11 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bow and Arrow Lock relay (resized).jpg
#1 11 months ago

I picked up a Bally Bow and Arrow (EM) to do some light repair on (replacing leg bolt brackets and old rubbers, replace some flaky lights, etc) and it was working when I tested it before pick up, but after bringing it home and making the repairs, it no longer starts.

When I toggle the power switch, the coin door lights up, but I get no GI lights, and no relays activate. Hitting the flippers does nothing, pressing the start button does nothing.

I replaced the fuse holder with a new one, thinking maybe it was the old one causing trouble and tested all the fuses, all are good.

When I manually pull in the Lock relay, the GI lights up on both the playfield and backbox, but as soon as I let go they turn back off. Similarly, activating a tilt switch in the cabinet briefly triggers the Delay relay and bulb, but nothing else seems to do much of anything.

The only thing I did besides replacing the leg bolt brackets and rubber rings was to take the motherboard panel out of the bottom temporarily, so perhaps something got pinched or broke off in the process, but I can’t identify any immediate issues at this time.

I do have a schematic and multimeter, and can solder. I have rebuilt EMs in the past, so I’m not completely new at this, but could use some help identifying the problem here, since it was definitely working before I brought it home.

Thanks in advance.

#2 11 months ago

The Lock relay should come on and stay on. The fact that the Delay relay fires proves that the relay fuse is good. All that's left is a normally closed switch on the Delay relay:
Bow and Arrow Lock relay (resized).jpgBow and Arrow Lock relay (resized).jpg
The switch probably isn't closing or is dirty, but there could also be a wiring problem in the circuit above.

/Mark

#3 11 months ago

MarkG that did it, thanks so much! Normally closed switch was open, quick tweak fixed it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 119.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bow-and-arrow-coin-door-lights-up-but-nothing-else-does and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.