(Topic ID: 76000)

Bounty Hunter owners club! AKA the other BH.

By PinDescabarian

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230205_183710 (resized).jpg
20230205_183741 (resized).jpg
20230205_183650 (resized).jpg
BH_pops.pdf (PDF preview)
16753637341843691945557653530023 (resized).jpg
20221102_132553 (resized).jpg
272811473_2820603531572048_1626844719756236316_n (resized).jpg
272804376_2820603641572037_4473259055006205314_n (resized).jpg
IMAG0364 (resized).jpg
IMAG0360 (resized).jpg
0614152123-00.jpg
0614152122-00.jpg
1412037870413.jpg
2quarters1play.jpg
IMG_6170.JPG
1399141302857.jpg
There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Can anyone chime in on a reasonable price to pay for a Bounty Hunter? It has a little playfield wear but plays well with a good looking cabinet. It is a hard game to find.

#2 10 years ago

I would say $600-$750. Pretty simple but fun game. Great back glass and pretty cool background music.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I would say $600-$750. Pretty simple but fun game. Great back glass and pretty cool background music.

Thanks for the info. I bought it for $550. I like the game but noticed it does not have enough rating to put it on the rating chart on Pinside. I think it needs one more rating and it makes the chart.

#4 10 years ago

HI i recently bought i bounty hunter .. if i recall i paid $700, maybe a bit high, but i wasn't sure when another would come along

backglass was near mint on mine, playfield was really nice with a small bit of wear which i have touched up

mine has the factory mylar on it which due to heat over time has bubbled at some of the inserts but not very noticeable

my sound board wasn't working ... but i think that has been fixed so can't wait to get it back in for some proper plays

i LOVE this game, and it is the only non em i own

i don't think it gets enough credit / recognition .. there are plenty of fun goals / objectives with complex scoring and many fluid skill shots from each side too

and hey, who can't love 'cactus sam' when he randomly pops up for 10 seconds here or there .. great fun trying to gun him down too!

anyhow post some pics and vids if you can as there is not much out there info wise - its fun to compare and learn more as well

i'll do the same w mine when done

congrats on your buy and enjoy it

I'm looking for an nos playfield still, as pinball resource had them listed for very affordable and sold last one about a week before i found out and called them ... dooogghhh!!!

regards, Ron

#5 10 years ago

Bounty Hunter is a real good game and you wont regret it for 550 The Horse Shoe shot is fun and getting a extra ball is very rewarding Only thing is it might look out of place between that X men and Metallica

#6 10 years ago

Working on my Bounty Hunter now, slowly doing a NOS playfield swap (that I bought 5+ years ago). It's a real fun game that won't be leaving my collection any time soon.

Steve

WP_002399.jpgWP_002399.jpg
WP_002745.jpgWP_002745.jpg

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Bounty Hunter is a real good game and you wont regret it for 550 The Horse Shoe shot is fun and getting a extra ball is very rewarding Only thing is it might look out of place between that X men and Metallica

No, I know. I am trying for variety. I too loved the game when I played it and was looking for an EM type game. (slower than then my other games) Plus I don't have a game room and my games are scattered throughout the house, so it won't look too out of place.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

I'm looking for an nos playfield still, as pinball resource had them listed for very affordable and sold last one about a week before i found out and called them ... dooogghhh!!!

I am looking for one as well with no luck. Looks like it is going to be my first attempt at a playfield restore. Love the art on this game and will defiantly post some pictures when I pic up the game.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Working on my Bounty Hunter now, slowly doing a NOS playfield swap (that I bought 5 years ago).
Steve

More pictures please!

#10 10 years ago

What do you want to see? I just started the swap. I figured it was a good candidate since the backglass and cabinets are nice. The playfield had some wear at the pops and around the loop area. I also have NOS plastics and instruction cards for it. The only drag is the two holes I need to repair from the route days (hasp). Once done, it'll be as close to new condition as I can make it.

Steve

Quoted from PinDescabarian:

More pictures please!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

What do you want to see? I just started the swap.

Can you take a picture of the old playfield, and then the new. (New just as a tease of what mine could look like.) Your old playfield may have less wear than the one I have.

#12 10 years ago

I might have pictures of my old one. Not a swap, but had a lot of wear around the pops and bubbling Mylar. Removed Mylar (not fun), touched up playfield and clearcoated. I was actually pretty happy with the final results. Unfortunately, I ended up grounding issues, common on the system 80s, and decided I already spent to much time on it. If I had more tech experience I would have like to keep it.

Tough getting that music out of your head, very catchy.

#13 10 years ago

Okay, here's some shots of the old playfield.

Steve

WP_002846.jpgWP_002846.jpg WP_002847.jpgWP_002847.jpg WP_002848.jpgWP_002848.jpg WP_002849.jpgWP_002849.jpg WP_002850.jpgWP_002850.jpg
#14 10 years ago

Here are a few NOS playfield shots. Unfortunately, if you look closely, you'll see that they never finished drilling this playfield, the pop bumper holes aren't completed. I'm hoping to have it ready for PAGG this year.

Steve

WP_002851.jpgWP_002851.jpg
WP_002852.jpgWP_002852.jpg
WP_002854.jpgWP_002854.jpg
WP_002855.jpgWP_002855.jpg

#15 10 years ago

The NOS looks awesome. Wish they had more in stock somewhere. My playfield is not as bad as your old one and I think I can make it a little better with some work. It will be interesting none the less.

#16 10 years ago

here are some pics of mine - still a bit of clean up to do but getting there

bhfull.JPGbhfull.JPG

i put flasher bulbs in behind the guy lighting his cigar, the bounty hunters gun and the wanted poster, and the backglass looks really fantastic

bhgun.JPGbhgun.JPG

i love the attract mode and how you have to load the gun chamber, make shots to fire, and can run the bonus up the barrel 3 times too (have never done that yet!)

bhpops.JPGbhpops.JPG

my playfield had a small bit of wear at top bumper on side near the outlaws left elbow but luckily it barely shows up,
there was also a small bit of wear to top of same bumper in brown area which i did i quick color match to as well - then to be safe i just cut out some semi tack clear masking frisket carefully to shape and laid down over the whole area out front of the bumpers - you can't even see it but it will protect from any more wear - then put some new clear mylar discs down too which help it look 'proper'

the photos actually show way more than the naked eye notices -

some love it, some hate it, but i am a sucker for the western theme and really like the overall design and artwork on this one

can others who have comment .. on mine the 'curve' of the metal rail on right side of playfield makes it really really difficult to shoot back up that side to the a b and c gates ... am considering trying to bend it but want to know if it is like that on other peoples examples? ball usually hits the red guide plastic at top of that arch / run??? and bounces back down rather than getting up into the very top area ..

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from PinDescabarian:

No, I know. I am trying for variety. I too loved the game when I played it and was looking for an EM type game. (slower than then my other games) Plus I don't have a game room and my games are scattered throughout the house, so it won't look too out of place.

My BH sits in my office so when it's break time a few good games make the book work more tolerable image.jpgimage.jpg

image-875.jpgimage-875.jpg
#18 10 years ago

and a few more detail shots ...

bhkick.JPGbhkick.JPG

kick out holes almost always have wear, mine had a small bit but just in the black area so nothing a bit of black paint pen and some careful dabs of blue couldn't fix - and again i got lazy and just put another piece of artist's masking frisket over to protect it

bhloop.JPGbhloop.JPG

here is the upper left 'horseshoe loop' - you can fire balls in here from all three flippers, and in both directions - and need to depending on which inserts light, in order to fire your bullets, get special etc etc

really nice, as the ball rolls through, the series of perimeter red lamps light - quite dynamic!

two of the three bullseye targets here are not original, i haven't gotten around to replacing those yet

bh cactussam-941.JPGbh cactussam-941.JPG

and finally a shot of 'wanted' cactus sam ... only one drop target makes it that more special and exciting ... especially since he starts the game down, and pops up to taunt you randomly (likely fired by a counter ... something like pops up every 30 bumper contacts??? perhaps) - he only stays up for 10 seconds or so .. so you better be a crack shot and don't let him get away

great fun and i can't wait to hear the sounds while i play, i have heard they are quite good

i also like the fact that this game was the first pin to use the alpha numeric display so you could enter top scores names etc

ok, sorry didn't mean to railroad your thread ... just got excited when i saw a post finally about some other bounty hunters in the works!

cheers, Ron

#19 10 years ago

very nice plowpusher, i like the boots topper !!

can you comment on the right upper shot .. does yours smoothly carry the ball up into the a b c letters area ?? without ball hitting the right side of the last red lane guide ?

regards, Ron

#20 10 years ago

Thanks for the great pics Manitou and Plowpusher. I am now very excited about my BH and will have to push to pick it up tomorrow.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

very nice plowpusher, i like the boots topper !!
can you comment on the right upper shot .. does yours smoothly carry the ball up into the a b c letters area ?? without ball hitting the right side of the last red lane guide ?
regards, Ron

Mine flows as smooth as silk on that shot and has never hung up on that inlane and dont know if that inlane has a conservative and leberal setting or not

#22 10 years ago

hmmm, mine flows up the side nice but then hits the outer edge of the last red lane guide ...

any chance you could take a photo up there, i am not sure where mine is 'out' ... and would be nice to have that shot working as it should

cheers, Ron

#23 10 years ago

Hope these help out image.jpgimage.jpgimage-626.jpgimage-626.jpg

#24 10 years ago

thanks plowpusher, looks like mine, maybe my metal rail is bent slightly different or the angle of the table makes the ball travel up that route a bit slower ... and thus 'fall away' before the end of the rail to clear the lane guide ... hmmmm

#25 10 years ago

The girl on the PF looks like somebody has the barrel of a gun stuck up her dirt star...

#26 10 years ago

or should i say her balloon knot ! LOL

2 weeks later
#27 10 years ago

hi guys .. well a new 'local hero' at least to me came by today with my 'fixed' sound issue

having never played my bounty with sound .. all i can say is WOW .. i LOVE it waaay more now !!!!

question - when in attract mode my bounty is silent (no theme song)

to you other bounty hunter owners - is this correct or should it play theme??

off to check the manual and the dip switch settings -

regards, Ron

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

hi guys .. well a new 'local hero' at least to me came by today with my 'fixed' sound issue
having never played my bounty with sound .. all i can say is WOW .. i LOVE it waaay more now !!!!
question - when in attract mode my bounty is silent (no theme song)
to you other bounty hunter owners - is this correct or should it play theme??
off to check the manual and the dip switch settings -
regards, Ron

Mine is also silent but once you push the start button the shot out is on

#29 10 years ago

thanks plow ... man i love the sound on this one ... and when i turn the pot volume to full the base and resonance on the sound is incredible for one speaker !! i am surely going to get some noise complaints now

eventually i will post some video so others can see what i am going on about

cheers, Ron

#30 10 years ago

Well, I got my machine recently and I think it is great? Playfield needs more work than I thought, but the game plays almost perfect. One problem I noticed was the game intermittently resets if you nudge it too hard. Clears the high scores and everything. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? BTW, I will post pictures of the machine when I get my new phone.

#31 10 years ago

Isolate the coin door and tilt switches/wires and see if it still resets. Sounds like a line is possibly shorting to ground somewhere.

Steve

#32 10 years ago

Steve thanks for the information. I will look at it in the morning and get back with you.

Danny

#33 10 years ago

Just thought of something else to look for Danny as well as what I posted before. Has the wiring harness to the coin door been pinched in the coin door hinge? If so, it's possible that a bare wire is grounding at the hinge too.

Steve

#34 10 years ago

Copy, I will check that as well and get back to you.

#35 10 years ago

Ahhh man. The pin I love to hate or hate to love... Bounty Hunter. I've had mine since 1993, it was my first pin, purchased at an antique shop in New Hampshire (they had many other project looking pins at that time, but I can't remember what they were :/ )

My story with Bounty Hunter:

Bought for $350, and I was 12. Couldn't wait to play it. When we got back to our summer home in Maine, I brought an extension cord out to our van and plugged it in for some ''off legs'' play. I was in love. It was a great feeling because I was all too often at the local arcade down the street, playing the hell out of the modern pins. While this wasn't much of a modern 85' pin with it's old school single ball layout, it was just too cool to own a real pinball. A few days later we brought it home to Massachusetts, plugged it in the corner, and lots of late night memories of just trying to keep the ball in play and nab that cactus Sam.

Fast forward a couple years, and Bounty Hunter stopped working. I had no idea how to fix it and a few mistakes (and clipped wires) happened. It then got moved to our garage for years, then to my grandmothers barn where it sat for several more neglected years. When I started to get back into pinball more seriously around 2005/2006, I remembered it and went for a rescue. It was in pretty damn good shape, considering the very leaky roof and brutal New England winters. About two weeks later, the entire barn roof which had stood since the 1800's, collapsed and the massive barn was destroyed.

I then tried another attempt (and fail) at getting it going. At that point, I was ready to move on from it and listed it on ebay, to try and get some coin for a different pin. It sold for $202.50
Several weeks later, I had checked Mr. Pinball and there it was, all working and fixed for I believe it was $550, so I jumped on the phone and bought it back. I've had it ever since.

Man, I've had some tough goes with it too, but when it works, it seems to work great, and when it doesn't, well....

I've had to replace the sound board (the music is great) and many other little things along the way. I had a tougher time than I should have just trying to replace little things, like the drop target when it broke, trying to find certain things like that. It now sits in my upstairs office, where I play it from time to time. I find it a hard pin to put with others, as I hate the way the cabinet looks, dimension wise. It has a funky smaller style cabinet. Art is fantastic imho, no complaints there. It's funny how many things come and go from your life, especially over a 20 year span, but yet Bounty Hunter remains...

#36 10 years ago

That was a great story Shack. My pin works great except when it is nudged hard. It resets itself. I am sure it will be an easy fix. Fingers crossed.

Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I've had to replace the sound board (the music is great) and many other little things along the way. I had a tougher time than I should have just trying to replace little things, like the drop target when it broke, trying to find certain things like that. It now sits in my upstairs office, where I play it from time to time. I find it a hard pin to put with others, as I hate the way the cabinet looks, dimension wise. It has a funky smaller style cabinet. Art is fantastic imho, no complaints there.

That is the problem I am finding or so it seems. Part sifting on eBay is what I had to do to find a Sam drop target. Currently I am looking for some playfield plastics and ball feeds. A NOS playfield I would swoop in on in a heart beat, but those appear to be gone. I think Bounty Hunter is a nice change of pace for my collection.

BTW. I agree with not liking visually "dimension wise" when sitting next to new pins. I placed it by itself in a corner at my house. The art is really nice!

#37 10 years ago

hmmm..resets or tilts?
did you look in front of the transformer? There is a set of bridge rectifiers there, and a couple resistors that go to them- if those sand resistors aren't soldered to the bridges, the game will reset. I had this happen on mine.

#38 10 years ago

Hey Steve. Let me know if you want to sell that playfield. I am sure that is a big no. You know what they say. It doesn't hurt to try. Right.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

hmmm..resets or tilts?
did you look in front of the transformer? There is a set of bridge rectifiers there, and a couple resistors that go to them- if those sand resistors aren't soldered to the bridges, the game will reset. I had this happen on mine.

Cool. I will check that out as well. Thanks!

Danny

#40 10 years ago

Shack.... it resets.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

hmmm, mine flows up the side nice but then hits the outer edge of the last red lane guide ...
any chance you could take a photo up there, i am not sure where mine is 'out' ... and would be nice to have that shot working as it should
cheers, Ron

Hey Ron

Thanks for letting me play your BH and other fine games the other week - BH is a fun game and looks very cool!

Just thinking about your rail issue ... if the rail is too high off the playfield then the ball may be catching on the 90 degree bend (or the vertical bit that actually goes into the pf) at the top and sending the ball off track.

Woz

#42 10 years ago

Here are some photos of my slightly beat up pinball.20140121_160231.jpg20140121_160231.jpg// Error: Image 180449 not found //20140121_160130.jpg20140121_160130.jpg20140121_160151.jpg20140121_160151.jpg

#43 10 years ago

20140121_160141-151.jpg20140121_160141-151.jpg

#45 10 years ago

Hey Neo....How much would it cost to fix the artwork on this playfield?

#46 10 years ago

I don't know, because i'm not taking work anymore. Ask Kruzman.

#47 10 years ago

Hmmm. Are you retired or just too busy with other stuff for now?

#48 10 years ago

Just not doing touchup work anymore. NOS, or repo clearing only, with very minor black edging touchup. I think i'm done for good, but who knows. 8 years is a long time to make $4 an hour.

#49 10 years ago

It's a fun little game that I wish I'd had picked up a year or so ago on CL.
One of few fun SS games to me.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Just not doing touchup work anymore. NOS, or repo clearing only, with very minor black edging touchup. I think i'm done for good, but who knows. 8 years is a long time to make $4 an hour.

Yah, $4 per/HR is way to low for US wages.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bounty-hunter-pricing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.