(Topic ID: 17970)

Bought a pin with a power supply (black box) inside cabinet, what's it for?

By Celiac502

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Celiac502
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
DM_PS.JPG
hamster-wheel-race.jpg
DSCN5515.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hey guy this will be my secon pin that has a external power supply wired into one of the boards in
The back.
It never really came to my attention that it was weird until
I was selling a nice title and a experienced pin tech came and told me he didn't want to buy my pin unless I could find out why it was there.

Two months later I bought another pin and there it was again, another power supply, this title wasn't as sought after so I really didn't question why it was there but I'm sure it's going to gapped again.

My question is why was the previous pinhead scared to buy the pin I had because of it, and what is it normally used for. I know it's to cheat and provide power somewhere but is it for some place real important or like GI.
I think the other guy was worried that it was being used in lue of the transformer.

#2 11 years ago

pictures would help of the thing, its location and where its connected to ?
can be the operator you buy games from does something special like add a coin cointer or other security device that needs it
or maybe indeed when the +5v or +12v on the powerdriver pcb fail he uses an additional powersupply instead of repairing the boards..

#3 11 years ago

DITO on the pic, or at least the name of the game.

#4 11 years ago

I've seen something sort of like that though it wasn't black. In my case it was from an arcade to power/interface a "credit card" type reader in the coin door. Credits were purchased from a central location that were "imprinted" on flimsy cards with a magnetic strip, then the card is used on machine(s) instead of quarters/dollars.

DSCN5515.JPGDSCN5515.JPG

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

maybe indeed when the +5v or +12v on the powerdriver pcb fail he uses an additional powersupply instead of repairing the boards..

This would be my guess also.

#6 11 years ago

Is the game a re-import? It could be a transformer for U.S. voltage if the existing one wasn't modified.

#7 11 years ago

First one was my RS and it's gone now but I have a Demo man that has one also and I'll get pics when I get home. Maybe you guys can tell me where it's connected and I can fix the issue .

#8 11 years ago

I think some ops use this to avoid the flippers from dropping out and resetting the game while in play (can't remember if the +5v drops out or something, but basically resets the machine when the flippers are activated), so they add the extra PSU to make the pin a little more reliable on route.

#9 11 years ago

Kind of odd that its only a 12 VDC supply.

Quoted from AZBen:

I've seen something sort of like that though it wasn't black. In my case it was from an arcade to power/interface a "credit card" type reader in the coin door. Credits were purchased from a central location that were "imprinted" on flimsy cards with a magnetic strip, then the card is used on machine(s) instead of quarters/dollars.

This is just What I was thinking.

I've also seen systems to ad ticket dispensers that require 12VDC, and 120 AC that were also used in video games as well. Older pins generally didn't have regulated 12VDC available, or in high enough current output to drive a ticket dispenser controller.

#10 11 years ago

Agreed, get the pics, post them, and it sounds like you'll have plenty of help. It's not unusual to see some odd bypass work done on games to fix problems with +5 or +12 supplies, instead of fixing them 'correctly'. If something is keeping a game from making money, ops often made what they had work.

#11 11 years ago

I bets its a shortcut for the lighting. Rather than move it off location use a common part to keep pin out making money and do they dreaded move as pins are heavy and just love to give you that hurt finger feeling for hours after loading and unloading only to fix and do it all over again. Its the worse part of the hobby/business moving the pins!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

I bets its a shortcut for the lighting. Rather than move it off location use a common part to keep pin out making money and do they dreaded move as pins are heavy and just love to give you that hurt finger feeling for hours after loading and unloading only to fix and do it all over again. Its the worse part of the hobby/business moving the pins!

It's a 12 volt supply. Doubt that it's for lighting.

#13 11 years ago

Could be for a ticket dispenser (redemption use) or a printer interface kit (accessory).

Possibly could be for an alarm or for wireless security cameras.

#14 11 years ago

I agree with those that posted about the hacky voltage repair. The best one I've seen to date:

hamster-wheel-race.jpghamster-wheel-race.jpg

#15 11 years ago

Is that U.L. approved?

#17 11 years ago

Usually when I see this crap, it's a regulated power supply used to make up for whatever voltage is not working on the stock power supply.

The funny thing is, that usually the real power supply fix runs about $10 in parts.

#18 11 years ago

I had a extra power supply in my T2 when I bought it.The op used it to power the backboard GI,instead of repairing the connector

#19 11 years ago

sorry for double post, I forgot I could post pics when I reply,
The game is a Demo Man BTW

DM_PS.JPGDM_PS.JPG photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#20 11 years ago

bump, no ideas?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 81.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 72.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bought-a-pin-with-a-power-supply-black-box-inside-cabinet-whats-it-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.