fixed bubble level (it was backwards)
- replaced several insert light incandescents with color-matched LEDs, and swapped over some previously installed LEDs with different ones that I've found to work to my liking on other games.
- replaced missing beer seal
- replaced ball launch button that I broke when trying to replace its lamp with an LED.
- replaced the speakers with a Flipper Fidelity kit (the old cabinet speaker was TOAST, )
- replace missing tilt bob
- switched flippers back to lightning flippers with red rubber
- tweaked left mist gate that was sticking in the up position

A couple of pics. The existing cabinet speaker. Carl said the game was much better with an external subwoofer. I can see why!

2nd pic, just look at those colors now! I am using mostly color-matched Ablaze quads, with the exceptions of yellow inserts, where I use premium warm whites either with or without a clear dome. With the LED OCD, the brighter the LED, the more flexibility I have when tweaking the brighness overall. I can always make them dimmer, but I can't go the other way.

IMG_1395.jpg
IMG_1397.jpg

#2069 5 years ago

Here's what I've done so far on my BSD:
- Added LED OCD
- fixed bubble level (it was backwards)
- replaced several insert light incandescents with color-matched LEDs, and swapped over some previously installed LEDs with different ones that I've found to work to my liking on other games.
- replaced missing beer seal
- replaced ball launch button that I broke when trying to replace its lamp with an LED.
- replaced the speakers with a Flipper Fidelity kit (the old cabinet speaker was TOAST, )
- replace missing tilt bob
- switched flippers back to lightning flippers with red rubber
- tweaked left mist gate that was sticking in the up position
A couple of pics. The existing cabinet speaker. Carl said the game was much better with an external subwoofer. I can see why!
2nd pic, just look at those colors now! I am using mostly color-matched Ablaze quads, with the exceptions of yellow inserts, where I use premium warm whites either with or without a clear dome. With the LED OCD, the brighter the LED, the more flexibility I have when tweaking the brighness overall. I can always make them dimmer, but I can't go the other way.

Looks great!

#2070 5 years ago

Best coffin mod award goes to me! KPULL's Dracula and some Stone spray-paint! Before and after photos - looks awesome live (thanks Keith... and me)

photo 2-5-575.JPG photo 3-3-976.JPG photo 4-212.JPG photo 5-750.JPG
#2071 5 years ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

Best coffin mod award goes to me! KPULL's Dracula and some Stone spray-paint! Before and after photos - looks awesome live (thanks Keith... and me)

That does look really good!

#2072 5 years ago

Looks good but IMHO you should have drilled a new hole in the tombstone plastic to center it on the coffin back piece. Note also no washers on pop bumper add on, use 1/4" stand off which snap into the large hole and use a bit longer screw to secure it.DSCN4396.JPGDSCN4395.JPG

#2073 5 years ago

Picked up my BSD less than two weeks ago and I am loving it. It relentlessly punishes me and keeps me coming back for more. A couple small issues that I've been working through to get the game dialed in. One thing that I can't seem to figure out. When the ball comes out of the VUK after entering the mystery hole it will very often defy gravity and roll backwards up the wire form before rolling back down into the left inlane. It appears to have an awful backspin coming out of the VUK which probably has something to do with it. Anyone else experience this?

#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

One thing that I can't seem to figure out. When the ball comes out of the VUK after entering the mystery hole it will very often defy gravity and roll backwards up the wire form before rolling back down into the left inlane. It appears to have an awful backspin coming out of the VUK which probably has something to do with it. Anyone else experience this?

Does it bounce, or is it all spin? Inspect the up kicker and make sure the plunger tip hits the ball squarely. If you loosen the coil mounting screws, you should get a little play to adjust with.

#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Does it bounce, or is it all spin? Inspect the up kicker and make sure the plunger tip hits the ball squarely. If you loosen the coil mounting screws, you should get a little play to adjust with.

I will check that out. Thanks!

#2076 5 years ago

So my right hand mist gate's coil seems life it's not strong enough to lift the gate correctly.
Seems to pulse rather than a steady hold. Upon inspection I found that the coil that is installed is not an AE-26-1500 like the manual claims should be there. I know these manuals are not always 100% accurate. Can someone put an eye on their coil to verify?
Much appreciated!

#2077 5 years ago

Mine does have an AE-26-1500 on it.

#2078 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Mine does have an AE-26-1500 on it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully the proper coil will address the issue.
BTW I stacked all 3 multiballs last night for the first time.
What a blast!!

#2079 5 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully the proper coil will address the issue.
BTW I stacked all 3 multiballs last night for the first time.
What a blast!!

No problem. Nice job. It's such a great feeling.

#2080 5 years ago

Nice job! I still have no ever achieved castle multi ball lol. I must really suck haha. I have started the other two multiball a but castle seems to be the most challenging!

#2081 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Nice job! I still have no ever achieved castle multi ball lol. I must really suck haha. I have started the other two multiball a but castle seems to be the most challenging!

It definitely is. Here's some tips. When you get your first left ramp award (probably at 6 ramps), make sure the coffin is already open. If it is, you'll get a Castle Lock lit for free, though it is timed. It's often said to stay away from the center target bank, and that's good advice. However, you'll often need just the center target to light the lock. A backhand from the right flipper on that is worth the risk to get you over the hump.

#2082 5 years ago

This game is beyond awesome. It took me sometime to really appreciate it. Once you learn all the rules and figure out how to stack multi-balls, it's so much fun - & the call outs are perfect!

#2083 5 years ago

Here is Mina trying to save those little rabbits from Drac

sexy-mina-ohmy.gif
#2084 5 years ago

This is a couple years old, so hopefully he's still making them. But all I could think was "Holy sh.. Those are awesome!"

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=232493

CabProtectors.jpg

#2085 5 years ago

Got some weird issues going on. Whenever I get Coffin and Castle multiball (got castle for the first time tonight BTW) it never does the "10 million" or "20 million" callouts. Mist multiball does the 10 Million callout no prob. I still have not had all three MB's going all at once so I dont know what happens during that haha. Also my coffin multiball never ended tonight. I had to restart the game eventually. It just went on, and on, and on launching more balls even after several drains of all 3 balls. Its almost like it was confused as to how many balls were in play. So basically:

Problem 1: No points callouts from dracula. (only hear 10 million during mist)
Problem 2: Never ending coffin and castle multiball.

Anyone ever have anything like this? Factory reset? New ribbon cables? As usual thanks for the help!!

#2086 5 years ago

Mist multi enables the 10 mil call out. You will not hear "10 million" unless you enable Mist first. See Bowen's 40 min video for proof starting at the 13:12 and the 16:12 mark:

As far as your never-ending multiball issues, 2 things to focus on:

The castle and coffin multiball are controlled by the same opto board. There could be something wonky going on with your opto board, or it could be something as simple as a sticking trough switch. I would take your apron off and play with the apron removed so you can see what's going on with the trough switches. There just may be a sticking one in the trough.

Let us know!

#2087 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Got some weird issues going on. Whenever I get Coffin and Castle multiball (got castle for the first time tonight BTW) it never does the "10 million" or "20 million" callouts. Mist multiball does the 10 Million callout no prob. I still have not had all three MB's going all at once so I dont know what happens during that haha. Also my coffin multiball never ended tonight. I had to restart the game eventually. It just went on, and on, and on launching more balls even after several drains of all 3 balls. Its almost like it was confused as to how many balls were in play. So basically:
Problem 1: No points callouts from dracula. (only hear 10 million during mist)
Problem 2: Never ending coffin and castle multiball.
Anyone ever have anything like this? Factory reset? New ribbon cables? As usual thanks for the help!!

Looking at the switch matrix, column 5 has several optos that you may be having problems with. Check out the switch matrix and those optos.

I know this sounds extreme, but every time I get a pin, all my boards get sent to Coin-Op Cauldron which guarantees I won't have to troubleshoot any board issues. Then I'll know all my issues are playfield or harness related which to me is far easier/more fun to troubleshoot. These Williams/Bally games are getting to be 20+ years old. People are starting to find certain capacitors need replaced that cause weirdness, that is just not fun for me to troubleshoot.

#2088 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Mist multi enables the 10 mil call out. You will not hear "10 million" unless you enable Mist first. See Bowen's 40 video for proof starting at the 13:12 and the 16:12 mark:
ยป YouTube video
As far as your never-ending multiball issues, 2 things to focus on:
The castle and coffin multiball are controlled by the same opto board. There could be something wonky going on with your opto board, or it could be something as simple as a sticking trough switch. I would take your apron off and play with the apron removed so you can see what's going on with the trough switches. There just may be a sticking one in the trough.
Let us know!

Thanks for the quick response!! What you said makes total sense haha. This is such a difficult game that I really have no consistency with each game so I cannot get a feel for what is normal gameplay or a problem arising. As far as trough switch, I do get a switch 41 error (trough switch) pretty often. Damn you're good!! hahaha... I will replace switch 41 and I will watch that video again now that I actually own the game it might make more sense now lol. Again thank you very much.

#2089 5 years ago

You're welcome . Glad I could help. BSD is quite a unique beast, and yeah, if you're getting that error, that means that switch more than likely needs to be adjusted. If I recall correctly, you can tweak the metal arms that cause the switch to "click" when it is engaged.

Typically, when you "occasionally" get a switch error, that means that switch is not being tripped for x > 30 games or so. So what's happening for you is most of the time the switch is not tripping and then randomly the ball rolling over it gives just enough force to engage the switch and the switch error goes away.

Take your PF glass off, bring your table up and out, and identify which switch is 41. I am pretty sure it is the 4th switch or the first one the ball rolls over once exiting the PF. Trip it with your finger and see if you hear it "click" - basically your hand is acting as the ball. If you do not hear a very obvious "click", try adjusting the metal arm. Test your other switches so you know what to expect from the "suspect" one. Always do this kind of stuff with the game off and unplugged from the wall. You never know what can happen with the game on or plugged it - trust me on this one.

If you clearly hear the suspected switch "click", fire the game up, go into switch test mode, and re-do your tests on the suspect switch. If the suspect switch activates in switch test mode, start a game and enable the coffin or castle multiball, then play the multiball out and see if when all but one ball drain that the mode stops. If it does, you're good my man!

Let us know what you find !

#2090 5 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Looking at the switch matrix, column 5 has several optos that you may be having problems with. Check out the switch matrix and those optos.
I know this sounds extreme, but every time I get a pin, all my boards get sent to Coin-Op Cauldron which guarantees I won't have to troubleshoot any board issues. Then I'll know all my issues are playfield or harness related which to me is far easier/more fun to troubleshoot. These Williams/Bally games are getting to be 20+ years old. People are starting to find certain capacitors need replaced that cause weirdness, that is just not fun for me to troubleshoot.

Thank you I will check the optos as well!

#2091 5 years ago

I Learned how to play Better after watch-n Bowen's 40 min video .. He Woop's BSD 's Azz , N A gOOd way

Here's my BSD , watch the vid- in 1080 and turn Down the volume .. New HD camera

#2092 5 years ago

I know I've posted it here before, but it looks like I haven't in this thread...

I'm not a mod guy. In fact, you could say I'm an anti-mod guy. I just don't care for most of them and I believe my friends and customers should be able to play a game as close as possible to what the designer intended. However, my Drac came with upgraded flipper coils. 11629's. And they are spectacular. I would never dream of removing them. With those coils, the steeper I make it, the more fun it is. Seriously.

The game has factory nicked up ramps and they haven't suffered any more damage in the 5 or so years that I've had it. And most of the time it's been out on location. It's also been used in the tourney at CAX multiple times. By far, I get more compliments for Drac than any of my other games. The kicker is that most folks don't even realize they're playing a game with upgraded flipper coils. They just know the game is really fun to play. It has white rubbers and lightning bats, but I never wax the SP playfield. Don't need to. The 11629's are like permanent wax.

If you're considering modding your BSD, I highly recommend this mod.

#2093 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

...However, my Drac came with upgraded flipper coils. 11629's. And they are spectacular. I would never dream of removing them. With those coils, the steeper I make it, the more fun it is. Seriously.
The game has factory nicked up ramps and they haven't suffered any more damage in the 5 or so years that I've had it. And most of the time it's been out on location. It's also been used in the tourney at CAX multiple times. By far, I get more compliments for Drac than any of my other games. The kicker is that most folks don't even realize they're playing a game with upgraded flipper coils. They just know the game is really fun to play. It has white rubbers and lightning bats, but I never wax the SP playfield. Don't need to. The 11629's are like permanent wax.

I haven't done anything much to my BSD since I got it working really well, but the flippers seem pretty weak to me, so this upgrade really interests me. Thanks for sharing!

#2094 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Adjusting the left inlane wire form where it attaches to the slingshot post resolved this issue.

#2095 5 years ago

After months of looking I picked up this gem last week. As to be expected I am experiencing multiball problems (motor sounds like it is constantly running, but the magnet does not seem to be engaging). I am also getting 3 bongs upon fire up. It looks like this is a U18 error. I am looking forward to getting this baby error free.

IMG_5210.JPG
#2096 5 years ago

Adjusting the left inlane wire form where it attaches to the slingshot post resolved this issue.

Sweet. That's also the fix for balls that moonwalk up the inlane (into the outlane) after being kicked out by the VUK, which is what I initially thought your problem was. Glad you got it fixed.

#2097 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Forgot to mention...

The other 'mod' I have on this game is conventional blue flipper rubbers. I've found that they are generally a little softer than factory black rubbers, which allows for better ball control. They're also fairly consistent in hardness too, unlike much softer conventional red or yellow rubbers. With these rubbers (and the upgraded coils), I can jack it up past 7 degrees and still make either ramp no problem.

I know I'm biased, but this setup is the best example of Fliptronic flippers I ever played. The flippers are snappy as hell, the control is outstanding, and despite the short lightning bats, the overall feel is perfect. If you want to learn how to do post passes using lightning bats, this is the setup to do it.

#2098 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Forgot to mention...
The other 'mod' I have on this game is conventional blue flipper rubbers. I've found that they are generally a little softer than factory black rubbers, which allows for better ball control. They're also fairly consistent in hardness too, unlike much softer conventional red or yellow rubbers. With these rubbers (and the upgraded coils), I can jack it up past 7 degrees and still make either ramp no problem.
I know I'm biased, but this setup is the best example of Fliptronic flippers I ever played. The flippers are snappy as hell, the control is outstanding, and despite the short lightning bats, the overall feel is perfect. If you want to learn how to do post passes using lightning bats, this is the setup to do it.

I'll def look into this upgrade thanks!

#2099 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

After months of looking I picked up this gem last week. As to be expected I am experiencing multiball problems (motor sounds like it is constantly running, but the magnet does not seem to be engaging). I am also getting 3 bongs upon fire up. It looks like this is a U18 error. I am looking forward to getting this baby error free.

IMG_5210.JPG 166 KB

I had a very similar issue. I ended up replacing the Mist Ball harness, it was frayed from moving back and forth over the last 20 years. Check that and your Mist Ball Optos both short and long.

#2100 5 years ago

Thanks for the leads. This setup does seem to be a bit finicky. When I run the magnet test I have a fault before I even begin. During the left/right test the ball just drains right down the middle-no magnetic pull whatsoever. Briefly, ever so briefly during the test I had the magnet moving left to right, but it only lasted about ten seconds. I guess I'll start going over all of those odds and ends tomorrow.

Is it safe to assume the 3 bongs is unrelated?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 7142 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 143.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside