Topic Stats

• 7,064 posts
  • 581 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by hawknole
  • Topic is favorited by 225 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,163 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191201_152342 (resized).jpg
60CB2AC9-FB91-4FF5-BF21-2F0FDEA4EF08 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
3FCBDE80-5B20-4A0E-83E1-7E2F656F7D3D (resized).jpeg
07EB1F94-8220-49F1-827C-7D4F7055A033 (resized).png
45b57485-6e3c-43a4-a4a3-99d7e1b9310b.jpg
IMG_1184 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0426 (resized).JPEG
6A1B4B38-F3E8-4A39-A314-3CC6AB7CA6B2 (resized).jpeg
BB8D3338-DC72-453A-88D0-B443CEA784A8 (resized).jpeg
FB7F8BCC-4D6E-429B-8902-8E0640006127 (resized).jpeg
C3CC27C2-5CC4-4CA2-8E5F-A22E8855EBB5 (resized).jpeg
88F4B865-9ABC-4878-A4AB-1AF4A23A2738 (resized).jpeg
27B043C3-0E4B-44D0-AE57-49621BE2B5F9 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

31 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7064 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 142.
#1851 5 years ago

So, I picked out the speakers I will be picking up tomorrow at Parts Express for BSD. For those interested:

5.25": http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pl53bl-blue-label-5-1-4-triaxial-speaker-pair--267-080

3.5": http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-wave-plx32-3-1-2-coaxial-speaker-pair--267-770

I'm not talented enough yet to cut out the smaller hole and enlarge it to 5.25" for matching pairs - yet ....

The wifey went ahead and started applying reds to the coin door and the left side of the machine. I caught her off guard and managed this one picture before I was chased down D: ...

Picture 126.jpg

#1852 5 years ago

I did make a tiny bit of progress on the "mini multiball" issue.

The mini multiball is whenever a castle lock ball occurs, the game will put a ball into the shooter lane. Once the ball is shot, the games then unlocks the "castle lock ball" and auto fires it into the game, starting a mini multiball. Once a ball drains, it does NOT prematurely end the game.

So here's what I noticed: if I have coffin multiball (dont know about mist multiball yet) active and I lock a castle lock ball, it quickly unlocks the castle lock ball and auto plunges it. It does NOT lock the castle lock ball and spit a ball from the trough into the shooter lane and autofire it; it just sends the castle lock ball through and auto fires it onto the PF.

So basically, whenever coffin multiball is active, no "mini multiball" issue.

Small progress, but it is what it is. I open the floor to everyone as to their thoughts on this.

#1853 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I did make a tiny bit of progress on the "mini multiball" issue.
The mini multiball is whenever a castle lock ball occurs, the game will put a ball into the shooter lane. Once the ball is shot, the games then unlocks the "castle lock ball" and auto fires it into the game, starting a mini multiball. Once a ball drains, it does NOT prematurely end the game.
So here's what I noticed: if I have coffin multiball (dont know about mist multiball yet) active and I lock a castle lock ball, it quickly unlocks the castle lock ball and auto plunges it. It does NOT lock the castle lock ball and spit a ball from the trough into the shooter lane and autofire it; it just sends the castle lock ball through and auto fires it onto the PF.
So basically, whenever coffin multiball is active, no "mini multiball" issue.
Small progress, but it is what it is. I open the floor to everyone as to their thoughts on this.

The is a trough issue for sure. Main trough or castle trough.

Clean optos. Chech that every switch registers firmly and correctly.

#1854 5 years ago

Didn't we determine you had trough switch issues when balls were draining into the trough? You had one switch (#2?) flickering sometimes?

#1855 5 years ago

Hey AO,

Yes, we had narrowed it down to those two options - neither of which I have gotten to yet. I know when I get to taking ramps and castle plastics off, I'll be adding Cliffys on the PF at the Alter scoop and Mystery hole as well and one thing will lead to another to another to another...

After this last weekend, I do know switch #3 or #4 is sticking as I took the apron off while the game was being finicky, and a ball was just resting on one of the switch triggers halfway; it was NOT rolling over and triggering the switch properly.

Basically, I know when I get to the optos, I'll have the machine decently taken apart and it may stay down for a good solid couple days, so I'm just adding additional info as I get closer to doing that "minor" shop job =/...

Needless to say, this BSD needed lots of love. Wait'll I get a good picture of the cabinet separation near the coin door; you guys will love that!

#1856 5 years ago

yikes dude! You should definitely concentrate on the trough switches before messing with the optos. They're sooo much easier to get to!

#1857 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

yikes dude! You should definitely concentrate on the trough switches before messing with the optos. They're sooo much easier to get to!

What he says

Plus focus on one thing at a time, so you actualy know what fixed it in the end FOCUS! (sorry that's from CftBL)

#1858 5 years ago

You guys are dead on correct.

My father once taught me just that: modify one thing at a time. That way if anything weird happens, you can go right back to the one and only thing you messed with.

So, the trough switches on this game = weird setup. The switches partially overlap each other; and therefore, the mounting screws overlap a tiny bit too and are a bit tough to access. It's doable, but it sure looks like a "test of patience".

Any tricks/tips as to how you guys got to each switch mounting screw...or did you just take your time?

#1859 5 years ago

Got my first triple multiball on my BSD just now!!!!!!!!! 1.17 billion - man, what a rush that was. Mist --> Coffin --> Castle in that order. Was able to collect one castle jackpot and finished coffin multiball. I think coffin was about 86 million; I don't remember. I was too busy having a great time playing the game!!!

The diverter is starting to behave as it should, so I'm going to continue playing the game and see if it "worked itself out". If not, well, there's always the weekend.

Going to continue to clean up the pinball room as I started a major cleaning overhaul lastnight that hopefully I can put most the finishing touches on tonight. Also, installed new Pyle speakers in BSD and HS2. Wifey has the camera, so I'll post pictures later.

Thirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty million!!!!!

#1860 5 years ago

Nice dude! Try to concentrate on castle jacks, they're worth more... But harder!
Don't know about the switches, I'll have to check.

#1861 5 years ago

So, I installed way better speakers tonight in BSD.

Here are the speakers I installed - each in BSD and HS2.

I'm not brave enough to cut the hole for two 5.25" speakers - no way.

5.25" : http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pl53bl-blue-label-5-1-4-triaxial-speaker-pair--267-080
3.5" : http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-wave-plx32-3-1-2-coaxial-speaker-pair--267-770

The 5.25" are a direct plug and play. For the 3.5s, you'll have to drill 2 very small holes, and then use a hexnut screw to hold them in place - 1 on each side ..each 180 apart.

Quick pictures. Sorry that the pictures are from HS2; I didn't take any pictures of BSD. I was flying to get both done so I could play that fateful 3x multiball game .

Speakers002-944.jpgSpeakers003-366.jpgSpeakers004-167.jpgSpeakers005-125.jpgSpeakers006-237.jpgSpeakers007-468.jpg

After that, ordered more parts from Marco. While getting part orders ready, Lil' Miss had enough of being ignored and let me know about it.

Speakers019.jpgSpeakers020.jpg

#1863 5 years ago

I may be going to check out a BSD this weekend. Pics look great and the guy has been really helpful and friendly about it, but a few things I want to get some impressions on for those of you have have and know this game:

- Cab is entirely faded - that seems to be the norm. Is that an easy recolor? Thinking of masking and airbrushing the white red.

- Shown in the picture is the insert wear - how easy/hard is this sort of thing to fix? I have no problem trying to do some touchup work, but I've never done it before.

- Anything specific I need to look at to make sure the game is in full working order?

wear.JPG
#1864 5 years ago

Ouch, if the game is that worn there, what's it look like where the ball drops, up by V I D E O where the wear seems to most typically be?

#1865 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Ouch, if the game is that worn there, what's it look like where the ball drops, up by V I D E O where the wear seems to most typically be?

Do not have a picture of that...I could ask for one, though.

#1866 5 years ago

Wish someone made the left gate for this game.

#1867 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Do not have a picture of that...I could ask for one, though.

Personally I would, because it's typically the area with the most wear. I'm new to BSD (and pinball in general), but I don't think I've seen that kind of wear in that spot before. Maybe someone else can chime in on if that's common or not. My game has paint loss up near VIDEO where the ball drops, to the point where it almost looks like someone took an eraser to it, but none in the area that one does.
Just made me wonder if what happened in your pic is a freak occurrence or if it's got wear all over. If you have some paint skills anything's fixable I suppose though. Especially if you get it for a steal.

#1868 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Personally I would, because it's typically the area with the most wear. I'm new to BSD (and pinball in general), but I don't think I've seen that kind of wear in that spot before. Maybe someone else can chime in on if that's common or not. My game has paint loss up near VIDEO where the ball drops, to the point where it almost looks like someone took an eraser to it, but none in the area that one does.
Just made me wonder if what happened in your pic is a freak occurrence or if it's got wear all over. If you have some paint skills anything's fixable I suppose though. Especially if you get it for a steal.

Full disclosure - it's one of trimoto's games. I'm going to chat with him more tonight. I know a while back he mentioned having a few reimports that he picked up, but I don't THINK this is one of them (he would have told me if so I imagine). I'll get some pics of all the inserts to determine the wear. His price is not a steal by any means, but it's a pretty fair price. If there is bad insert wear in other locations, I'll make him a fair offer and see where it goes.

I'm not in a rush to pick up a game, so I'm fine waiting for the right deal to pop up, too.

#1869 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I may be going to check out a BSD this weekend. Pics look great and the guy has been really helpful and friendly about it, but a few things I want to get some impressions on for those of you have have and know this game:
- Cab is entirely faded - that seems to be the norm. Is that an easy recolor? Thinking of masking and airbrushing the white red.
- Shown in the picture is the insert wear - how easy/hard is this sort of thing to fix? I have no problem trying to do some touchup work, but I've never done it before.
- Anything specific I need to look at to make sure the game is in full working order?
wear.JPG 76 KB

Pics look great ..., perhaps the pictures themselves but what it's showing does not look that promising.
That is heavy wear, particular in that area.

About the decals, you can color them just fine, or wait till decals for it show up on ebay.

Think you really must look into planking on this machine, that would be the area above the picture where the wear is showing. Look for long lines with cracked paint, usualy the fine lines look white. That would be a bad sign.

Stay objective, i know it's hard when it's a machine you want, but keep in mind what sort of machine you want for the long run ....

#1870 5 years ago

FYI, don't let the fade bug you, scroll up and you'll see how it can be done with a paint pen. Or open up the checkbook a bit more, there's a full set on eBay right now starting at $125.

#1871 5 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Pics look great ..., perhaps the pictures themselves but what it's showing does not look that promising.
That is heavy wear, particular in that area.
About the decals, you can color them just fine, or wait till decals for it show up on ebay.
Think you really must look into planking on this machine, that would be the area above the picture where the wear is showing. Look for long lines with cracked paint, usualy the fine lines look white. That would be a bad sign.
Stay objective, i know it's hard when it's a machine you want, but keep in mind what sort of machine you want for the long run ....

Thanks - yeah, these are things that I'm not fully aware of, so objective review will be necessary. However, as many pics as I can coax out of him before we settle on a date would make the trip more worth it for me.

#1872 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Wish someone made the left gate for this game.

Agreed. I made several attempts at making my own. Got a pretty good one, then lucked into a true replacement. You can make your own, just may take a few tries.

I had a thread on here a while ago about it. Search it out, or I can try to give you a hand.

#1873 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

FYI, don't let the fade bug you, scroll up and you'll see how it can be done with a paint pen. Or open up the checkbook a bit more, there's a full set on eBay right now starting at $125.

Just to keep it clear: those decals were not on eBay when I experimented with the pens. I can guarantee you I would MUCH rather install new decals. The reds have come out pretty well overall; I am pleased with how they look.

I never have installed decals. It is my understanding it's no "walk in the park". Anyone confirm/deny with some experience on this?

#1874 5 years ago

Fade doesn't bother me at all really. Its the insert wear I'm concerned about.

#1875 5 years ago

Woo hoo - 30 millions again!!!!! Never gets old.

Nicoga - in response to your question about what to look for:

Run the magnet test under "Tests" --> hit the volume down button one time to get straight to the magnet test. Make sure that works 100% - let it do one full loop of all actions. The initial action will be for it to let go of the ball in the right mist gate trough area. If it does everything and loops back to that initial action without a single problem = great.

Play the game, make sure every single coil works. Make sure the diverter works on the left ramp for bats (3 loops) and castle lock (7 loops). You should physically see and maybe hear the diverter go down, and the round green light in the back should be lit, signaling the diverter is active.

Make sure the castle locks do just that - LOCK the ball. After a castle lock, if you plunge the shooter lane ball, and then the castle lock ball gets unlocked for an inadvertent "mini multiball", there's either an opto or trough switch being weird (what I am dealing with right now).

I'll think of more in a bit. Re-read this thread; it will give you a LOT of insight as to what to look for.

#1876 5 years ago

Thanks for the info!

However, the guy decided to sell locally. No biggie...I'll find one eventually! The one that just popped up FS is great, but WAY out of my price range for this title.

#1878 5 years ago

Go back a page and do my LND mod if you really want to make it look pretty.

#1879 5 years ago

I did see that.. very nice.

#1880 5 years ago

So, I finally got back to slowly working on BSD today. Diverter seems to be working great. Changed out a couple coil sleeves just to be safe as God only knows how old they were. Adjusted my left gate a tiny bit as it was prematurely closing on the mist ball going from R to L and inadvertently awarding me with Mist Multiball even though I didn't earn it. Installed some small new hardware - just a couple bolts here and there.

Picture 128.jpg
Home sweet home.

Picture 129.jpg
My left gate was shutting on the mist ball, so I reflowed the solder on the coil lugs. So far, so good.

Picture 130.jpg
Quick reference picture as to the position of the disappearing post for caste locks. I changed its coil sleeve as well as the ball launcher and outlane clearing coil sleeves.

Picture 131.jpg

Couple new bolts installed as well as a new coil sleeve. Note the outlane clearing coil above that is just out of the camera's eye. Notice how the wires lead to the top - where a metal apron is going to be installed... yeah, going to get a nice lil' "buzz" everytime I try to install that metal apron...

Moral of the story - keep an eye out for the lil' details. Thankfully, that didn't short circuit anything but me - could have been a lot worse....

Started investigating my "mini multiball" problem. I found something. Watch the video for the answer to what I think the problem has been....

#1881 5 years ago

"Started investigating my "mini multiball" problem. I found something. Watch the video for the answer to what I think the problem has been...."

Freaking brilliant. Nice find.

#1882 5 years ago

Thanks, AO. I sure am looking forward to rearranging the optos in the correct order. I was like "Whhhhhaaaaaaattt????" when I first saw the order was wrong, but at the same time relieved. If that is all it is, that was way easier than I expected.

Now, I just need to see if I work from underneath the PF, or do I have to do this from above. I am betting it has to be done from above, meaning the left ramp has to come out. If so, no biggie, I have the "shop procedure" pdf someone wrote a while back. It'll be my first time removing the left ramp, so I'll go slow and take my time, but I have the confidence to do it - for now...... .

#1883 5 years ago

Yeah, above. You may be able to get the castle off without completely removing the ramp. I'm pretty sure that's all you need. You also probably only need to move the receiver.

Edit: then again, maybe you'll get lucky and they're plugged into the board individually, but I doubt it.

#1884 5 years ago

Can anyone provide me a good photo of the left gate assembly near the left side of the long opto? Lately, my left gate is not opening tall enough for the mist ball to get in the left pocket if missed by the ball in play. I want to determine what needs to be tweaked. I reflowed the solder to the coil; those connections are good. The opto board is a brand spankin new one from Homepin, so I know that's good. I am getting resistance at the coil on my DMM, so I know that's good. Brand new spring linking the metal plate to the ball gate assembly too.

I am darn sure it's mechanical at this point. Since the left gate is NLA, I would rather tweak the spring before starting to bend the gate all around to take out the slack in the spring.

I've noticed that when the right gate activates, the coil makes a very solid "pop", but when the left gate is activated, the coil is almost silent - is that the way it is supposed to be? Maybe it's an indicator that the left coil is not pulling strongly enough?

If anyone has a reference picture(s) of a perfectly working assembly, that'd be great - thanks!

#1885 5 years ago

I have had a dracula for a month or so, unfortunately the left ramp entrance is broken on the right side, nearest the mystery scoop. The ramp has the metal guide on the left side with the strange boomerang piece going up but no guide on the right side were the plastic has been broken. Was there originally a metal guide on the right side also? If I could get that ramp guide it would cover the problem area and prevent future damage. I have not been able to locate an exact one if there is one. I was thinking of getting a few cheap guides from marco and modifying them to make them work. I have seen many pictures with guides in that place but they are not all the same. Does anyone have an extra one or a part number? Thanks for any help.

#1886 5 years ago

NewPin: sound of coils are normal. They are different mechanisms. Make sure your left gate isn't magnetic! Especially if it's silver in color. It was originally brass colored. Make sure the bracket is mounted above the plastic as well. I have pics and a vid around here somewhere.

Off-Kilter: the right side of that ramp did not come with a protector. It shouldn't really need one because of the post in front of it. Hopefully you can make one from Marco work for you.

#1887 5 years ago

I just got one of the dracula flyers off ebay and it shows a metal ramp guide on the right side of the left ramp, I wish I could get one of those somehow. It looks like some MacGyvering will be needed.

#1888 5 years ago
Quoted from Off-Kilter:

I just got one of the dracula flyers off ebay and it shows a metal ramp guide on the right side of the left ramp, I wish I could get one of those somehow. It looks like some MacGyvering will be needed.

My apologies. You're right, and mine does actually have one. Looks like part number: 01-11189-R "Ramp Protector Brkt."

Edit: aka - "guard-brkt ramp right" - probably still going to be very difficult to find unless you know someone parting one out.

#1889 5 years ago

Now up on Ebay. BSD repro plastic sets.

ebay.com link

If any Pinsiders need them, price is $170 shipped with personal check and $175 shipped using Paypal. Send me a PM if you need details.

I will say again, when these are gone, they're gone. If you need a set, I'd get them NOW!!

#1890 5 years ago

Picked up BSD recently. Haven't been into toppers in a while, but felt compelled to mount this one.

20140822_172654_resized.jpg 20140816_113833_resized.jpg
#1891 5 years ago

Hi,

The sound on my machine is normal, but all the voices a insanely loud.
The audio content feels very unbalanced.
Is this only with my BSD, or with all of them?

Question number 2,

Where can I get the coffin ramp thingy?
50% of the time the ball won't go up...

Axl

#1892 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Hi,
The sound on my machine is normal, but all the voices a insanely loud.
The audio content feels very unbalanced.
Is this only with my BSD, or with all of them?
Question number 2,
Axl

1) There is an option that will raise the volume for a couple events, like multiball and when a ball save occurs. You can turn that off to normalize the volume.
2) There are three pegs that are slightly different lengths, if they are installed incorrectly for coffin ramp it will deny most shots. There should be clarification of those pegs in this thread.

#1893 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I assume you're talking about the clear plastic that is supposed to cover the ramp. You can buy a full set of replacement plastics from Bryan Kelly or PPS, you can try to make your own, or you can beg plead and offer to pay the guy who made a couple for other members a couple pages back in this thread.

#1894 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Question number 2,
Axl

You might want to clarify this a bit. "Thingy" is a bit ambiguous as that could mean - well - anything.

I am going to assume you meant this:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/213513987

Once you install the clear plastic shield above the entrance of the coffin ramp, the ball will travel up the ramp every 99 of 100 tries. Every now and then it won't simply if there's not enough momentum for the ball to make it up and all the way around.

#1895 5 years ago

Thanks for the help guys!

I totally forgot to introduce my BSD!

bilde-11.JPG

Bout this at a very good price, and the owner has been taking good care of it.
From what i can see, there is little to no wear.

bilde-9.JPG

bilde-10.JPG

This game is perfect im my collection, a really brutal ,fast, and unpredictable.
There is a couple of small things i need to fix with it, and of course i`m going to
give it the blue moon treatment with LEDs and so on.
Then i can say, in the wise words of Tobias Fünke, "I just blue myself"

This last picture explains better what i ment with the coffin ramp.

bilde-8.JPG

Axl

#1896 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

More easy installs - 4 new pinballs and PinballCard.com's custom apron cards.

Picture 068.jpg 205 KB

Jumping back to these - I never realized how wrong the original instruction cards were! That's where Aurium (?) is getting his text from, which makes sense, until you realize they're wrong. FWIW, JP also has incorrect instructions on the original cards.

#1897 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

This last picture explains better what i ment with the coffin ramp.

Congrats on your pickup!

This is the picture you want to show for your Coffin Ramp:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bram-stokers-dracula-clubmembers-only/page/35#post-1777536

#1898 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Jumping back to these - I never realized how wrong the original instruction cards were! That's where Aurium (?) is getting his text from, which makes sense, until you realize they're wrong. FWIW, JP also has incorrect instructions on the original cards.

I know, right ? The cards look so great though I didn't mind. It's honestly kind of cool the error "carried over" to the new cards to me.

Let's be honest - pretty much only pinball players or masochists play BSD, so the rule cards serve no purpose to me except decoration. I never look at them; I just think he did a fantastic job with his own personal touch, and... well, yeah I like them

Axl, yeah dude, get the clear plastic for your coffin ramp. That is practically mandatory. Game looks great! Where did you get it from (what state) ? Congrats and welcome to the club...er.....Carpathians .

#1899 5 years ago

NewPinOwner, i will get them, with the game as it plays now it is just frustrating.

Got the game from a guy who had stored it in his basment for 3 years.
And by the looks of it, it haven`t seen much action before that.
There is mylar on all the wear spots that looks to be the ones you could buy.

I am feeling very lucky about this one!
I am going to do some modding on it, with LEDs and LED strips.
Paint the plastic models
Get rid of Ron Jeremy, the usual…

#1900 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Thanks for the help guys!
I totally forgot to introduce my BSD!

Congrats on a nice looking Drac !
(the cover on your pop-bumper is upside down )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 7064 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 142.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside