Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just bought an Eight Ball Deluxe, love this thing, but it's my second non-Williams type flipper issue.

I started my discovery with the Meteor, and discovered the NOC closed nature of the EOS switches. And also the way they put a piggy back on the first flipper instead of on the flipper switch the way Williams games do.

Now, I'm playing with the EBD, and the upper flipper is acting weak, and the left flipper bounces sometimes. You'll hit the button, the lower left flipper will come up, but sometimes it "bounces". It seems like if the ball hits the extended flipper hard enough, it'll cause that "Bouncing" behavior. If it were a Williams game, I'd think the EOS needs to be cleaned, since the secondary isn't getting enough power. In this case though- I can't figure it out.

ALSO- Since the upper flipper was acting weak, I decided to change the coil sleeve. However when I took the old one out, it was unlike other sleeves I've seen. There was no bottom flange on it. I have always taken standard sleeves and cut them down to whatever size the application requires. Does anyone else do this? Are there problems with modifying them? I can't see how, but please. Someone fill me in on this coil sleeve mystery!

The upper flipper also had an unusual mechanism - other than the way the NOS EOS switch is, this has a brace, that the extended rod slides through to keep the rod straight. WHat's up with this? If it's such a great idea, why don't all the flippers use the same holder for that extended rod?

Oh! Another thing!! I notice the coil base- or whatever you call the metal piece is copper instead of a ferris material the way the ones on other pinball machines are..

Someone please tell me ALL the differences between Williams Flipper coils and what seems to me to be very foreign Bally flipper coils, and mechanics? I was going to say that I don't recall older Bally games having Noc EOS switches, but come to think of it, the EOS on my Honey are NOC. Is there a story as to why they went with series wound coils in some cases, and dual wound in others?

-Brian

#3 7 years ago

The reason the upper flipper fires off the lower flipper is because then they aren't both firing at the same time. You can very easily mod it to make them both fire together, but they'll be a bit weaker.

As far as I know, all coil sleeves should have the flange, when I find one without it I assume it's just broken off.

Extended rod: It's a linear flipper thing. Bally switched to all 'linear' mechanisms for a few years in the 80s, and then switched back. mid 70s gottliebs usually have this too, they got rid of it later though for some reason but kept the rest the same

All non-fliptronics games have normally closed EOS switches, and I'm pretty sure it's not related to them being series vs parallel.

#4 7 years ago

On the Meteor they had both flippers firing off the very same time and it caused system resets. You don't think it should? Maybe I will replace the 12 Volt cap on that game. Anyway...

No, the wiring for the upper flipper is wired correctly.

Thanks for the rest of the info. I'll look up Linear Flippers.

-B

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bouncing-baby-bally-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.