Topic Stats

• 7,015 posts
  • 578 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Robertstone0407
  • Topic is favorited by 226 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,141 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8091CD4E-F40C-44F6-AAC3-DF283CAA6280 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
3C89B6CA-28E3-4013-8E6E-72EE7CCC988F (resized).jpeg
8C00CCB6-8A67-4BBB-A104-6366F8E6019E (resized).jpeg
439BE6FC-3666-4209-AB8F-3E4BE5C0B1FF (resized).jpeg
C1F6CF74-5684-4AE9-BF5D-7E3F3981D6E6 (resized).jpeg
Werewolf (resized).jpg
4EDF2BD0-853A-4FB6-A74D-C0701A6BCBC3 (resized).png
1EDAA745-6DF1-4167-82F7-CC054A2C0047 (resized).jpeg
8B28A24F-1C10-4C4E-8879-29C23BEA0EFF (resized).jpeg
874A3D9A-FF2B-44F5-9083-8725ACE05143 (resized).jpeg
48A3B31E-B0E3-4184-A453-45837E71CB4F (resized).jpeg
69EACF70-F761-4A55-875A-0343D0BA22B5 (resized).jpeg
788A0E34-E214-4C55-9D81-5AA9167636BC (resized).jpeg
B6CDCDD2-6A2A-480C-8B95-8B3000F1AA53 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191028_184714560 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

31 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7015 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 141.
#1651 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

It registered dropping it in the mystery hole, but the left side magnet pocket the optos aren't registering.

Inspect that Mystery switch closely. It's the last switch on that column and it's the only non-opto switch on that column. One lug should have two green and black wires attached. One to the CPU, one to the opto board. (going by the manual, my game is on location)

I think you guys would do better posting problems in the tech section. It's hard to help folks in this thread when 2 or 3 problems are being posted about at the same time. Plus, there's some awesome techs out there that don't own a BSD, but are very familiar with WPC problems.

#1652 5 years ago

hi nos, do as phishrace say's start a thread on this problem. when my game started with opto problems I pulled the 10 opto board and reflowed the headers and push each wire into the idc. connectors. I still need to replace those connectors. g.l.joe

#1653 5 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

I have done some more research and I really think the I.C. 555 timer is the chip on the 24 opto board that sense how far the ball is away and opens the left gate. Can someone confirm if my guess is correct. Its like a $5 dollar chip so that would be a cheap fix.

Ok so the opto board schematic is actually in the regular manual that you can get on ipdb on page 3-24.

The timer is associated with a switch we've been forgetting - Ball on Magnet (82).

The solenoid itself on the fliptronics board is wired just like all the others (on q7). I don't see how it can't be related to that timer circuit.

1401925716040.jpg
#1654 5 years ago

I will definitely start a thread on it, I had hoped it would be a quick fix.

Ok, before I do please forgive my ignorance but you referred to the mystery switch as being the last one on the column. Uh, maybe I'm having an issue because I'm looking in the wrong place. I was looking under the playfield literally at the switch that gets tripped by the ball as it goes down the hole. Where is this column?

I hope one day this doesn't all seem like Greek to me.

Actually what I really hope is for the game to miraculously never need repair, but that seems unlikely.

#1655 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

I was looking under the playfield literally at the switch that gets tripped by the ball as it goes down the hole.

That's exactly what I was suggesting. Checking the connections to that switch.

Quoted from n0s4atu:

Where is this column?

The column can be seen in the switch matrix diagram in the manual on page 3-4. Columns listed on top (with wire colors), rows listed down the left side. If you don't have a manual, you can download one at the link below.

http://ipdb.org/search.pl

Quoted from n0s4atu:

Actually what I really hope is for the game to miraculously never need repair, but that seems unlikely.

Mine is on location and is extremely reliable. Yours may turn out the same.

#1656 5 years ago

@aobrien I am not quit sure I understand ur post. Are u saying the IC 555 controls the ball on magnet switch and I should replace that chip or are u saying just the ball on magnet switch needs adjusted/replaced

#1657 5 years ago

Just fyi when I took mist ball out during testing, using my hand I could open and,close switch 82 so that opto is working

#1658 5 years ago

Months and months after owning BSD I finally heard "30 Million!" and broke a billion! Granted, the triple MB happened on ball 5 and a billion happened on the extra ball after that, but I'll take it!

#1659 5 years ago

@aobrien I am not quit sure I understand ur post. Are u saying the IC 555 controls the ball on magnet switch and I should replace that chip or are u saying just the ball on magnet switch needs adjusted/replaced

The 555 is part of the Ball on Magnet circuit. I suspect it is what you're looking for, and the schematic should let you test it to see if the chip is bad. Does it have Continuity where it should? Ground where it should?

#1660 5 years ago
Quoted from gtown:

Months and months after owning BSD I finally heard "30 Million!" and broke a billion! Granted, the triple MB happened on ball 5 and a billion happened on the extra ball after that, but I'll take it!

Great sound, isn't it? Just wish I could hear it during a tournament...

#1661 5 years ago

I've been neglecting my BSD lately as soon after I bought I picked up a WWFRR that I've been playing a lot. Well last night I decided to give it a go and I am really glad I did. For whatever reason I was able to make all the shots that I usually miss. I got triple stacked multiball going on my second ball and seemed to keep it going forever. Kept hearing 30 million over and over, hit a castle jackpot and a double castle jackpot, was really a great game. Final score was just over 3 billion! To put this into perspective my previous high score was 750 million. I think I actually got jipped a little bit when video mode started during a multiball at one point which I think cost me an extra ball as well.

#1662 5 years ago

Well I purposely haven't played since my last monster game. Decided to give it another go tonight. 30 million, 39 million, 8(!) million. That's more like it!

#1663 5 years ago

Well i'm gettting there. Finally got a double multiball going with mist and coffin. 20 Million!!

Put up a 460 million game too. My best yet!

Bring on 30 million!!

Absolutely LOVING this game. So simple in design... no toys (sans mist ball). Just shooting for a high score. Brilliant game.

#1664 5 years ago

The sound on BSD to me is very mid range/tinty sounding. Has anyone here bought a speaker upgrade kit and if so is there noticeable difference?

#1665 5 years ago

The sound on BSD to me is very mid range/tinty sounding. Has anyone here bought a speaker upgrade kit and if so is there noticeable difference?

I have the pin pros speakers and sub and it makes a huge difference.. there is some great bass in the audio.

#1666 5 years ago

Good to know. I really want to improve the sound and didn't want to spend the $ and find that it still sounds similar to stock

#1667 5 years ago

I've been having a strange issue which I need to troubleshoot, which I think is caused by a trough switched. The game will not do a test when starting up, just a "bong" from the speakers. I think depending on how many balls are in the castle lock, the test will occur. This may also be related the ball save playing the animation / sound but not giving a ball save.

Also, when the mystery award gives Video mode Lit, the machine should drop the back target, correct?

Edit: Is there a manual for the generic WPC Fliptronics II boards? Something that has a bit more information than the Dracula specific schematics?

#1668 5 years ago

I am not sure I clearly understand your problem. Why would there be balls in the castle on start up? What test are you talking about? The machine will go mung mung mung press enter to enter test, in order to see errors. Do you have acid damage around your batteries? Weird stuff like that sounds like acid damage possibly? There are 2 manuals for the game an abbreviated and a full one. The full manual available in IMPD has a detailed schematic of the Fliptronics boards. Why are you needing info on Fliptronics is there issues with that too?

#1669 5 years ago

I am not sure I clearly understand your problem. Why would there be balls in the castle on start up? What test are you talking about? The machine will go mung mung mung press enter to enter test, in order to see errors. Do you have acid damage around your batteries? Weird stuff like that sounds like acid damage possibly? There are 2 manuals for the game an abbreviated and a full one. The full manual available in IMPD has a detailed schematic of the Fliptronics boards. Why are you needing info on Fliptronics is there issues with that too?

Balls stay in castle on start up because I do not have them being emptied between games. The test normally occured when I started up the machine (pop some solinoids, empty the ball from the right or left mist gate, reload a ball) but now it is a single "Bong" and nothing more, not the triple one with the error report. I have only had a mung mung mung error report come up from not pressing the left mist pocket switch often enough. There is no acid damage that I noticed and have replaced the batteries upon receipt, but I will check that tonight.

I do have the full dracula manual but I am kind of a completionist so if there is another manual I want it, just because it can't hurt to have too much information.

#1670 5 years ago

If you lock all 3 balls in the castle does the Multi ball start? Sounds like an opto is out in the castle, as after your game if a ball is in there is should eject it. So my guess is the machine does not sense balls in there, therefore does not eject them. Go into switch edge test and those 3 opto's in the castle should show as closed put a ball in there and see if they open as the ball passes through.

#1671 5 years ago

If you lock all 3 balls in the castle does the Multi ball start? Sounds like an opto is out in the castle, as after your game if a ball is in there is should eject it. So my guess is the machine does not sense balls in there, therefore does not eject them. Go into switch edge test and those 3 opto's in the castle should show as closed put a ball in there and see if they open as the ball passes through.

Multi balls start fine on 3 castle locks, but I have disabled the option to empty the castle lock after games. I think this will end up being an opto in the castle lock or it will be a trough switch. I know for certain that the "bong" occurs when there are 3 balls in trough and one in mist.

#1672 5 years ago

Do all your trough switches register properly in switch test?

#1673 5 years ago
Quoted from rudygulp42:

This may also be related the ball save playing the animation / sound but not giving a ball save.

This just happens sometimes. It's a known bug.

Quoted from rudygulp42:

Also, when the mystery award gives Video mode Lit, the machine should drop the back target, correct?

No, it has no way to do that automatically. Yeah, it's a little counterintuitive.

#1674 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Do all your trough switches register properly in switch test?

I will have to check them individually and report back. I really wanted to just throw the thoughts i'm having out there so I have an idea how to attack the problem.

I do know for sure that during the magnet test, all of the balls are appropriately tracked by the on screen diagram.

I really hope it is not the board, in the back of my mind it has been a worry of mine just because of the nature of errors.

And to add a bit more, I have had two four ball multiballs canceled after only 3 have drained, which is more reason to suspect the trough switches.

#1675 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

This just happens sometimes. It's a known bug.

No, it has no way to do that automatically. Yeah, it's a little counterintuitive.

This information is reassuring, thank you!

#1676 5 years ago

why would you disable the option to empty the castle? The bong always happens and does not mean there is a problem. The bong is just the machine starting. Are you thinking that the bong noise means something is wrong? In regards to the mystery giving video mode, i am 99% sure that when video mode is lit the target drops then once you get the ball into the hole it starts video mode. you play video mode then it kicks the ball out after you are done resuming play.

#1677 5 years ago

I've got my pin disbled too.

I get impatient after every game, waiting for any locked balls to drain, before starting a new one.

Having it disabled makes for a quicker new game.

#1678 5 years ago

@aobrien5 If when video mode is lit and the drop target is still up and you hit it that would mean you would have to make another shot up there to start video mode? If it stayed up and he hits the drop target, the target would just drop and the ball would bounce away and drain. I don't recall that happening? I thought it stayed up in that corner and then went into the a tunnell or got kick out some how. Funny how little things like that are hard to remember without having game in front of you.

#1679 5 years ago

John, how do you lock the balls the next game if they are already in there? Maybe thats why your not getting multiple multi balls all the time, b/c all your balls are stuck in the castle waiting to get out!

#1680 5 years ago

I just have had limited play on my new one and I have gotten it a bunch of times with mist / coffin combo and I suck

#1681 5 years ago

If when video mode is lit and the drop target is still up and you hit it that would mean you would have to make another shot up there to start video mode?

That's correct. The drop target is always supposed to reset unless video mode is lit. Typically, getting the last letter in video manually will drop the target and it will stay down. If you barely make the loop and it doesn't make it around to the target, you'll be in the same situation - knock the target down before being able to start it. Video mode will only start once it drops in the hole.

why would you disable the option to empty the castle?

Also saves some wear on the much battered ball drop if it doesn't have to launch each of those balls every time the game ends.

#1682 5 years ago

how do you lock the balls the next game if they are already in there?

It's smart enough to know when it's full, and if you put a 3rd ball up there for Castle Lock 1, it'll drop one out into the shooter lane rather than from the trough.

Quoted from rudygulp42:

And to add a bit more, I have had two four ball multiballs canceled after only 3 have drained, which is more reason to suspect the trough switches.

Also, like the ball saver, this just happens sometimes. If it happens too often, you definitely need to check the trough switches, and make sure the back flow gate (or whatever) is installed in the trough.

#1683 5 years ago

I hook up a powered sub to my BSD, coffin lock now shakes the room

#1684 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I hook up a powered sub to my BSD, coffin lock now shakes the room

I want to do that so bad...

#1685 5 years ago

John, how do you lock the balls the next game if they are already in there? Maybe thats why your not getting multiple multi balls all the time, b/c all your balls are stuck in the castle waiting to get out!

Dracula is an excellent counter.

Just drops one outta the lock if it needs one to go into play. It'll keep track of how many "should" be locked. This same scenario would occur if you're playing a 2 player game too I would think.

#1686 5 years ago

Thank you everyone for the input. Just to clarify, because I can be a bit dense, what SHOULD happen when the machine is turned on? I am under the impression that it should:
1) Kick out the mist
2) Fire some solinoids as a test (like maybe a dozenish based on memory)
3) reload the mist
4) good to go!

From previous posts, if the ball is in the left mist pocket it drops the ball down the center. I am under the impression that when it is in the right pocket, the gate opens and drops a ball before reloading a new one. That "Bong" i'm speaking of has probably been there the whole time during the start up, however now that none of the items 1 thru 3 I have listed are occuring upon start up for me, I only hear that.

#1687 5 years ago

When turned on, if mist ball is located on left, the mist will run and drop the ball half way, then reload it to the right.

Mine was firing solenoids like yours upon startup, but now it doesn't. I don't think it should be.

Run your trough switch test and make sure those are running correctly. If the game isn't seeing a ball there, it will fire the solenoids trying to kick out a ball that it thinks is lost.

#1688 5 years ago

The startup "bong" is normal and is telling you that the cpu is good to go.

If 1-3 aren't going off, then your pin is working correctly I'd say.

If you turn the game off while the mist ball is in the left pocket, upon turning on the game again, the ball will come out and drop half way, then reload into right.

#1689 5 years ago

You've got me thinking now if there is a bug in the game.

I'm wondering this:

Game is turned off while ball is in left mist pocket. Upon turning on pin again, mist ball comes out and drops like it should. However, doesn't the game count that mist ball in the total of balls? Cause generally when I turn off with the ball on the left, upon startup again, I think a ball search usually goes off. Shouldn't the game know that mist ball is coming down into the trough shortly?

#1690 5 years ago

Sounds like I need to start paying more attention when I turn the machine on.

As far as I'm concerned, if after it finishes booting I don't have a credit dot, all is well.

#1691 5 years ago

The coils firing at the beginning is a ball search. So if you fire up the machine and you are hearing all the coils fire, the CPU cannot find all 4 balls. It sounds like your game is working fine, what is the problems again you are worried about? I am having a real hard time following what you are looking to fix. It sound like your game is working fine and that you were confusing your game working correctly (b/c you didn't hear items 1-3 listed above) and only hearing the BONG correct? If there is anything else you specifically need help with repost it.

#1692 5 years ago

Kport: I believe his game is functioning as it should.

He is asking why a ball search is going off at the start up of the pin sometimes. Mine used to do this when I'd turn it off with the mist ball in the left pocket. Doesn't happen if mist ball is in the right pocket though.

I'm thinking the cpu isn't seeing the ball for counting purposes when it's left in the left pocket. Therefore, a ball search. May be a little bug we've discovered.

Can someone test this out to see if other pins do this? Turn the game off when mist ball is in left pocket. Then turn game back on and see if a ball search goes off.

I think sometimes this pin loses track of where balls are with the mist feature.

#1693 5 years ago

Thank you again everyone. The only problem I seem to have is the machine is no longer doing a ball search. I believe I have misinterpreted the ball search as being a normal occurance since it was happening from the time I received the machine, but now it is not.

#1694 5 years ago

In general, it's not a normal occurrence. But what I"m saying is that I believe there may be a bug (if that's what one would call it) when the ball is left in the left mist pocket upon powering on. I think for some reason the pin isn't counting that ball in it's total, therefore triggering a search.

This happened to me in the beginning too bc I never was hitting the mist ball when it came out. I"ve gotten better and the mist ball is generally in the right pocket.

Ok, no more of this thread for me today.

#1695 5 years ago

Yeah, left or right pocket, mine drains all locked balls and does a "ball search."

That's on power on. After a game it does not release locks.

#1696 5 years ago

Mine doesn't do a ball search, which I believe is correct.

Aobrien: I bet you have a trough switch needing adjustment.

#1697 5 years ago

I don't have any drain issues or other problems so I'll leave well enough alone for now.

#1698 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Yeah, left or right pocket, mine drains all locked balls and does a "ball search."
That's on power on. After a game it does not release locks.

Mine is not doing the ball search on power on. It will do the ball search only when exiting the menu.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

In general, it's not a normal occurrence. But what I"m saying is that I believe there may be a bug (if that's what one would call it) when the ball is left in the left mist pocket upon powering on. I think for some reason the pin isn't counting that ball in it's total, therefore triggering a search.
This happened to me in the beginning too bc I never was hitting the mist ball when it came out. I"ve gotten better and the mist ball is generally in the right pocket.
Ok, no more of this thread for me today.

I went out of my way last night to put a ball in the left pocket, power down the machine, then power back on... no search.

C'est la vie, the ball still rolls around and grants points!

#1699 5 years ago

I did the same thing rudygulp42, I put a ball in left pocket and it didn't do a ball search the first time, then I tried it again and it did do a ball search so I am under the assumption this game is just does what it wants!

#1700 5 years ago

I think porter has it. Just does whatever the hell it wants.

In the rulesheet, the author somewhat states this.. that the pin loses track sometimes of the balls.

Regardless, awesome game!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 5.00
There are 7015 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 141.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside