(Topic ID: 32439)

Bought a NIB Tron. Do I need to wax the Playfield?

By billycrna

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by billycrna
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

This is a very basic question, I know. This is my first pin and I do NOT want to screw it up! I have been told that because it's a newer pin, the clearcoat is really effective. Hence, I don't need to wax it. Thoughts? Any other things that I should do to prevent wear? Balls, Cliffy's? Thank you in advance!!

#3 11 years ago

I'd get the cliffy protectors and shiny balls from binball life. It's up to you if you want to wax it. Honestly, I think Tron plays much better unwaxed, because the ball has more to grip and do crazy things.

-Wes

#4 11 years ago

Id wax it if it were mine. Swipe your finger on it, is it dirty? Maybe some novus 1 if you want to avoid wax.

edit - make sure its a nice carnuba paste wax

re-edit - Sterns clearcoat is "Fair" in my opinion, my Xmen shooter lane already has a little Clearcoat chunked out and shine a flashlight on the pinballs, if they look spiderwebbed I wouldnt use them.

#5 11 years ago

Since it's new, I'd recommend a Mantis protector on the scoop.

I personally don't think it's necessary to wax a brand new game...but I don't think it can hurt, either.

#6 11 years ago

I got mine 3 weeks ago and it was dirty from the factory with some residue on the playfield. I did a quick wax/wipedown before I played my first game and put some "ooh shiny" pinballs from pinball life in too. It only took about 10 minutes and it played great!

#7 11 years ago

I clearcoated mine AND keep it waxed.

#8 11 years ago

Yes, clean with Novus 1 and wax with carnauba.

#9 11 years ago

I played mine for 3 months before waxing. The waxed game is MUCH faster, but it brought some new life into Tron, made it more fun after I got used to it.

#10 11 years ago

when it comes time to put a second coat of wax on, must you remove the first coat? How do you do you do this and how hard/time consuming is it to do? Thanks for all of the responses!! You guys rock!

#11 11 years ago

Ive always removed the first coat before applying a 2nd coat. Pinballlife has those bags of square patches but a clean lint free rag is fine too and rub away.... Have a nice shiny lamp over it or a flashlight to look at diff angles. Have fun!

#12 11 years ago

I just use Novus 1 to clean it and then wax.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks guys! Sealclubber.....that handle is hilarious!!! Sick....but, hilarious! Any of you guys have a sound system from flipper fidelity? Is it worth it?

#14 11 years ago

I agree with the novus 1 and then pink carnauba. A lot of people prefer the mantis protectors because they go inside the scoop and don't affect the ball at all.

The flipper fidelity systems tend to cause the glass to vibrate on the few that I have seen. My friend hooks up an external sub woofer to his pins and that seems to work really well if you really like to crank up the volume.

#15 11 years ago

Congrats on the new pin! Nice choice.

#16 11 years ago

Looks like I'll be ordering some Novus! Pin will be delivered this morning. I barely got any sleep last night. You know, I'm 35....You would think I was 8 and we were going to Disney today. I couldn't be more excited. Thank you to everyone for all of the help. I look forward to chatting with you all here on the boards. Thanks!

#17 11 years ago

Im 35 too, this is a great hobby no doubt, I have as much fun digging into a machine cleaning or fixing stuff as i do playing them.

#18 11 years ago

I really am hoping that aspect of the hobby is fun as well. I think it will be....fingers crossed!

#19 11 years ago

I have the Flipper fidelity system in mine and it does shake the glass but its fine in my book. I dont notice much difference from the back box speakers as much as the sub. The sub is night and day difference where the back box is just a bit better. I think the board lacks the power to push the speakers in the back box.

#20 11 years ago

I wax it before I play it, I just got the TRON 2d and put in a pinball pro chrome version, it sounds incredible, high end is awesome. You mention shaking the glass, that is for sure. I ended up using some of the anti rattle tape.

1 week later
#21 11 years ago

I took everyone's advice...novus 1, then mother's carnuba. The difference is unreal!! I havent replaced the speakers yet. I replaced all of the lights with LED. Is it normal for some of the lights to very dimly come on when they are supposed to be out? Also, I bought a 3D translite. However, it didn't come with the frame that it needs to go in the back box. Is this something that can be ordered or bought? I'm having a blast thus far. Thanks guys!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from billycrna:

Is it normal for some of the lights to very dimly come on when they are supposed to be out?

Thats ghosting, you will want to buy no-ghost bulbs if it really bothers you....

#23 11 years ago

Thank you! It's not too irritating. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something that I did.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Trade
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bought-a-nib-tron-do-i-need-to-wax-the-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.