New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 63303)

Bowen Kerins AMA on Reddit

By mot

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TheFamilyArcade
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7feet.jpg

#2 7 years ago

Well, I've done my part to drown him in questions.

#3 7 years ago

LOL. Nice. I asked him what his favorite machine from each era was and then saw someone else posted the same question. Doh!

#5 7 years ago

Saw it 3 hours late. Just made a general post (thinking like most AMA's that he was long gone) and he replied saying I'm supposed to ask a question. Cool AMA for sure!

#6 7 years ago

Well, ask a question already

#7 7 years ago

Any thoughts on the new Star Trek? Any chance that you got a preview? I was digging your AMA, thanks for being so candid and cool.

#8 7 years ago

I haven't seen it live and haven't played it. It looks promising, I like the return of the Picard Maneuver.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Well, ask a question already

I replied and asked a question but your inbox was probably so full you might have missed it.

I said "If by some miracle I can make it to expo, (work) would you play a game of pinball with me?"

Probably won't be able to make it, but I'm going to try seeing how my voice is going to be featured in Ben Heck's next game. Won it as a raffle prize at Mad Rollin Pinball tourney last week (best raffle prize ever?). My son says now we have to buy it.

#10 7 years ago

Lots of dumb "Pinball Wizard" questions/comments (to be expected from Reddit I guess) but most got downvoted. I asked the question about the resurgence of pinball, so thanks for answering.

Nice job on the AMA - it's a good thing for pinball!

#11 7 years ago

Hey Bowen, you mentioned in the AMA that you thought CC was overrated -- Have you ever tried CCC?

#12 7 years ago

What do the devil horns do?

#13 7 years ago

Who is the true pinball champion - Leo Daniels or Hank?

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Nice job on the AMA - it's a good thing for pinball!

Definitely!

#15 7 years ago

Bowen,

I asked you plenty of questions on the AMA - and you even answered most of them (thank you!) - but if you're willing to answer more, I've got a few.

I asked about your favorite shot (NGG, hole-in-one), but I'd love to know more of your favorites. I wanted to ask about your favorite 2-way combos (with the Picard maneuver in mind), 3-way combos, etc.

I'd also love to hear about certain games on which you first cultivated specific skills, or games which are particularly well suited for learning certain skills. I'm sure a lot of EMs will teach you about nudging in a hurry. I learned a ton about drop catches when I got a Road Show with a city kickout that's stupidly easy to drop catch. I've watched your CFTBL tutorial many times, and the way you do live catches after hitting the slide is ridiculous. I've done only a handful of live catches in the thousands of games I've played on mine. (Could that be differences in the flippers?).

I was trying to get you to nerd out as much as possible, so please know that anything you want to ramble on about will have an audience here.

Thanks,
    Tom

#16 7 years ago

I would ask a question but now that we know you prefer your toilet paper serverd over the top, what more could we possibly need to know?

#17 7 years ago

i lol'ed when the guy asked bowen about future prices of pinball machines.

#18 7 years ago

Bowen's ability to narrate while playing is in a class by itself. Amazing talent.

#19 7 years ago

That's not Bowen.

7feet.jpg

#20 7 years ago

I just saw Bowen's facebook update: "Ooh, looks like I get to join the "my comment was censored by Stern's Facebook" club!"

Doesn't seem like the best PR move

#21 7 years ago

I had a comment remove from a stern fb post yesterday as well. They posted pics of sparky cookies, and i commented that the cookie looked like the key chain we didnt get in our Met pinball goody bags...

#22 7 years ago

Bowen dusting off his woz shirt as we speak

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

I had a comment remove from a stern fb post yesterday as well. They posted pics of sparky cookies, and i commented that the cookie looked like the key chain we didnt get in our Met pinball goody bags...

They removed me from the facebook page when i commented that my local dealer didn't carry Ac/Dc. I reliked the page and now they've disabled my ability to comment on their posts. I "unliked" them again. Screw them, never buying one of their games.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from sk8ball:

What do the devil horns do?

NOTHING

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

I would ask a question but now that we know you prefer your toilet paper serverd over the top, what more could we possibly need to know?

Nobody asked me whose music video Courteney Cox starred in, thankfully.

#26 7 years ago

Stern sucks at the Internet. It's really kind of pathetic.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Bowen,
    I asked you plenty of questions on the AMA - and you even answered most of them (thank you!) - but if you're willing to answer more, I've got a few.
    I asked about your favorite shot (NGG, hole-in-one), but I'd love to know more of your favorites. I wanted to ask about your favorite 2-way combos (with the Picard maneuver in mind), 3-way combos, etc.
    I'd also love to hear about certain games on which you first cultivated specific skills, or games which are particularly well suited for learning certain skills. I'm sure a lot of EMs will teach you about nudging in a hurry. I learned a ton about drop catches when I got a Road Show with a city kickout that's stupidly easy to drop catch. I've watched your CFTBL tutorial many times, and the way you do live catches after hitting the slide is ridiculous. I've done only a handful of live catches in the thousands of games I've played on mine. (Could that be differences in the flippers?).
    I was trying to get you to nerd out as much as possible, so please know that anything you want to ramble on about will have an audience here.
    Thanks,
    Tom

It's hard to single out a few favorite shots or combos. Picard Maneuver is classic and I definitely like the 2-way combo action on Shadow. The back-and-forth ramps on AC/DC are a lot of fun.

Skills in shooting, I learned a lot in the mid-80s but remember getting a lot better around the time of Earthshaker -- played a ton of that, Whirlwind, Elvira, Funhouse, T2, Addams, all of these at the same local arcade, only one of two places I knew that had more than 1 pin. I learned live catching around this time. I didn't learn anything about nudging and generally didn't do drop catches until meeting the CA crew when I was in college, learning a ton from Stetta and Shatz.

The last 10 years I've gotten a lot better at the older stuff thanks to its increasing emphasis in tournaments and the help of local New England players who have heavy early solid state collections. Getting killed by Paragon and Flash Gordon will help you with nudging and tap passing in a hurry.

I'm still not sure what makes live catches difficult except for the tight timing. There are models of game (notably 70s Williams) where live catches do not work because of the flipper mechs.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

I replied and asked a question but your inbox was probably so full you might have missed it.
    I said "If by some miracle I can make it to expo, (work) would you play a game of pinball with me?"
    Probably won't be able to make it, but I'm going to try seeing how my voice is going to be featured in Ben Heck's next game. Won it as a raffle prize at Mad Rollin Pinball tourney last week (best raffle prize ever?). My son says now we have to buy it.

Never saw it, I'll go look again. Congratulations on the raffle win! That game looks terrific. I don't spend a lot of time in the Expo hall but track me down and chat!

#29 7 years ago

Bowen...how many hours a day/week do you practice/play?
    In fact do you just play or do you practice more...I dont think the 2 are the same, but then again Im not that good.

#30 7 years ago

I'm curious-- are there any machines traditionally considered hard that you find easy, or vice-versa?

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Bowen...how many hours a day/week do you practice/play?
    In fact do you just play or do you practice more...I dont think the 2 are the same, but then again Im not that good.

I play 1 hour a week, at the league. Other than that, it's tournaments and local things like nights in Maine. I'm usually pretty rusty at the beginning of a tournament, and hopefully better at the end when it counts...

#32 7 years ago

Bowen > I missed the AMA but would like to ask a few questions.

What is the one thing you would like to see change in pinball?

What theme that has not already been done would you like to see done and why?

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Bowen > I missed the AMA but would like to ask a few questions.
    What is the one thing you would like to see change in pinball?

That second one came up in the AMA you apparently didn't read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1mij0y/i_am_the_world_pinball_champion_ama/cc9k0qj

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say: "The Price is Right."

#35 7 years ago

Nope, I searched the interwebs and could not find the AMA...

Link does not work for me either.

#36 7 years ago

Try the left mouse button!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Try the left mouse button!

LOL smartass. Link works now.

#38 7 years ago

did you get banned from the stern facebook like me or just get your comments removed?

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Never saw it, I'll go look again. Congratulations on the raffle win! That game looks terrific. I don't spend a lot of time in the Expo hall but track me down and chat!

Will definitely look for you if I make it down there. Thanks for the reply.

#40 7 years ago

Bowen,
    You say you don't practise and only play in tournaments and your weekly hour league meet, and I have no reason to doubt that.

Is that a concious decision not to practice or based on time constraints?

I (along with the vast majority of us) feel I need to practise to get better, but need to offset that against honing all my skills to a particular machine.
    I had a DM which was my only machine and played it almost solid for 6 months and could rack up scores or hit any shot I chose, most of the time.
    However, when I played on a different DM in a competition I found it almost impossible to play as the flippers/slope were ever so slightly different i couldn't adjust. It was almost as if I had muscle memory for the shots on my machine which I just couldn't override.
    As a rule I make a point of not playing any machine I own in competition, if I have the choice.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

It was almost as if I had muscle memory for the shots on my machine which I just couldn't override.

this is real. I think owners of machines are at a disadvantage. You do know all the rules, but how does that help when you are just bricking the ball.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Bowen,
    You say you don't practise and only play in tournaments and your weekly hour league meet, and I have no reason to doubt that.
    I (along with the vast majority of us) feel I need to practise to get better, but need to offset that against honing all my skills to a particular machine.
    I had a DM which was my only machine and played it almost solid for 6 months and could rack up scores or hit any shot I chose, most of the time.
    However, when I played on a different DM in a competition I found it almost impossible to play as the flippers/slope were ever so slightly different i couldn't adjust. It was almost as if I had muscle memory for the shots on my machine which I just couldn't override.
    As a rule I make a point of not playing any machine I own in competition, if I have the choice.

I think you're just choking! And when it happens to me I KNOW I'm choking! That and that tournament machines are set up hard. Im sure theres something to it, but Id bet its mostly mental (and not mental "memory"). With all the differentiation between machines your faced with in a tourney, playing a model you own shouldn't make much difference. IMO you'll adjust faster to the game (you own) because you know the game inside and out.

At PAPA a couple years ago I "warmed up" on the SM on the floor and got the GC score (about 225M or so). Then I proceeded to score 21M on the machine in the A bank (I no longer attempt to play in the A banks!). No rhyme or reason to that except that A bank machine was greased lightening, with no center post, and I wilted under the pressure of competing for money and glory. Lol.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I wilted under the pressure of competing for money and glory. Lol.

I hear that. I seem to be cursed with drain-without-even-flipping syndrome whenever I play in a tournament. Then I get pissed off, and so much for my concentration at that point! Very frustrating.

And I hate waiting in lines, that doesn't help either. Stand around for twenty minutes, watching physics work perfectly normally for everyone else it seems, then it's my turn and I'm supposed to tell myself I'm all warmed up and ready to kick butt? Does it get easier once you've qualified?

At least I'm a pinball god in my own basement.

#44 7 years ago

Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Bowen,

Just life I guess. I would probably play more pinball given the choice, though I suppose I have the choice to play my own 2 machines whenever. Tournaments are more frequent now so there are good ways to get a fix.

With your own machine in competition, you have to be especially careful about feeds and shot timing, since you're inevitably going to lock in on something that isn't right. It can be tough to unlearn. We have a Simpsons in league and I always play worse than I play at home.

#46 7 years ago

I think you're just choking! And when it happens to me I KNOW I'm choking! That and that tournament machines are set up hard. Im sure theres something to it, but Id bet its mostly mental (and not mental "memory"). With all the differentiation between machines your faced with in a tourney, playing a model you own shouldn't make much difference. IMO you'll adjust faster to the game (you own) because you know the game inside and out.
    At PAPA a couple years ago I "warmed up" on the SM on the floor and got the GC score (about 225M or so). Then I proceeded to score 21M on the machine in the A bank (I no longer attempt to play in the A banks!). No rhyme or reason to that except that A bank machine was greased lightening, with no center post, and I wilted under the pressure of competing for money and glory. Lol.

The only way around choking is to play more events, unless you can train yourself to ignore the pressure of the situation.

I prefer not to warm up on any equivalent model of game, since the shots and posts and speed will be different, it usually screws me up royally.

#47 7 years ago

I think you're just choking!

I think it's definitely down to 'remembering' a machine set-up.

As an example I took my DM to a league meet to make up the numbers. I AVERAGED over 2b per game at home (4 ball no EBs). Set it up at the meeting and scored less than 300m in the comp, and even after comp had finished couldn't get over 1b as it was set up ever so slightly shallower than I had it at home.

Whereas a few of us get together once a week and rotate houses, I've got my name on everyone else's machines but no-one has got their name on any of mine, because I have got used to those machines and know the timings of the shots so well.

Every comp I've entered in the UK you only have a single game per machine. Not like some PAPA events when you can keep rebuying entries and 'learn' a table or have another entry if you get a SDTM . It's $h1t or bust first time. There's no chance to learn a machines' quirks - or even how sensitive the tilt is! (PS I won the Midlands Area of the UK Pinball League last year in my debut year, and was just 1/2 point off retaining it again this year, so I don't think it's all down to the pressure)

I'm over for the SPF in November so I'll get to see if being able to have more than one entry at a comp lets me perform better, or if the nerves of playing with 'the big boys' gets to me?

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

The only way around choking is to play more events, unless you can train yourself to ignore the pressure of the situation.
    I prefer not to warm up on any equivalent model of game, since the shots and posts and speed will be different, it usually screws me up royally.

I agree 100#. I don't get to play many tournaments, but I'm much better now than I used to be purely due to experience.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 399.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 76.00
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 25.00
    Various Other Swag
    Tommy's Pins
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 3.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 700.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside