Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

edited (resized).jpg
0Bow-Arrow-Work3 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161008_215229 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161008_215212 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I just got this pin last weekend and I'm working on getting it back to working order. Thr people who has it before me were very creative in the way things got fixed.

I've undone the hacky way Freeplay was added and now have noticed that no matter the credit count the game runs 4 player.

I suspect the big bundle of clipped wires has something to do with it.

Any suggestions on where to look here? A lot of the paper labels have fallen so I'm a bit lost inside the cabinet.

IMG_20161008_215212 (resized).jpgIMG_20161008_215212 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161008_215229 (resized).jpgIMG_20161008_215229 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I did a bit more digging here are the colors for all the cut wires:
- Blue/Red
- Grey/Black
- White/Orange
- Black/Yellow
- Orange/White(maybe yellow)
- Red/Black
- Orange
- White

#3 7 years ago

the loose wires may be for a feature not present on your game.
thats too many to have cut all at once.
look back at your "un hack" and be sure it works as it is intended to.
Then, look at the player and ball units, if it has them.

#4 7 years ago

"no matter the credit count the game runs 4 player.
Any suggestions on where to look here?"

Step 1: Get the schematic. Lots of sources for this. Pinball Resource is an easy call

Step 2: Check the player step-up unit. If it's continuously stuck on 4 player, it's not decrementing on start-up. Probably frozen in place from the old grease. Needs to be cleaned and lubed to function properly.

#5 7 years ago

Hi cyberkni
great, ipdb has schematics AND manual: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bow-and-arrow-permanent-4-player-game - look in the manual, page-4, at "2.C": The coin-relay through an open #3 ... resets COIN-UNIT, BALL count UNIT, PLAYER up UNIT - look for these steppers in the Cabinet and in the Backbox - have a friend pressing the Replay / Start-Button and YOU WATCH --- do You see the RESET-Coils on these Units fire ?

ESPECIALLY the "COIN-UNIT - it should be named 'HOW MANY PLAYERS want to participate in the next game'-Unit" - IF (if) THIS Unit does NOT reset at start-up: ALWAYS a Four-player-Game.
Here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=362&picno=58123 I see (lower left corner) A ONE-Player-Game (has ended) - question: WHAT is shown in YOUR Backglass ?
IF (if) "4" then "fault in Coin-Unit"
IF (if) "1" then the Coin-Unit is good - we then have to look at "stepping" - in the schematics at C/D/E - 17/18/19, greetings Rolf
P.S.: The "cut wires" - I would look at when You do trouble-shoot OTHER stuff - problems - maybe the problems lead us to "cut wire(s)" (?)

#6 7 years ago

Messed around with the coin unit tonight. It was stepping and resetting fine. However, I found that if I manually step it to the second position the game will correctly play a 2 player game. I decided that the contacts are probably not connecting quite right so I've begun the process of disassembly, cleaning, and reinstallation.

Beyond that I've noticed that first coin seems to trigger the reset not the start button. I checked the switch and it's not stuck.

#7 7 years ago

Hi cyberkni
when the problems are: Can I start and play a 1-player-game ? Can I start and play a 2-player-game ? Can I start a 3, 4-player-game ? --- when the focus is on these questions: I prefer starting the games by using the "Replay-Button" in the front of the pin (near the player).
The reason is: Every pin does the start "using the Replay-Button" the same way.
When we use the Coin-Slots: Some pins only have ONE Coin-Chute and so ONE XX-Cent-Relay --- Some pins have TWO ... --- Some pins have THREE ...
AND: Some pins have the feature "TWO coins are needed to start a game", AND: Some pins may ONLY step-up the Credit-Wheel - others do the step-up and start a game, some do only start a game. Question: Can YOU start a game by using the Replay-Button ?

In Your post-6 I read "Can start a ONE-Player-Game and play it" - cannot start a TWO-Player-Game --- BUT when I manually step-up the Coin-Unit: THEN I can play a 2-Player-Game - question: Do I read right ?

See the JPG - the pin is in state Game-Over, points are on the Score-Drums. (Marked orange stuff) Pushing the Replay-Button does activate the Credit-Relay, the Credit-Relay activates the Coin-Relay, pulling Coin-Relay activates the Reset-Relay, also lets the Score-Motor run.
Shortly after that the turning Score-Motor reaches position-3 - NOW a shot of electricity is fired: "Closed-Switch on pulling Coin-Relay", "closed Switch Score-Motor-3-B, "moved Make-and-Brake-Switch on pulling Reset-Relay" --- the shot of electricity reaches "Coin-Unit, Ball-Count-Unit, Player-Unit" - they do RESET.
More stuff is done in resetting - finally the ball is kicked over to the Shooter-Alley - pin is ready for a ONE-Player-Game.

You press again the Replay-Button --- Credit-Relay, Coin-Relay, Score-Motor, Reset-Relay pulls-in and a tenth of a second later Reset-Relay let go (as there is nothing to reset , Score-Drums ARE already resetted). NOW a shot of electricity is fired: "Closed-Switch on pulling Coin-Relay", "closed Switch Score-Motor-3-B, "NOT moved Make-and-Brake-Switch on Reset-Relay - as the relay is NOT pulling" --- the shot of electricity reaches "Coin-Unit STEP-UP-Coil" - and so the pin is ready for a 2-Player-Game.

So You should inspect the (encircled orange) "Make-and-Brake-Switch on Reset-Relay" for connectivity wire-W-BR (through switch) to wire-R-B.

No Luck ??? If No Luck: Want to try the functionality of "Coin-Unit-Step-UP-COIL" by using a Jumper-Wire ? Clip-on at "Lug on Step-UP-Coil, side "wire-R-B is soldered-on". Take the other end of the Jumper-Wire NEAR "transformer-lug-YELLOW" - lay it down NOT touching metal.
Start a game ... pin comes to idle - NOW take the Jumper-Wire and tip its gator-clip onto "transformer-lug-YELLOW" - question: Does the Step-UP-coil fires ? Greetings Rolf

0Bow-Arrow-Work3 (resized).jpg0Bow-Arrow-Work3 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

I finished cleaning and re-installing my coin unit so I performed some more tests.

Here is what happens with the coin unit for each flip of the coin switch
-First coin, resets occur on all the units that I expect, including the coin unit. The conclusion is the ball kickout firing. The backglass has the 1 player light on. 2,3,4 are still off
-Second coin, the coin unit advances one step. The backglass now has the 1 and 2 player lights on(2nd player light seems to be somewhat intermittant), 3 and 4 are off.
-Third coin, the coin unit advances one step. The backglass now has the 1, 2,3 player lights on. 4 is off.
-Fourth coin, the coin unit advances one step. The backglass now has the 1, 2,3,4 player lights on.

I played a little at each of the respective coin counts see if the game would run for the correct number of players. In all of the cases I listed above the game progressed through 4 players during game play.

At this point I turned my attention to credits. I attempted to advance the credit wheel using the credit relay(and by adding more than 4 coins) but that did not do it. Instead I shut the game off and manually advanced the credit wheel.

With these manually added credits I applied a similar process with repeated presses of replay (and then after the test re-adding credits).

-First press of replay, game starts, reset coils all fire (I discovered here that my spring tension on my re-assembled coin unit is off). Backglass shows 1 only and the game progressed correctly through a 1 player game
-Two presses of replay, all correct results but a 4 player game.
-Same results for 3 presses and 4.

One thing is clear, the coin unit does get reset.

#9 7 years ago

I found my issue. The wipers on the top of the coin unit are off by a 1mm at each step. The top edge of this unit feeds in to the player unit and if there is no connection for 1,2, or 3 players then the game goes to 4. My photo shows me rigging the game to a 3 player game with my jumper.

The questions I have now are: Do I just bend these wipers? Should my top wiper be sitting on 1 or F?

edited (resized).jpgedited (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

Hi cyberkni
great - You found the fault. You should be able to loosen some screws and then turn the bakelite plate a bit - (I have NO Bally pin , I have NEVER worked on a Bally pin (OK - I can read the schematics) ). Want to read this topic (?): https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gigi-match-lamps-not-lighting-consistently ? Greetings Rolf

#11 7 years ago

Looks like its more about adjusting the spring stop angle than moving the bakelite plate. There is a minimal amount of play in it, not enough to move it in to the right position.

#12 7 years ago

Hi cyberkni
I look at Your picture in post-9 --- quite below Your "green arrow" I see one of the two screws to loosen - then slightly turn the bakelite plate a bit counterclockwise (?).

The title of the topic is "permanent 4-Player-Game" --- want to mark this topic as "solved" and then with that picture showing: Start a NEW topic (NEW is always good, attracts readers) - I will keep out as I cannot help in adjusting an Bally-Unit --- "new topic-title" somewhat like "Adjusting (?) a Bally Coin-Unit". Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bow-and-arrow-permanent-4-player-game?hl=cyberkni and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.