(Topic ID: 203726)

Bowen Kerins now a "Suppressed Player" on IFPA?

By dyopp21

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

system-failure-640x353 (resized).jpg
    rounders (resized).jpg
    Tommy Pinball Cross (resized).JPG
    serenity (resized).jpg
    bbhjosh (resized).jpg
    Howard Stern (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    943A8F75-28A3-4140-8EEE-971AEF83B4C2 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8755 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dooskie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#194 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For instance, the PGA would grow by leaps and bounds if anybody with a Nine Iron could be a "pro golfer," but it wouldn't necessarily improve the product or the competition, and in fact would damage the credibility of the organization.

You do not have a clue about professional golf, do you. Levi, if you're going to compare professional pinball to something, at least know what you're talking about.

#210 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes, because then I'd have to explain to them what the IFPA is and just that conversation could be frustrating when I'm trying to grow involvement from new people.

So you seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth. On the one hand you want to grow the sport of pinball, but on the other hand, you don't want to explain to them what the IFPA is.

If you'll allow me to compare this to the sport of golf, which I happen to know a little bit about, golf has a participation issue. So if I've got someone that is at my golf course to learn how to play, to play casually, to participate in a 'fun' competition or to participate in a competition that's a little bit more serious, I'll talk about my sport all day long to whoever is here. It's NEVER an imposition to talk about ANY aspect of my sport, including what the PGA (Professional Golfers Association) is all about. I need to do that to grow the participation locally. Sometimes it leads to people getting hooked on the sport, sometimes it doesn't.

Pinball is like golf in a lot of ways. A person can go as far along as they want to. You can play in a local beer league, or if you want to test yourself against better players, play in state, regional or national competitions. Play as an amateur or play as a pro. Golf, like pinball, will sort out the best players.

But holy smokes, don't feel put out if you have to explain a pinball association to someone. I'd think you would welcome that, especially if you are running events, and especially if you are a moderator on a pinball forum.

My .02 from someone that loves to play pinball and has been a golf professional, and professional golfer, since 1982.

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, I do not believe growing Pinball and explaining what the IFPA is and the nuances of opt in vs opt out are the same thing. I have a lot of friends in the legal world that stop by and play, if I had to explain to each one of them what the IFPA is and what the fee is and how it is allocated and why it's legal or not in my state it would be a giant pain in my butt. It also complicates my interaction with them and could get me stuck talking to one person for an hour.

Host a half dozen Pinball tourneys at your house with new people coming (some of which have never played Pinball before, some of which you never met before) and try explaining to them about the IFPA...you may feel differently.
    When you are hosting events at your house you worry more about your machines working, where people park, how warm the food is, explaining the actual rules of the tourney, texting with people who are late but are in rout, etc. Explaining the IFPA opt in vs opt out is just not going to happen, for me anyway.

Well, if we're still comparing pinball to golf:

1. I own my golf course and live in an apartment above my pro shop. So every day, for eight months of the year, I have people coming to my house to play golf.
    2. I host 16 tournaments and 4 weekly leagues, and have new people coming in daily http://www.hiddenmeadowsgolf.com/2018-tournament-schedule/
    3. I have to worry about the condition my course is in, how good my greens are, are my fairways and roughs mowed, making sure my parking lot is big enough to handle the new people coming out to my course every day, how warm the food is and how cold the beer is, explaining the actual rules of each tournament and league, and dealing with people on the phone who are late but are enroute (I don't, and will not, text. Yes, I'm so old I fart dirt, and won't give in to texting).

Yeah, maybe a person could look at it as a pain in the butt, but I don't. And yeah, there are times I end up talking to customers (some are friends in the legal world, some are friends in the medical world, and some are friends from the local mill) for an hour instead of catching up on a bazillion other things that I could be doing. But I certainly don't ever consider it being 'stuck' talking to someone. I am humbled that they would want to talk to me.

#221 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Looking forward to it and THANKS!

Hey, I was in Madison last week. Do you have anything to do with Geek Mania Arcade?

#224 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Nope. They are a pay to enter model full arcade.
    Myself and a few buddies are just regular route operators. We have games out at four bars around town and focus on quality and variety from old to brand new.

I get out to Fondy about once a year around Thanksgiving, and always spend a day in Madison. Next year I'll look you up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dooskie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bowen-kerins-now-a-suppressed-player-on-ifpa?tu=Dooskie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.