(Topic ID: 63739)

Bought my first machine last Wednesday, second machine 4 days later!

By jkalgren

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

playin_pinball-in_river.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Am I nuts?

Kids are growing up, losing interest in camping, etc. Needed a new family activity, and my wife loved pinball from her teenage years.

Found a 1971 Gottlieb Roller Coaster in what I thought was playable condition. Got it home and it started acting up. Got online and found pinrepair.com, open up the machine and was HOOKED! What fun restoring an old EM machine! Even get to use my 20 year old Electrical Engineering degree for the first time in a long time!

Long story short, decided the 1966 Williams Hot Line I had seen on craigslist was too good a deal to pass up and would make a nice winter project, so I picked it up, too!

Slowly working through both machines cleaning contacts, etc. Got Roller Coaster almost running perfectly now... Player 1 tends to get an extra ball or two when going from Ball 1 to 2, and again going from Ball 4 to 5... But the wife and kids and I are having so much fun playing that I don't want to pop it open and figure out that issue. (unless someone has a quick tip for me)

Started on the Hot Line machine in earnest now. Waiting for my copy of TOP#1 to come in the mail to really get into the myriad of problems it has, but looking forward to some fun weekends of pinball diagnosis and repair, not to mention the fund playing with the wife and kids!

#2 10 years ago

To the outside world - you are nuts.

To those of us on pinside - you are just starting your addiction. Have fun. A new pin should show up in a month or two.

#3 10 years ago

3 by the end of this month

#4 10 years ago

Losing interest in camping is a normal part of getting older.

#5 10 years ago

This is such a fun hubby, its hard to stop. Before you know it, you'll be looking for more to expand your collection.

#6 10 years ago

Already looking for more. Had to promise the wife I would finish these two before getting the next one.

#7 10 years ago

Lack of space eventually slows you down, nothing else seemed to work. Enjoy

#8 10 years ago

Welcome to the pin club! When I bought my first machine, I had to google how to even open it up! Funny how you can learn so much so fast, with the great resources available on the net.

#10 10 years ago

You seem to be doing quite well for a newbie. It seems that most wait at least a week before finding their second machine. As was previously mentioned, there are 2 things that generally stop you from getting more machines; lack of money and lack of space. However, until you run out of either or both - keep saving those old games!

Dave

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jkalgren:

Got Roller Coaster almost running perfectly now... Player 1 tends to get an extra ball or two when going from Ball 1 to 2, and again going from Ball 4 to 5... But the wife and kids and I are having so much fun playing that I don't want to pop it open and figure out that issue. (unless someone has a quick tip for me)

Check to make sure that the ball count and player up stepper units are both operating correctly. Every stepper should probably be checked in general -- just wait until the family's not playing and the machine's power is switched off...

#12 10 years ago

Put up a building now! Plan ahead! Garage door to bring your games in, Lot's of work benches, cabinets, parts bins, etc.. Dolby sound, speakers everywhere. 4-gang 110 ac outlets every 6 feet. Keurig coffee maker for those late night shop-outs. You get the idea )

#13 10 years ago

In this hobby when it rains, it pours! I bought 4 in 2 months time?

#14 10 years ago

Welcome to the sickness.

#15 10 years ago

Welcome aboard to a fellow Electrical Engineer.

Reading schematics will come back to you and away we go.

The best thing is that this a a huge analog computer. Everything is cause and effect.

Sometimes you can be driven crazy, but it's a fun crazy.

And folks here and on RGP are a great source of info to help you out.

Use to come up your way now and then to Lockheed in Nashua.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Put up a building now! Plan ahead! Garage door to bring your games in, Lot's of work benches, cabinets, parts bins, etc.. Dolby sound, speakers everywhere. 4-gang 110 ac outlets every 6 feet. Keurig coffee maker for those late night shop-outs. You get the idea )

..................................................................................................
**** That's Funny ******

#17 10 years ago

Pinballs get lonely. Welcome to the addiction.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from jkalgren:

Am I nuts?

Found a 1971 Gottlieb Roller Coaster in what I thought was playable condition.

Interesting....I just found a 71 Roller Coaster myself.....my first EM. They only made 1550 of them and that was way back in 71. Can't imagine there are very many left around.

#20 10 years ago

stay a while. ... stay... forever

#21 10 years ago

Let the Rabbits MULTIPLY!!!!

#22 10 years ago

The sickness spreads!

#23 10 years ago

I went from 1 in late 05 to 100, give or take a dozen
Pinaholic

#24 10 years ago

At that rate you will buy around 80 a year. You might need a bigger house....or an airline hanger. It is good to have a new passion.
Good luck man!

#25 10 years ago

pinball while camping > plain old camping

This seems normal besides they are not both 11K machines =) Then under this timeline I would think you need a place to put your money...

Congrats on the new games. Game on.

#26 10 years ago

Great start jkalgren,

Welcome to the Intl Pinball Club.

It's great if the family also enjoys playing some pinball.

No, you're not nuts. You've got a ways to go before you fall into that category.

Why, you probably have not even played pinball in a river yet, have you?

playin_pinball-in_river.jpgplayin_pinball-in_river.jpg

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Great start jkalgren,
Welcome to the Intl Pinball Club.
It's great if the family also enjoys playing some pinball.
No, you're not nuts. You've got a ways to go before you fall into that category.
Why, you probably have not even played pinball in a river yet, have you?

That guy should be worried about cabinet fade. when you have to keep them outside you know you have a smidge too many.

#28 10 years ago

I just shudder when I see that extension cord in the water, but then I think, ok, I guess that is a way of getting by with cheaper cords... The cold water keeps them from overheating!

I wonder if trout like THAT kind of current?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from jkalgren:

I just shudder when I see that extension cord in the water, but then I think, ok, I guess that is a way of getting by with cheaper cords... The cold water keeps them from overheating!
I wonder if trout like THAT kind of current?

I was going to WADE in with more puns but couldn't think of any

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from jkalgren:

Already looking for more. Had to promise the wife I would finish these two before getting the next one.

Don't promise anything. As soon as you do another killer deal will show up and you really can't pass up a killer deal.

Welcome to the madness. Congrats on the two games.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#31 10 years ago

Lol welcome to the sickness!

#32 10 years ago

2 in 5 days = good start

#33 10 years ago

I've had one of my machines for about 2 years. One for about a year.

July 4th weekend this year, something snapped... 6 more machines in less than 2 months!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 14.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bought-my-first-machine-last-wednesday-second-machine-4-days-later and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.