(Topic ID: 150905)

Brainstorming on Mfg friendliness: Troll Filtering?

By visi0n

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Troll Control - Where do you stand?”

• Don't sensor free speech, man 5 votes
      12%
    • Trolling is fun / Trolling it not a problem here 2 votes
      5%
    • Create curated zones for manufacturers/businesses, like Officially - Official threads w/ potentially op-influenced moderation 12 votes
      29%
    • The ignore feature solves this already for me 9 votes
      22%
    • Create a troll scoreboard - a wall of shame (or pride for some!) 3 votes
      7%
    • This is a lost cause, you cannot de-troll the internet 7 votes
      17%
    • Moderate more 4 votes
      10%
    • Eject repeat-offender troublemakers altogether 9 votes
      22%
    • Do nothing - everything is fine, why is this even a topic? 10 votes
      24%

(Multiple choice - 41 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rainforest-interactive-for-3rd-grade-3-728_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 8 years ago

Personally I find that people are already way too concerned about up and down voting, the internet should be a place that you speak your mind. Anything trying to restrict peoples ability to express their opinion is negative in nature. Sure idiots will stay stupid shit but the internet should still be a place you can freely voice your opinion. A mod can step in if people get really hateful, threatening or dangerous. People are way to concerned about causing offense, reading something online you don't agree with or like is a no harm no foul situation in my mind. People should not be shunned or silenced because someone may not like what they say.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

Words hurt ;(

Not sure if serious?

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't think that's what's going on here.
    Let's say someone is disgruntled with something JJP did. So, they go into all the JJP threads to put down the games, spread or start misinformation, inflame or start negative speculation, etc...
    In my opinion, they are just causing trouble and are not adding any value to the thread.
    I wouldn't have a problem if they went into every JJP thread and said, "I'm upset that JJP did this, so I'm not going to support them." At least it would be honest and their actual problem could be discussed instead of this passive aggressive way to get back at the company.
    It's not just with JJP, though they seem to have more grudge bearing people than the other companies. It's amazing how much trouble even one dedicated person can cause.

Both you and the person you disagree with have the same right to voice their opinion. There is no rule that you must add value. Words on the internet are not starting trouble its expressing an individuals freedom of speech in a safe and secure manner.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from chrisjens2:

I disagree. Having the option to block certain people from posting on your own thread would be very beneficial. There are certain people who go at it with one another just because of personal reasons which have nothing to do with the post. There are also certain people who have hatred toward certain companies and bash everything said positively about them. For instance, never mind, I'm not going to drag any specific names into this discussion. If I were to post a for sale thread there are a handful of people whom I would not want to comment on my thread and by simply not allowing them to derail your thread would eliminate a LOT of back and forth banter.

That sounds like way to much power, you can just rip people of then block them from ever posting in your thread again. This just seems like a way for people to be dicks then hide.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from chrisjens2:

How do you interpret this as way too much power? Seriously, I'm not saying to be able to pick and choose who posts on YOUR thread, just to have the option of eliminating a limited number of people who are constantly going after each other. It would be an option
    for the "op" of a thread. You should have the right to choose whether or not you want to block someone from your ignore list from crapping all over your thread. This would also help the moderators and you and I as a reader

It's simple I do not believe any person should be able to block or control what some else posts. I'm fine with anyone being able to block and filter what ever they see, but I do not want anyone else being able to censor what I see. To me that is fundamentally wrong and a very slippery slope.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from chrisjens2:

Then you don't have to use the option, I for one would use it and I would appreciate my right to do so

If I look at your threads do I see everything or are the people you have censored, removed for me as well? If its just your ignore than have it, has no effect on me.

#68 8 years ago

I don't know why one poster would have the right to remove another person from a thread. This makes no sense to me, if a representative of Pinside wants to, they have that right its their forum. No one else should be able to censor someone else from me. Private threads where you get to pick and choose who can partake? What kind of community is that, it completely seems like a you can ban and block anyone you disagree with. For sale thread I'll just block everyone that says my price is to high. This is totally how the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

#72 8 years ago

It just seems so completely backwards to me, businesses have to focus and adapt to their consumers. If they want to take advantage of Pinside then they have that option. They should come post and answer questions. A company that would only be willing to partake if they can censor specific people from responding is not one that I would trust. It just looks so shady. It's 2016 get your PR/Social Media person to do their job.

#77 8 years ago

The outline seems far more reasonable but I would prefer you must choose to enable the outlane and just leave the thread unfiltered by default. In the end your just back to ignore though or basically have added a recommend ignore. Hardly seems worth the time to implement.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Even Stern doesn't have a full time social media guy, Jared is just a part time contractor. Every single other pinball company in the world of any kind and flavor is smaller than Stern, you think they have a full time social media person? There is no one who's going to just hang out in a forum all day dealing with keeping things on topic.
    So sure, I get your point. But you know what? There are people with agendas who aren't there to be genuine. They want to stir up shit. And frankly it's just not worth the headache.
    So you can stand on principle. Or you can watch as less and and less pinball companies have any interest in maintaining a presence here. Stern already cut Jared's balls off, he couldn't work for them and be a normal poster, so he bailed. Looks like Keith and Alex had enough, they're out, at least for now. Rick retreated to his own forum for updates because he got tired of dealing with trolls.
    Are those guys all saints? Hell no. But the fact remains that they represent companies that people here are interested in, and the climate is such that they're finding it not worth the time and effort.
    So yay, they adapted by leaving.

Very few companies ever speak on any public forum, changing this forum will not change that. More than likely someone told them its bad practice so they stopped. The issue is not specific to pinside, it's just the way companies control information.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brainstorming-on-mfg-friendliness-troll-filtering?tu=darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.