(Topic ID: 203726)

Bowen Kerins now a "Suppressed Player" on IFPA?

By dyopp21

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

system-failure-640x353 (resized).jpg
    rounders (resized).jpg
    Tommy Pinball Cross (resized).JPG
    serenity (resized).jpg
    bbhjosh (resized).jpg
    Howard Stern (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    943A8F75-28A3-4140-8EEE-971AEF83B4C2 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8755 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zentron.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#69 6 years ago

If i run a charity event for $20 an entry and have 30 participants minus the ifpa fee that is $570 for the charity.

Some participants don’t care about the charity and if i ran it without it being ifpa sanctioned and had 20 participants that would be $400 for the charity.

This is where the ifpa adds value.

Josh has repeatedly said that they’ll be keeping a close eye on how these changes unfold and has been as transparent as possible. If these changes affect competitive pinball negatively then changes will be made in 2019.

#106 6 years ago

For charity events, submit it to IFPA 30+ days in advance and make $1 an opt in if folks want results uploaded to IFPA site. You get exposure of being on IFPA calendar and offer versatility to participants.

As a TD im not offering that though, all my participants will have results uploaded.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The new system is simply trickle down pinball.
    Everyone pays more so that the top 1% can get more.

The SCS winners change pretty frequently from year to year. In North Carolina we’ve had a new winner the past 3 years and only those are eligible for Nationals. Even if it was a static group that made up the 1%, the higher payout would attract new players.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

So if I suppress myself as a player can I participate for free in a tournament that charges everyone a $1?

Thats up to the TD but for me the answer is No. All the events I TD run will be sanctioned by IFPA.

Results for supressed players still get submitted and their player strength still affects the points the event is worth. Just that their name isn’t listed on the site and they can’t participate in state championship.

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

No it won't. I'm still not understanding why everyone thinks it will. New players show up because someone told them it's a good time, not because they saw on TV that if they beat the best player in the world that they will win $10,000.
    Some new players go on to want to be that person who can hang with the best, but a lot decide it's just a fun way to spend an evening with friends.

Some new players will be attracted to competitive pinball due to the higher payouts at the state and national championship.

Some new players will be attracted because of the reason you mentioned.

I think we’re both right?

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would hope that any local TD would be willing to do that for you. I see zero reason to prevent people from playing. If they dont want to be part of IFPA/ pay the $1 then why force them... makes zero sense.
    Curious, which TD is planning to do this?

Monthly Tournaments - Entry Fee - $5 for someones first time at our location - $10 for others. $1 will be subtracted from the prize pool.
    Our normal league - Entry Fee - $1 to cover IFPA Fee , Top 3 of 6 events count towards standings per season.
    Our selfie League - $1 to cover IFPA Fee will be covered by location
    Charity Events - Entry Fee - Normally $20+ - we'll subtract from prize pool or location/i'll cover
    Ad-hoc Promotional Events - Mostly occur within 30 day window and won't be IFPA events.

All of this is transparent to all our participants and I don't see anyone having a problem with it.

#177 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I just want to know if a player has the right to choose to participate without paying a fee or if they can be forced by a tournament director to pay up. There may be some tournament directors who will force a fee on people to keep their number of participants and tournament point values up. This is not fair to the casual player.
    This is why I do not agree with the way this system is set up. The casual pinball player is subsidizing the more serious player.
    I don't have a problem with the IFPA charging fees necessarily but if you want to be recognized by the IFPA go on the IFPA website and pay a yearly "due". The casual player that loves playing pinball with his or her friends should not be forced into playing for points that they don't care about.
    Sticking it to the casual pinball player that plays for fun is not a way to "grow pinball".

We all have choices just like Tournament Directors. If the majority of our participants protested the $1 change and wouldn't visit our location anymore we'd obviously provide feedback to Josh and look at making changes ourselves. Events have to be mutually beneficial to both the establishment (if its an event at a business) and the player. I would encourage folks as yourself to provide this feedback to the tournament directors and feel free to pass that information onto Josh or in this thread etc.

Personally I'm interested to see how these changes unfold in 2018 and plan to support the IFPA 100%. This might be a bit biased since I'm the state rep for NC but both myself and the owner of the establishment I run events at find value in the IFPA. We have a group on facebook with over 100 players and enjoy seeing how we rank in the state and world.

I also have a lot of respect for Josh because he spends a lot of time on different forums and social media platforms answering as many questions as he can and give reasons why he's doing things the way he/they are.

#212 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah, i can understand just not even telling them at all to keep it simple.

I won't tell them either, just take the $1 off the pot.

For free entry tournaments if the player isn't willing to put in the $1 nor the location or a sponsor etc I wouldn't make it an IFPA sanctioned event. The flip side is if you have a location that is willing to pay the $1 for a free tournament they'll just recruit that player base.

#213 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I don't think it's right to not let the player have a choice to participate or not partipate in the IFPA. This is essentially what is happening if the tournament director gets to decide.
    You can argue that if you don't want to pay the fee don't participate in the IFPA tournament. This will most likely turn some people away. This is the opposite of what this new fee structure is trying to accomplish.
    Give the freedom of choice to the player.
    The side benefit is that if your tournament takes the IFPA fee out of the normal prize pool then someone opting out will keep the money at that local event. At the local event a person who will never qualify for state at least has a shot at winning some of their donation money back.

This is why folks become Tournament Directors, so they can run events the way they want them. You have 10 pins and can run a monthly tournament out of your house the way you want to. You can also partner up with a location and run them however you want adhering to the IFPA guidelines if its a sanctioned event of course.

#215 6 years ago

Why would you have to explain anything to folks coming over your house to participate in a tournament. Do you not have any interaction with them prior to coming over and they don't have internet? Just tell them to head to this site: https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/about/about-the-ifpa/ . You can also print out some copies and hand it to them.

#228 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

My wife and I actually run two monthy IFPA events in Milwaukee at a local bar.
    We have been running the tournaments for two years.
    Sick of the BS and I don't feel like doing accountant work for Josh in addition to the other tournament responsibilities.
    We took a vote of our player base. The majority did not want to pay for points because the tournaments used to be free. A few people wanted points. We offered up one of the tournaments for someone else to take over so they can charge for points. As of yet no one has taken us up on the offer.
    So next year one tournament is cancelled and and the other will be non-IFPA.
    There used to be 4 monthly IFPA tournaments in Milwaukee. As of right now there will be zero IFPA tournaments in 2018. I believe the other two tournaments are also canceled completely for 2018.

This is a good data point.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and if the local bar or player base will change to pay the $1 per player fee. The only time we'll have free tournaments in this area is if there is a sponsor and we're trying to promote something and have schwag to give away..

#244 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

Once you add money to the equation it ceases to be "FOR FUN"
    If something is not FUN why do it?
    Oh yeah because there is money involved, and often times I find that brings out the worse in people.
    Its a shame that this thread has been allowed to go so far off topic.
    The IFPA commenting that "they love this is going on in a Bowen thread" is to me a slap in the face of someone who has done as much for pinball as anyone on this planet.
    Exactly why IFPA tourneys are not welcome where I play...

You dont run IFPA tourneys where you play because money brings out the worse in people yet the $1 per player per event fee to award points is starting in 2018.

You also mention its a shame this thread has been allowed to go off topic yet your post doesn’t mention anything about Bowen?

I think Bowen is a great guy and yes he is a supressed player but he competes in and runs IFPA sanctioned events and has made no indication he won’t continue this in 2018. He supressed himself in April 2017 days prior to PAPA 20 where he finished 2nd. He helps run Pinburgh which is the largest IFPA sanctioned event in the world. This topic is old news and has been debated to death on facebook and other forums months ago.

#262 6 years ago

It will be interesting to see if Bowen has any results submitted in 2018 thus supporting the new IFPA changes.

#276 6 years ago

Off topic

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zentron.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bowen-kerins-now-a-suppressed-player-on-ifpa?tu=zentron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.