(Topic ID: 108115)

Boutique Manufacturers To Compete With Stern Pro?

By ItsOnlyPinball

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by BestShot31
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am really impressed with most of the boutique manufacturers that have come out in the last few years, but I am hoping and I think it would be a great niche market, to be in the under $5000 price range similar to Predator. Predator seemed to sell out pretty quick and it seems like the collector market (ie $6000 to $8000) is quite saturated. Any thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

Its fine just as long as you are OK with the fit/finish/toys of your one example. If that's the best example of what you can do if you aren't stern for that kind of money then I don't have a lot of interest at this level. And you see them struggling as is.

Further, I think those people thinking the other boutiques are making huge profit at the higher price points(not saying you are) are delusional about what it takes to design and manufacture something in this day and age and of this complexity.

#3 9 years ago

I think the price is too low at $4750 to make it worth while. Otherwise we would see more makers jumping in at that price level. Only time will tell.

#4 9 years ago

You both bring up good points...one can hope though. Pretty hard to achieve economies of scale when you are just starting out so hence the higher price.

#5 9 years ago

AMH is the most promising in my view.

#6 9 years ago

Stern shouldn't consider them competition. One game every 2-3 years vs 2-3 games every one year? at most I would think they would sell 10% less games because of the boutiques.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Its fine just as long as you are OK with the fit/finish/toys of your one example. If that's the best example of what you can do if you aren't stern for that kind of money then I don't have a lot of interest at this level. And you see them struggling as is.
Further, I think those people thinking the other boutiques are making huge profit at the higher price points(not saying you are) are delusional about what it takes to design and manufacture something in this day and age and of this complexity.

I'd actually like to see manufacturer's leave toys out of their games. Let me be clear, there are two types of toys: those that interact with the ball and those that don't. If leaving the latter out of game reduces the sticker price I'm all for it. Perhaps this is the direction Stern is already headed with their after market mods.

#8 9 years ago

I think there's a NIB market for sub $5K games

Fantastic Art, theme & trippy sounds on a simple machine would be sweet.

I love the WOOLY pinball. That's some fine ass theme & art. If that was done on a more simplified low BOM game it sure would be cooler than most low BOM Stern Pro's.

If Stern starts pumping out VE's of their 70/80's classics we might see such a surge in low cost original Art boutiques

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

AMH is the most promising in my view.

Yes, I agree, I love AMH as well. At $5995, I think it is priced to compete with the Stern Pro. Ben heck is a great guy too.

#10 9 years ago

May not be a significant amount but it is still competition for the limited $$ going around the hobby. Every one of these sold is potentially one less machine sold by Stern. I say potentially because there are collectors without money and space limitations.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Yes, I agree, I love AMH as well. At $5995, I think it is priced to compete with the Stern Pro. Ben heck is a great guy too.

AMH is awesome, but at $6250 delivered I think AMH is priced more along the lines of a Stern Premium. Stern pros are under $4800 shipped to your curb.

#12 9 years ago

Boutique manufacturers only add to the enjoyment of this hobby. They cannot compete with Stern's production quantity, but has and better exceed Stern in quality and innovations, as prices for boutique pins are certainly higher.

Not sure if Stern will ever decide to up the ante by putting money in the redesign of their future pins and therefor assembly line. However, the more that JJP, PPS, JPOP and others become successful, the hope is that more people will join this great hobby and prices will begin to fall with quantity sales while maintaining high quality and innovation.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/boutique-manufacturers-to-compete-with-stern-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.