(Topic ID: 203726)

Bowen Kerins now a "Suppressed Player" on IFPA?

By dyopp21

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

system-failure-640x353 (resized).jpg
    rounders (resized).jpg
    Tommy Pinball Cross (resized).JPG
    serenity (resized).jpg
    bbhjosh (resized).jpg
    Howard Stern (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    943A8F75-28A3-4140-8EEE-971AEF83B4C2 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8755 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

gained a lot of my respect in doing so!

Looks like you're still in the IFPA system though?

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm getting Facebook hatemail over this.
    People sure hate the word "scrub."

Seriously? That’s incredibly lame.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

A lot of butt hurt over a $1 it seems. All in a hobby where you spend thousands on a single machine.

Sayre's Law: "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake."

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Wait... it costs money?
    Oh I'm definitely supressing myself from that shit too.

I believe all of the video tutorials are still free to watch. He's just asking for contributions to cover his travel costs from Boston to Pittsburgh to make future tutorials. Contributors get early access to the videos, and to vote on what game he does next. Seems fair enough to me -- the videos are still a nice way to quickly learn the ins and outs of a game.

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The burning question out of all of this... Can you suppress mid-tournament?

And if so, can you then demand a pro-rated refund of your $1?

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

If I'm a casual player and I don't care about the IFPA but want to participate in the local IFPA sanctioned bar tournament with my friends can the tournament director force me to pay $1? Can I just participate and not have my results submitted to the IFPA?

Quoted from Whysnow:

I would hope that any local TD would be willing to do that for you. I see zero reason to prevent people from playing. If they dont want to be part of IFPA/ pay the $1 then why force them... makes zero sense.

Agreed that in a free, casual tournament with no entry-fee and no prizes (or just beer/pizza), it would be nice to keep the $1 fee and IFPA participation optional. Even if it's laughably small.

On the flip side, why wouldn't you offer people playing in your free/charity tourneys the opportunity to pay an extra buck (of their own money) for the chance to earn IFPA points? Those that care can pay the nominal fee, those that don't won't. It's an extra few minutes of work for you to track who paid and submit their results (same as it would be for the beer-league guy in the example above to allow people not to pay the $1 or get IFPA points), but would avoid the issue of losing participants that predominantly play for points, and presumably keep everyone happy.

Like DNO says, this only matters in the free/charity tourney context, since in a entry-fee/prize-pool tourney everyone will just take the IFPA $$ out of the pot and the players will never have to think about it.

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will say that I think it is pretty shady of you to guise your support of this rule change as anything besides a nice added payout for the top 16 players in a state with almost 500 uniqiue people that would be supporting your SCS prize package.

And I will say that it's extraordinarily lame to go personal like this. We get it, you strongly disagree with DNO. But when you attack someone else's character rather than their arguments, you lose credibility yourself.

#192 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If someone else want to independently submit, track, and do this, then they can. I wont be collecting or paying a single dollar into IFPA.
    The difference between your example of opting to provide IFPA sanctioning and Robs example of allowing "opt-out" players to play in a sanctioned event is actually very differnet.
    Providing IFPA sanctioning takes a whole bunch of added work.

But isn't it all the same work you were willing to do this year when there was no charge for it? So why not do the same amount of work next year for those that want IFPA points and are willing to pay? It'll be exactly the same except that you collect some money and submit it to IFPA along with the results, right?

#270 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

ouch, that would hurt

But you’d gain a lot of Pinside’s respect ...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bowen-kerins-now-a-suppressed-player-on-ifpa?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.