(Topic ID: 203726)

Bowen Kerins now a "Suppressed Player" on IFPA?

By dyopp21

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

system-failure-640x353 (resized).jpg
    rounders (resized).jpg
    Tommy Pinball Cross (resized).JPG
    serenity (resized).jpg
    bbhjosh (resized).jpg
    Howard Stern (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    943A8F75-28A3-4140-8EEE-971AEF83B4C2 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8755 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 307 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 6 years ago

I read this as "bowen kerins now an oppressed player on IFPA" and found it more interesting

of course, then it sparks the topic "who is oppressing him and why?"

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I kind of love that this is on the Bowen is suppressed thread

Yeah I never meant to start all this. It was an honest question! Oh well, I’m kinda glad I did because as a rookie TD it has given me some things to consider for next year.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

Yeah I never meant to start all this.

Yeah it was inevitable. It's not you, don't worry.

#104 6 years ago

I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by, your overhead camera setup, or the fact that you got Howard Stern to attend one of your tournaments ...

Howard Stern (resized).jpgHoward Stern (resized).jpg

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by, your overhead camera setup, or the fact that you got Howard Stern to attend one of your tournaments ...

Hahaha. That is Benjamin Liggett. Heckuva good young player. You don’t want to face him on an old EM for sure!

#106 6 years ago

For charity events, submit it to IFPA 30+ days in advance and make $1 an opt in if folks want results uploaded to IFPA site. You get exposure of being on IFPA calendar and offer versatility to participants.

As a TD im not offering that though, all my participants will have results uploaded.

#107 6 years ago

A lot of butt hurt over a $1 it seems. All in a hobby where you spend thousands on a single machine.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

A lot of butt hurt over a $1 it seems. All in a hobby where you spend thousands on a single machine.

Sayre's Law: "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake."

#109 6 years ago

I'm inspired.

Decided to suppress myself from the IRS as they dont really mesh well with my utopia.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Don't be fatuous, gweempose. That's Slash.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from steigerpijp:

Money and orginization issues aside, which I dont know enough about ..does this mean Bowen wont be doing any more tutorials on new and recent games ?
    He is the best at that, explaining game rules in a calm understandable fashion

He's still doing tutorials using a Patreon campaign to pay for them. https://www.patreon.com/pinball

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

He's still doing tutorials using a Patreon campaign to pay for them. https://www.patreon.com/pinball

Wait... it costs money?

Oh I'm definitely supressing myself from that shit too.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

"Suppressing" will be the pinball buzz word of 2018!!!

#114 6 years ago

ALWAYS BE CASHING!!!

bbhjosh (resized).jpgbbhjosh (resized).jpg

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Wait... it costs money?

I believe all of the video tutorials are still free to watch. He's just asking for contributions to cover his travel costs from Boston to Pittsburgh to make future tutorials. Contributors get early access to the videos, and to vote on what game he does next. Seems fair enough to me -- the videos are still a nice way to quickly learn the ins and outs of a game.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Rage suppress is all the rage!

You don't have to suppress in protest - you can do it if you beef out in a tournament or don't otherwise perform up to your lofty standards. Works best in tandem with a wordy Facebook "stupid goodbye" post.

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

you can do it if you beef out in a tournament or don't otherwise perform up to your lofty standards.

No shit eh? Like instead of canceling the ticket I cancel myself from the tourny as a whole...I love it.
    Is there a button you have to hit or just yell it out when your last ball is heading towards the drain?
    "I need a Suppression judge over here please...immediately"

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No shit eh? Like instead of canceling the ticket I cancel myself from the tourny as a whole...I love it.
    Is there a button you have to hit or just yell it out when your last ball is heading towards the drain?
    "I need a Suppression judge over here please...immediately"

I don't think you can suppress mid-tournament, but I've been wrong before!

Past-practice reveals rage suppression usually occurs within 24 hours of beefing out in a tournament.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think you can suppress mid-tournament, ...

Then I shall aspire to be the first.

#120 6 years ago

The new system is simply trickle down pinball.

Everyone pays more so that the top 1% can get more.

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Quick not public but soon to be public update. Other rules changes for the 2018 SCS season:
    1) Best 20 results within a state will count for each player (similar to the way the World Rankings are calculated).
    2) “Super States” expansion of the qualifying field will be in play. Any States that have a minimum of 400 unique players and 100 events held within that state during the calendar year will be eligible for that expanded 24 player final.
    I kind of love that this is on the Bowen is suppressed thread

Last line sounds kind of snarky. Was that the intent?

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm getting Facebook hatemail over this.
    People sure hate the word "scrub."

Maybe throwing out pejoratives isn't the best way to make a point.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The new system is simply trickle down pinball.
    Everyone pays more so that the top 1% can get more.

The SCS winners change pretty frequently from year to year. In North Carolina we’ve had a new winner the past 3 years and only those are eligible for Nationals. Even if it was a static group that made up the 1%, the higher payout would attract new players.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hopefully Pinside will clamp down on people announcing "suppression" in posts!

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Last line sounds kind of snarky. Was that the intent?

Not at all. I fully respect the decision Bowen made for himself on this, and that it has made his pinball experience a more positive one by suppressing. I've known the guy for just about 25 years and I think we both understand one another 100% on this.

My reference was that this thread title has nothing to do about the nuances of our 2018 season changes, but now has the "most current information" regarding some of our final rule changes that aren't in the other IFPA $1 related threads.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Hopefully Pinside will clamp down on people announcing "suppression" in posts!

"Don't announce drains, ignores, or Supressions."

Quoted from ifpapinball:

I've known the guy for just about 25 years and I think we both understand one another 100% on this.

Yes, but he'll always feel like he came out on top of you after gaining a lot of Whysnow's respect.

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Even if it was a static group that made up the 1%, the higher payout would attract new players.

No it won't. I'm still not understanding why everyone thinks it will. New players show up because someone told them it's a good time, not because they saw on TV that if they beat the best player in the world that they will win $10,000.

Some new players go on to want to be that person who can hang with the best, but a lot decide it's just a fun way to spend an evening with friends.

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes, but he'll always feel like he came out on top of you after gaining a lot of Whysnow's respect.

it really isn't worth much

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

No it won't. I'm still not understanding why everyone thinks it will. New players show up because ...

Well let me to restate it to you a few times why it will whilst you you tell me a few times why it won't. Hopefully we can get some other people to chime in why they disagree with everyone and then maybe they'll change this rule that they aren't going to change.
    Sound good?

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Not at all. I fully respect the decision Bowen made for himself on this, and that it has made his pinball experience a more positive one by suppressing. I've known the guy for just about 25 years and I think we both understand one another 100% on this.
    My reference was that this thread title has nothing to do about the nuances of our 2018 season changes, but now has the "most current information" regarding some of our final rule changes that aren't in the other IFPA $1 related threads.

The burning question out of all of this...

Can you suppress mid-tournament?

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ah ah ah....hold it. I'd rather the TD call him at home over the weekend to get a ruling when I pull that card in a couple weeks.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Don't announce drains, ignores, or Supressions."

Maybe "Ignore" could be changed to "Supress" and the thead could show "Supressed Pinsider" to ride the trendy wave.

#133 6 years ago

No it won't. I'm still not understanding why everyone thinks it will. New players show up because someone told them it's a good time, not because they saw on TV that if they beat the best player in the world that they will win $10,000.
    Some new players go on to want to be that person who can hang with the best, but a lot decide it's just a fun way to spend an evening with friends.

Big money for tournaments brings media attention... Which generates exposure... Which generates interest... Which grows pinball overall.

It's not at all supposed to be "OMG BIG CASH PRIZE MUST PLAY".

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

which is a big plus for you.

It is! I'm a much nicer a-hole to be around without the drama of chasing points, and it also lets me have time to volunteer to help staff a tournament (that's not MINE) instead, which I did for a bit in Austin at BCO this year...and I actually found that I enjoyed the crap out of watching other people play rather than be there with my phone in my face, or a laptop!

Quoted from ifpapinball:

2) “Super States” expansion of the qualifying field will be in play. Any States that have a minimum of 400 unique players and 100 events held within that state during the calendar year will be eligible for that expanded 24 player final.

That's pretty cool. Probably not enough to change *my* mind, not that anyone cares lol (case in point even this year if we had 24, I wouldn't have needed to play a single event in October to December to still qualify?), but that will help develop the field and let more people get in games with higher skilled players, which is pretty freakin' crucial to keeping a competitive environment lively, IMO.

Quoted from flynnibus:

I know... makes you wonder who they pay out in their local events... does everyone share the prize pool equally?

Pretty obvious. Nobody gets paid out when nobody pays in. If you want to play for money at league night, bring the Sac Rack!

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It is! I'm a much nicer a-hole to be around without the drama of chasing points, and it also lets me have time to volunteer to help staff a tournament (that's not MINE) instead, which I did for a bit in Austin at BCO this year...and I actually found that I enjoyed the crap out of watching other people play rather than be there with my phone in my face, or a laptop!
    !

We started the idea of the NYC Pinball Championships (https://www.nycpinballchamps.com/ !) with the idea of "how awesome would it be to have our own big tournament in nYC?!" But it's quickly dawning on us that it's going to be a difficult enough undertaking even without playing. So there's a good chance I'll be doing it your way, out of reach of those tasty, thick WPPRs, but enjoying the show.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No it has to be done beforehand.

No it won't. I'm still not understanding why everyone thinks it will.

I believe it will. With all 16 players who qualified for the SCS getting paid now, there is going to be much more of a run for those spots. Here locally, a lot of people think they can't win State, but they certainly do think they can make top 16. Those people who thought they had "no chance" before, now have a chance to win money just by qualifying for the SCS so they are going to play more, because it means more now. Also, those people on the fringe of getting in are now going to play more to try to take that 16th spot because now even if they lose right away to the #1 qualifier, they still go home with $$$. Top 16 vs. winning the SCS is much more accessible to people.

And also to the person who commented on the Robert Gagno interview with the prize money and chuckling, it is a joke currently for the SCS unfortunately and that is no fault of the IFPA. When I won the SCS in Minnesota I did a few interviews with the local papers and websites who were all interested in the competition and pinball in general. I thought it was great, publicity for pinball and potential for growing the sport. When it got to what I won for winning the state and I had to say $100 ($20 of it was mine I paid to enter the event) it was embarrassing. Here was this thing that I thought was really cool, winning the State Championship and I hoped other people would think the same and take it seriously, but that is really hard for an average Joe to do when his grandma just won more at pulltabs sitting at the bar than I did for the culmination of an entire year's worth of competitive pinball play.

#137 6 years ago

I’ve got to call my mom and tell her I started something trendy! This is great day.

#138 6 years ago

I think this thread has solidified me never getting into competitive pinball.

It’s not the money. I’ve got no problems paying to compete. Just seems like a butt hurt community or maybe juat a few.

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I hoped other people would think the same

they dont and reality is they never will. Hell, the majority of the pinball world doesnt even care about the niche of the competitive world. Pretty sure even if you said you won $2500 for winning state that most people would view that as chump change and not any cooler.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

But we'd love to stomp you into the ground whilst dancing around with your dollar in our hands.

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

It’s not the money. I’ve got no problems paying to compete. Just seems like a butt hurt community or maybe juat a few.

I can’t speak for everyone here, but I can tell you that our small local group has an absolute BLAST competing on Friday nights. I think in this case it’ll all blow over.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

But we'd love to stomp you into the ground whilst dancing around with your dollar in our hands.

Yeah. Not cool at all.

Who is going to pay for all of our splendor (charter flights / dom '56 / platinum pinballs) without a fresh crop of scrubs mindlessly stuffing $1 bills into our pockets?!

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Can I drink beer and tell inappropriate jokes while you are beating me at pinball?

If so I’m in!

#144 6 years ago

So if I suppress myself as a player can I participate for free in a tournament that charges everyone a $1?

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

In my experience it's a small, vocal group. You should try a tournament sometime if you think it would interest you. In my years of playing, I've never encountered some of the attitudes that one sees online. Personally I like playing when something is on the line.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

they dont and reality is they never will. Hell, the majority of the pinball world doesnt even care about the niche of the competitive world. Pretty sure even if you said you won $2500 for winning state that most people would view that as chump change and not any cooler.

I don't think that's true. And honestly if it was true, the IFPA should just fold up shop and no one should care about this anyway. Take something like competitive poker. All it took was an amateur player to win the main event and that sport has skyrocketed to unimaginable heights and popularity. Had Chris Moneymaker won $100 ($20 of it his) in the main event, WPT would not be a household name, no one would be watching poker on TV and the attendance at the main event and other poker events across the world would not have gone up like it has. They show pool, darts, poker on TV and E-sports have gotten insane, no reason to think pinball can't be a part of that to some degree. Like it or not, to gain popularity you have to have legitimacy and you are never going to get that with the public with $80 prize winnings for a state championship in your sport.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Can I drink beer and tell inappropriate jokes while you are beating me at pinball?
    If so I’m in!

It's still the entire point of pinball, even in competitions.

It's a competition, and any competition is going to cause some butt hurting. Add monies in and it's just going to amp it up (Granted the $1 here is taking it to nuclear levels).
    99% of the crying and screaming is towards the machines and not people anyway. Almost everyone is very nice to everyone else and eXpecially dollar dono....er...new people. There are always going to be assholes in anything you do and from my angle Pinball has less than plenty of other things. The higher up you are the more it matters to you.
    If you're one of those people that can't fathom how people can get upset losing at something, I don't know what to tell you, that's just how most everything works.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

So if I suppress myself as a player can I participate for free in a tournament that charges everyone a $1?

Thats up to the TD but for me the answer is No. All the events I TD run will be sanctioned by IFPA.

Results for supressed players still get submitted and their player strength still affects the points the event is worth. Just that their name isn’t listed on the site and they can’t participate in state championship.

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

TECHNICALLY there is an exploit within our participation rules that would allow you to 'rage suppress' and not be counted in that event.

We require players to play in at least 50% of the qualifying requirements to be included in the results submitted to the IFPA. This percentage goes up if an event has more than 50 players (by 1% per player).

Any event that has 100+ players, a player has to compete in 100% of the qualifying requirements to be included in the standings submitted to us.

Pinburgh going south for you? Just rage quit after session #9, don't play in session #10, and the Pinburgh TD can't 'legally' include you in the results because you didn't play in 100% of the qualifying rounds.

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's still the entire point of pinball, even in competitions.
    It's a competition, and any competition is going to cause some butt hurting. Add monies in and it's just going to amp it up (Granted the $1 here is taking it to nuclear levels).
    99% of the crying and screaming is towards the machines and not people anyway. Almost everyone is very nice to everyone else and eXpecially dollar dono....er...new people. There are always going to be assholes in anything you do and from my angle Pinball has less than plenty of other things. The higher up you are the more it matters to you.
    If you're one of those people that can't fathom how people can get upset losing at something, I don't know what to tell you, that's just how most everything works.

I totally get it. I’m competitive by nature and hate to lose. I think it was just reading this thread and seeing how big of a deal $1 was that bothered me.

There are 307 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bowen-kerins-now-a-suppressed-player-on-ifpa/page/3?hl=williams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.