Topic Stats

• 7,014 posts
  • 578 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by aobrien5
  • Topic is favorited by 226 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,141 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8091CD4E-F40C-44F6-AAC3-DF283CAA6280 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
3C89B6CA-28E3-4013-8E6E-72EE7CCC988F (resized).jpeg
8C00CCB6-8A67-4BBB-A104-6366F8E6019E (resized).jpeg
439BE6FC-3666-4209-AB8F-3E4BE5C0B1FF (resized).jpeg
C1F6CF74-5684-4AE9-BF5D-7E3F3981D6E6 (resized).jpeg
Werewolf (resized).jpg
4EDF2BD0-853A-4FB6-A74D-C0701A6BCBC3 (resized).png
1EDAA745-6DF1-4167-82F7-CC054A2C0047 (resized).jpeg
8B28A24F-1C10-4C4E-8879-29C23BEA0EFF (resized).jpeg
874A3D9A-FF2B-44F5-9083-8725ACE05143 (resized).jpeg
48A3B31E-B0E3-4184-A453-45837E71CB4F (resized).jpeg
69EACF70-F761-4A55-875A-0343D0BA22B5 (resized).jpeg
788A0E34-E214-4C55-9D81-5AA9167636BC (resized).jpeg
B6CDCDD2-6A2A-480C-8B95-8B3000F1AA53 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191028_184714560 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

31 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7014 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 141.
#1901 5 years ago

Hello Carpathians... who makes a CLEAR coffin ramp? In mine you can barely see the green insert when the coffin ramp is up even after installing a super cool white flex LED ....THANKS!

#1902 5 years ago

Post a pic of your problem. Your coffin ramp is clear, and when it's up (the lock light is on), the flap can get in a way a bit to see the lit insert. That's not unique to yours, but if all the cross lights are lit, then you know the coffin is open anyway.

Edit: I'm guessing you won't be able to find a new lift ramp easily.

#1903 5 years ago

I'm looking too.mine is crappy looking. g.l. joe

#1904 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Post a pic of your problem. Your coffin ramp is clear, and when it's up (the lock light is on), the flap can get in a way a bit to see the lit insert. That's not unique to yours, but if all the cross lights are lit, then you know the coffin is open anyway.
Edit: I'm guessing you won't be able to find a new lift ramp easily.

Basically what he means, AO, is the ball has gone up that ramp SO many times that the transparency of the ramp is gone and it is more of a "translucent blur". Like on mine, I can see the green light, but good luck ever reading the words on the insert....

I know you can get polishing kits - similar but NOT identical to headlight kits - to make this problem possibly go away, but, meh, I never really notice it on mine. Like you said, the cross is fully lit, you audibly hear the ramp go up, and you know what to do at that point!

Replacements would be nice, but I'd be willing to bet this is verrrrrrrrrrrrryyy low on the list of Rick's list of parts to bring back to the market.

#1905 5 years ago

Howdy guys, so I am finally getting to addressing the castle lock optos. I started by using the BSD Shop Guide that is somewhere here on Pinside, and then I realized after getting on the middle of page 2 that all I had to do was remove the bolts on the right slingshot plastic that are responsible for holding the end of the long ramp in place. Reference pictures below:

RightPlasticScrews.jpg

The bolts that go in here are pretty much all you have to remove. From there, you can use a stubby philips head screwdriver and remove the two bolts holding the hard castle plastic in place. Once that's removed, you can clearly see the castle lock optos:

CastleBallLockOptos.jpg

I am pretty sure, per PinballLife's page, that the transmitters are the white components.

So right now my locks engage in the order 2 --> 1 --> 3, so I am going to switch the first two transmitters and see what happens. I'll keep everyone in the loop - should hopefully be done with this *gulp* soon!!

#1906 5 years ago

well I finally decided to fix up the coffin. I added alittle more black. came out good. joe

SAM_0330.JPG SAM_0333.JPG SAM_0352.JPG
#1907 5 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

well I finally decided to fix up the coffin. I added alittle more black. came out good. joe

Very cool!! So you did the stone then just some touches of black on top for effect? Looks great!

#1908 5 years ago

Got it!!! It was the main opto board underneath the PF. Replaced it with a HomePin unit, and all has been well - woohoo!!!

I'll post some pictures of the new board later this week. Man, am I glad that is fixed!

#1909 5 years ago

My BSD started having some issues today. It is doing some crazy stuff where it will not load the mist ball and start launching ball after ball into play. After one of these episodes it will play fine for a game then do it again. I was intermittently getting a "magnet load error" but the optos all seem to be functioning and all the switches seem to be working. thoughts?

#1910 5 years ago

hi ao, the stone paint was a little light color for me so I gave a mist coat of flat black.then I a little darker around the opening. joe

#1911 5 years ago

Hi joe2012, do you have any more pictures of it close up installed in the machine?

Axl

#1912 5 years ago

hi axl, I will take some better pics tonight. joe

SAM_0354.JPG
#1913 5 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

My BSD started having some issues today. It is doing some crazy stuff where it will not load the mist ball and start launching ball after ball into play. After one of these episodes it will play fine for a game then do it again. I was intermittently getting a "magnet load error" but the optos all seem to be functioning and all the switches seem to be working. thoughts?

When starting a game it will launch two balls instead of one the first time? Does the lift ramp work at all? Have you run through magnet test?

#1914 5 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

hi ao, the stone paint was a little light color for me so I gave a mist coat of flat black.then I a little darker around the opening. joe

Joe, that looks really good. Great idea. Your skill as a cameraman isn't quite on par though.

Edit:
Also makes me want to try it and pull the tombstone piece out that surrounds the lights, dremel out the cross, paint it to match and lay a piece of tint across the back, and put an LED back there so that it lights up from the back.

#1915 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

When starting a game it will launch two balls instead of one the first time? Does the lift ramp work at all? Have you run through magnet test?

Games seem to start fine.. I am pretty sure things don't get strange till after mist ball does it's thing.

Ya, lift ramp works, but when it does it's freak out it does not load the mist ball until it launches all the balls an eventually ends the ball

It runs through the magnet test fine.

#1916 5 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Games seem to start fine.. I am pretty sure things don't get strange till after mist ball does it's thing.
Ya, lift ramp works, but when it does it's freak out it does not load the mist ball until it launches all the balls an eventually ends the ball
It runs through the magnet test fine.

Sounds like a trough switch is sticking, or maybe your shooter lane switch.

#1917 5 years ago

I will investigate later those switches later. thanks.

#1918 5 years ago

axl,these pics are for you. the coffin is darker than in the pic.
nos, I hope these are more to your liking. post pics of your idea with the tombstone. joe

P9100154.JPG P9100153.JPG P9100152.JPG P9100149.JPG
#1919 5 years ago

more,i can't take good pics unless it's tits

P9100148.JPG P9100147.JPG
#1920 5 years ago

you inspired me to mod my coffin too.
blurry-1.jpg

#1921 5 years ago

OH BOY another wise ass. joe

#1922 5 years ago

just for fun.

#1923 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Thanks for the help guys!
I totally forgot to introduce my BSD!

Bout this at a very good price, and the owner has been taking good care of it.
From what i can see, there is little to no wear.

This game is perfect im my collection, a really brutal ,fast, and unpredictable.
There is a couple of small things i need to fix with it, and of course i`m going to
give it the blue moon treatment with LEDs and so on.
Then i can say, in the wise words of Tobias Fünke, "I just blue myself"
» YouTube video
This last picture explains better what i ment with the coffin ramp.

Axl

bilde-9.JPG 208 KB

bilde-8.JPG 158 KB

bilde-11.JPG 222 KB

bilde-10.JPG 139 KB

Your Mina plastic on the pop bumper is upside down.

#1924 5 years ago

Tvbenk, i fixed it when I discovered that it was an abomination to all BSD owners out there..

Thanks for the pictures of the coffin Joe2012. The pictures look a bit sesquach ish
But it looks good, and i really like the idea!

Axl

#1925 5 years ago

Well, I played about 6-7 games tonight, and finally I got to thoroughly enjoy BSD with only one hiccup - the left gate for mist multiball doesn't go up enough for the ball to enter the left holding cell if you miss it passing across the PF.

I have a brand new spring, and that didn't help anything. It seems as if the spring needs to be shorter as it is not lifting the left gate highly enough. We'll get to that soon enough...

It was nice to finally play and have all the multiballs behaving as they should. Took a good 1.5 months to get to this point with only getting to work on it a day here and there each week, but we're nearly home free!

Such an adrenaline rush of a game.

#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Well, I played about 6-7 games tonight, and finally I got to thoroughly enjoy BSD with only one hiccup - the left gate for mist multiball doesn't go up enough for the ball to enter the left holding cell if you miss it passing across the PF.
I have a brand new spring, and that didn't help anything. It seems as if the spring needs to be shorter as it is not lifting the left gate highly enough. We'll get to that soon enough...
It was nice to finally play and have all the multiballs behaving as they should. Took a good 1.5 months to get to this point with only getting to work on it a day here and there each week, but we're nearly home free!

Make sure the bracket is installed on top of the plastic. Make sure the gate has not become magnetized. It should NOT stick to a magnet. If the wire gate is not original, bend the arm forward a hair rather than deforming the spring.

#1927 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Make sure the bracket is installed on top of the plastic.

Did that, only made it worse D: ...

Quoted from aobrien5:

Make sure the gate has not become magnetized. It should NOT stick to a magnet.

I'll check that next!

Quoted from aobrien5:

If the wire gate is not original, bend the arm forward a hair rather than deforming the spring.

The gate is original, hence, why I'd mess with the spring first as we know the left gate is No Longer Available (NLA). I have a backup spring/spare in case I boo boo it up.

The gate DID used to work, but man, that ball just barrrrrrrrrrrrrreeellly made it in there.

#1928 5 years ago

The ball should just barely make it, to the point where the ball actually pushes the gate up as it goes underneath. It should definitely be on top of the plastic. If its that close i don't see how that would make it worse.

#1929 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I had the same problem you did awhile ago. I thought it was the spring as did the guy I bought it from. My problem I think is rooted to the magnet not having enough ompf to pull it all the way in.

"I got it working now. I bent the hook in that holds the lever the magnet pulls in a little bit. I am guessing that the magnet has weakened some and was having difficulty pulling the lever in. I was trying to compensate for this by bending the actuator arm instead of fixing why the magnet was having problems pulling the actuator arm. Now the game works 100%."

#1930 5 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

you inspired me to mod my coffin too.

blurry-1.jpg 8 KB

I actually laughed outloud when I saw that. That's some funny stuff right there, I don't care who you are.

Dave

#1931 5 years ago

I traded my TZ for this machine, plus some cash. Very happy to own a BSD!

#1932 5 years ago

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I just joined the club. So stoked.

#1933 5 years ago

i just want to mention , many of my pins have come and gone , but drac will not , has not gone any where. love my new sterns alot , to me drac holds up to them perfectly !

#1934 5 years ago

Welcome new members! Lots of great modding and tech info in this thread.

#1935 5 years ago

Joined... That blurry photo made me bust out laughing

#1936 5 years ago

Can't seem to remove this one. I see that there is a washer there that might be causing the ramp to be tilted too much causing the ball to roll down ( as well as I am missing the clear plastic on top of the ramp, but that one is in the mail.)
Any suggestions?

Axlimage.jpg

#1937 5 years ago

^^^ Yes, wait for the plastic cover to come in . That's a lot of work for one washer, but hey, you are dedicated!

#1938 5 years ago

I am knee deep in it now anyway...

#1939 5 years ago

Has anybody else done the Black and White mod?

image-589.jpgimage.jpg

#1940 5 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

The game shipped and was designed to have white rubber. Red flipper bats (full sized) with black flipper rubbers.

Is that true?? Why does everybody swear by the lightenings on this machine then? Just curious. I don't have mine yet. I would think that a notoriously difficult game doesn't need to made MORE difficult, unless the aim is to collect more quarters.

I fell in love with this machine by playing it at Modern Pinball NYC, and TPF. One had regular flippers, and one had lightening. I didn't notice a huge difficulty difference. It's interesting to hear that the game was intended to have regular flippers. I was under the impression that the lightening bats were the original on this machine.

#1941 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Is that true?? Why does everybody swear by the lightenings on this machine then? Just curious. I don't have mine yet. I would think that a notoriously difficult game doesn't need to made MORE difficult, unless the aim is to collect more quarters.
I fell in love with this machine by playing it at Modern Pinball NYC, and TPF. One had regular flippers, and one had lightening. I didn't notice a huge difficulty difference. It's interesting to hear that the game was intended to have regular flippers. I was under the impression that the lightening bats were the original on this machine.

It is true. The game is known for being difficult, partly because of the lighting flippers, so people don't want to make it easier. Other people, like MXV would rather have it as the designer intended. To each his own.

Edit: lightning flippers were designed specifically for eating more quarters.

#1942 5 years ago

I need some help with my BSD. When it starts 'Bats Mode', the Castle Lock will let out 2 balls instead of 1. It's not in a multiball mode, just Bats. When I let one of the balls drain, the game doesn't recognize it until the 2nd ball is drained as well.

Also, the Rats outhole fires out randomly every time. Sometimes on top of the right slingshot, sometimes to the right flipper, or even SDTM.

Where to start? Any help would be appreciated! I love this game and look forward to working on it.

#1943 5 years ago

Hey guys new owner of BSD as of last week!! Super pumped! First post but long time lurker. I've learned tons from this awesome forum! Anyway I've got my BSD pretty dialed in I think. One issue that I can't figure out though is the ball plunge sound is intermittent. Ya know, the scream/jet engine sound upon firing the ball haha. It works about 30-40 percent of the time. I LOVE this game and especially the theme. Any ideas? Thanks!

#1944 5 years ago
Quoted from AJNada:

I need some help with my BSD. When it starts 'Bats Mode', the Castle Lock will let out 2 balls instead of 1. It's not in a multiball mode, just Bats. When I let one of the balls drain, the game doesn't recognize it until the 2nd ball is drained as well.
Also, the Rats outhole fires out randomly every time. Sometimes on top of the right slingshot, sometimes to the right flipper, or even SDTM.
Where to start? Any help would be appreciated! I love this game and look forward to working on it.

Go into switch test mode. Have all 3 balls in hand, and roll them down the castle lock habit trail one at a time, taking note as to the order of the castle locks engaged. It should be 1 --> 2 --> 3. Let us know if the order is correct.

#1945 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Go into switch test mode. Have all 3 balls in hand, and roll them down the castle lock habit trail one at a time, taking note as to the order of the castle locks engaged. It should be 1 --> 2 --> 3. Let us know if the order is correct.

Also make sure the ramp (wireform) that holds the locks up is tightly secured to the lower playfield below. If that screw is loose, it was cause two balls to release.

Quoted from AJNada:

Remove it and clean it thoroughly. Make sure the metal where the balls sits before it's ejected isn't bent down or not square in any way. Look for cracks or breaks in welds.

#1946 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

One issue that I can't figure out though is the ball plunge sound is intermittent. Ya know, the scream/jet engine sound upon firing the ball haha. It works about 30-40 percent of the time.

Put it into switch test and test the shooter lane switch with a ball or your finger. You may need to adjust the actuator or replace the switch if it's intermittent. That switch opening (when the ball is launched) is what triggers the sound clip.

#1947 5 years ago

Joined the club few days ago on a sweet pickup neededsome love but its really nice overall. I need the plastic shroud thats behind the casket that covers the bulb housing and wires. Or a pic of it off maybe can make something if nobody has one.thax and its such a amazing game all around and see why its gotten so much attention the last few years .

#1948 5 years ago

Phishrace, awesome thanks that's what I kind of thought. I tested the shooter lane switch (with finger and a ball) in switch edge test and it works fine. Is it possible that it would still be flaky and not trigger the sound clip? I also sometimes get a switch 41 (ball trough) error. It appears the balls aren't rolling across the trough switches like they should sometimes. Could that contribute to the shooter lane switch problem maybe? Thanks everyone!

#1949 5 years ago
Quoted from AJNada:

I had the same issue with my castle lock. If you look at the shaft that holds the balls in the castle lock it needs to be in the center of the wire ramp. If it is off to the side at all the balls will roll past every time. Anyway, simple fix just loosen up the nut (if it isn't already) that holds the wire ramp in place and slide the whole thing "up" until the solenoid shaft is centered again.

#1950 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Is that true?? Why does everybody swear by the lightenings on this machine then? Just curious.

It was designed with regular flippers in mind, then shipped with lightening is my understanding. I have never heard of any shipping with regular flippers. These abominations were a short stint for b/w in 1992/1993.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
Nanuet, NY
$ 5.00
There are 7014 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 141.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside