IMG_5341 (resized).JPG
IMG_5338 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 2.30.07 pm (resized).png
IMG_8488 (resized).jpg
IMG_8490 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181114_162611206 (resized).jpg
IMG_8136 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Just wondering if anyone owning a 1964 Gottlieb "Bowling Queen" has the older domed style daisy caps installed as original equipment. I picked one up recently that had '70s bumpers installed on it. The seller, who had owned it for something like 30 years, gave me the original daisy caps. They were the domed type. One of the blue ones has a chunk taken out of it. At the time, he couldn't get the replacement cap or the bumpers themselves, so he fitted it with '70s style bumpers. He kept the original caps, and passed them on to me when I bought the game.
Now I'm restoring the playfield, and will of course replace the bumpers with the original style. This is the fourth copy of "Bowling Queen" that I've owned, and the other three all have the flat top style daisy caps on them. I'm wondering if these are really original (the serial number is fairly low), or if they were incorrectly installed on this game a long time ago. While I'm at it, I could use an original domed style blue daisy cap with "POINTS 10 WHEN LIT" printed on the white center disc. PBR of course has reproductions, but the blue part is not marbled like the original.
Anyhow, I'd like to hear from those of you who own a "Bowling Queen", especially if yours has the older domed style bumper caps.

#2 5 years ago

I just picked one up recently. Friend said he grew up playing it and it had been it in his family for 20-30 years. Mine are flat slanted like this.

IMG_8136 (resized).jpgIMG_8136 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I just picked one up recently. Friend said he grew up playing it and it had been it in his family for 20-30 years. Mine are flat slanted like this. [quoted image]

Thanks. If you could, please post the serial number of your game. I'm trying to determine if the cap style was transitioned sometime during the run of "Bowling Queen". Early copies of "North Star" had domed "dead" bumper caps, and it seems later ones had the flat slanted type.

#4 5 years ago

Here's mine - serial 02455
Have had it over 15 years - if they're not original it explains why my scores suffer. Its how I got it.

IMG_20181114_162611206 (resized).jpgIMG_20181114_162611206 (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdog50:

Have had it over 15 years - if they're not original it explains why my scores suffer. Its how I got it.
[quoted image]

Those are definitely not the original caps. Those are starburst caps which came around a little later. Yours has a very low serial number though. Lower than mine.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Thanks. If you could, please post the serial number of your game.

Where is it? Google led to to spots but I think that’s 70s era. I didn’t see anything on top or inside the head or inside the front of the cab.

#7 5 years ago

number is front of cab just under coin return - stamped into the wood so can be hard to see from paint overs and wear.

#8 5 years ago

... also can be on the cert at top left of playfield on the ball arch

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdog50:

... also can be on the cert at top left of playfield on the ball arch

Thanks, I'll try to remember to check these spots tonight!

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdog50:

[quoted image]

"Starburst" caps first appeared (on a Gottlieb) on "Happy Clown", which is four games after "Bowling Queen". The game's flyer shows it with daisy caps, but I think they all had starburst caps. Early copies of it had the "beehive" style shooter bezel and the thinner push-up rod. It was during this game's run that they transitioned to the flat "rhomboid" shaped steel bezel and the heftier push-up rod. The following game, "Sky Line", had starburst caps too, although early production and samples had daisy caps. That was the last appearance of daisy caps on a Gottlieb.

#11 5 years ago

I think its 03040? Nothing on the Cert.

IPDB says they only made 2650 though?

IMG_8488 (resized).jpgIMG_8488 (resized).jpgIMG_8490 (resized).jpgIMG_8490 (resized).jpg
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I think its 03040? Nothing on the Cert.

IPDB says they only made 2650 though?

It may be that this game started numbering at 2000?

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=367

#13 5 years ago

mine are flat

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 2.30.07 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 2.30.07 pm (resized).png

#14 5 years ago

I've had 3 examples of "Bowling Queen," each had the, "Easy-view daisy caps" which I believe are original. I've heard or read somewhere that "North Star" was the first to have the easy-view design center of the cap and as you stated, "Skyline" was the first single-player game to introduce the sunburst caps. Prior to North Star as you know, they were domed.

#15 5 years ago

Yes, and "Bowling Queen" is older than "North Star", so you would think they would have the domed caps. Hmm.

#16 5 years ago

Joe, My BQ had the flat caps also . .

#17 5 years ago

I'm beginning to think none had the domed caps as original equipment. I was given domed caps by the previous owner, and he said he had the game about 30 years.

#18 5 years ago

Had it backwards, (sorry)........... It's Bowling Queen that first had the easy-view daisy caps with North Star being the last production run with them. That's my experience anyway.

4 weeks later
#19 5 years ago

I dont know if this helps but I have a copy of the original North Star flyer. The caps in the flyer match the caps on my game when I bought it, It IS entirely possible that I bought it from its original owner. I think I still have the what I think were the original cap set, I replaced them with new ones from PBR>
ok so the two up above are blue with white centers and "10 points when lit" in blue. These I would call "dome" shape I think.
THen the lower 5 caps are red daisys with white centers, "10 points when lit" in blue.
Dont know if this helps anyone out with anything, but hey, got the info,figger Id share it.
Merry Christmas yall!

2 weeks later
#20 5 years ago

Mine are flat too. Well 3 of 4 are - one appears domed. Serial #02349.

I haven't gone over this machine at all yet, I just noticed the one domed cap when taking these pics.

IMG_5338 (resized).JPGIMG_5338 (resized).JPGIMG_5340 (resized).JPGIMG_5340 (resized).JPGIMG_5341 (resized).JPGIMG_5341 (resized).JPG

#21 5 years ago

FWIW, the picture of BQ on the cover of the 2017 Price Guide shows the flat/slanted caps, I think those are correct, but Gottlieb was known to do some substituting if needed, you don't hold up the production line because of bumper caps!!

#22 5 years ago

Flat caps on mine, #03147.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bowling-queen-owners-question-about-daisy-caps?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.