3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mattmarr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160325_201042_(resized).jpg
    20160325_204141_(resized).jpg
    20160325_204125_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

OK, I might be late to the party here, but was driving through NC on vacation last week and stopped overnight in Raleigh. Checked the pinmap and saw Boxcar Arcade had TH, GOT, TWD, and a number of other cool titles. http://theboxcarbar.com/

Man, I loved this place. My only regret is that I only had about an hour and a half to hang out. I focused my time almost exclusively on pinball, but definitely need to go back to explore their other options. I brought my 15 year old son who loved the pinball but also all the old school arcade machines. Enjoyed teaching him how to play Paperboy. They even had skeeball in the back.

Other pros:
    - Beer for sale - it's basically a bar. Great selection of craft brews.
    - Clean, family atmosphere - despite above, under 21 are allowed until 9 pm.
    - Beer holders on almost all machines
    - Dogs allowed - super cool.
    - Machines were high quality and well maintained. Pinball machines are front and center right when you walk in. That was nice.
    - Located in a hip part of town. Lots of other bars and restaurants within walking distance.

Only bummer was that a ball got stuck in a popup on TH. Was wedged in so tight that the ball search didn't fix it. Apparently some of the machines the guys on site didn't have a key to open the glass. But, hey, it's pinball and so that's to be expected.

Anyway, just wanted to give these guys a plug and thanks for creating such great spot and putting pinball on location someplace I actually WANT to go play and feel great dumping my money in over and over again.

20160325_204125_(resized).jpg

20160325_204141_(resized).jpg

20160325_201042_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Hey, dude!

This place is also known to Pinball Map and Pinball Rebel. I hear lots of good things!

3 months later
    #3 3 years ago

I stopped in here yesterday afternoon. Lots of pins and tons of dedicated arcades. Most games were $0.50 each - and many set at the $2.00 equals 5 plays setting. Beer was not too pricey either and was cold . If you are in the area - this is definitely worth checking out.

6 months later
    #4 2 years ago

Stopped in Boxcar this evening while in town. They have a new Batman 66.

Was intending to play a lot of Hobbit... First played Hobbit in Allentown last year and was in-different. Then played it again at Expo and Level 257 this past fall and got a lot more into it... so I was surprised that it just didn't seem that interesting when I played it tonight in Boxcar- until a realized it still has 1.01 code; isn't that really old code?

Also had a ball stuck; staff didn't have a key to open the glass on Hobbit which I thought was strange. Other than that it was a cool place; would definitely visit again.

2 weeks later
    #5 2 years ago

Stopped in here tonight, super cool. Got to play BM66 and a bunch of other top notch stuff. MM, AFM, TAF, all for fifty cents?!? Crazy. Plus, I suck at pinball and I still earned a bunch of replays, super generous. The console games are fun and the arcade games are awesome too. I wish I lived near here...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 50.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside