Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by lyonsden
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo_copy_4.JPG
photo.JPG
photo_copy_6.JPG
photo_copy_5.JPG
photo_copy_4.JPG
photo_copy.JPG
photo_copy_2.JPG
photo_copy_3.JPG
photo_copy_8.JPG
photo_copy_7.JPG
photo_copy_9.JPG

#1 6 years ago

So here is my problem. I purchased a used BOP playfield because the one I have it pretty worn. My BOP is a nice players machine, and I just wanted a playfield that had all the decals on the inserts and perhaps some less wear. Nothing too fancy. From the photos, the one I purchased looked nicer than mine and was a DP so it didn't have the yellowing varnish. When it arrived yesterday and I tore open the box, I was surprised to see that it had the yellow billion heart insert. From what I gathered, this is a relatively rare playfield and possibly a pre-production version. Overall it is in okay shape. The biggest problems are the the inserts need leveling and that something spilled in the bumpers that caused the wood and paint to crackle. Well, now I have the dilemma of what to do with it. If this was nothing special, I'd use it to try my hand at leveling the inserts, slap mylar on them, and play way. For the damaged area in the bumpers, I'd probably do something similar. However, if this indeed a rare playfield, this is something that might be worth much better treatment. I'm definitely no artist, but I do like the mechanics of swapping a playfield (which is the part of this process that I was looking forward to).

So, my questions are: is this a rare PF and what should I do? Just have fun and not worry about it? Sell it to someone who will make proper use of it? Look for someone with a normal PF for a trade?

Opening box and noticing the yellow billion heart -- time to grab the camera:
photo_copy_9.JPG

Quickly cleaned, backlit
photo_copy_7.JPG

Front-lit
photo_copy_8.JPG

#2 6 years ago

More photos: Diamond Plate logo and numbers on PF bottom edge. Great to know what these mean. Could the '61' possibly mean the 61st playfield made in this run?

photo_copy_3.JPG photo_copy_2.JPG photo_copy.JPG photo.JPG

#3 6 years ago

More photos: popped inserts, bumper damage area -- any suggestions on what to do about the seam created in the paint around the inserts or how to secure the damaged area in the bumpers. Note that the bumpers are under a miniplay field so are directly not visible.

photo_copy_5.JPG photo_copy_6.JPG photo_copy_4.JPG

#4 6 years ago

Wow. Nice find. Worthy of restoring.

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago

Restoring that looks like far too much headache.
Best you mail it to me immediately and I'll deal with that 'old' PF for you.

...brilliant find.

#6 6 years ago

I love that game.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Wow. Nice find. Worthy of restoring.
LTG : )

Thank LTG!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Hatska1:

Restoring that looks like far too much headache.
Best you mail it to me immediately and I'll deal with that 'old' PF for you.
...brilliant find.

You don't know how true that is for me. Wrench and screwdriver -- no problem. Paint and color matching -- no way

#9 6 years ago

How the EFF does a diamonplate PF get trashed that badly in the pops...ugh! It's worth restoring. Whether or not YOU want to spend the ~700$ it would take to get it restored and clearcoated is ultimately your decision. That entire area in the pop bumpers is a lost cause it looks like to ME, but I'm not a professional restorer. THe only way I can think of with my amateur brain is to sand it out, level it out with wood filler, then do a huge-arse waterslide decal and clear over it. =|

#10 6 years ago

Pinging captain Neo......

#11 6 years ago

DP BoP with a red heart is rare, so I would say this is the rarest of the rare for BoP. Definetly worth restoring by one of the masters IMO, but it's going to cost you. All that stuff will need an artist with an airbrush to correct, so it's just a matter of how much you like/want a DP BoP. If you don't want to mess with it, maybe offer it to someone that does.

#12 6 years ago

I would spend the money for someone special to restore it .

#13 6 years ago

I would definitely get it restored by a pro. Then, I would have to decide whether or not to mount it.

#14 6 years ago

Restore it already!!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

How the EFF does a diamonplate PF get trashed that badly in the pops...ugh! It's worth restoring.

Yeah -- the worst of the damage is under the drop-hole from the mini-PF. Must have been exposed without glass for a while.

#16 6 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. Anyone know the story of these playfields -- prototypes?

#17 6 years ago

I don't see this being a $700 restore job. I think you're a few hundreds short of a reasonable price.. maybe $1000-1200?

Then again, I'm not a playfield restorer.

#18 6 years ago

Hutchins has restored a yellow-heart DP BOP playfield/pin before.

According to IPDB the differences are:
yellow billion shot
yellow 1 billion when lit (big wheel)
yellow 500 k (big wheel)
yellow lites extra ball (left loop)
yellow extra ball (small wheel)
yellow lite jackpot (small wheel)
yellow one more time (between flippers)
yellow 500 k (right loop)

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I don't see this being a $700 restore job. I think you're a few hundreds short of a reasonable price.. maybe $1000-1200?

Tend to agree with you on that.

#20 6 years ago

I'd say sell it to me so I can restore my BOP or contact Ron Kruzman to have it restored. I have a pretty decent regular playfield I'd trade you for it!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Hutchins has restored a yellow-heart DP BOP playfield/pin before.
According to IPDB the differences are:
yellow billion shot
yellow 1 billion when lit (big wheel)
yellow 500 k (big wheel)
yellow lites extra ball (left loop)
yellow extra ball (small wheel)
yellow lite jackpot (small wheel)
yellow one more time (between flippers)
yellow 500 k (right loop)

This one checks out and has all those yellow inserts. Any idea on the number of these PFs in circulation?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I'd say sell it to me so I can restore my BOP or contact Ron Kruzman to have it restored. I have a pretty decent regular playfield I'd trade you for it!

Still thinking about this, but send or post some picts of your PF.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

This one checks out and has all those yellow inserts. Any idea on the number of these PFs in circulation?

I believe I have one of the yellow heart playfields as well... I also have a BoP with a regular playfield. I'll try to take some photos soon and post them.

Does your yellow heart playfield machine has an "I" in the serial number? If so, that went overseas.... Mine went to Germany originally.

3 years later
#24 3 years ago

Lyonsden, what was the outcome?

#25 3 years ago

Used the playfield as it was for a couple of years, bough a reproduction (red heart) from Peter, then sold it to someone on pinside a while ago. Personally, I liked the production playfield style with the red heart and other red inserts. I'm not sure if Peter still has repos for sale, but he made both the sample version with the yellow heart as well as the production version.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.99
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside