(Topic ID: 150905)

Brainstorming on Mfg friendliness: Troll Filtering?

By visi0n

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Troll Control - Where do you stand?”

• Don't sensor free speech, man 5 votes
      12%
    • Trolling is fun / Trolling it not a problem here 2 votes
      5%
    • Create curated zones for manufacturers/businesses, like Officially - Official threads w/ potentially op-influenced moderation 12 votes
      29%
    • The ignore feature solves this already for me 9 votes
      22%
    • Create a troll scoreboard - a wall of shame (or pride for some!) 3 votes
      7%
    • This is a lost cause, you cannot de-troll the internet 7 votes
      17%
    • Moderate more 4 votes
      10%
    • Eject repeat-offender troublemakers altogether 9 votes
      22%
    • Do nothing - everything is fine, why is this even a topic? 10 votes
      24%

(Multiple choice - 41 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rainforest-interactive-for-3rd-grade-3-728_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisjens2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

I think an option where if you start a new thread, those who are on your "ignore" list are not allowed to post on your thread. This would be an option for the op of every thread before it posted to be viewed. It would save the moderators a lot of time and effort. Plus keep some of the more frequent trolls from derailing threads with their own agenda.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Ignoring someone should not effect what they are able to do on the site. It should merely prevent the ignorer from seeing them.

I disagree. Having the option to block certain people from posting on your own thread would be very beneficial. There are certain people who go at it with one another just because of personal reasons which have nothing to do with the post. There are also certain people who have hatred toward certain companies and bash everything said positively about them. For instance, never mind, I'm not going to drag any specific names into this discussion. If I were to post a for sale thread there are a handful of people whom I would not want to comment on my thread and by simply not allowing them to derail your thread would eliminate a LOT of back and forth banter.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

That sounds like way to much power, you can just rip people of then block them from ever posting in your thread again. This just seems like a way for people to be dicks then hide.

How do you interpret this as way too much power? Seriously, I'm not saying to be able to pick and choose who posts on YOUR thread, just to have the option of eliminating a limited number of people who are constantly going after each other. It would be an option
    for the "op" of a thread. You should have the right to choose whether or not you want to block someone from your ignore list from crapping all over your thread. This would also help the moderators and you and I as a reader

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

It's simple I do not believe any person should be able to block or control what some else posts. I'm fine with anyone being able to block and filter what ever they see, but I do not want anyone else being able to censor what I see. To me that is fundamentally wrong and a very slippery slope.

Then you don't have to use the option, I for one would use it and I would appreciate my right to do so

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

If I look at your threads do I see everything or are the people you have censored, removed for me as well? If its just your ignore than have it, has no effect on me.

They would be removed from posting at all. This comes into play in the "For Sale" threads especially. I'm not talking about someone who doesn't like this, or that. I'm talking about someone who has some personal issue with the op and takes a huge dump on the thread just because they can. What good does that accomplish? It's along the same lines as cyber bullying and if there were an option to eliminate it altogether I would use that option. Feel free not to utilize the tool if you disagree but don't dismiss it altogether. You might not want the option but others will and it's a win win for some of us.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

For some yes, but for just as many others they will misuse it, just like the people attacking their threads; maybe even more.

How is it misused? The people prevented from posting are already on the ignore list. I'm not saying you can pick and choose who posts on your thread.....

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Wait, but it could be the same thing. The "ignore list" is people you are ignoring, meaning the people you ignore cannot post in the thread, so really you are choosing whom can post in your threads or not right?
    Or am I missing something?
    EDIT: I read what you posted before and I guess you don't see it that way so we probably won't agree here. It is a lot of power. It could starts cliques of people, whom can only post in each others threads.

I get what you are saying, I do. What I'm talking about is if someone has already had an issue with someone else and it has risen to the point of an ignore option already utilized.
    I'm not saying "I don't like what this guy said so I'm going to block him" type scenario. What I'm suggesting is that "a furtherance of negative banter be prevented by the option of an ignored user prevention of posting feature." They are already ignored by you and now can't post in your thread to ruin it.....
    Just an option, a check box when posting a new thread

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisjens2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brainstorming-on-mfg-friendliness-troll-filtering?tu=chrisjens2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.