Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ThisGuy.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Just wanted to share. I'm so pumped as this has been on my wishlist for years! Picked one up this weekend for only $800. It's in ROUGH shape: I've epoxied the cabinet where broken and am repainting/decaling this week. The display also isn't working; bought a new one that's being shipped. After that it's off to figure out what is going on: it starts up with lights, but game won't start. The guy who sold it said it "was working." Regardless, I'm really excited about having the game and look forward to fixing it up.

I'm also going to need to do a thorough cleaning and shop. Finally, I'm in line to get a playfield from CPR. I know this is a lot of work, but for me, fixing pinball machines up is half the fun! Anyways, just wanted to share.

Steven

#2 11 years ago

Feel free to share any advice to me on this machine. This is my 2nd pin (the 1st, which I also had to do just as much work with is Space Shuttle).

#3 11 years ago

Congratulations! Nice catch!

#4 11 years ago

Congrats -- great game, I got mine in last weekend and LOVE it.

#5 11 years ago

Wow....I just bought a Taxi in rough shape for $800.....really, I am not sure to be honest it makes sense to buy them in rough shape and "fix them up".....I am debating keeping mine a player and looking for a nicer one and selling my rough Taxi. It probably ends up costing more to fix them up then buying them in nice shape......but if you enjoy it and doing the work for free doesn't bother you then you are "good to go"....but truly you probably are better off buying a decent one for around $2K then fixing one up for $800......the Taxi was the first "players condition" I ever bought and have no regrets.....but it was working 100% and the playfield was rough but the cabinet was decent so I am "living with it for now".....YO TAXI !!! PINBOT STRANDED !!! It is a fun game !!

Good luck with your Whirlwind....I have passed on 2 in the last 2 months...both were rough and they wanted around $1,500....for $800 I would have bought one of those as well just to play it so you really can't "lose money" but fixing it up just might not add value and could even loose some value as you might not get your money back....but who knows ???? It is such a crazy market...you might fix it up and someone pays you $2,750.....anything is possible !!!

#6 11 years ago

Steven,

Congrats on the great find, and welcome to Pinside. I'll be the first to say to you, "pictures, or it didn't happen!"

Post some pics, and keep them coming as your repairs take place. I'd like to see them.

Bill

#7 11 years ago

I have a Diner that I've done a decent amount of work on, so I feel pretty comfortable with System 11. Diner Sys 11C and WW is 11B, but not much difference outside of sound EPROMs moving completely off CPU board. If you post any questions that I've run into along the way, I'm happy to help any way I can.

With the display, make sure you check the HV Power Supply first before opening/installing the new display. If that's the problem, the new one won't work either. Could be as easy as some 39k resistors or zener diode replacements and save you the $200 on a new display. For me, HV was good and I needed one, but just trying to possibly save you a few bucks.

#8 11 years ago

Great find for $800!!!!

#9 11 years ago

Congrats,make sure to keep us updated on your progress with lots of pics.

#10 11 years ago

Congrats! That pin's a lot of fun. I got to play one a couple of days ago. Good luck with your project.

#11 11 years ago

Ughhhhhh, man I hate you so much right now, but am stoked at the deal you got at the same time... so torn at the moment.

Congrats brotha!

#12 11 years ago

niiiice

#13 11 years ago

Good for you! That's about what this pin should sell for as a fixer upper. Nice ones maybe $500 up from that. Sick of seeing this game above 1.5K because of the hype.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Good for you! That's about what this pin should sell for as a fixer upper. Nice ones maybe $500 up from that. Sick of seeing this game above 1.5K because of the hype.

Yeah...one is posted for 2300 here in S. FL. he's firm on it too. 1500-1800 is fair for this title.

#15 11 years ago

Congrats, this one if definitely on my list. As far as buying "projects" I think it depends on what you want long term out of it. I don't mind them so much as I am able to get a game I want relatively cheap. In the long run you may pay more and may not get all of that investment back, but it's not such a big hit up front. Plus as you mentioned, tinkering and fixing is just as much fun as playing.

#16 11 years ago

Sounds like a lot of work, but a nice pickup.
Should be very nice when you are done.
Also, please post some pics of "Before" and as progress occurs.
We love that here.

#17 11 years ago

WW is a great pin. It's one of my all time fav's. Once you put the work into it, I bet you'll love it and keep it around for a long time. Congrats!

#18 11 years ago

Great game , i bought a ww project last summer . I bought cabinet decals not realizing there are two types for sale make sure you get the second gen from phoenix arcade. The stern style leg protectors from pinball life are a must . If you need any switches for the left lane pinball resource has them.

#19 11 years ago

Congrats!

I bought a beater a year ago. A few new boards, new ramps, and a massive cleaning later, I have a nice "players" game.

It will be at the MGC - if I can get the truck through the snow.

Great game - well worth the effort.

#20 11 years ago

Grrrrrrats! total pin envy from my end on this one...my humble suggestion is not to load it into a pickup with the legs on and then freewheel on the road all the while yelling yeehaw!

#21 11 years ago

I actually picked up a whirlwind a few weeks ago and am debating weather to have an artist touch up the cabinet or get repro stickers. The cabinet is in really nice shape overall. Looks like the cabinet was screened and not a decal. I also agree with pintime about the stern cabinet protectors. They are a must with any restore. The footprint is much smaller than that of the leg and you will never have to worry about legs damaging the cabinet again.

#22 11 years ago

Nice find.

I'd buy that for $800 all day, but I'd offer $500 first, lol.

Cab wear doesn't bother me, can't see it when it's tucked in a row of pins...

10 months later
#23 10 years ago

Game turned out AWESOME. Story and pics here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-cpr-playfield-swap#post-892052

So glad I bought a beater and fixed it up. Probably saved $600-$1000.

#24 10 years ago

Congrats....who is jealous?
ThisGuy.jpgThisGuy.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bought-whirlwind-for-800 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.