Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by WesleyCowan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-597.jpg
image-793.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I've wanted to buy a Capcom pin for awhile. Bought a Pinball Magic in good working order with a very nice playfield, plastics, and translite. Cabinet has some wear areas, but not real bad overall. Amazing to me that for their first pin the unique toys and being able to adjust flipper strength, the nice diagnostics levels, and things DE, Gottlieb, and B/W hadn't done. I realize I'm in the honeymoon period, but really enjoying the game a whole lot. There's a Breakshot in the local area and I really like that game. Have only played Airborne and BBB a few games, both seem fun.

#2 5 years ago

Congrats. PM is a very unique game and is a keeper. Can be very difficult and not a easy game. It is a little repetitive but worth it for such unique design. Love the floating ball.
magicchiz

#3 5 years ago

This is one of the only Top 50 games that I've never played. Maybe even the only one, I'd have to check again. Just never come across one at any show or collection. Played Breakshot and Airborne and King Pin and Big Bang Bar, but never seen a Pinball Magic.

#4 5 years ago

Had this game twice. Really like it but alas, it does grow repetitive. But the art, the toys, the quality of the build are all first rate. The first time that ball levitated was a fun family moment

#5 5 years ago

I love this game. Just wish the tricks would change every time. But the toys are fantastic. Layout is great and way more fun than TOM. Had TOM for 5 years and was very boring. I'd take PM all day long over TOM.

#6 5 years ago

I've never played it, but I've always hoped I'd find one to try eventually. It looks like a great game! I've played Airborne and I like what they did with it.

Just out of curiosity, what have these been averaging lately? Not asking the OP to disclose what he bought it for, just curious in general what the prices have been for these as I rarely see them come up.

#7 5 years ago

Pretty fun game...I prefer TOM over it, but it's pretty good still. It's too linear.

#8 5 years ago

Great game, congratulations on the purchase. You've got to love those snappy Capcom flippers!

#9 5 years ago

It's a great game to have for a while. Capcom was driven by some really creative folks. Enjoy it!

#10 5 years ago

congrats, never seen one, always keeping my I eye out for a game!!!!enjoy...

#11 5 years ago

Ivan had one at the York show - I played it a few times during the slow times at the show. I thought it was a excellent game because of the unique features, i.e., ball riding under the magic wand. When the show ended I was kinda surprised it didn't sell.

-Rob
-Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#12 5 years ago

My first pin too (about 14 years ago). Never forget it. There is a very interesting story behind it.

It is a very fun and underestimated pin. Good playfield design, drop targets! and a lot to do. Light effects are super for a pin of that time. Endgame is fun. I like the different tricks that are shown when completing a skill shot into the hat. Only small minus is that the rules are a bit linear, but that is more than compensated by all the great things this pin has to offer. Enjoy!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It's a great game to have for a while. Capcom was driven by some really creative folks. Enjoy it!

i agree. shame they werent in the pinball business long, they could have created some very nice machines indeed.

#14 5 years ago

When the only other pinball person in town was selling a few pins, my parents went over to check them out because I was out of town. They came home with RFM and Frankenstein, but mom had spotted his Pinball Magic and loved it. He said he would never sell it, but she called dibbs if he did. A year or so later he started to get out of the hobby, and he called to let her know he was thinking about selling it. An hour later, she was at his house with a truck. It's now sitting in her bedroom along with TAF and Flintstones, but PM has its own corner to show off the artwork. I haven't had that much time playing it, but it is really fun so far. We've put LEDs in the other pins, but not this one because of the dimming light shows. It is very linear, but my mom actually loves that since she claims she doesn't know all the rules on the other pins but can keep up with what she has to do when on PM since it's laid all out for her on the playfield like a roadmap.

Quoted from PinballJon:

Just out of curiosity, what have these been averaging lately? Not asking the OP to disclose what he bought it for, just curious in general what the prices have been for these as I rarely see them come up.

She paid $3600 for hers over a year ago, but it is in wonderful condition and pins are very scarce here and she didn't know if she'd ever see another one for sale. There was one in Nashville for $2800 within the last year, but it was actively in an arcade and in much rougher condition than hers.

I snuck in my googly eyes one day to see how long it would take her to notice.
image-793.jpg

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

I've wanted to buy a Capcom pin for awhile. Bought a Pinball Magic in good working order with a very nice playfield, plastics, and translite. Cabinet has some wear areas, but not real bad overall. Amazing to me that for their first pin the unique toys and being able to adjust flipper strength, the nice diagnostics levels, and things DE, Gottlieb, and B/W hadn't done. I realize I'm in the honeymoon period, but really enjoying the game a whole lot. There's a Breakshot in the local area and I really like that game. Have only played Airborne and BBB a few games, both seem fun.

Not always easy to get parts for, but I like several of the Capcoms.
This one is probably the best - aside from the $30,000 club BBB and Kingpin.

Nice acquisition.

#16 5 years ago

PM is a fantastic game! I think it has more patents than TZ. People don't like it because the second trick is swallowing the sword at the captive/clear ball and that shot is hard to make to begin with, and you really have to hit it solidly to get the clear ball into the target strong enough to count. So people sit at trick #2 for 2 1/2 balls and say "Meh."

But if you stick with it, and those incredible Capcom flippers...it's a top 20 for me I think (never actually made a top 20 list so what do I know).

Great dots, sound, shot distribution, plunger skill shot, wand drop, trunk, ramp around the perimeter of the field, great art and magician voices...

And a hidden ball!

It absolutely CRUSHES TOM (aka Shoot the Trunk), IMO.

Bally/WMS might be Cadillacs, but Capcoms are Rolls Royces!

#17 5 years ago

PM is an awesome machine! Super fun and has one of the best skill shots in all of pinball. Congrats on scoring such a great pin.

#18 5 years ago

I have PM as well. I actually owned 2, at the same time. The one I have was nicer then the one I sold. PM is fairly rare, as they only made 1200.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Congratulations, you hit the jackpot!

From the game flier:

"short circuit protection (coils/lamps), line voltage compensation, adjustable flipper power, burned-out lamp/solenoid detection, advanced diagnostics (may have inspired the WOZ diagnostics -- Bryan Hansen connection?), dedicated switch inputs (no switch matrix), all controlled lamps - no more burned G.I. connectors, etc, etc ..."

From an IPDB reviewer:

"The computer controlled lights are incredible to watch in person, they fade, swirl, do patterns, totally amazing. Lots of the audio are really funny sound bites that are a hoot and add greatly to the enjoyment of the gameplay. The moving hand and floating ball are nice also. Ball speed is indeed fast and there are just enough places to give you a short breather before frantic flipping starts again. Gets your adrenalin pumping for sure, there will be lots of yelling and such in multiplayer mode! It's not a drain monster either."

From me:

Incredible playfield, backglass, and cabinet art, unique mechanical toys, a Capcom masterpiece!

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But the toys are fantastic. Layout is great and way more fun than TOM. Had TOM for 5 years and was very boring. I'd take PM all day long over TOM

I picked one up a while back and I've been enjoying it. I like it more than TOM for sure. If space weren't an issue, it'd be a keeper but space is always an issue .

#21 5 years ago

Awesome game - congrats, and remember to CONCENTRATE when you play!

#22 5 years ago

Awesome! Congrats on the PM!

I always thought this was such an underrated game. I personally love the game.

With only 1200 made compared to TOM's 6600 there aren't that many out there.

I also think the story behind it and a new pinball company start up called Capcom getting made is awesome. Their timing might have been bad as pinball was in a serious slump at the time but how bold for Mark Ritchie and others from WMS trying out a new company start up!? And Bryan Hansen (and others) putting his heart and soul in making Capcom's first game, PM, with all the new (at the time) features.

#23 5 years ago

Glad you are enjoying it Wesley. Got a bunch of crap from my costumers last night as our winter league started. I always like having some rare and not often seen in the wild games for the players but as soon as I need to move anything on to bring something new in I get the "What happened to Pinball Magic" or "insert name of game here" it was my favorite . Glad it went to a great home.

#24 5 years ago

its a shame capcom wasnt in pinball for very long. nice build quality on their machines. congrats

#25 5 years ago

It's a fun game, but it can get a bit repetitive, since it's linear - I believe you have to go through the various modes in the same order each game in order to advance. With that said, great toys, fun shots, and a really nice looking machine. Congrats!

#26 5 years ago

Congrats on the purchase!

I have 2 Capcoms (Breakshot and Airborne) and they are all fantastic, original idea pins.

PM is amazing, and I wish to some day get one, but I don't see it happening

Enjoy it!

Chris

#27 5 years ago

love me some Capcom....wish I could make it as bright as my B/W titles that are LED'd

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I snuck in my googly eyes one day to see how long it would take her to notice.

Did it scare the shit out of her? The only way it would make it even more awesome, is if rudy's head was right under her as if she was bringing him to life.......................to kill!

#29 5 years ago

great game, quality build, toys, all is very good, i miss mine and always enjoy a game when i meet one

the weak point, as said, is that missions are linear, and than it becomes quickly "easy" to defeat Matra

#30 5 years ago

I've played both TOM and PM. I've been told that PM has more staying power than TOM, therefore, potentially a better buy for the home.

However, never owning either game; is PM really better than TOM?

#31 5 years ago

TOM was never meant to be made. They copied the theme from PM.

I do find PM as a package far more enjoyable than TOM

#32 5 years ago

Best innovation of toys of any pinball machine I've ever played. Great game!

#33 5 years ago

If the tricks changed from game to game i would have never sold it. Made it all the way to level 3 second to last trick twice. It's really really hard in level 3, could never get to the wizard.

#34 5 years ago

Which one was supposed to be David Copperfield? I thought it was TOM. Played some PM about a year ago. I really enjoyed it. Light show with the fading and pulsing incandescents was awesome. Congrats OP.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Did it scare the shit out of her? The only way it would make it even more awesome, is if rudy's head was right under her as if she was bringing him to life.......................to kill!

I did it before I left so I wasnt there to witness, but she said she saw Flintstones first then assumed I had done PM also. Sadly Gomez was too small for any of the googly eyes I had. I think it improves Fred though.

image-597.jpg

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

TOM was never meant to be made.

Very interesting. Is there any other info on this? Not trying to derail the thread, hoping there is a link available with more info.

Jon

#37 5 years ago

ToM was the one supposed to be David Copperfield but it has been changed for ToM at the last minute.

#38 5 years ago

Congratulations on your purchase.
As a PM owner for 4 years now, I still enjoy playing it in my collection.
There are many other machines that I'll give up before letting loose PM.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballJon:

Very interesting. Is there any other info on this? Not trying to derail the thread, hoping there is a link available with more info.
Jon

TOM was initially meant to be a fairy tail theme.

The story has been published a few years ago in the Spinner (Dutch pinball magazine). I assisted with the translation from English to Dutch. I do not think the story is available on the internet.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Glad you are enjoying it Wesley. Got a bunch of crap from my costumers last night as our winter league started. I always like having some rare and not often seen in the wild games for the players but as soon as I need to move anything on to bring something new in I get the "What happened to Pinball Magic" or "insert name of game here" it was my favorite . Glad it went to a great home.

Sorry Kevin for the folks upset PM is gone. My wife really likes the game and so do I a lot. I believe this will be a keeper for me for quite awhile. My problem is very limited room (4 pins max) and I always hate it when one leaves. Sold RBION, TS, and NGG not too long ago. That was painful but allowed me to get MM and now PM. Even though I hear the critiques of it being linear, I really liked my RS I used to own and it's linear too. I suspect this game will keep me challenged for quite awhile.

Post edited by WesleyCowan: changed a word

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

I've played both TOM and PM. I've been told that PM has more staying power than TOM, therefore, potentially a better buy for the home.
However, never owning either game; is PM really better than TOM?

theres actually no better machine. its like a movie, personal /individual choice / preference.
you yourself would need to play both pins..

#42 5 years ago

I have both and prefer PM over TOM.

#43 5 years ago

The thing that stopped PM from being a keeper for me was the linear rules. I really love the game, and I hadn't tired of it when I sold it, but I could tell it was getting to be like chopping wood and it wasn't a forever kind of game.

If I had more money and a larger space for games, I almost certainly would have kept it around.

All in all, my style of play is more suited toward TOM.

#44 5 years ago

PM is a great game. Congrats on the pickup. One of my favorites.

PinballManiac has a beautiful PM. Thanks for bringing it to the Houston Expo.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

PM is a great game. Congrats on the pickup. One of my favorites.
PinballManiac has a beautiful PM. Thanks for bringing it to the Houston Expo.

Mine is nice, but that was Keith's at the Expo. Since I knew one was going, I brought something different. You need to come by again sometime this month and play some rounds on it.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Mine is nice, but that was Keith's at the Expo. Since I knew one was going, I brought something different. You need to come by again sometime this month and play some rounds on it.

Can i use the excuse it was dark? Or i was in overload? So many machines....

Let me know when, I will bring some beer.

4 months later
#47 4 years ago

I would love to purchase copies of the magazine or even would pay to have someone copies the articles from Pingame Journal. I've tried to purchase of the magazine's web-site but they haven't been able to get get these to me.

All 3 parts of the PM articles are the following: issues #128 October 2008, #129 from November 2008, #132 from July 2009. I would love to get all 3 parts about Pinball Magic, but would be pleased to get even one of these.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
4,521 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wheaton, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
£ 58.00
$ 109.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside