(Topic ID: 207192)

Bought then Sold. Bought then Sold. Do we ever learn?

By ASOA

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Bought a game played it for a while then Sold it. Then bought the game again. Played it for a while. Then Sold it again. Now looking for the same game again. What's wrong here?

(Not buying and selling for a profit)
    Home collection

Anyone have a similar story to tell? How many times have you bought back the same title?
    And if so what was the game?

#2 6 years ago

Theater of Magic. Had the first one about two years...sold it...missed it a year later...bought another one....kept it a year and sold it again. Great game but just didn't keep my interest. I've had others I've bought, sold, and bought again but still have them (MM, MB, and Tommy).

#3 6 years ago

I had the same Williams Grand Prix three times, mostly because it just kept finding it's way back here.

Now I'll go twice, but once it's gone the second time, it just reaffirms my decision about getting rid of it the first time.

#4 6 years ago

Which game keeps you coming back for more?

I've bought WCS three times. The deals were good, and I keep thinking I should like the game more than I do because of its good reputation. But each time I moved it along pretty quickly. Not a big fan of that one.

#5 6 years ago

I’ve owned The Addams Family, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Bram Stoker’s Dracula twice each (and currently own all three). I’m also on my 2nd go with Donkey Kong and Tron arcade games (and I’ve had a couple of Tempests). I haven’t yet owned a game three times.

#6 6 years ago

Terminator 2. Owned the first one about a year. Sold it to a friend. Missed having it and bought the second one about a year later. Kept it for only 3 months... I guess I’m just not into T2.

#7 6 years ago

Wcs was my first game. Bought it again a year later, recently sold when I could get to Germany consistently. Will own a mb again when remakes come out. Getting the itch for a Tommy again. Borrowed a friend's ss for about a month. Looking to buy one.

FYI, my games last about two to three months in my collection. I burn through them.

#8 6 years ago

I bought (and sold) the same Who Dunnit? twice, and am on my second BK2K, Judge Dredd and CFTBL.

W?D was kind of a special case (as the rebuy was just because it was a can't pass up good deal) but the idea is once I buy a game a second time the only reason I'll part with it again is to get a better condition example.

#9 6 years ago

Whirlwind and Funhouse, 3 or 4 times each.
    They usually went away to make space for something else, and bought back because I found a good deal on them, not because I was specially searching for it.

Orbitor 1 also 3 times. I did search for that one. Want one again but they're really difficult to find here now.

BSD 3 times. Bought the first one many years ago, loved it. Had it for over 10 years, sold when I was able to buy one in much better condition.
    Then I sold it when I had to make space, bought another one two years ago, but after shopping it I almost never played it anymore so sold it again a year later.

#10 6 years ago

I had congo 3 times..i want it back again...

#11 6 years ago

I've had two TZ and I plan on selling the one I currently have with the full intention of buying it again in the future. I have literally zero time for pinball at the moment, and I can't justify having a $5,000 paperweight taking up room in my basement. With that said, when I DO finally have time to play again, I absolutely want TZ in the lineup.

#12 6 years ago

I've owned South Park 3 times. Each one better than the last. Basically came down to selling because of an offer I couldn't refuae. My friend and I played the crap out of a SP when we worked at an amusement park years ago. That's the reason for its constant return.

#13 6 years ago

WCS 3 times, NBAFB twice, No Fear twice, Wms GP twice, BMF twice, BSD twice, Demo Man twice and now AP twice.

#14 6 years ago

I learned never to sell my arkham house books. I always regretted it, over time.

I will also never sell my theatre of magic.

#15 6 years ago

I've heard a lot of talk about b s d coming and going. Regret.

#16 6 years ago

I've had some very nice games through the years . A few I'd like to have back - but now the same games are way to expensive !

#17 6 years ago

Just picked up my second WCS cause the kids and I missed it. Picked up a second T2 in project state because it was a good deal.

#18 6 years ago

I have been through 2 LOTR and 2 Creech. I dont miss them and will never buy them back.

The first time around I was new and sold because I wanted something else. The second time around I thought they would stick, but they both got super old quickly and I sent them along happily.

#19 6 years ago

I guess I have less ADD than I thought. I’ve only sold a couple games. One will be returning (my first game I ever bought), but that’s a different situation and it will most likely never leave this time.

#20 6 years ago

I have sold a couple I regret, one was Williams IJ, and the other was BDK. I sold them to find nicer examples, but did not realize I would get distracted by other titles first and they would take a seat on the sidelines. Waiting for a deal to pop up, but missing them at the same time. Meanwhile new titles are popping up like Houdini, very tempting to ditch the thought of obtaining one's you already owned before to get the new and shiny one. This hobby is a disease sometimes. You always are interested in something new and sometimes you give up on a machine you really like-only to find out buying new does not always lead to the same level of satisfaction.

#21 6 years ago

I sold my Taxi, then bought the same machine back a few years later. Gonna try not to sell it again! Wish CPR would do another run of Playfields then I would never sell it. Had a first run Taxi Playfield but had to sell it to pay doctor bills from cancer ☹️

#22 6 years ago

TAF x 4, TZ x 2, IJ x2. MM (3 originals, now have a MMr).

Currently have a TZ in the queue for restore (keeping it). Will not buy another TAF (unless cheap for route) but I really miss my IJ.

#23 6 years ago

Bought AC/DC BIBLE, sold it, bought Luci, sold it and now it looks like BIBLE may be coming back. If that doesn't work out then likely a Vault. Still don't think I've fully played AC/DC.

Sold METLE only a few months ago, and just bought one back - missed it and happy to have it back.

Bought and sold an STLE and a STPre.

Bought, restored and sold AFM, and just got AFMR back.

If I had room for more games, I don't think I'd churn through them as much.

#24 6 years ago

TZ T2 WW FH, countless times, i own them again now in prestine condition, and (hope) to keep them

#25 6 years ago

Only game I've bought back because I missed it was DE SW. The revised code was released which made me further regret selling it. I also started putting games on location after I sold it, and I realized that it was a game that would be great for public play. Took me a year and a half to find another one at a reasonable price.

It isn't the best game but the theme, artwork, and how it all ties together is great in my opinion. With the new code and a ColorDMD it is now a game I won't get rid of.

#26 6 years ago

I think I have had 3 Secret Service machines, 3 F-14 Tomcats and 4 High Speeds. But I am really crazy when it comes to system 11 games. I've had so many games twice that I honestly can't name them all. The games I've had more than once is usually because they are great games and were decent deals that needed some work. A lot has changed since I started though. I have learned that if I have a game that I can't find for sale right now and I sell it, then I will be without that game for a long time.

#27 6 years ago

Up to 34 machines. I sell
    Nothing!! Lol. Machines are all mint and have invisi glass and a ton of toys. They are art to me.

#28 6 years ago

ASOA, you are 100% normal, like most posting above some machines simply love to hate us. A few games that I have tried and retried are.

MM 5 times, Dr Who 4 times, GHS2 4 times to name a few.

The other reason to rebuy a game is my disease called Upgrade. Early days not so much now if I found a game that I already had that was in much better shape I would buy it. Then sell the other.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

Up to 34 machines. I sell
    Nothing!! Lol. Machines are all mint and have invisi glass and a ton of toys. They are art to me.

Ummmm. Pics please. Haha

#30 6 years ago

Did the same for T2, Party Animal, Firepower and BK2K. Looking for my 3rd BK2K... and it will be staying permanently.

#31 6 years ago

I should be the poster boy for this thread....done it on many many titles. The worst however...Iron Man. Bought & sold 7 times. Insane in the membrane.

#32 6 years ago

I forgot, I repurchased POTC a few months ago. But not because I like the game, I actually sold it quickly because I didn't like the game at all. But now that I have games on location I purchased another one because good title and it is a decent earning game.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

I should be the poster boy for this thread....done it on many many titles. The worst however...Iron Man. Bought & sold 7 times. Insane in the membrane.

SAY WHAT!!! You should be committed for that.

#34 6 years ago

I had a buddy that bought and sold 11 TronLEs.

#35 6 years ago

Sf×2...ww×3....nascar×3...met×2...I'm sure there are some others I jus can't rember....it's all in fun...

#36 6 years ago

Ive had too many duplicates, I think 8 T2's, 7 TSSP's.... Etc.
    Much of the time it's to upgrade to something better, and keeping pin money in pin money works for me.
    I'm slowly getting back my "bolted to the floor" pins, partly because I'm tired of flipping games around, partly because some are really terrific and they take a lot of hard work to both buy them, and locate them again reasonably priced.

#37 6 years ago

Avatar, Flintstones, Star Trek Pro, NBA Fastbreak, Metallica Pro and Acdc prem twice. Still have Star Trek, Acdc prem and Metallica. Others gone and sold.

#38 6 years ago

Had a GOT LE for a year, traded it. Another year went by, really missed it, and settled for a GOT pro which is arriving shortly. Not quite the same game but very excited nonetheless!

#39 6 years ago

Owned original SM twice - now own SMVE.

IM twice (vault second time)

RBION twice.

LOTR twice.

#40 6 years ago

Yessir. DESW was my first pin. After a year without I bought another last year.

Sold a STTNG when the new Star Trek came out and I have another STTNG on the way.

Sold a monster bash and scared stiff in a two part deal and looking to get one or both again. And I’m a complete dumbass because I’m loosing (a little) money on each sell if you account for expense to whip the replacements into shape

I’m starting to learn my lesson.. I hope..

1 week later
    #41 6 years ago

Damn you Stern, now it will be AC/DC 3 times - BIBLE, Original Luci and now Luci Vault.

#42 6 years ago

That's why I'm afraid to let anything go. I constantly think of moving a few of mine because there are a lot of others that I would like to own. I think I'll just have to slowly add to the collection. But then I also torture myself wondering if it's sane to have that much money in games sitting in my basement.

#43 6 years ago

Fun House was that game for me, Had it three times but won't have it again..

#44 6 years ago

MM 5 times since 2003
    I will never learn

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I torture myself wondering if it's sane to have that much money in games sitting in my basement?

...asks the guy who currently has six games on a forum where a lot of guys have way more than that. We're all crazy.

#46 6 years ago

Done this many times:
    Iron Man
    LOTR LE
    SM
    POTC
    AFM
    ST Prem
    TF LE
    MM

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

...asks the guy who currently has six games on a forum where a lot of guys have way more than that. We're all crazy.

And I'm grateful for those people. Makes my plans seem completely rational.

#48 6 years ago

Lotr 2x
    RFM 3x
    Creature 2x
    Ironman 2x
    SW Episode 1 2x
    Slick Chick 2x (miss that one!)
    TOTAN 2x
    Scared Stiff 2x

Every time I repurchased I thought “ok, it’s staying this time”, another deal would come along that required a sale (finite amount of room). My wife just shakes here head every time.

#49 6 years ago

Fg-3
    Jd-3
    Sm-3
    Mm-3
    Rct-2
    Rbion-2
    Tom-2
    Mb-2
    I am sure there is more and it is common to miss a game after a few years and then sell it again and then do it all over again if you have been around long enough,I have not done this in a long time because I have a very nice vp that takes some of the itch away.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I had a buddy that bought and sold 11 TronLEs.

Guaranteed it was Don Margolis....RIP my friend.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bought-then-sold-bought-then-sold-do-we-ever-learn?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.