(Topic ID: 203726)

Bowen Kerins now a "Suppressed Player" on IFPA?

By dyopp21

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

system-failure-640x353 (resized).jpg
    rounders (resized).jpg
    Tommy Pinball Cross (resized).JPG
    serenity (resized).jpg
    bbhjosh (resized).jpg
    Howard Stern (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    943A8F75-28A3-4140-8EEE-971AEF83B4C2 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8755 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

I thought it was because a 13 year old bet him.

What was the bet?

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

So people are really upset about a $1 increase that goes 100% back to the state and national winners? Is it $1 per player per tourney?
    If that's all it is people need to spend a little more time focusing on real problems in the world. Who really freaking cares, it's $1. If you can't afford that you couldn't afford to get to the tourney to begin with. Don't tell me its the principle of the matter either. I'm sick of everyone and their principles on everything.

I have three problems with the $1 implementation.

1. I spend time organizing, promoting and running the tournaments. The IFPA is going to waste my time submitting the $1 after each tournament. Now I have to give them my credit card each time, subtract that from the prize fund and pay myself back. You might say that only takes 10 minutes, but that's time I could be doing something else, like putting up a Facebook post, or updating the event listing on our league website.

2. They won't give a pass to charity tournaments. Nothing like digging your hand into the pocket of people trying to raise money to support a local charity.

3. Although the $1 cash grab is "supposed" to grow the sport of pinball, I'm just not understanding how that's going to happen. The money is going into the pockets of the top players. The theory is that larger prize pools will generate more interest from sponsors, which leads to bigger prize pools (for their pockets) and the ultimate growth of pinball.

My issue is that I've never hear of anyone saying "Wow, the top prize for the Master's Golf Tournament is $1.9 million. I'm going to go join a golf league."

If they would have said, we'll be using the $1 to promote local tournaments in your area. Or the $1 will be used for targeted Facebook advertising. That would be something I could get behind. Telling me that I need to collect, submit and account for $1 / person / event so they can stuff it in their pockets, isn't doing it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying their shouldn't be some type of compensation for their time and effort. But then again, I pay back 100% of the take for all of my events and they have sponsors.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Honestly, I wish Josh would have instituted a $5 fee a year to be an IFPA registered player

I suggested this back when this started. He shot it down because he said it would be too much work for him and he wanted the TDs to deal with it.

That really pissed me off.

Everyone that wants points goes to the IFPA website and pays $5. When I submit the results, it matches up the payment status of the player. If they paid they get points, if they don't, the system ignores their scores and moves on to the next player.

Then all I need to do is direct the players to the IFPA website and viola' it's done. I can spend my time growing my league and not their bottom line.

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Even if it was a static group that made up the 1%, the higher payout would attract new players.

No it won't. I'm still not understanding why everyone thinks it will. New players show up because someone told them it's a good time, not because they saw on TV that if they beat the best player in the world that they will win $10,000.

Some new players go on to want to be that person who can hang with the best, but a lot decide it's just a fun way to spend an evening with friends.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bowen-kerins-now-a-suppressed-player-on-ifpa?tu=spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.