old playfield connector (resized).png
new pf connector (resized).jpg
Screwed (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2016-10-28 at 10.37.49 PM (resized).png
bad spinner switch (resized).jpg
Good Spinner (resized).jpg
IMG_20161026_214244 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161026_214220 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cyberkni.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I bought a much better condition playfield for my Bow and Arrow machine. The problem is something got knocked out of whack somewhere between the sellers machine and mine.

Here is what I noticed when the new playfield was connected, after starting a game:
- First player 10's solenoid buzzing loudly
- Reset cycle never ends
- endless repeating 5000 scoring

I had none of these issues before the new playfield so I decided to unhook it and power up the machine. I started a game and the result was that the scores reset normally.

I've begun to look for issues on the disconnected playfield and I've found *something* but I'm not sure what to make of it.

There are two switches on the Bottom Inner Lanes Rollovers. Its a make/make switch arrangement. The bottom switch (closest to playfield) shows no connection as it should. However, the top switches both show they are connected. However, both the switches are correctly aligned and are not touching, nor are the solder tabs touching.

The switches in question are connected to Blue-Red and yellow. Via the schematic I found other switches wired similarly and found that they were also shorted some how.

My questions are:
1) Am I chasing my tail here?
2) How would you go about finding the short circuit here? I know that in the absence of any other ideas I'm going to work my way across the circuits which connect the Y and R(or B) lines in the schematic until I find another one that is shorted.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

how are you reading the top switches as "show they are connected"?

Tested with a careful application of DMM test probes on the switch leaves and verified additionally at the solder tabs

Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

and, is this truely a make/make, or is it a make/break? just want to clarify.

On the schematic the Bottom Inner Rollovers each have two Normally Open switches (in 9H and 15H). On the playfield these are stacked. Should I be just referring to this as stacked Normally Open switches?

Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

and, did you compare it to the old playfield?

Yes. The original PF does not have these this short present on it.

Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

can you snap a pic and post it?
orig complaint, score relay buzzing, as in locked on? if so, chk your play field switches, one or more is stuck closed.

I'll post a photo tonight when I get home. The score relay buzzing is what led me to discover this short in the first place.

#4 7 years ago

Here are photos of the bottom of the playfield. I'm not sure you'll be able to find anything on them.

The one with the issue is on the pinball machine. Thr known good one is on the table.

IMG_20161026_214220 (resized).jpgIMG_20161026_214220 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161026_214244 (resized).jpgIMG_20161026_214244 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Not quite ready to call this one solved but I did find some perhaps too sensitive switches.

I got tired of trying to fix my playfield on the machine itself and decided it was time to put my my poor-condition but working playfield back in. When I got my new playfield on to my bench I discovered all the shorts I found were gone which made me wonder if there was torn insulation on the wire harness. There was... but it wasn't anything that would have caused this. I realized now that my playfield was on its side inside of on end which means gravity has a slightly different effect. I decided to rotate the playfield around again.. and my mystery closed switches returned. With this new information I decided to hook my DMM in continuity mode and to move the playfield around until I could determine what moved when the beep stopped.

The result was both spinner switches were super close and the slightest breeze seemed to get them close enough to conduct.

In the process here I did also verify that the original playfield worked fine so now its just a matter of doing the swap yet again.

Good Spinner (resized).jpgGood Spinner (resized).jpg

bad spinner switch (resized).jpgbad spinner switch (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Got the playfield back in the game. Still kinda busted.

I noted lots of symptoms this time:

After starting the game:
-reset relay stuck
-100 pt relay stuck (and thus the 100 pt chime solenoid buzzing)
-outhole bonus relay stuck on
-my right flipper doesn't work (left one works fine). Sometimes I can get it to flip ones or twice. Sometimes it locks in place mid-stroke.

#7 7 years ago

Before the even starting a game my 100 pt relay is closed. I'm pretty mystified at the moment as to what could be causing this issue. As far as I can tell the 100pt relay only gets activated for:
1) Via the 500 score relay
2) Rollover from the 10s score reel

I'm feeling pretty stuck here:

The 500 score relay is off. Nor is the score motor running to run its steps so #2 is out.

To try and detect the fault in rollovers I manually stepped the player up unit to players 2, 3, and 4 and found that the 100pt relay remained stuck. I guess I could I have a fault in all 4 player score reels. However, that doesn't explain why the game worked fine with my original playfield.

Am I missing something in the schematic here?

Screenshot 2016-10-28 at 10.37.49 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2016-10-28 at 10.37.49 PM (resized).png

#8 7 years ago

I've really found my problem now. Its bad. The new playfield is wired completely different than the original one and doesn't match the schematics at all.

I found this because I noticed the wire coloring for the right flipper (which I previously noted did not work) was wrong. I was wired with an orange yellow/white. It terminates on the new plug in a completely different location. Was there really *this* much variation in construction of a single model of machine?

How screwed am I here?

Screwed (resized).jpgScrewed (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

I've done a bit more comparisons and it seems like this one connector is the only difference. I checked all the wires on the on right side of the connector almost all of the wire colors match with the positions on the schematic. The only color off is the wire for the right flipper which should be yellow/black but is instead orange/white. The rest are just slightly out of position.

My plan is to de-solder and re-assemble the right-side of this plug based on the schematic and my notes.

#11 7 years ago

sneakerpin (the member I bought the new playfield from) had schematics which sorta match what I'm seeing on the connector. I've posted the plug maps for the playfield from his schematic and the schematic from ipdb.

The connector I have is still not true to the schematic he provided. The right side of the connector has an extra black jumped across the right 2nd and 3rd pins from the top. In the cabinet this is met with 2x pairs of black wires on as well.

Either way I'm going to redo the right side of this connector today and with luck it should be compatible.

new pf connector (resized).jpgnew pf connector (resized).jpg

old playfield connector (resized).pngold playfield connector (resized).png

#12 7 years ago

Its fixed!

I re-wired the right side of the small playfield jones plug. It solved all of my issues.

Summary: Not all Bow and Arrow playfields are wired to the cabinet the same. There are slight variations, some schematics contain this variations, and as far as i can tell there are no version/data/numeric distinctions between these schematics.

Next time I'll be comparing wire colors on connectors before dropping new parts in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cyberkni.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bow-and-arrow-new-playfield-causing-reset-and-scoring-problems?tu=cyberkni and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.