Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by egyptrus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Bowler (or) Skeeball (or) Two pins?”

• Bowler 24 votes
      51%
    • Skeeball 5 votes
      11%
    • Two Pins 18 votes
      38%

(47 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0210 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0209 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

So my tiny garage has a spot for 2 pins or a bowler or skeeball. I already have 21 pins, full size dart and a multi-cade which makes me think I fall into the obsessive category. The question is, who owns a Bowler or Skeeball. Is it better to use the space for 2 pins or something different? If so, what is better: Bowler or Skeeball. As well after a few years what one keeps its fun factor?

Thanks for helping me keep up with the obsession. Or as my friends call it... The Sickness.

#2 7 years ago

poll added!

#3 7 years ago

I have a skeeball, shuffle puck bowler,shooting gallery,CC motorcycle game, and two pinball machines. The skeeball is my only SS game, I love the old EM games. I have them mainly for the lights and noise, I can't play them like they should be. My guests love the variety and throw in a few drinks scores don't matter. Buy what you think you like, if you change your mind someone is always looking for their next game.

#4 7 years ago

I am leaning towards Skeeball, always liked it. Seems like a good stress reliever as well. My friend has a skeeball bowler. "not the puck bowler" my only downside is it feels like every ball a roll is random vs skill.

#5 7 years ago

I currently have 4 pins and a United puck bowler from '69. That's all I have room for (translation - that's all the room my wife says I have).

To each his own, but I like to have a bit of variety. I was recently thinking about moving one of the pins out and replacing it with a rifle game or pitch and bat.

When it comes to guest preferences, they like the pins but love the bowler. I think it just lends itself more to group fun.

#6 7 years ago

Skeeball is what got me into pins. I have a Model H that was oh so lonely and needed company. I find that my guests prefer the Skeeball over the pins. I also have an old Buck Hunter and a crane game. I think I need to work on finding some titles on my wishlist. I have to agree with Nazumpan, in that Skeeball is a bit more social for a group setting and no is really "hogging" a machine. Get 'em all if you can, but to each their own.

#7 7 years ago

For me, a ball bowler is the ultimate rec room game. In reality though, after owning one for several years, it sees only occasional use, unless guests come over. When guests (other than hardcore pinheads) come over, its by far the most played game. Everyone knows how to bowl. Almost none know the nuances of Metallica.
    I suspect those that have "gun games" such as "Haunted House" have similar experiences. The most popular game when guests are over, but something only occasionally played by the owners.

Rec room real estate is a precious commodity. It will forever pose questions on how to best utilize the space. 1st world problems.

#8 7 years ago

I have a 14' ball bowler and everybody LOVES it. At the end of the night, all my friends are either on the bowler or the pitch and bat. All the pinballs "seem the same" to them. Get the bowler.

#9 7 years ago

I agree with Foo. I have the same bowler that he does. My guests play the bowler more than the pins.

#10 7 years ago

What do you think your family and friends would prefer? Depending on the audience some prefer the skeeball because it's simpler, quicker to start and finish a game. Bowlers are fun because they have more games (like bonus and flash, and can have up to six players in a game). I got the skeeball after the bowler because my wife prefers skeeball so we can both play at the same time. If I had to choose just one to add I think I'd choose the bowler - I personally like the bowler better but the skeeball comes in a close second

IMG_0209 (resized).JPGIMG_0209 (resized).JPG

IMG_0210 (resized).JPGIMG_0210 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

stuck between bowler and Skeeball now. one issue is the spot where I want to put it has a 79.5" head clearance. Skeeball tends to be between 80-85" and bowlers tend to have less than 80" head clearance. So it may just be the bowler because of space. however, Skeeball is pretty easy to find. a nice EM bowler seems rather difficult to find.

Also, just measured again. I would have to find a 10' bowler I thought a 14' would fit. I would have to sell 3 pins to fit a 14' so this is now starting to look complicated

#12 7 years ago

This is a 9' I assume this was cut down to fit someones home. Or did they really make a 9 footer? If this was in California I would buy it.

ebay.com link: United 1956 Ball Bowler Shorty

#13 7 years ago

Go with a bowler IF you have the proper space. I personally wouldn't recommend going with one less than 16.5' long unless little kids will predominantly play it.

#14 7 years ago

Yeah, 14' would be my max. Even that requires some sacrifice. I guess some things are just not meant to be..

#15 7 years ago

Recently I picked up a shuffle alley. Played one at the silverball in asbury park. Loved it. Been working to makebthenoneningot look great. My vote is for a shuffle bowler. They can be had reasonably and are fun

#16 7 years ago

They are also less than 9 feet right?

#17 7 years ago

I have never had a bowler but played quite a few. Would definitely get one if you can make it work. I have not seen too many for sale though, at least not on pinside

#18 7 years ago

Hmm, I think the hunt is after Williams ALLEY CATS Shuffle Bowling... wish me luck.

Also a 1954 Bally Champion Bowler Shuffle Alley - $1250 near by that could be an option. It is 9' and a 6 player EM

#19 7 years ago

I have a lead for you spock if that is what you want. That is the model I have. Beauty is it all is that it comes apart into like six pieces. This was big for me as I need to get it to my basement. The guy I bought mine from had huge a few more. Not sure where your located but if reasonably close to me it may work out. Let me know where your at and pm me if you wish the sellers data

#20 7 years ago

Just FYI I bought mine for $450. Decent shape. Worked. Have out some money into it but that was elective and not necessary. Great seller. Brought it to me!!

#21 7 years ago

For Ally Cats? I am in California. The other one I just posted as it is FS in my area, but I am not exactly interested in it. The Ally Cats will be something my wife would like. Anything cat related is good for her. However, I doubt I will find that exact theme. Another alternative is Williams Goldmine Shuffle Alley.

So, I am after either:

1. Ally Cats
    2. Goldmine

#22 7 years ago

United indeed made a 9' length "Bowling Alley" small ball bowler back in 1956/57. Somewhat rare. More common is there 11' small ball bowler. By 1958, nearly all ball bowlers were either 13', 14' or 16' in length. Ironically, the long length of the ball bowlers was partially responsible for there demise in the early 70's.....as there size was simply......too big.

#23 7 years ago

Ok. Too bad. Shipping would kill the deal. I was hoping you may be. Lose to my geographic area and get the same kind of deal I received. Just getting my Alley Cats together. Can't wait!!

#24 7 years ago

Lovin' my Bib Ball Bowler...it's 16' long though which sounds like it would be a problem. I never got into Skeeball much for some reason. Good luck.

#25 7 years ago

Bubble hockey

#26 7 years ago

I have a ball bowler and when I have guests over it's by far the most played thing in my game room. I love pinball but it's good to have something else that people want to play. If you can afford the space, grab the ball bowler.

Dave

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bowler-or-skeeball-or-two-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.